Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
15 replies   6017 views

Let’s talk about potions: Throwing Potions to be exact

No data yet

Description

You know, those potions that constantly drop way too often in cow games. Have 3 different tiers of fire and poison damage they can do. While you could do something with them in normal mode, as a Barb player my brain always went “Why can’t my Barbarian really make use of these?”

It seems like he should be able to right? He’s got
Throwing Mastery
, and you can throw those potions for fire or poison AoE. Question that then needs to be asked is - if a barb could really make use of these potions, how would it work with
Throwing Mastery
? Should the damage of these potions scale with the amount of points into
Throwing Mastery
? Could their damaged be increased by items that grant +fire or +poison damage? And, should they be able to work with
Double Throw
? (I wish it did).

Seeing the changes the barb got to throwing in 2.4 made me wish something would change about these throwing potions too. While I have made Throw Potion barbs in the past, they were always confined to normal mode at best due to the lack of damage output from the potions themselves.

What do you guys think? Would implementing those potions somehow into
Throwing Mastery
be worth it? Or would the build simply be too niche for most people to care about.

Can be used to make Runewords:

You know, those potions that constantly drop way too often in cow games. Have 3 different tiers of fire and poison damage they can do. While you could do something with them in normal mode, as a Barb player my brain always went “Why can’t my Barbarian really make use of these?”

It seems like he should be able to right? He’s got
Throwing Mastery
, and you can throw those potions for fire or poison AoE. Question that then needs to be asked is - if a barb could really make use of these potions, how would it work with
Throwing Mastery
? Should the damage of these potions scale with the amount of points into
Throwing Mastery
? Could their damaged be increased by items that grant +fire or +poison damage? And, should they be able to work with
Double Throw
? (I wish it did).

Seeing the changes the barb got to throwing in 2.4 made me wish something would change about these throwing potions too. While I have made Throw Potion barbs in the past, they were always confined to normal mode at best due to the lack of damage output from the potions themselves.

What do you guys think? Would implementing those potions somehow into
Throwing Mastery
be worth it? Or would the build simply be too niche for most people to care about.

Deleted User 632 0

never used the potions much but i was told that they do scale with
Throwing Mastery
. is it not true?
OP
Udyret wrote: 2 years ago
never used the potions much but i was told that they do scale with
Throwing Mastery
. is it not true?
It isn’t. They don’t scale with any skill or +fire / +poison modifiers.

This leads me to believe whatever ideas the original D2 team had for these potions went unfinished and were just simply left in the games code due to time constraints. At least, I want to believe that’s the case anyway.

But no, as of right now they’re kind of just a pointless drop in the loot table and it makes me sad they can’t be used to make a really interesting barb build

Deleted User 632 0

"Its effect applies to all thrown categories, including potions and
Double Throw
." - Diablo Wiki
OP
"Its effect applies to all thrown categories, including potions and
Double Throw
." - Diablo Wiki
Huh… just read about it. That’s news to me. Could’ve swore that it never used to work in the past or maybe I’m misremembering. Regardless - I still wish the potions were effective enough to be used late game

Deleted User 632 0

LuckyAce wrote: 2 years ago
Huh… just read about it. That’s news to me. Could’ve swore that it never used to work in the past or maybe I’m misremembering. Regardless - I still wish the potions were effective enough to be used late game
agree. i think it would be cool if you got synergy from
Find Potion
. and chance to find some stronger potions when you use the
Find Potion
skill.
OP
That would be great! I’ve always liked the idea of a Barbarian chucking gas potions to the point where the screen is just covered in a toxic green cloud. Pair that with 2.4’s
Grim Ward
and it would work surprisingly well I think

Imagine getting some magic, rare or unique potions to create something entirely new and unusual.
OP
Oh how I wish - I’m actually in game right now (Hell) throwing potions at monsters in Act 1. It’s actually killing them … just very slowly.

Surprisingly, the changes to
Throwing Mastery
, “the replenish quantity on critical strike” and “chance to not consume quantity” is actually applying to the potions too, despite the description saying “improves throwing weapon skill”. I wonder if this wasn’t intentional. Either way, I can infinitely throw gas potions and I’m having a blast right now, even if I’m not killing things super fast haha.

Deleted User 632 0

LuckyAce wrote: 2 years ago
Surprisingly, the changes to
Throwing Mastery
, “the replenish quantity on critical strike” and “chance to not consume quantity” is actually applying to the potions too, despite the description saying “improves throwing weapon skill”. I wonder if this wasn’t intentional. Either way, I can infinitely throw gas potions and I’m having a blast right now, even if I’m not killing things super fast haha.
that sounds pretty cool. wonder how it's like to do a potion barb play-through. added the info to
Throwing Mastery
in the database.
OP
wonder how it's like to do a potion barb play-through.
I’d imagine it would a fairly good challenge if anything! I would think most of Normal would be doable, with the exception of some monsters and bosses.
added the info to
Throwing Mastery
in the database.
Glad to have been able to contribute something barb related here!

OP
Another thought I just had was - would items like Trang Oul's gloves, Bramble, and a Poison Facet increase the damage done with the potions while using
Double Throw
? Since they add raw poison damage. Or would any piece of gear that has +poison / + fire damage do the same for the potions?

Sadly I only have the Poison Facet to test this with and no other + poison / +fire damage gear. But, when I get some I'll come back to this thread and post any other discoveries I make.
___
Update:
would items like Trang Oul's gloves, Bramble, and a Poison Facet increase the damage done with the potions while using
Double Throw
?

The answer to this is sadly no. On a run of the Swampy Pit, I found
Lava Gout
gloves and decided to try them with the Oil Potions. Despite the +fire damage on it, there was no increase to the damage of the potions. This means the damage on them is fixed and adding raw fire damage (or poison for the gas potions) won't increase it.

I then wondered if I could increase the damage done with the oil potions while using
Double Throw
if I enchanted myself. I had
Demon Limb
on-hand which has lvl 23
Enchant
, so I enchanted myself. The answer to this is also a resounding nope.

This confirms the damage of these potions is 100% fixed damage. A shame really, I wish they would allow them to scale with +fire or +poison damage since they work with
Double Throw

Deleted User 632 0

That's a shame. but maybe the % To Poison Skill Damage and % To Enemy Poison Resistance from
Trang-Oul's Claws
, Bramble, and
Rainbow Facet: Poison Death
work. i guess it's unlikely. hopefully more changes from blizz can bring this fun build to be hell viable.
OP
That's a shame. but maybe the % To Poison Skill Damage and % To Enemy Poison Resistance from
Trang-Oul's Claws
, Bramble, and
Rainbow Facet: Poison Death
work. i guess it's unlikely. hopefully more changes from blizz can bring this fun build to be hell viable.
If I can get
Trang-Oul's Claws
and make Bramble I'll let everyone here know.

What I can say is, the potions (Oil and Rancid Gas) can totally clear Normal. For fun, I killed Diablo with gas potions, and it was probably the most fun I'd had with something so silly in quite some time. It didn't take too long either haha

But I agree, Blizzard should fix this (at some point). It's never a bad thing to give a class more build options. Barb doesn't really have an "elemental" build of any kind, and letting him do that with the oil and gas potions would probably end up becoming my favorite build in the game.

Khegan 378

-% resist should work for both potion types, and +% skill damage is ignored. I don't recall
Throwing Mastery
ever increasing damage.

That said,
Amplify Damage
increases the physical damage on exploding pots. Now that'd be humorous to see.
OP
That said,
Amplify Damage
increases the physical damage on exploding pots. Now that'd be humorous to see.
So what you're saying is, I need to get
Atma's Scarab
and throw oil potions like the Wind?

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...