Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
85 replies   24837 views

Description

Description by BillyMaysed

Can be used to make Runewords:

p3king wrote: 2 years ago
Nice guide! Is there any better defense for the third method where they close the window so you drop the item?

If I understood correctly the scammer could also cancel after like 5 seconds or longer if you waited. Or when you do multi item trades..
Say I want to give someone three runes they might cancel after the first or second to let me drop the next one.
Just adding random wait intervals doesn´t really seem 100% safe.
Bumping to know if there's an effective way to prevent this scam...

Beardozer 442Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
ziofu wrote: 2 years ago
p3king wrote: 2 years ago
Nice guide! Is there any better defense for the third method where they close the window so you drop the item?

If I understood correctly the scammer could also cancel after like 5 seconds or longer if you waited. Or when you do multi item trades..
Say I want to give someone three runes they might cancel after the first or second to let me drop the next one.
Just adding random wait intervals doesn´t really seem 100% safe.
Bumping to know if there's an effective way to prevent this scam...
It's a timing attack, so it relies on the person trying to guess the precise moment when you click the item over into the window. If he cancels a split second too early or too late, then he's missed. The likelihood of the other guy guessing when you drop the item into the trade window seems like it goes down the longer you wait, but if you wait forever he's going to think something is wrong and probably close the window anyway. There is no 100% safe way to trade in this game because we get to accidentally drop stuff on the Ground, nothing soulbinds, and anybody can pick anything up. So just do what you can to protect yourself, but there's no 100% safe way to trade in D2.

Just don't immediately drop the item over and wait an amount of time that feels right to you. But at the same time, if you wait the same exact amount of time every time, then you're predictable and you open yourself to this a bit. Try not to be predictable.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
Beardozer wrote: 2 years ago
The game has multiple servers which suggests multiple copies of databases. Could have been they weren't all synced to the same time and items just disappeared. I haven't heard of any duping yet, so I'd chalk it up to database rollbacks. Things get weird when that happens.
A dupe method was already made public by a well known D2 Streamer, the video was however very quickly removed. The good news is, while I haven't seen this addressed in the patch notes, it's nearly impossible to pull off and shouldn't be any cause for alarm. I will not go into anymore detail then this. The duped items were later destroyed by the game after the two players joined the same game again due to the duplicate IDs.

A patch was also released that fixed another possible exploit I discovered that could have benefited dupers. I discovered that you could play the game without updating and applying patches. A rather serious oversight if you think about it. Blizzard made no mention of this in the patch notes and so I assume the fix may have been on their end.

No longer trading.

wale 39

Druid PC
Beardozer wrote: 2 years ago
It's a timing attack, so it relies on the person trying to guess the precise moment when you click the item over into the window. If he cancels a split second too early or too late, then he's missed. The likelihood of the other guy guessing when you drop the item into the trade window seems like it goes down the longer you wait, but if you wait forever he's going to think something is wrong and probably close the window anyway. There is no 100% safe way to trade in this game because we get to accidentally drop stuff on the Ground, nothing soulbinds, and anybody can pick anything up. So just do what you can to protect yourself, but there's no 100% safe way to trade in D2.

Just don't immediately drop the item over and wait an amount of time that feels right to you. But at the same time, if you wait the same exact amount of time every time, then you're predictable and you open yourself to this a bit. Try not to be predictable.
Can confirm this scam does not work at all, because when the trade box is closed hover items are returned to your inventory automatically. And your inventory is also closed. Tested it with a friend

EDIT: being told this scam does work, doubting myself, though I swear I tested it
OP

BillyMaysed 2188Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
wale wrote: 2 years ago
Can confirm this scam does not work at all, because when the trade box is closed hover items are returned to your inventory automatically. And your inventory is also closed. Tested it with a friend
Not only did someone nearly get me with this scam recently, but many others have reported being scammed this way as well. Unless it was patched in the last day, it still works.

wale 39

Druid PC
BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
Not only did someone nearly get me with this scam recently, but many others have reported being scammed this way as well. Unless it was patched in the last day, it still works.
I swear I checked this exact thing like a week ago, not a day ago. Testing with a friend, we open trade box, I grab an item, and then they close it. My item isn't on my cursor anymore. But apologies if I'm wrong about this, it was indeed a week ago. I'm on PC if it makes a difference.
OP

Sorceress Americas PC
I swear I checked this exact thing like a week ago, not a day ago. Testing with a friend, we open trade box, I grab an item, and then they close it. My item isn't on my cursor anymore. But apologies if I'm wrong about this, it was indeed a week ago. I'm on PC if it makes a difference.
Hey if it IS fixed, then thank the lord blizzard did something about it. but i have seen very recent reports of scamming this way. Ill also check myself in-game tomorrow. If you could post a clip of the actual test that would be awesome and clarify things for everyone. Then i can edit the OP.

wale 39

Druid PC
I tested it again, I'm fairly certain it is fixed. I held a potion and the guy I was trading said he couldn't close the box while I held the item for like 5 seconds. After a few seconds, he eventually succeeded in closing it, and the potion I was holding disappeared from my cursor.
OP

Sorceress Americas PC
I tested it again, I'm fairly certain it is fixed. I held a potion and the guy I was trading said he couldn't close the box while I held the item for like 5 seconds. After a few seconds, he eventually succeeded in closing it, and the potion I was holding disappeared from my cursor.
Totally forgot to test this. But since I posted this thread I want to make sure I test it myself or we have video evidence before editing it out. Can you test it with me in game?

Totally forgot to test this. But since I posted this thread I want to make sure I test it myself or we have video evidence before editing it out. Can you test it with me in game?
If you didn't test it yet, im up for it.

Misanthropia#2220
OP

Sorceress Americas PC
waffels wrote: 2 years ago
I’ll be on in like 40 min, have to run an errand.

I’ll be on in like 40 min, have to run an errand
Aw, I won't manage to stay awake that long lol.
I added you but also tested it in the meanwhile.

Can confirm that the scam no longer works! In fact you can't even drop the item when the trade is open.

Misanthropia#2220
OP

Sorceress Americas PC
I added you but also tested it in the meanwhile.

Can confirm that the scam no longer works! In fact you can't even drop the item when the trade is open.
Fantastic news! I’ll test it with someone myself when I get on.

This was such a horrible scam since it was so easy and was running rampant , hundreds of threads I saw posted since launch about being scammed that way. and thank god it’s fixed.

They should also prevent you from control clicking items to the Ground. This is another scam getting people since people aren’t aware it’s SHIFT click to show items in chat.

UPDATE: @wale @waffels

Just did a test myself to re-verify. Thank god its fixed now! Hooray! OP has been updated. Thanks for the updated info guys.

someone just tried to
Shako
scam on me last night lol
OP

Sorceress Americas PC
alpharius8 wrote: 2 years ago
someone just tried to
Shako
What were you trading for it? I always carry a Gemmed
Helm
i toss into trade whenever someone tries that. Then we both have a laugh.

Harlequin Crest
is a different shade of green than a gemmed
Helm
now though, much more noticeable switch.

HFA 40

Sorceress Europe PC
Depends on the quality of the gem actually, I think a
Perfect Emerald
comes really close in shade
OP

Sorceress Americas PC
HFA wrote: 2 years ago
Depends on the quality of the gem actually, I think a
Perfect Emerald
comes really close in shade
really? couldve sworn i just saw a video of them side by side and it seemed pretty different to me. Do you happen to have one? im too broke to waste a P-
Emerald
. :D

HFA 40

Sorceress Europe PC
They might have changed how it looks now in the game, but in mrLlamaSC's video you can actually see his chat telling him the
Perfect Emerald
gem matches the shade and him getting a socketed
Cap
to put a
Perfect Emerald
in to check.

Checking process starts around 3:27 mark
OP

Sorceress Americas PC
HFA wrote: 2 years ago
They might have changed how it looks now in the game, but in mrLlamaSC's video you can actually see his chat telling him the
Perfect Emerald
gem matches the shade and him getting a socketed
Cap
to put a
Perfect Emerald
in to check.
lol I guess i wasn't paying attention when he re-did it with the
Perfect Emerald
. oh nos! :O

alpharius8 wrote: 2 years ago
someone just tried to
Shako
What were you trading for it? I always carry a Gemmed
Helm
i toss into trade whenever someone tries that. Then we both have a laugh.

Harlequin Crest
is a different shade of green than a gemmed
Helm
now though, much more noticeable switch.
Runes. He showed me the real one then cancelled the trade to ask a question in chat, then opened and waited till I put the rune back in and he put in the fake. I noticed right away as I always check, and closed the trade window - he left the game immediately before I could even write anything lol

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation