Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
11 replies   1765 views

Description

Yes, but your Bnet ID/gamer tag will be appended to your name to distinguish you from others with the same name.
Akara, ready to give a quest.
Blizzard wrote:
This is something we talked about for a very long time. Because we are moving to global servers and we have cross-progression, we will allow duplicate names.. because with everyone being in the same thing across all consoles/platforms etc. you would very quickly bump into duplicated like on day 1.

So we are allowing duplicate names, however they will also be appended with your gamer tag or your battle net ID etc. so that you are still 'unique'. This allows people to play the game quicker - because we can autofill in your name and stuff like that.

Rob Gallerani 34:19 19th Feb 2021
No strong feelings on this either way. Awesome to hear that there are global servers though - what an ambitious step forwards!
Description by Teebling

Can be used to make Runewords:

Stormlash 343Moderator

Paladin Europe PC
Yes, but your Bnet ID/gamer tag will be appended to your name to distinguish you from others with the same name.
Blizzard wrote:
This is something we talked about for a very long time. Because we are moving to global servers and we have cross-progression, we will allow duplicate names.. because with everyone being in the same thing across all consoles/platforms etc. you would very quickly bump into duplicated like on day 1.

So we are allowing duplicate names, however they will also be appended with your gamer tag or your battle net ID etc. so that you are still 'unique'. This allows people to play the game quicker - because we can autofill in your name and stuff like that.

Rob Gallerani 34:19 19th Feb 2021
No strong feelings on this either way. Awesome to hear that there are global servers though - what an ambitious step forwards!

I'm glad they're going this route, I was worried for a second about every name taken from the start and having to just throw up bnvkfsabiuvbfoar in frustration.
In that video part about duplicate names it's actually Rob Gallerani speaking! :)

Teebling 5807Admin

Europe PC
WhirLWinD wrote: 2 years ago
In that video part about duplicate names it's actually Rob Gallerani speaking! :)
Fixed :)

I think that grabbing a few interesting/desirable names for your characters was a nice meta-game in itself.

It's a shame we won't get to play it :P

BillyMaysed 2185Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
pizza wrote: 2 years ago
I think that grabbing a few interesting/desirable names for your characters was a nice meta-game in itself.
It was. until people ruined it by snatching up and sitting on every possible good name combination in existence in order to sell them for real money or FG. lol

As someone who isn't good at naming things (and doesn't really care), I'm glad just naming them "Hammerdin" or "LightningSorc" is an option :P

Beardozer 442Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Picking names sucks, and the only thing worse than that is when the name is already taken. This is a pretty slick way around it. I like it.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
I'm curious how it's "appended" exactly. Will the b.net ID be invisible in game, or will everyone see the appended name while you chat? I don't think we've seen any direct confirmation or screenshots of duplicate names yet. If I had to guess though the ID would be invisible unless you specifically clicked something or messaged someone.
I personally enjoy it. You know how annoying it is to have the ONE name you have stuck with across all games you have ever played, then you come to D2 and someone has the same name ... and there is a chance that the person who took the name doesnt even play anymore lol. I love the no name restriction.

Yes, it will just put your Bnet Gamer Tag at the end of it. I was in a game with another "Shiva" and it did this, see screenshot.
Kenny_Do_it wrote: 2 years ago
Yes, it will just put your Bnet Gamer Tag at the end of it. I was in a game with another "Shiva" and it did this, see screenshot.

Blizz name.JPG
I was going to point this out, but could not remember if that was how it worked lol.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...