Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
32 replies   4362 views

Description

This topic is now outdated. Please read the patch notes for v1.0.
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to do a quick write-up of what the (fuck) has been going on with the site's loading times, the endless CAPTCHA challenges, 503 timeous etc. that you have all had to suffer pretty much since launch. Sorry if I haven't been that communicative recently, or been short with some of you.

As far as I am aware from my own testing, and reports from members here, the server now seems to be coping with the amount of traffic in this peak evening time. It's still not lightning fast, but it is at least serving requests to people now, and delays are decreasing over time. I'm not really sure what happened and in which order things happened precisely, but it has been a very confusing last week for me, of which I've spent almost every day talking to my hosting providers, and collaborating with various d2io members here.

On launch day there was quite a crowd on here, about 500 or so concurrent, and as soon as the clock struck the hour most people logged off to go and play the game. I was very happy with the demands made on the machine at that point. However, completely unexpectedly the night before, Google had changed their algorithm and placed d2io in the top five results for some very popular keywords like 'diablo 2 resurrected runewords', 'diablo 2 trade', and because of the AVX issues 'diablo 2 won't launch'. This had a pretty serious effect when people began playing and searching the internet and the amount of traffic coming in was just nuts. Basically the site went from having about 100,000 requests in 24h to over 6 million requests in 24h.

The site began slowing down pretty significantly and I got talking to hosts about it after some initial troubleshooting of my own failed to solve the issues. Was shown my apache access.log and there were some specific IPs absolutely hammering the site - we were in agreement (hosts and I) that this was malicious, so was advised to configure CloudFlare as a measure to stop the DDOS with a CAPTCHA challenge and the traffic absorption CF offers.

Things didn't really improve though, and the longer I talked to hosts about it, the more I realised that actually there was just a metric f tonne of people on the site, with trades being listed seconds after one another, people registering, posting, commenting, autolinks spawning everywhere, tooltips being generated, just a whole load of requests. Hosts recommended I upgrade the RAM on my VPS instance at this stage saying it might alleviate the resource consumption of the instance.

This didn't work either - and was also having to deal with bugs introduced by the CNAME method of routing cloudflare, which meant adding www. to the domain name, which yeah just caused a lot of issues elsewhere. In the meantime I was trying to debug what is going on, but I couldn't even do that because the server was running so slowly due to the traffic. So it was kind of a nightmare scenario - thousands of users visiting and joining but unable to enjoy the site due to the slowness, and with each hour passing it became more and more difficult to try and fix things because I couldn't test anything.

Ordered the dedicated server at this point on the recommendation of the hosts - thank you everyone who has donated btw - it was supposed to arrive after one day, but instead it took three days - hosts said they didn't have enough machines available when I ordered, hence the delay. When it arrived and was set up, there were still a few hurdles to jump as the migration didn't go perfectly which was to be expected.

Performance however didn't noticeably improve after finishing the set up. Panicked calls with hosts, and in the discord chat, and a couple of people came out of the woodwork to offer help. During this time I had some amazing assistance from @Noemard and @Byte-Size who were able to help me talk to my hosts, identify malicious attacks, identify performance issues, gathering a lot of data about slow queries, unoptimised tables, lack of indexes, and way more performance related issues on the back end, and basically they managed to get a grip on the situation and find quick solutions. You guys literally saved this site from going dark, so thanks.

We found one or two rogue queries that had gone mad, and were taking so long that they crashed the MySQL server, causing restarts, causing CPU to spike, causing people's requests to time out, and just yeah, causing pandemonium. These high consumers were cut out, and things began picking up this morning afterwards. Clearly the code I wrote backend was not suited to this kind of explosive growth - I think the buzzword these days is 'scaling', and it just melted when both the organic and malicious traffic continued increasing.

So yeah, some surgery had been done and some very unoptimised parts of the site have been removed temporarily - autolinks aren't currently prettified or tooltipped when used in a post/comment/trade context, and notifications for trades being sold are currently disabled. The number of online users now only represents the last 1 minute of activity, whereas before it was the last 10 minutes. Work is continuing to optimise these functions so that they can return without causing the site to lock up again. You'll have to do without some luxuries for now, sorry :P

The malicious traffic has abated too - Cloudflare logs that since the start it received 42 million requests for d2io, of which 12 million were malicious attacks. This number has decreased now as in addition to CloudFlare I was able to determine the offending IPs and firewall them. The site is no longer considered as being 'under attack', so no CAPTCHAs are issued. Yet the site remains connected to Cloudflare which operates as a CDN, and on top of that, in case a DDOS starts up again, I can take steps much more promptly now to defend.

To conclude, this was mainly my fault for not having designed with scaling in mind or prepared a contingency for a situation like this. It wasn't clear to me what was happening a lot of the time, in part due to my inexperience with this kind of stuff and in part due to just being unlucky with the timings of things. A lot of different things went wrong at the same time and it was definitely overwhelming.

So I'm sorry for that, I've learned a lot of stuff recently. I think the worst of it is over now. Optimisation is continuing all the time, continuing to monitor the server and will be reintroducing those cut-out features again when they're ready. I know that speed isn't quite there yet, but it's getting there now.
Description by Teebling

Can be used to make Runewords:

Teebling 5763Admin

Europe PC
This topic is now outdated. Please read the patch notes for v1.0.
Hi everyone!

Just wanted to do a quick write-up of what the (fuck) has been going on with the site's loading times, the endless CAPTCHA challenges, 503 timeous etc. that you have all had to suffer pretty much since launch. Sorry if I haven't been that communicative recently, or been short with some of you.

As far as I am aware from my own testing, and reports from members here, the server now seems to be coping with the amount of traffic in this peak evening time. It's still not lightning fast, but it is at least serving requests to people now, and delays are decreasing over time. I'm not really sure what happened and in which order things happened precisely, but it has been a very confusing last week for me, of which I've spent almost every day talking to my hosting providers, and collaborating with various d2io members here.

On launch day there was quite a crowd on here, about 500 or so concurrent, and as soon as the clock struck the hour most people logged off to go and play the game. I was very happy with the demands made on the machine at that point. However, completely unexpectedly the night before, Google had changed their algorithm and placed d2io in the top five results for some very popular keywords like 'diablo 2 resurrected runewords', 'diablo 2 trade', and because of the AVX issues 'diablo 2 won't launch'. This had a pretty serious effect when people began playing and searching the internet and the amount of traffic coming in was just nuts. Basically the site went from having about 100,000 requests in 24h to over 6 million requests in 24h.

The site began slowing down pretty significantly and I got talking to hosts about it after some initial troubleshooting of my own failed to solve the issues. Was shown my apache access.log and there were some specific IPs absolutely hammering the site - we were in agreement (hosts and I) that this was malicious, so was advised to configure CloudFlare as a measure to stop the DDOS with a CAPTCHA challenge and the traffic absorption CF offers.

Things didn't really improve though, and the longer I talked to hosts about it, the more I realised that actually there was just a metric f tonne of people on the site, with trades being listed seconds after one another, people registering, posting, commenting, autolinks spawning everywhere, tooltips being generated, just a whole load of requests. Hosts recommended I upgrade the RAM on my VPS instance at this stage saying it might alleviate the resource consumption of the instance.

This didn't work either - and was also having to deal with bugs introduced by the CNAME method of routing cloudflare, which meant adding www. to the domain name, which yeah just caused a lot of issues elsewhere. In the meantime I was trying to debug what is going on, but I couldn't even do that because the server was running so slowly due to the traffic. So it was kind of a nightmare scenario - thousands of users visiting and joining but unable to enjoy the site due to the slowness, and with each hour passing it became more and more difficult to try and fix things because I couldn't test anything.

Ordered the dedicated server at this point on the recommendation of the hosts - thank you everyone who has donated btw - it was supposed to arrive after one day, but instead it took three days - hosts said they didn't have enough machines available when I ordered, hence the delay. When it arrived and was set up, there were still a few hurdles to jump as the migration didn't go perfectly which was to be expected.

Performance however didn't noticeably improve after finishing the set up. Panicked calls with hosts, and in the discord chat, and a couple of people came out of the woodwork to offer help. During this time I had some amazing assistance from @Noemard and @Byte-Size who were able to help me talk to my hosts, identify malicious attacks, identify performance issues, gathering a lot of data about slow queries, unoptimised tables, lack of indexes, and way more performance related issues on the back end, and basically they managed to get a grip on the situation and find quick solutions. You guys literally saved this site from going dark, so thanks.

We found one or two rogue queries that had gone mad, and were taking so long that they crashed the MySQL server, causing restarts, causing CPU to spike, causing people's requests to time out, and just yeah, causing pandemonium. These high consumers were cut out, and things began picking up this morning afterwards. Clearly the code I wrote backend was not suited to this kind of explosive growth - I think the buzzword these days is 'scaling', and it just melted when both the organic and malicious traffic continued increasing.

So yeah, some surgery had been done and some very unoptimised parts of the site have been removed temporarily - autolinks aren't currently prettified or tooltipped when used in a post/comment/trade context, and notifications for trades being sold are currently disabled. The number of online users now only represents the last 1 minute of activity, whereas before it was the last 10 minutes. Work is continuing to optimise these functions so that they can return without causing the site to lock up again. You'll have to do without some luxuries for now, sorry :P

The malicious traffic has abated too - Cloudflare logs that since the start it received 42 million requests for d2io, of which 12 million were malicious attacks. This number has decreased now as in addition to CloudFlare I was able to determine the offending IPs and firewall them. The site is no longer considered as being 'under attack', so no CAPTCHAs are issued. Yet the site remains connected to Cloudflare which operates as a CDN, and on top of that, in case a DDOS starts up again, I can take steps much more promptly now to defend.

To conclude, this was mainly my fault for not having designed with scaling in mind or prepared a contingency for a situation like this. It wasn't clear to me what was happening a lot of the time, in part due to my inexperience with this kind of stuff and in part due to just being unlucky with the timings of things. A lot of different things went wrong at the same time and it was definitely overwhelming.

So I'm sorry for that, I've learned a lot of stuff recently. I think the worst of it is over now. Optimisation is continuing all the time, continuing to monitor the server and will be reintroducing those cut-out features again when they're ready. I know that speed isn't quite there yet, but it's getting there now.

Keep up the good work. This website is a bless while trading in d2.

Scalability and servers issues are not easy to fix so don't blame yourself so much.

Some things like pagination and filtering should be made on server side to reduce load of data sending both ways. That should help a lot.
If you want to display recent trades on main /trade site it probably would be better to show first 20 instead of 200. Most ppl will filter them later anyway so it's unnecesarry traffic.

But you should think about getting more hands to help you, if upcoming members will keep this pace you will have like 20k users soon.
You should consider maybe github or something else to give ppl the ability to contribute to your work.

How to contact me to do trade?

You have 3 options:
1. From the game type /w Morph#21260 Hi
2. Join to group before trading, you will be removed after trade is completed https://blizzard.com/invite/BZyaxpcPPB
3. Send me your battletag in pm
Wow, that indeed seems like a very challenging situation. Thanks a lot! D2.
Io
is currently the best website for a lot of stuff and probably will be the best for even more as the feature list grows!

Stormlash 340Moderator

Paladin Europe PC
Good job, boys! I knew you could do it :)

Let's keep it going strong now! Cheers! (L)

Morph21 wrote: 2 years ago
Keep up the good work. This website is a bless while trading in d2.

Scalability and servers issues are not easy to fix so don't blame yourself so much.

Some things like pagination and filtering should be made on server side to reduce load of data sending both ways. That should help a lot.
If you want to display recent trades on main /trade site it probably would be better to show first 20 instead of 200. Most ppl will filter them later anyway so it's unnecesarry traffic.

But you should think about getting more hands to help you, if upcoming members will keep this pace you will have like 20k users soon.
You should consider maybe github or something else to give ppl the ability to contribute to your work.
Imagine having PRs for a diablo 2 web page on your professional portfolio/resume, that is next level. +1 on pagination. I think @Teebling is on it already.

Beardozer 436Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
This mean you're going to finally get a minute to try D2R out for a spin?

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
I'm all for transparency and community involvement, and I think this entire site and posts like this speak volumes to that.
You're doing awesome @Teebling! I'm happy I could play a small part in this.
OP

Teebling 5763Admin

Europe PC
Beardozer wrote: 2 years ago
This mean you're going to finally get a minute to try D2R out for a spin?
Maybe I'll just never end up playing it :lol:

Sounds like all hell broke loose on the site on 9/23. Oh wait... ;)

That is a crazy amount of things all going sideways at once. Super props to you for working hard to get things under control. As Morph said, don't blame yourself too much. Sometimes we don't realize where we can optimize things until it gets under severe load. And there's no way you could've anticipated Google putting you in the top 5 (although that IS a great place to be right now!).

Again, THANK YOU for everything you have done and are doing to create this fantastic resource and community.

Always open to offers, even if they seem 'too low' ;)
Typically available most days from 5-11pm EST.

Send a message or whisper (Bnet: SkyrateStorm#1548 ) to secure trades faster.
And please be sure to leave Trust after each transaction.
As bad as it was temporarily, you site is now known and people are coming to it. This is great! Glad the fixes are in place and the site is getting into shape.

"And I...am...Iron Lesbian."
*snap*
Fantastic read!

Tavron 132

Paladin Europe PC
Nice, informative post. Appreciate all the work you put in for the site and very good job this last week Teebs and helpers! So happy you were able to keep the server alive :)

"Seven Evils spawned of seven heads. Seven realms birthed from Death."

val 3

Sorceress Europe PC
Great work!
I'm actually very impressed by how you handled it and I believe owners like you are what makes a good website for everyone to love.

Thank you for informing us about this popularity spike, it was a very good read for me, as I also manage a few (less popular) Websites.
Thanks for the update Teebling, I have been promoting the site loads in game and met people that knew it already. Your efforts will pay for sure.

Th3ory 385

Paladin Americas PC
Support you all the way Teebling. Considering the velocity of scale going from 400 to 6K+ members there were always expected to be speed bumps along the way. Unfortunately in this world we live in with competition in the market, who know where the nefarious attacks originated from, but it isn't going to stop D2IO from being the top brass for the best item database in the business. Cheers my dude. @teebling

MOX 10

Sorceress Americas PC
I want to support the site but the donate section don't work = (

There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet.
al'Lan Mandragoran ("The Great Hunt" by Robert Jordan)

Trades: NL/SC
Time Zone: GMT-3 (Buenos Aires - Argentina)
@Teebling I really appreciate all the hard work and dedication you've put towards the site. Hopefully these growing pains don't last too long :)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...