Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
6 replies   8759 views

Does one account have enough space to hold the Holy Grail in Resurrected? I tried to find out.

No data yet

Description

I thought it would be cool to work out theoretically how many stash tabs it would take for one account owner to collect and store all 539 items considered part of the standard 'holy grail', and whether or not one account has enough storage for the entire grail.

Following the poll that I ran which asked you all if you'd buy additional stash tabs if they became purchasable in-game, so far it seems that about half would pay (begrudgingly) to have more stash tabs, so I thought how many would be required to 'catch 'em all'.

As it stands you have one 10x10 'personal' stash tab for each character, and 3 'shared' stash tabs (across all characters). There is a limit of 20 characters per Resurrected account, so in total you have 23 'stash tabs' available to you on one account. A 'stash tab' meaning one character's worth of storage area.

We can work out the area of one 'stash' area by multiplying its width by its height. m = 1 'block' in the grid:

Code: Select all

10m width
10m height
10mx10m=100m2

Further to that, for each character you have the inventory grid too:

10m width
4m height
10mx4m=40m2

So the rough total 'area' of storage per account is the following:

100x23=2300m2
40x20=800m2
2300+800=3100m2

So 3100m2 is the total theoretical area available on one account. However, this is discounting any space savings by using cube for storage etc. It also assumes that you would be able to play Tetris and get all of the items to use the grid rows and columns perfectly so that everything slots in.

To offset those variable factors a little bit, we'll take off another tabs's worth of area from the final area available. That should cover any anomalies with positioning, available grid space, cube storage, sentimental items and any other factors to come to a more realistic figure.

3100-100=3000m2

We know now that 3000m2 is a good guess at the storage area available on one account.

To find out how much space would be needed to collect the entire Holy Grail, we need to know how many items there are in one first of all. There are a few different grail categories out there such as the '
Eth
Grail', so for simplicity we'll use the Standard Grail', which is 539 items in total. It comprises of all Unique Weapons, Armor, Jewels, Charms, Rings/Ammies, all Set items, and finally all Runes.

When I built the graphics assets for the each item entry here on the diablo2.io database, I cropped them to standard dimensions that corresponded with the in-game items' actual space occupied on the tetris grid. This allows me to serve Retina graphics to high pixel density displays, and also means I can get the area of each item by querying the records on the database for those 539 items.

There are several possible item 'dimensions': 1x1 (amulets, rings etc.), 1x2 (belts), 1x3 (swords), 1x4 (spears/staves), 2x1 (daggers), 2x2 (shields, helms), 2x3 (body armor), 2x4 (polearms) etc.

Counting the instances of the 1x1 dimensions occurring in the record, making sure to exclude other database entries and DB records using this value that are not part of the grail definition:
This SQL returns a count of 106. So there are 106 items in the grail that are of the 1x1 dimension. Let's work through the other dimension types to get a total count for those too. Then we can find the total area occupied by items of that dimension too:

1x1 = 106 total, (106x1)=106m2 required
1x2 = 26 total, (1x2)x26=52m2 required
1x3 = 55 total, (1x3)x55=165m2 required
1x4 = 22 total, (1x4)x22=88m2 required
2x1 = 26 total, (2x1)x26=52m2 required
2x2 = 116 total, (2x2)x116=464m2 required
2x3 = 144 total, (2x3)x144=864m2 required
2x4 = 76 total, (2x4)x76=608m2 required

Sum of all of the area required is 2399m2, but we know that not everything will slot in correctly, so we'll add on a x0.3 stowage factor to try and guess the consequence of any gaps left in the grid. That adds on another 720m2 of area, bringing the total estimate to 3119m2 required.

We now know the rough area required for one account to 'hold' the entire holy grail. We also know how much area is available realistically to one account. Finally, we know how much area one stash tab provides, so...

3119/100=31.19 stash tabs would be required to hold the entire holy grail. So even if you were meticulous in your arrangements of the items, and you had made 20 'full' characters on an account, full shared stash as well, you'd still end up short on space:

3119-3000=119m2 overstowed. 119m2 is slightly less than the 140m2 theoretical space available on one character. So it's 'one character short' of having the total space available to accommodate the entire grail.

And that's it really :) Just wanted to see what I could work out using the data available and some simple maths (I have probably made a mistake somewhere - feel free to correct me or add your own calculations guys).

TLDR;

I estimate that the total space required for all items in the Holy Grail is just over the realistic amount of space available on one account.

Edit 1

SightUp's community is a well known grailing community and they know what they are talking about. I asked them what they made of this and they disagree with my estimation. They consider a grail to not include the 33 runes, and say the remaining 506 items will indeed fit on one account's worth of characters.

Edit 2

Smarter people online have pointed out that the 0.3 'stowage factor' is too punishing and that there is a better way to work out the consequence of tetris sorting. One can work out the 'space' left behind by an item by comparing it's area to the area of a 2x4 grid. That will in turn let me calculate what else can fit into that space too.
Description by Teebling

Can be used to make Runewords:

Teebling 5763Admin

Europe PC
I thought it would be cool to work out theoretically how many stash tabs it would take for one account owner to collect and store all 539 items considered part of the standard 'holy grail', and whether or not one account has enough storage for the entire grail.

Following the poll that I ran which asked you all if you'd buy additional stash tabs if they became purchasable in-game, so far it seems that about half would pay (begrudgingly) to have more stash tabs, so I thought how many would be required to 'catch 'em all'.

As it stands you have one 10x10 'personal' stash tab for each character, and 3 'shared' stash tabs (across all characters). There is a limit of 20 characters per Resurrected account, so in total you have 23 'stash tabs' available to you on one account. A 'stash tab' meaning one character's worth of storage area.

We can work out the area of one 'stash' area by multiplying its width by its height. m = 1 'block' in the grid:

10m width
10m height
10mx10m=100m2

Further to that, for each character you have the inventory grid too:

10m width
4m height
10mx4m=40m2

So the rough total 'area' of storage per account is the following:

100x23=2300m2
40x20=800m2
2300+800=3100m2

So 3100m2 is the total theoretical area available on one account. However, this is discounting any space savings by using cube for storage etc. It also assumes that you would be able to play Tetris and get all of the items to use the grid rows and columns perfectly so that everything slots in.

To offset those variable factors a little bit, we'll take off another tabs's worth of area from the final area available. That should cover any anomalies with positioning, available grid space, cube storage, sentimental items and any other factors to come to a more realistic figure.

3100-100=3000m2

We know now that 3000m2 is a good guess at the storage area available on one account.

To find out how much space would be needed to collect the entire Holy Grail, we need to know how many items there are in one first of all. There are a few different grail categories out there such as the '
Eth
Grail', so for simplicity we'll use the Standard Grail', which is 539 items in total. It comprises of all Unique Weapons, Armor, Jewels, Charms, Rings/Ammies, all Set items, and finally all Runes.

When I built the graphics assets for the each item entry here on the diablo2.io database, I cropped them to standard dimensions that corresponded with the in-game items' actual space occupied on the tetris grid. This allows me to serve Retina graphics to high pixel density displays, and also means I can get the area of each item by querying the records on the database for those 539 items.

There are several possible item 'dimensions': 1x1 (amulets, rings etc.), 1x2 (belts), 1x3 (swords), 1x4 (spears/staves), 2x1 (daggers), 2x2 (shields, helms), 2x3 (body armor), 2x4 (polearms) etc.

Counting the instances of the 1x1 dimensions occurring in the record, making sure to exclude other database entries and DB records using this value that are not part of the grail definition:
This SQL returns a count of 106. So there are 106 items in the grail that are of the 1x1 dimension. Let's work through the other dimension types to get a total count for those too. Then we can find the total area occupied by items of that dimension too:

1x1 = 106 total, (106x1)=106m2 required
1x2 = 26 total, (1x2)x26=52m2 required
1x3 = 55 total, (1x3)x55=165m2 required
1x4 = 22 total, (1x4)x22=88m2 required
2x1 = 26 total, (2x1)x26=52m2 required
2x2 = 116 total, (2x2)x116=464m2 required
2x3 = 144 total, (2x3)x144=864m2 required
2x4 = 76 total, (2x4)x76=608m2 required

Sum of all of the area required is 2399m2, but we know that not everything will slot in correctly, so we'll add on a x0.3 stowage factor to try and guess the consequence of any gaps left in the grid. That adds on another 720m2 of area, bringing the total estimate to 3119m2 required.

We now know the rough area required for one account to 'hold' the entire holy grail. We also know how much area is available realistically to one account. Finally, we know how much area one stash tab provides, so...

3119/100=31.19 stash tabs would be required to hold the entire holy grail. So even if you were meticulous in your arrangements of the items, and you had made 20 'full' characters on an account, full shared stash as well, you'd still end up short on space:

3119-3000=119m2 overstowed. 119m2 is slightly less than the 140m2 theoretical space available on one character. So it's 'one character short' of having the total space available to accommodate the entire grail.

And that's it really :) Just wanted to see what I could work out using the data available and some simple maths (I have probably made a mistake somewhere - feel free to correct me or add your own calculations guys).

TLDR;

I estimate that the total space required for all items in the Holy Grail is just over the realistic amount of space available on one account.

Edit 1

SightUp's community is a well known grailing community and they know what they are talking about. I asked them what they made of this and they disagree with my estimation. They consider a grail to not include the 33 runes, and say the remaining 506 items will indeed fit on one account's worth of characters.

Edit 2

Smarter people online have pointed out that the 0.3 'stowage factor' is too punishing and that there is a better way to work out the consequence of tetris sorting. One can work out the 'space' left behind by an item by comparing it's area to the area of a 2x4 grid. That will in turn let me calculate what else can fit into that space too.

@Teebling Over here going above and beyond.

Edit: So Holy Grail Tracker when?
I love it. This should be posted to the official forums to drive a case for more stash tabs.

Holy grail is a legitimate "end game" playstyle that takes years to complete, and would drive activity in the game. Would think blizz would want that.
Love it, let's continue this task! Might i add a very specific non-realistic scenario?

All 20 characters in your acc are Barbarians who can dual wield four 2x4 weapons (2 each swap) plus equip gloves, etc as usual.

Also some items might be held by your mercenary.

Additionally, exactly one item might be held on your cursor for each character you have.

Math gets complicated easily 😄

Edit: i might actually do the math one of these day i just need mephisto to drop my fucking Stormshield
120 is the answer i assume you mean all 2x4 weapons
Learn so much from yall! Thank You! Some of you have enough brain cells to power an aircraft carrier!
Nice job!

Even if it could fit, the real pain would be the act of organising the items.

All prices are negotiable.
All trades are Non-Ladder.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...