Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
8 replies   1150 views

What did the developers find in the original Diablo 2 archives?

No data yet

Description

Source files, models, old concept scraps, re-used artwork from Diablo 1... basically a treasure trove of stuff. Read on!
Lord of Destruction title screen background image - from the archive.
Blizzard wrote:
There's a lot of the love and care going on in this - we're very passionate about Diablo 2. I can even give you a little anecdote - when I started on the team, naturally as a designer I want to know as much as possible about this game in order to make good decisions on a remaster.

I asked around - what kind of files and leftover archives do we have from before - from Blizzard North. I was given some and told 'that's it' - which I quickly disbelieved. I like to do just do my own little digging around to find out things.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 36:19 19th Feb 2021
Monochrome basic render of the environment for D2's Burial Grounds (by the look of it).
Monochrome basic render of the environment for D2's Burial Grounds (by the look of it).
Blizzard wrote:
So I dug around a lot in archives and in different teams, because naturally for a game from 20 years people have moved on to different teams data has moved around across our other games - across Blizzard.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 37:03 19th Feb 2021
Diablo in animator's T-pose (left) and Tal Rasha's chamber rendered (right).
Blizzard wrote:
It was within 'folders within folders' I like to say, that I found a lot of old source files from Diablo 2; stuff we should archive. There was a lot of stuff indeed - we're talking model source files, old tools that Blizzard North used to create the sprites and things like that.

All these things I spent months and months organising and communicated that out to the teams. I got the Blizzard library team to help out to, to help share as much info as possible.

All of this helps a lot with when we're adapting these old models and making new art out of it. A lot of those pixels aren't good enough and we have some kind of source model we can make closer decisions.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 37:18 19th Feb 2021
Tyrael annotated concepts from the original game. The model's wings were used 1:1 for Resurrected.
Tyrael annotated concepts from the original game. The model's wings were used 1:1 for Resurrected.
Blizzard wrote:
On that day when we found it [the archives] I think that really helped me greatly - we sent all that imagery - even the models, we sent over to the outsource teams and different art teams, which they used as a stepping stone.

The only piece of art we re-used 1:1 were
Tyrael
's wings. We actually took the wings from the old MAX file and then just repurposed that for ours. We did very little work - very little modernisation of that - we just made it work.

We did follow a lot of the rules that the old game used for example - the
Succubus
and Witch - I think with an old Blizzard North model - they've re-used the Assassin mesh for the body and we do the same thing. We used our Assassin mesh for the
Succubus

Chris Amaral - Lead Artist 38:09 19th Feb 2021
Same model used for the Assassin and Succubus - same in Resurrected :)
Blizzard wrote:
Another example too is - because we found a lot of stuff - there's a lot of old texture files for some environments on the game, so for example the walls you see in the Act 2 tombs? With those kind of paintings on them? - They're the same textures we're using as we found the source files for those.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 39:00 19th Feb 2021
Some of D2s original textures have been mirrored over to Resurrected exactly.
Bloodhawk original concept art, used for the Resurrected rendition of it.
Blizzard wrote:
There was even concepts we repurposed - we found a couple of concepts that were amazing, from 20 years ago.. the Bloodhawk and the Bloodhawk Nest, and we used that completely to rebuild our new asset.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 39:56 19th Feb 2021
Diablo 1 Chaos Knights were re-used for Diablo 2 environment sprites in Act IV!
Blizzard wrote:
We look at D1 as well because naturally this being a sequel to Diablo 1, especially within the timespan (Diablo 1 - 1996, Diablo 2 2000) - a lot of things carried over from development. So going back to see D1 and what its like also helped us make decisions.

Even some of the art too - we discovered certain things that we didn't even realise before until later down the line. For example - in the
Chaos Sanctuary
you see a lot of statues with these black knights - those are actually the same Chaos Knight you see in Diablo 1.

Sometimes some of the things I find - even source files from D1 - were useful for us for reference, so we could make the new statues and stuff like that.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 41:42 19th Feb 2021
D1 Sorceror model was re-used for original D2's Act III mercenaries.
Blizzard wrote:
Even the Sorceror from D1 and the Act 3 hireling share very similar models - it was just additional helmet, or a bit of detail on the chest, but that was it.

Chris Amaral - Lead Artist 42:48 19th Feb 2021
Really insightful commentary on this from the devs - I'd highly recommend watching the video hosted by MrLlamaSC on this.

One of the main things people brought up whenever a remaster was suggested was how 'all the original source files had been lost'.

The archives really show off how visionary Blizzard North's art team were - limited only by tools and technology available at the time.
Description by Stormlash

Can be used to make Runewords:

Stormlash 343Moderator

Paladin Europe PC
Source files, models, old concept scraps, re-used artwork from Diablo 1... basically a treasure trove of stuff. Read on!
Blizzard wrote:
There's a lot of the love and care going on in this - we're very passionate about Diablo 2. I can even give you a little anecdote - when I started on the team, naturally as a designer I want to know as much as possible about this game in order to make good decisions on a remaster.

I asked around - what kind of files and leftover archives do we have from before - from Blizzard North. I was given some and told 'that's it' - which I quickly disbelieved. I like to do just do my own little digging around to find out things.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 36:19 19th Feb 2021
Blizzard wrote:
So I dug around a lot in archives and in different teams, because naturally for a game from 20 years people have moved on to different teams data has moved around across our other games - across Blizzard.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 37:03 19th Feb 2021
Blizzard wrote:
It was within 'folders within folders' I like to say, that I found a lot of old source files from Diablo 2; stuff we should archive. There was a lot of stuff indeed - we're talking model source files, old tools that Blizzard North used to create the sprites and things like that.

All these things I spent months and months organising and communicated that out to the teams. I got the Blizzard library team to help out to, to help share as much info as possible.

All of this helps a lot with when we're adapting these old models and making new art out of it. A lot of those pixels aren't good enough and we have some kind of source model we can make closer decisions.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 37:18 19th Feb 2021
Blizzard wrote:
On that day when we found it [the archives] I think that really helped me greatly - we sent all that imagery - even the models, we sent over to the outsource teams and different art teams, which they used as a stepping stone.

The only piece of art we re-used 1:1 were
Tyrael
's wings. We actually took the wings from the old MAX file and then just repurposed that for ours. We did very little work - very little modernisation of that - we just made it work.

We did follow a lot of the rules that the old game used for example - the
Succubus
and Witch - I think with an old Blizzard North model - they've re-used the Assassin mesh for the body and we do the same thing. We used our Assassin mesh for the
Succubus

Chris Amaral - Lead Artist 38:09 19th Feb 2021
Blizzard wrote:
Another example too is - because we found a lot of stuff - there's a lot of old texture files for some environments on the game, so for example the walls you see in the Act 2 tombs? With those kind of paintings on them? - They're the same textures we're using as we found the source files for those.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 39:00 19th Feb 2021
Blizzard wrote:
There was even concepts we repurposed - we found a couple of concepts that were amazing, from 20 years ago.. the Bloodhawk and the Bloodhawk Nest, and we used that completely to rebuild our new asset.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 39:56 19th Feb 2021
Blizzard wrote:
We look at D1 as well because naturally this being a sequel to Diablo 1, especially within the timespan (Diablo 1 - 1996, Diablo 2 2000) - a lot of things carried over from development. So going back to see D1 and what its like also helped us make decisions.

Even some of the art too - we discovered certain things that we didn't even realise before until later down the line. For example - in the
Chaos Sanctuary
you see a lot of statues with these black knights - those are actually the same Chaos Knight you see in Diablo 1.

Sometimes some of the things I find - even source files from D1 - were useful for us for reference, so we could make the new statues and stuff like that.

Andre Abrahamian - Lead Designer 41:42 19th Feb 2021
Blizzard wrote:
Even the Sorceror from D1 and the Act 3 hireling share very similar models - it was just additional helmet, or a bit of detail on the chest, but that was it.

Chris Amaral - Lead Artist 42:48 19th Feb 2021
Really insightful commentary on this from the devs - I'd highly recommend watching the video hosted by MrLlamaSC on this.

One of the main things people brought up whenever a remaster was suggested was how 'all the original source files had been lost'.

The archives really show off how visionary Blizzard North's art team were - limited only by tools and technology available at the time.

BillyMaysed 2186Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
So whats all this stuff being put in the forums for? Wasn't this all on the home page under Resurrected FAQs?

OP

Stormlash 343Moderator

Paladin Europe PC
@BillyMaysed Just following orders :)

BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
So whats all this stuff being put in the forums for? Wasn't this all on the home page under Resurrected FAQs?
@Teebling Asked someone (anyone) to copy and paste it all into the forums.

BillyMaysed 2186Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Stormlash wrote: 2 years ago
@BillyMaysed Just following orders :)
Lol yea i saw that. But do you know why he wanted them reposted in the forum? is it for search engines or something? just curious.

OP

Stormlash 343Moderator

Paladin Europe PC
@BillyMaysed When @Teebling asks for something, you just do it :D

Deleted User 632 0

god works in mysterious ways

Teebling 5808Admin

Europe PC
BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
is it for search engines or something? just curious.
Yeah pretty much - Googlebot didn't like the mini-site for some reason, and all the info is out of date, so I wanted to make sure it was fully discoverable and accurate on release.

I wonder if they planned a very short cut-scene for every quest-related area (
Blood Raven
Den of Evil
, etc.)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...