Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
85 replies   24859 views

Description

The most common Demon-type in Diablo 2 isn't The Pit lord, it's The Scammer.

More Resources:
Diablo 2 New Player Guide (24 Key Topics)
Runewords & Runes Cheat Sheet

(Credit: MrLlamaSC Video)

1. Gemmed Item/Swap Item Scam (most common)

-Always always ALWAYS verify the item in trade is the exact item they are claiming to trade BEFORE ever clicking accept. Some items have the exact same item art so you cannot tell what the item is until hovering over it. The scammer may claim they have to "make room" to trade and thats when they make the switch. OR at the last second after dropping it back n forth in the trade window.

-
Harlequin Crest
"
Shako
" swapped with
Emerald
-gemmed
Helm

-
Annihilus
small charm swapped with
Mephisto's Soulstone

-
Tal Rasha
's armor swapped with
Rattlecage
or
Amethyst
-Gemmed armor.

-**if you are aware of other popular items used please post them and i will add to the list**

2. "Ctrl click your item to show me in chat"

-This will drop the item, and they will steal it. SHIFT click the item to show the name in chat.

3. Closing Trade Window Scam (Fixed. items go back to inventory when trade is cancelled)

-Count to a certain number before dropping your item in the trade window. if you accept a trade and then its instantly cancelled within seconds, LEAVE, this most likely means the scammer did it too quickly.

4. /DND Password Scam - (asking you to type /dnd to steal your password)

-/DND is Do Not Disturb mode for your account and sets your "away message". Declaring anything typed after /dnd for the world can see. They will whisper your account and see any information put there. Often times people use this on new players or teenagers and claim typing /dnd will send their clan an application or somehow get them free gear.

5. "Drop on Ground to Trade" Scam

-Whatever excuse they use, never do this. It used to be for
Annihilus
& Torch trading, but has been fixed. Always use the trade window and always triple verify the item is correct before you click trade.

6. "I know a dupe/hack method" Scam

-No, they don't, do not believe them. Ever. Even in original D2. This ends with them stealing either your items, account information or worse by getting you to download a keylogger and literally steal money straight from your bank account.

7. "Here is a link for X reason":

-NEVER CLICK ANY LINKS IN CHAT EVER.

-There is a method of sending links to people in original D2 that made your character immediately drop all your gear if you clicked on it. Expect this to eventually make a return in D2R. Better safe than sorry, always.

8. Claiming Unidentified Unique Amulets & Rings are Powerful Items:

-This is literally impossible to know. Unidentified Rings & Amulets have zero way of knowing what it will become until its actually identified. Could be
Stone of Jordan
, could be
Nagelring
. Only way for the person who found the ring to even semi-know if it COULD be good or not is if the ring dropped in Hell/NM and even then there's a much higher chance its still a
Nagelring
or some other trash item.

9. Body popping scams: (Fixed)

-They will claim you have to carry certain items or fill your inventory and/or die for some reason (usually a dupe method). End result is your equipped items dropping and becoming theirs. Just avoid/block anyone discussing hacks or dupes.

10. Most importantly, send all of your personal information and passwords to Billymaysed@gma.... jk. :D. Good luck out there!
Description by BillyMaysed

Can be used to make Runewords:

BillyMaysed 2188Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC

The most common Demon-type in Diablo 2 isn't The Pit lord, it's The Scammer.

More Resources:
Diablo 2 New Player Guide (24 Key Topics)
Runewords & Runes Cheat Sheet

(Credit: MrLlamaSC Video)

1. Gemmed Item/Swap Item Scam (most common)

-Always always ALWAYS verify the item in trade is the exact item they are claiming to trade BEFORE ever clicking accept. Some items have the exact same item art so you cannot tell what the item is until hovering over it. The scammer may claim they have to "make room" to trade and thats when they make the switch. OR at the last second after dropping it back n forth in the trade window.

-
Harlequin Crest
"
Shako
" swapped with
Emerald
-gemmed
Helm

-
Annihilus
small charm swapped with
Mephisto's Soulstone

-
Tal Rasha
's armor swapped with
Rattlecage
or
Amethyst
-Gemmed armor.

-**if you are aware of other popular items used please post them and i will add to the list**

2. "Ctrl click your item to show me in chat"

-This will drop the item, and they will steal it. SHIFT click the item to show the name in chat.

3. Closing Trade Window Scam (Fixed. items go back to inventory when trade is cancelled)

-Count to a certain number before dropping your item in the trade window. if you accept a trade and then its instantly cancelled within seconds, LEAVE, this most likely means the scammer did it too quickly.

4. /DND Password Scam - (asking you to type /dnd to steal your password)

-/DND is Do Not Disturb mode for your account and sets your "away message". Declaring anything typed after /dnd for the world can see. They will whisper your account and see any information put there. Often times people use this on new players or teenagers and claim typing /dnd will send their clan an application or somehow get them free gear.

5. "Drop on Ground to Trade" Scam

-Whatever excuse they use, never do this. It used to be for
Annihilus
& Torch trading, but has been fixed. Always use the trade window and always triple verify the item is correct before you click trade.

-No, they don't, do not believe them. Ever. Even in original D2. This ends with them stealing either your items, account information or worse by getting you to download a keylogger and literally steal money straight from your bank account.

7. "Here is a link for X reason":

-NEVER CLICK ANY LINKS IN CHAT EVER.

-There is a method of sending links to people in original D2 that made your character immediately drop all your gear if you clicked on it. Expect this to eventually make a return in D2R. Better safe than sorry, always.

8. Claiming Unidentified Unique Amulets & Rings are Powerful Items:

-This is literally impossible to know. Unidentified Rings & Amulets have zero way of knowing what it will become until its actually identified. Could be
Stone of Jordan
, could be
Nagelring
. Only way for the person who found the ring to even semi-know if it COULD be good or not is if the ring dropped in Hell/NM and even then there's a much higher chance its still a
Nagelring
or some other trash item.

9. Body popping scams: (Fixed)

-They will claim you have to carry certain items or fill your inventory and/or die for some reason (usually a dupe method). End result is your equipped items dropping and becoming theirs. Just avoid/block anyone discussing hacks or dupes.

10. Most importantly, send all of your personal information and passwords to Billymaysed@gma.... jk. :D. Good luck out there!

35px 77

PC
Also, always remember the old adage: »If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is« 😉
Nice guide! Is there any better defense for the third method where they close the window so you drop the item?

If I understood correctly the scammer could also cancel after like 5 seconds or longer if you waited. Or when you do multi item trades..
Say I want to give someone three runes they might cancel after the first or second to let me drop the next one.
Just adding random wait intervals doesn´t really seem 100% safe.

Beardozer 442Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
haha, I lost all my items back when I was like 13 because 'this guy knows a dupe'. The guy who knew the guy that knew a dupe DID know a dupe before, so I had to double-dip. This is a good lesson that carries into real life though, so I'm glad I learned it when I was young with something that didn't actually matter.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
Where is the bugged leg one? Oh man, that stuff was really hilarious.

Basically you needed a
Charsi
quest and use the Wyrt's leg with her, which would effectively make the leg rare.

Then, with a sorceress (or another character with access to
Telekinesis
) you'd pretend that this leg allowed you to become invisible in town, while in reality you'd use
Telekinesis
and just map out of town (usually
Cold Plains
), then magically come back (by teleporting all the way from
Cold Plains
in order to avoid suspicion).

How do I know it so well? Uh… I've been young at some point. And really dumb.
OP

Sorceress Americas PC
Nostradanus wrote: 2 years ago
Then, with a sorceress (or another character with access to
Telekinesis
) you'd pretend that this leg allowed you to become invisible in town, while in reality you'd use
Telekinesis
and just map out of town (usually
Cold Plains
), then magically come back (by teleporting all the way from
Cold Plains
in order to Avoid suspicion).
lmfao. i never heard of this, absolutely hilarious. xD

I recently made a trade with somebody on this website and the item disappeared the next time I logged in , and all the runes I traded were gone as well. Is there a way to report "distrust" about a person on this site? I've already reported them to blizz for hacks and an investigation is going. But is there a way to prevent others from falling victim to this new scam??
OP

Sorceress Americas PC
Leonpd wrote: 2 years ago
I recently made a trade with somebody on this website and the item disappeared the next time I logged in , and all the runes I traded were gone as well
this was due to the recent rollback. not due to scamming. Blizzard messed up the servers and TONS of people all over the blizzard forums as well as reddit are reporting tons of lost items when logging back in. :(

i lost a
Tal
Mask
. not too bad. but some people lost High Runes. yikes

If it was a rollback then why didn't it roll back to when I had the runes too??? I'm confused about that part.

Beardozer 442Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
The game has multiple servers which suggests multiple copies of databases. Could have been they weren't all synced to the same time and items just disappeared. I haven't heard of any duping yet, so I'd chalk it up to database rollbacks. Things get weird when that happens.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
Also be very alerted when someone speaks in ALL CAPS generally, speaking from my experience.
Does anyone know anything about opening a global chat and pressing down shift+ctrl? I was trying to trade with some guy in a room and he suggested that I do this to check. if it is a dupe or not..(not sure how that would validate it). I was tempted to try but when he kept following me around that's when I got bit suspicious and call off the trade.
Just wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about it. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
zilonka wrote: 2 years ago
Does anyone know anything about opening a global chat and pressing down shift+ctrl? I was trying to trade with some guy in a room and he suggested that I do this to check. if it is a dupe or not..(not sure how that would validate it). I was tempted to try but when he kept following me around that's when I got bit suspicious and call off the trade.
Just wanted to ask if anyone knows anything about it. Maybe I'm just paranoid.
it was probably the simple shift + click to show an item in the chat, and ctrl + click to drop the item on the Ground. just another variation of that. its just better in any type of trade scenario, to not use shortcuts. someone wants to see the item. open trade, then drag item to trade, wait a few seconds before placing incase they try to close trade immediately.

wale 39

Druid PC
I was trying to buy perfect Hotspurs and someone did the swap with
Infernostride
( yes really )... for a
Lem
lol
OP

Sorceress Americas PC
wale wrote: 2 years ago
I was trying to buy perfect Hotspurs and someone did the swap with
Infernostride
( yes really )... for a
Lem
lol
Its honestly SO annoying that D2 item graphics are identical for so many items that it allowed that trade scam to become so rampant for so many items. Good Grief. Now we at least have a slightly different green color for a
Shako
VS an
Emerald
-gemmed
Helm
. But the rest are identical lol.

Just got scammed with the
Tal
amor /
Rattlecage
. I guess I should have read this thread before...
OP

Sorceress Americas PC
Frac127 wrote: 2 years ago
Tal
amor /
Rattlecage
I'm very sorry that happened man. Its a very tough lesson to learn. I remember when i was 15-16 and i was tricked with the gemmed-
Helm
for
Shako
. I think it even happened twice lol.

always always always triple check the item before ever clicking accept. always.

Frac127 wrote: 2 years ago
Tal
amor /
Rattlecage
Ah... brings back old memories... also, be aware of the fake
Shako
in the future :D
I knew about the
Shako
, not this one... But even knowing it, i could have
Fallen
for it. hust need a few seconds of inadvertance... Its late, you want to close the deal quickly... the guys asks for an additional
Ist
cause its socketed, say I can do
Um
instead... and boom, you get an expensive
Rattlecage

rikus 139

Amazon Americas PC
always send your personal information and all your passwords to anyone in the internet.
you can't be more safe than that.

goodluck, and may the RNG god be with you.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...