Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
46 replies   3890 views

Description

I never thought it would happen, but last night I got scammed.

I went into a game that someone was selling an Enigma, I did the usual "what do you want for it?" and he told me to offer some runes but I asked if he had an Infinity for sale by any chance. He said yes and we proceeded to go into the trade window. I offered a
Ber
, 2x
Vex
Mal
Um
, and a
Lem
and he put up his Infinity. He then asked me to replace the
Lem
for an item so I went into my stash and grabbed a
Duriel's Shell
. We opened up the trade window and I put all the runes I offered back in plus the D shell. Thinking he'd be a decent human being I thought he put the Infinity back in so I didn't hover over the weapon and clicked the check mark. It would turn out to be a plain
Eth
Scythe
. I pleaded with him to give me back my runes but he just laughed and left. Numerous weeks and trading just went down the drain for me. I completely feel like just giving up on this game now.
Description by thekolombian

Can be used to make Runewords:

I went into a game that someone was selling an Enigma, I did the usual "what do you want for it?" and he told me to offer some runes but I asked if he had an Infinity for sale by any chance. He said yes and we proceeded to go into the trade window. I offered a
Ber
, 2x
Vex
Mal
Um
, and a
Lem
Lem
Duriel's Shell
. We opened up the trade window and I put all the runes I offered back in plus the D shell. Thinking he'd be a decent human being I thought he put the Infinity back in so I didn't hover over the weapon and clicked the check mark. It would turn out to be a plain
Eth
Scythe
. I pleaded with him to give me back my runes but he just laughed and left. Numerous weeks and trading just went down the drain for me. I completely feel like just giving up on this game now.

BillyMaysed 2199Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
thekolombian wrote: 2 years ago
I didn't hover over the weapon and clicked the check mark
You technically didn't get scammed, you willingly clicked trade. Why do people always forget to double check when the item swap scam is by far the most commonly used and its ALWAYS prefaced with "hey add this or let me make room" and bringing the window up a 2nd time. Never trust strangers online, or in general. The fact that people don't quadruple check every trade and especially high value ones blows my mind.

Check the 10 Common Scams in D2R thread for a refresher.

Teebling 5985Admin

Europe PC
Sorry man, that sucks to hear. It's so important to check of course but hindsight is always 20/20.

wale 39

Druid PC

Ber
, 2x
Vex
Mal
Um
, and a
Lem
Lem
Duriel's Shell
Eth
Scythe
Ladder is coming early next year. Maybe take a break from the game until then? EVERYONE will start with nothing again in ladder, so you wouldn't have lost anything in that ecosystem.

Ber
, 2x
Vex
Mal
Um
, and a
Lem
Lem
Duriel's Shell
Eth
Scythe
Im soo sorry man. I hate people like them, that is game ending. It's so common that is sickening. Aren't we supposed to be older, more mature and wiser now?
He should be aware of how hard is to grind in this game, what a piece of trash.

Looking more specifically to your trade, re-negotiate a
Lem
for the item should have been the red flag, since
Lem
> item, and when you are exchanging 2
Ber
worth of Items, a complain over a
Lem
is also sus.

Still pissed off. Sorry for your loss. Takes weeks of trade to even get a
Ber

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector
Feel for you dude, don't mean to pile on but like others here have said you can't trust anyone online.

Having dealt with scammers across a few games many of them do come off as friendly in order to catch you off guard.

It's a hard pill to swallow but this is 100% on you and I'm sure you'll never make this mistake again.

lf godly plate of the whale
I got 4
Ber
in 2 weeks of farming and trading. Don't be too sad about it.

It really sucks to get scammed but be happy you got scammed in a stupid video game instead of real life.

Some people get scammed their entire pension funds or 100 of thousands of dollars from their bank accounts.

I'm always buying! Add me in game to fast trade :)

P
Amethyst
= 25->
Ist

P
Skull
= 50->
Ist

P
Ruby
= 90-­>
Ist

P Gem = 90->
Ist

Ral
= 50->
Ist

Junk Jewel = 200->
Ist
Sorry to hear that you got scammed.

But that trade sounded too good to be true, you were trading like 1
Ber
+ 7 Ists for an Infinity which is a bit more than that.
Yea this is a common tactic. Learn your lesson- don't trust anyone in this game if anything serious is at stake. Like, you can trust people offering you a
Pul
rune to rush them to
Larzuk
, for example- most of the time they will pay, and even if they don't you only lose like 10 mins. But when it comes to trading... check. Double check. Then check again.

At least for your sake, the new ladder season is beginning in January of February.
Sorry man, that's brutal. Sucks that people have to act like that. I definitely got scammed back in the day, took some time to cool off and have just tried to learn from it.
The scam that truly scares me is the one where they close trade an instant before you place the item in the trade window, and you drop the item on the Ground instead. Have they fixed that yet?

Strangers only get one chance to trade with me, if they cancel, !@#$ them, I don't give them another chance.
tatarjj wrote: 2 years ago
The scam that truly scares me is the one where they close trade an instant before you place the item in the trade window, and you drop the item on the Ground instead. Have they fixed that yet?
I believe that was fixed a long time ago, thankfully. You could test it with some stranger and some worthless item probably.
Bounder wrote: 2 years ago
I believe that was fixed a long time ago, thankfully. You could test it with some stranger and some worthless item probably.
Good, I hope so. Maybe I don't have to be as paranoid anymore. I've not gone through with a number of trades just because people were acting strangely.

The only time I ever got scammed in Diablo 2, it was way back, before LoD. The way the trade screen works today, if you remove an item out of it, then the other party cannot hit "accept trade" for several seconds. It wasn't always like that, believe it or not. I lost a great item back in the pre-LoD days just because the scammer removed his item from the trade window and hit accept trade all in the last few milliseconds before I hit accept trade.

Yes, believe it or not, the Diablo 2 trade window you all know and love is actually the improved, "scam-free" version.

Strangers only get one chance to trade with me, if they cancel, !@#$ them, I don't give them another chance.
I was worried about this one as well, so I tested it with a friend, telling him what to do exactly to try to 'produce' the scam; Didn't work.

So unless they break it in a patch or something, it shouldn't be possible to get scammed like this. The item doesn't drop.

About the "Strangers getting only one chance": Well, I do give a second chance, sometimes mistakes DO happen (say, I often trade torches to people who already have a torch on, so they have to go put it back in the stash).

But when they DO cancel, check and doublecheck to make sure everything's what it's supposed to be.

Honestly it baffles me that so many people get scammed like this.

Ok perhaps I'm overly paranoid, but even when I trade for runes I still hover them, even if I already know what they are just by looking at them.

if I trade for an item (so I can't know what it is by looking at it), you can be sure I would check it out, and if the guy cancels the trade I'd check it out again and verify all the stats (make sure he's not trying to replace the great roll I'm buying for a shitty roll, things like that).

A couple weeks into the game I had a
Lo
drop and after listing on here I had this happen while trying to place the rune in trade.

Instantly left, not sure if it was an honest mistake but I got scammed this way in Diablo 1 and I remember that feeling of just infinite sadness.

*Fun fact haven't had anything remotely close to
Lo
drop since lol.

lf godly plate of the whale
Path of Exile has a nice feature where you can't execute a trade until both parties have hovered over the item(s). Really eliminates a lot of the scams - I wish this game had this.

Sorry to hear about your runes - some people really suck :(
Sorry to hear about ur trade loss. I ran into a sorceress that tried to do a trade scam on me in a similar manner and i told him “ r u serious? Grow up kid, ive seen this since d2 legacy.”

Also becareful with the ctrl+ left click request from potential buyer who asks u to show him/her the item via a link. This will drop the item on the Ground for easy pick up.

Just remember to use shift+ left click if u want to show someone ur item via the link.

Anyhow, i hope u can start accumulating ur Wealth again.

Humans in general are greedy and would do anything to fulfill their desire; in ur case, your runes… my advice, never trust anyone when trading , always double check or tripple check. And if they keep cancelling trading windows, that is a red flag and call him out and blacklist him…

Can trade on PC or SWITCH
wale wrote: 2 years ago

Ber
, 2x
Vex
Mal
Um
, and a
Lem
Lem
Duriel's Shell
Eth
Scythe
Ladder is coming early next year. Maybe take a break from the game until then? EVERYONE will start with nothing again in ladder, so you wouldn't have lost anything in that ecosystem.
This, theres no need to quit the game when there is a fresh start for everyone just around the corner. To the OP, hard lesson hopefully learned. Take a break, and wait for the ladder reset to take your mind off the scamming.
Thinking he'd be a decent human being
You are joking right? Were you born yesterday?

Sorry for your loss.
Aegis200 wrote: 2 years ago
He should be aware of how hard is to grind in this game, what a piece of trash.
Scammers are aware of that. Why do you think they resort to scamming?
OP, I'm so sorry you experienced had this terrible experience.
BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
I didn't hover over the weapon and clicked the check mark
You technically didn't get scammed
Oh, come on! That is a bullshit technicality and you know it. It's insulting to everyone's intelligence and sensibility to say that he didn't get scammed. This was deception and intentionally meant to con the trader, clear as day. You're practically gaslighting the poor guy when you say that. Of course, he should have been more careful and less trusting, but it's incorrect and unfairly harsh to say he didn't get scammed. This is the very definition of it! lol

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...