Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
11 replies   511 views

I think someone from this site just tried to scam me

No data yet

Site Feedback

Description

This person told me to toss my items on the Ground and drop trade instead of using the trade window. I said I didn't feel comfortable doing that and left the game.

I know there is an option to mark a seller with +trust, but there should be an option to mark with '+suspicious' as well. Just my $.02

Can be used to make Runewords:

This person told me to toss my items on the Ground and drop trade instead of using the trade window. I said I didn't feel comfortable doing that and left the game.

I know there is an option to mark a seller with +trust, but there should be an option to mark with '+suspicious' as well. Just my $.02

I offer Uber Service, Rush Service and have many items for sale, Add me on battle.net | Hoost07#1211

BillyMaysed 2188Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Hoost07 wrote: 2 years ago
his person told me to toss my items on the Ground and drop trade instead of using the trade window.
always a giant red flag. Sounds like a pretty amateur scam move that typically only works on actual kids lol. scammers are pathetic

Stormlash 344Moderator

Paladin Europe PC
@Hoost07 Unfortunately, that happens every single day, multiple times a day. We can't do shit about it without solid proof.

I'm moving this to feedback.
Thank you.

axz 3

Assassin Europe PC
Drop trading is a common way to trade in the different mods. It had been years since I traded using the trade window pre D2R.

But with that said I wouldn't reccomend it on D2R.

'+suspicious' sounds good in theory but I doubt that a scammer would end the trade in such manner that you'd be able to use that function. Making it so that anyone can mark a trade suspicious would definitely be abused.

So sadly a function like that would probably result in scammers looking less sus because they have 0 '+suspicious'.
Drop trade is actually very important for P Gem to Runes trades, clicking and dragging 40 P Gems into the trade window multiple times is taxing to say the least. I traded 100 pgems today and good thing both parties are ok on drop trade.

However, if its single item or small trades, drop trades don't make sense at all.

y2kid 109

PC
axz wrote: 2 years ago
Drop trading is a common way to trade in the different mods. It had been years since I traded using the trade window pre D2R.

But with that said I wouldn't reccomend it on D2R.

'+suspicious' sounds good in theory but I doubt that a scammer would end the trade in such manner that you'd be able to use that function. Making it so that anyone can mark a trade suspicious would definitely be abused.

So sadly a function like that would probably result in scammers looking less sus because they have 0 '+suspicious'.
@
Stormlash
@axz I think it is a solid idea and things can be done about it... Although quite limiting. You're right you cannot report the person after they close the trade since they likely will not do that. But... Same way as we donators get our name in purple, people that have been reported for scamming can have their names in red or something with a tooltip. Then the reports can simply be done by flagging the trade without it needing to complete and if said person has many flags, they can be reported as a scammer or at least put onto the radar. That said... These people can always create new accounts and so on and so forth, so might come down to IP blocking but... that is a whole other can of worms and a big game of cat and mouse. I think there is a potential for this to be a feature in future, but it is a complicated one and requires some thought so... Yep, do not think it is feasible to expect it soon but at least we can discuss. I am happy to join any debates on the functionality!

y2k#2833 on Bnet
y2kid#1811 on Discord

EnragedN3wb 187Moderator

PC
y2kid wrote: 2 years ago
Then the reports can simply be done by flagging the trade without it needing to complete
This would never work in reality. It would be abused with people flagging others just because they didn't like them, or because they declined to trade, or any number of reasons. There are already posts popping up claiming they were scammed when the other person really just already sold the item, or changed their mind about a trade.

The current system is fine. If you can provide proof of being scammed, report the trade post & it will be looked into. Without requiring hard proof any system you can think of would be abused & would not work.

y2kid 109

PC
EnragedN3wb wrote: 2 years ago
Then the reports can simply be done by flagging the trade without it needing to complete
This would never work in reality. It would be abused with people flagging others just because they didn't like them, or because they declined to trade, or any number of reasons. There are already posts popping up claiming they were scammed when the other person really just already sold the item, or changed their mind about a trade.

The current system is fine. If you can provide proof of being scammed, report the trade post & it will be looked into. Without requiring hard proof any system you can think of would be abused & would not work.
As I said.... It will require some thinking. Do not take what I said at face value, I am well aware of the suggestion's flaws atm, just offered it as some starting Ground. When I played another of Blizz's games we had a forum where we would trade quests that would benefit us both. Obviously such a system required some trust in both parties and, of course, there were people trying to abuse the system attempting to leech benefits without putting back the necessary work. So the solution there used to be to redlist the people that had multiple reports of offence with their bnet IDs so that people who would initiate a trade with them would think twice before doing so. You are right that having concrete proof will definitely help, however being able to report a person or at least flag them for consideration would also be helpful in my opinion.

y2k#2833 on Bnet
y2kid#1811 on Discord

EnragedN3wb 187Moderator

PC
however being able to report a person or at least flag them for consideration would also be helpful in my opinion.
Like I said, this is already possible. Click the little flag in the corner of their post & submit a report, just make sure you have proof. Mods will already take action when they can, & keep lists of people with multiple reports. Just don't expect anything to be done if there's no proof.

There's no point in making this info public, as either they are proven to be a scammer & action is taken, or there isn't proof & it isn't. Why would you mark an account as "untrusted" for example? Because 1 person reports them without proof? 5 people? 10 people? Either there is proof or there isn't. If there's no proof they shouldn't be marked, & if there is... action is already taken.

Stormlash 344Moderator

Paladin Europe PC
Hi everyone.

Reporting people for scamming, without proof, is just defamation and it will be ignored. We can't do shit about it.

What we can do, is to take notes on that user's account, internally, and take action if needed. But even then, this could be easily manipulated just by asking your friends to report the same account as you.

If you have a screenshot of the scammer's name in-game, clearly stating he/she scammed you or anyone else, guess what, that proves absolutely nothing. The only scenario that we would even consider looking at, is if you had a video (starting with the negotiation here on the site all the way to finishing with the trade being made in-game) but even this can also be easily manipulated.

The best medicine to counter scamming is to Private Message the Game Name/Password to the other person here on the Site/Discord/Battle.net (instead of publicly posting on the forums for everyone else to see) and mouse over the items on the Trade Window in-game before you hit the Accept button because, at the end of the day, you are the only one to blame if you get scammed, if you assume everyone on the Internet are nice guys/gals.

And let's be honest, if you got scammed, it's very likely that you won't be ever again because of that experience.
You live and you learn. We've all been there before...

Banjo 138

Sorceress Americas PC
as far as proof goes folks i use session recording software, so if ne one does try and scam me i have video of it. i don't use the software for that purpose, but its an added bonus. there are tons of recording software out there. do your own research and find one that works for you. i hate scammers and feel like they ruin the game for newer players. yes it is up to every individual to protect themselves, but that doesn't make it ok.

Teebling 5826Admin

Europe PC
Just wanted to weigh in on this discussion a bit.

As the site admin my priorities have shifted more towards development recently - I have had the good luck of a really outstanding moderation team here. This has meant that I've been able to leave the incredibly daunting task of moderating the marketplace and forums entirely in their hands as I focus on the development side of things. I may not be the most experienced trader on the site, and I'm shit at diablo 2, but I can say that I've seen the discussions the mods have between themselves concerning the reports that come in each day. They look at each report individually - even when there are sometimes 20 or more of them in one evening, and each and every one submitted is considered by the guys.

Please bear that in mind when you begin to discuss moderation policy here - the guys are kind and will try to help you because they're human - not some auto/bot/ban thing that is left on autorun to the detriment of all. If they think that a ban list or 'flagging' people is not in the best interests of the site then you can be damned sure that they know what they're talking about.

Like any transaction, you walk into it with a risk. The moderators who spend their time watching over the market, and the present (and future) systems in place here can mitigate that risk to an extent; but it can never be eliminated. Is it healthy that we can discuss these things openly here on the forums? Yes. But this isn't a democracy - if the moderators have already given you a rational answer to your question, please don't push your luck - they know what's best.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...