Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
18 replies   684 views

Description

Alright, so does lifetap on a necromancer ignore the damage dealt by
Zeal
through Passion? I vaguely remember this used to work (d2-lod). However, the last time I tried it, it was returning 0 life to my necromancer(d2r)

Am I missing something here?

(I am aware of the lifesteal reductions due to hell difficulty, but it should be more than 0, right? Also aware elemental damage will not be returned as life.)
Description by BoringTitle

Can be used to make Runewords:

Alright, so does lifetap on a necromancer ignore the damage dealt by
Zeal
through Passion? I vaguely remember this used to work (d2-lod). However, the last time I tried it, it was returning 0 life to my necromancer(d2r)

Am I missing something here?

(I am aware of the lifesteal reductions due to hell difficulty, but it should be more than 0, right? Also aware elemental damage will not be returned as life.)
are u hitting anything? i never played a melee nerco so i dunno....
OP
krathkor wrote: 1 month ago
I was thinking the same thing. I believe so, it's a lot easier to tell with the floating x on misses. So I am going to say yes.

Also, lifetap returns life on hit even against undead right? I figured that was the whole point of it. But if it doesn't, maybe that's what was up.

It's either that or blizz might have nerfed this specific interaction. Hope not...

I will have to run around and check, just to be certain.
OP
krathkor wrote: 1 month ago
Melee necro can be fun. Maybe not as exciting as a summoner or a poison novamancer though.

Though I find it a good option for summoner, lead from the front and all that.
"
Life Tap
allows players and creatures to be able to leech life from otherwise leech-immune enemies, such as Skeletons. Since
Life Tap
still requires that physical damage be dealt, however, enemies that are immune to said damage are also effectively immune to the curse, despite the graphic appearing over them."

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Life_Tap

I am available for trading every other week, limited trading on my off week.
Thanks for understanding.

Bouncing back and forth between D2 and D4
OP
davme_mcreg wrote: 1 month ago
"
Life Tap
allows players and creatures to be able to leech life from otherwise leech-immune enemies, such as Skeletons. Since
Life Tap
still requires that physical damage be dealt, however, enemies that are immune to said damage are also effectively immune to the curse, despite the graphic appearing over them."

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Life_Tap
So that's a no-go on ghosts and glooms. That would make sense. This may be the answer I am looking for. Unsure if bonebreak would matter, in the meantime I will just avoid situations where it would be necessary.

marl71 116

Americas PC
Did you calculate your damage and chance to hit on the maxroll calculator? I guess you aren't using amp damage if you are using
Life Tap
, so lots of enemies in hell have 25 or 50% physical resistance. And Passion is weak, your
Zeal
is low level and unsynergized, and you can't make Passion in an
Eth
weapon...all to say that 50% of very little damage is very little leech
OP
marl71 wrote: 1 month ago
Did you calculate your damage and chance to hit on the maxroll calculator? I guess you aren't using amp damage if you are using
Life Tap
, so lots of enemies in hell have 25 or 50% physical resistance. And Passion is weak, your
Zeal
is low level and unsynergized, and you can't make Passion in an
Eth
weapon...all to say that 50% of very little damage is very little leech
Very little is >0, though. I wasn't expecting much, just not 0.
OP
My advice to myself is to just use a potion and move on with my life to be honest.

Schnorki 3686Moderator

PC
This has little to do with monster type. Though phys immunes do block it of course, due to 0 phys dmg.

The reason you're not getting any leech is that Passion blinds on hit which in turn immediately overrides
Life Tap
because you can't have both,
Life Tap
and blind on the same target and as a result gives you 0 leech with Passion on any target that can be blinded. I.e. it should work on bosses and such as you can't blind those and hence won't override
Life Tap
but it won't work on pretty much anything else.

Just one of the many reasons Last Wish is actually trash as well. :/
Hey Schnorki, are you sure it overrides other curses? I haven't found anything that says it does and amazon basin says it doesn't. I didn't see the HBT in Passion when I answered before I went to work, massive blinders - ba dum tish!.

"Only blinds normal and minion monsters (with a few exceptions). Does not overwrite existing curse on targets to which it doesn't apply."

https://www.theamazonbasin.com/wiki/ind ... nds_Target

But wait, going over to
Dim Vision
says it does overwrite! so hmmm.

"Ravens summoned by Druids and items with Blinds Target affix apply this Curse to their target."

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Dim_Vision

I'm going with Schnorki on this one.

*Edit* Also about the
Bone Break
. If you had a
Bone Break
, or otherwise broke the physical immunity, you would then be dealing damage to them and then yes
Life Tap
would return you life. If I understand it properly.

I am available for trading every other week, limited trading on my off week.
Thanks for understanding.

Bouncing back and forth between D2 and D4

Schnorki 3686Moderator

PC
Hey Schnorki, are you sure it overrides other curses? I haven't found anything that says it does and amazon basin says it doesn't. I didn't see the HBT in Passion when I answered before I went to work, massive blinders - ba dum tish!.

"Only blinds normal and minion monsters (with a few exceptions). Does not overwrite existing curse on targets to which it doesn't apply."

But wait, going over to
Dim Vision

"Ravens summoned by Druids and items with Blinds Target affix apply this Curse to their target."

*Edit* Also about the
Bone Break
. If you had a
Bone Break
, or otherwise broke the physical immunity, you would then be dealing damage to them and then yes
Life Tap
"Does not overwrite existing curse on targets to which it doesn't apply."

"on targets to which it doesn't apply."

That's the important piece.

As noted earlier, it doesn't overwrite anything on targets that cannot be blinded (i.e. "to which it doesn't apply"). But will on everything else. Hence the giant glowy blind-ball over the target's head afterwards as opposed to the prior lifetap curse animation.

Correct on the Bone-break though. If you can do phys damage, you leech. Albeit for comparatively little of course, seeing how you're still facing 95% phys res and hence doing rather little damage.
OP
Schnorki wrote: 1 month ago
This has little to do with monster type. Though phys immunes do block it of course, due to 0 phys dmg.

The reason you're not getting any leech is that Passion blinds on hit which in turn immediately overrides
Life Tap
because you can't have both,
Life Tap
and blind on the same target and as a result gives you 0 leech with Passion on any target that can be blinded. I.e. it should work on bosses and such as you can't blind those and hence won't override
Life Tap
but it won't work on pretty much anything else.

Just one of the many reasons Last Wish is actually trash as well. :/
That would do it. Between that and the running %, my guess is it's a combination of factors.
OP
Had no idea blind would interfere with curses. I'm going to keep that in mind with ravens in the future.
OP

But wait, going over to
Dim Vision

*Edit* Also about the
Bone Break
. If you had a
Bone Break
Life Tap
Dunno if the linked site is up to date with d2r or is covering info from d2. There are lots of tiny differences between the two. This might just be another example. (though i doubt it, amazon basin is usually pretty good) In the mean time though, I will just use some other weapon on switch should I want to take advantage of lifetap.

And maybe not use delerium. (Derp, not sure if I was using it at the time. Just something to keep in mind.)

Schnorki 3686Moderator

PC
BoringTitle wrote: 1 month ago
[..]
There are lots of tiny differences between the two. This might just be another example.
[..]
It isn't. Blind has been wrecking curses for 20+ years now.
Bosses are the only place that it will work predictably, as they are immune to blind. Can confirm, as my Silence
Phase Blade
and Exile shield don't play well together at all unless at a boss/uber boss.

Feel free to make offers of any currency item:

Pgems, Keys, essences/tokens or runes. Always ISO
Ral
/
Amn
/Psapphire/Pruby
OP
Schnorki wrote: 1 month ago
BoringTitle wrote: 1 month ago
[..]
There are lots of tiny differences between the two. This might just be another example.
[..]
It isn't. Blind has been wrecking curses for 20+ years now.
I believe it.
OP
Either way, this explains the weird interaction I was talking about. I knew It was weird, just couldn't figure out why it was returning 0 hp for the life of me. Thanks Schnorki.

I still think this was an intentional move to prevent semi invulnerable necromancers though.

At least there are plenty of viable options, just means I have to focus on attackspeed breakpoints. Not too big of a deal breaker. Or maybe just a pheonex shield or
Meditation
merc with Insight. Who knows.

I mostly wanted to understand the why behind the odd result.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...