Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
2 replies   1764 views

Description

In the Deep Dive panel the development leads talked about how they found original 3D models of parts of the game environment taken from a different camera angle - and on going into the tavern in
Lut Gholein
found garlic hanging from a beam, which was indiscernible in the original pixel art.
Garlic hanging from a beam in Lut Gholein's tavern (Resurrected).
Blizzard wrote:
I remember when we went to the tavern [in Lut Gholein] and there was garlic hanging from a beam - and we're all like what's the garlic? But then you know this is full 3d everything and they're like 'oh yeah there was garlic in the old game'. So we'd go back in was like 4 white sprites. It was really cool to see it almost for the first time.

Rob Gallerani - Lead Designer 06:40 19th Feb 2021
Original game render showing garlic on left.
Blizzard wrote:
It's funny because original SD was made in all 3D. We actually came across a bunch of screenshots that were a different camera - it wasn't the isometric camera it - was either the marketing art or something else, or maybe exploration. There was shots of that garlic in the original art. You could never really see it in the pixel art, but it was there. It was telling that they were trying to achieve something very grand with this art.

Chris Amaral - Lead Artist 07:07 19th Feb 2021
The reason this is memeing is because it's a well picked example of the attention to detail we're seeing so far. It's also wonderful to know that a lot of the original art scraps survived and are being truly resurrected. I hope someone releases that image dump :P
Description by Teebling

Can be used to make Runewords:

Stormlash 343Moderator

Paladin Europe PC
In the Deep Dive panel the development leads talked about how they found original 3D models of parts of the game environment taken from a different camera angle - and on going into the tavern in
Lut Gholein
found garlic hanging from a beam, which was indiscernible in the original pixel art.
Blizzard wrote:
I remember when we went to the tavern [in Lut Gholein] and there was garlic hanging from a beam - and we're all like what's the garlic? But then you know this is full 3d everything and they're like 'oh yeah there was garlic in the old game'. So we'd go back in was like 4 white sprites. It was really cool to see it almost for the first time.

Rob Gallerani - Lead Designer 06:40 19th Feb 2021
Blizzard wrote:
It's funny because original SD was made in all 3D. We actually came across a bunch of screenshots that were a different camera - it wasn't the isometric camera it - was either the marketing art or something else, or maybe exploration. There was shots of that garlic in the original art. You could never really see it in the pixel art, but it was there. It was telling that they were trying to achieve something very grand with this art.

Chris Amaral - Lead Artist 07:07 19th Feb 2021
The reason this is memeing is because it's a well picked example of the attention to detail we're seeing so far. It's also wonderful to know that a lot of the original art scraps survived and are being truly resurrected. I hope someone releases that image dump :P

I'm excited to not only get back to killing but zooming in and out and admiring all the work. It's gonna be hard to put the game down when I fire it up ^_^
They took a lot of liberties in other areas though. Take for example,
Charsi
's shop behind her. It's way more populated than it was previously. Not a "that was actually garlic" type thing, but a "Yeah, we totally just added a dozen more weapons and armors there."

I'm not complaining. I'm just saying.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...