Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
8 replies   1151 views

Description

Does anybody else hate the term farming for repeatedly killing a boss or magic finding in an area?

To me, farming has a connotation of milking cows, collecting eggs, harvesting wheat, and other rural activities of the like. I prefer the term hunting or magic finding or even mfing.

I know a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but unless we're playing harvest moon the term farming doesn't seem to fit here in my opinion. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Insults? Outrage? 🤣
Description by geo89

Can be used to make Runewords:

geo89 50

Assassin Americas XLinux
Does anybody else hate the term farming for repeatedly killing a boss or magic finding in an area?

To me, farming has a connotation of milking cows, collecting eggs, harvesting wheat, and other rural activities of the like. I prefer the term hunting or magic finding or even mfing.

I know a rose by any other name would smell as sweet, but unless we're playing harvest moon the term farming doesn't seem to fit here in my opinion. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Insults? Outrage? 🤣

This is a HARDCORE trade. PC only.

Schnorki 3152Moderator

PC
You plant your seeds (aka make a char), watch them grow (aka lvl and gear) and proceed to harvest your rewards (aka find stuff).

Sounds like farming to me.

Call it what you like but "reliably and consistently do the same thing in the same place to collect stuff in the long run" is a fairly apt shared simplified description of both, farming and item hunting.

(Yes, I know, you rotate crops to improve yields and whatnot..I said simplified!)

Either way, call it as you please. Just don't hate on farmers...thems is good people! Wouldn't be eating without them.

Actually, coming to think of it...sell harvested goods to the otherwise starving masses? Yeah, farming it is. :)

Personally, hunting just feels odd (I mindlessly rush into places and blow up everything in sight..that's not proper hunting) and magic finding is simply too long..farming just rolls off the tongue.
Schnorki wrote: 2 years ago

(Yes, I know, you rotate crops to improve yields and whatnot..I said simplified!)
I sometimes farm those spectres in arcane and sometimes in worldstone keep!

Yes Sir. I will stay a while and listen. Beer?
OP

geo89 50

Assassin Americas XLinux
You plant your seeds (aka make a char), watch them grow (aka lvl and gear) and proceed to harvest your rewards (aka find stuff).

Sounds like farming to me.
With metaphors you can make it sound like just about anything. Example:

You start with a blank canvas (aka make a char) and slowly season him/her with different paints and colors (aka lvl and gear), and proceed to paint your masterpiece and perfect your portrait (aka find stuff).

Sounds like painting to me.
Call it what you like but "reliably and consistently do the same thing in the same place to collect stuff in the long run" is a fairly apt shared simplified description of both, farming and item hunting.

You're hunting for items, runes, and gems aren't you? That doesn't fit?
Either way, call it as you please. Just don't hate on farmers...thems is good people! Wouldn't be eating without them.
I appreciate farmers, no hate here. I enjoy stocked grocery stores.
Actually, coming to think of it...sell harvested goods to the otherwise starving masses? Yeah, farming it is. :)
Who
Charsi
?
Personally, hunting just feels odd (I mindlessly rush into places and blow up everything in sight..that's not proper hunting)
Nor is it farming.

Running....cause you...run the whole time🤣 (dont bring up
Teleport
now)
geo89 wrote: 2 years ago
To me, farming has a connotation of milking cows
I mean... there is the
Secret Cow Level
... soo...

--
Available for trading on PC and Switch. Let's deal, my friend.
OP

geo89 50

Assassin Americas XLinux
Narmer wrote: 2 years ago
To me, farming has a connotation of milking cows
I mean... there is the
Secret Cow Level
... soo...
Don't even get me started on
The Cow King
(with udders)

Darq 86

Amazon Europe PC

The reason, why i don't like the "endgame" of Diablo II is because it feel exactly like farming. You can trivialize the bosses that much so you only ask the question how fast you can do it and not if you can do it. Hunting would mean there is a least a chance for failure but that is not the case here. I agree that farming is not the best term but hunting is even worse. If it would be hunting, getting the kill in the end should be success you can brag.
Darq wrote: 2 years ago

The reason, why i don't like the "endgame" of Diablo II is because it feel exactly like farming. You can trivialize the bosses that much so you only ask the question how fast you can do it and not if you can do it. Hunting would mean there is a least a chance for failure but that is not the case here. I agree that farming is not the best term but hunting is even worse. If it would be hunting, getting the kill in the end should be success you can brag.
I can see where it would get boring after a while if it's really that easy. One trick that helps me is loading up on MF gear to the point where I can still die if I don't play smart. Got around 500% or so on my hork barb with 33
Find Item
(56% chance). TONS of loot, but still gotta stay on my toes.

And I'm really hoping they eventually bring /players functionality to online (non ladder at least), which would add a lot more challenge as well. Really a bummer that /p# only works in offline mode..

When I'm not slaying demons, I'm usually out hiking mountains.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...