Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
11 replies   4473 views

Description

I've been noticing a Pattern of people creating public battle net games with titles suggesting that they want to buy
Harlequin Crest
for as much as 20
Jah
. Obviously, no trades are actually occurring.

I can't tell whether it's just a joke or maybe somebody's trying to stack the player count for magic find. A lot of people join these games quickly, so maybe it's a tactic for better uber
Key
drop rates. Does anybody know what's really going on here?

I visited one out of curiosity, and everybody was just standing around in the
Rogue Encampment
saying nothing. The host didn't even seem to be doing anything.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
I've been noticing a Pattern of people creating public battle net games with titles suggesting that they want to buy
Harlequin Crest
for as much as 20
Jah
. Obviously, no trades are actually occurring.

I can't tell whether it's just a joke or maybe somebody's trying to stack the player count for magic find. A lot of people join these games quickly, so maybe it's a tactic for better uber
Key
drop rates. Does anybody know what's really going on here?

I visited one out of curiosity, and everybody was just standing around in the
Rogue Encampment
saying nothing. The host didn't even seem to be doing anything.

Teebling 5806Admin

Europe PC
Weird. Maybe a way to 'obscure' bot games with a trade-sounding title, given the number of trade games of similar titles in the lobby? The /players 8 theory - does it still count if they're just standing in camp?

mhlg 815

Americas PC
I've seen a number of the same sort of posts. Since no one is stupid enough to trade a
Shako
for even a single
Jah
, you have to assume it's a bad joke. Maybe they're just trying to do as Teebling above suggested.

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet
OP

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
Teebling wrote: 1 year ago
Weird. Maybe a way to 'obscure' bot games with a trade-sounding title, given the number of trade games of similar titles in the lobby? The /players 8 theory - does it still count if they're just standing in camp?
AFAIK player number mechanics do not take into account where players are in the game. All that matters is the number of players in the game at the moment when a monster is spawned. A Monster is spawned when any player comes within a radius roughly equal to the distance between
Mephisto
's spawn point and the durance 3 stairs. That information is from an older patch, so I don't know if it's still true.

Now that I think about it, I remember being in another game like this where a lot of real people were joining and saying things in the chat that suggested they thought it was a serious trade offer. I thought it was so funny that I couldn't help but join too.

Game titles with ridiculous offers for shako seem like clickbait to get a really high player count for whatever activity the host is running. I've seen different games that seem like covers for botting too, so maybe you're right about that.

click bait titles to boost player numbers for drops

NL 93 Summon Necro, 89 Hammerdin, 89 Fohdin, 88 Light sorc, 86 Blizz Sorc, 84 Smiter, 60+
Enchant
sorc

Ladder Necro, 2x Sorc, Hammer,
Enchant
etc

UTC +10, from Sydney, Australia Wolfie83#6920 & Cyric#31733

Tetra 180

Paladin Europe PC
For split MF or those click bait MF games, players are not together.
So monsters are as hard as many players there is in the game.
But drops should be about half, like:
- 1-2 split players: same as 1 player playing,
- 3-4 split players: same as 2 players playing near each other,
- 5-6 split players: same as 3 players playing near each other,
- 7-8 split players: same as 4 players playing near each other.

This logic apply to the /playerx X command.
On /players 8: monster are tough like if there was 8 players, but drops occur like if there was 4 players.

mhlg 815

Americas PC
The problem using this sort of clickbait scheme to pull players into games to raise drops is that people eventually catch on. You can only cry wolf so many times before the people of
Tristram
will no longer come running.

OP

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
mhlg wrote: 1 year ago
The problem using this sort of clickbait scheme to pull player into games to raise drops is that people eventually catch on. You can only cry wolf so many times before the people of
Tristram
You must have taken that screenshot on the Americas servers, because I just saw this same game in the lobby with the same character hosting it. Elapsed time is 8 hours 45 minutes and counting.

mhlg 815

Americas PC
Yes, it was on the Americas server. I've seen the same game posted several times over a number of days. I'm tempted to go in with an Enigma and ask if they're ready for the trade. When they tell me there's no trade, then ask them if they know anyone else I can trade my Enigma to for
Shako
, and them leave before they respond.

I notice this with Xbox lately too. When I go in no one is doing anything so I do a countess or summoner run rq. But most of the time it’s just “need free torches” or something silly.
OP

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
NGL I also like to go into these games for magic find or countess runs. A lot of people seem to show up with shako thinking that it's a real trade offer, so the inflated player count gives a good boost to drops.

mhlg wrote: 1 year ago
The problem using this sort of clickbait scheme to pull players into games to raise drops is that people eventually catch on. You can only cry wolf so many times before the people of
Tristram
That guy fooks.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...