Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
16 replies   12384 views

Description

I'm a lvl 68 Fury druid just starting out in Hell, and I'm aiming to get Obedience soon. I want to put it in a weapon that'll be decent enough to get me past the midgame, but I don't necessarily need "the best" weapon (as I think that getting it sooner is more important - for comparison, I'm currently using
The Chieftain
(
Tabar
- upgraded).

Should I just go for any Elite polearm that drops with 5 sockets? Or is there a really really big difference between putting it in a
Cryptic Axe
or putting it in a
Thresher
?
Description by BillyMaysed

Can be used to make Runewords:

I'm a lvl 68 Fury druid just starting out in Hell, and I'm aiming to get Obedience soon. I want to put it in a weapon that'll be decent enough to get me past the midgame, but I don't necessarily need "the best" weapon (as I think that getting it sooner is more important - for comparison, I'm currently using
The Chieftain
(
Tabar
- upgraded).

Should I just go for any Elite polearm that drops with 5 sockets? Or is there a really really big difference between putting it in a
Cryptic Axe
or putting it in a
Thresher
?

BillyMaysed 2170Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
for my WW barb and Fury druid i made a couple Obedience's for leveling. One in a
Battle Scythe
and then another in a
Thresher
Cryptic Axe
also works for elite polearms. But the
Thresher
will attack faster though since its base speed is lower.

Obedience reduces the Strength and Dexterity Requirements by 20%, but still be weary of certain polearms like that require really high strength and dexterity.

Thresher
for best IAS I believe but for the runes required on Obedience, I would just make it with what can be found at the time with most damage.
OP
Thanks!

Are all polearms considered "fast" weapons for druids, btw? Or some are and some aren't?

Sorceress Americas PC
misaochan wrote: 2 years ago
Thanks!

Are all polearms considered "fast" weapons for druids, btw? Or some are and some aren't?
Thresher
speeds by class:
Cryptic Axe
:

OP
Ahhhh so that's what "D" means... :D
BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
for my WW barb and Fury druid i made a couple Obedience's for leveling. One in a
Battle Scythe
and then another in a
Thresher
Cryptic Axe
also works for elite polearms. But the
Thresher
will attack faster though since its base speed is lower.

Obedience reduces the Strength and Dexterity Requirements by 20%, but still be weary of certain polearms like
Colossus Voulge
that requires 210 str.
No need to worry about
Colossus Voulge
for Obedience since its max sockets is 4.

I'm using an
Eth
Cryptic Axe
for my Obedience still. The drop rate for me for
Eth
CA vs
Eth
Thresh has been 4 to 1, which is why I'm still using CA. It's packing around 1,050 on max dmg.

If assuming its for an act 2 merc.. I would recommend an
Eth
Thresher
instead of CA if it's that important to choose. You will be dealing with
Decrepify
curse often during Chaos and
Baal
runs so any increased attack speed would in fact be useful.

EDIT: Also for the above reasons. For WW Barb I'd go w/ CA. For Fury Druid I would use
Thresher
. That's just my opinion though.

Sorceress Americas PC
Nemamiah wrote: 2 years ago
No need to worry about
Colossus Voulge
never even checked since its str is cartoonishly high. lol.

BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
Nemamiah wrote: 2 years ago
No need to worry about
Colossus Voulge
never even checked since its str is cartoonishly high. lol.
Yes, the CV's str req is far too high.
Thresher
is the far better alternative.
OP
So I'm just wondering, since I haven't had great luck with socket drops... if I pick up a regular White
Thresher
and use the Act V socket quest on it... will I get 5 sockets and can I put the runeword in it?

Edit: The weap is for myself, not my merc. Yeah, Fury drood. :)
So I'm just wondering, since I haven't had great luck with socket drops... if I pick up a regular White
Thresher
and use the Act V socket quest on it... will I get 5 sockets and can I put the runeword in it?

Act 5 only puts 1 socket on an item, and you should not spend it to make an Obedience. You want to find or buy a 5 socket elite polearm.
OP
Agadeem wrote: 2 years ago
Thresher

Act 5 only puts 1 socket on an item, and you should not spend it to make an Obedience. You want to find or buy a 5 socket elite polearm.
Odd, http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/qu ... ards.shtml says:

"
Larzuk
adds the maximum number of sockets to regular items, based on: Base Item, Item Type, and item's (creation) level. The latter, which is often referred to as the 'ilvl', is determined by the source that dropped the item (monster's level if dropped from a monster). It makes no difference if the item is low (Cracked, Crude, Damaged, Low Quality), normal or high quality (Superior). Ethereal does not affect the outcome either. Again, only base item, item type and ilvl matter. NOTE: Because of the dependency on ilvl, your item may get fewer sockets than the inherent maximum ('Sockets') which is listed on the [Weapons and Armor] pages, if the ilvl is not sufficiently high. Use ilvl > 40 if you want the inherent maximum sockets in general."

Is that website outdated?
Act 5 will add max sockets for a normal item. 1 for unique.

E.g. a regular ethereal
Cryptic Axe
will get 5 sockets since 5 sockets is max.

A
Harlequin Crest
will get 1 socket since it is a unique
Shako

There is also a cube recipe to randomly roll for sockets. Different recipe for weapons and armor. I rolled 3 ethereal cryptic axes and 1 ethereal
Thresher
recently with this recipe. I got 2 rolls at 4 sockets on the CA's, 1 socket on the
Thresher
and 3 sockets on the other CA.

So, the lesson here being, you should try to carefully choose between the recipe and quest depending on what item you are using and how many sockets you want.

Schnorki 3024Moderator

PC
Agadeem wrote: 2 years ago
Thresher

Odd, http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/qu ... ards.shtml says:

"
Larzuk
adds the maximum number of sockets to regular items, based on: Base Item, Item Type, and item's (creation) level. The latter, which is often referred to as the 'ilvl', is determined by the source that dropped the item (monster's level if dropped from a monster). It makes no difference if the item is low (Cracked, Crude, Damaged, Low Quality), normal or high quality (Superior). Ethereal does not affect the outcome either. Again, only base item, item type and ilvl matter. NOTE: Because of the dependency on ilvl, your item may get fewer sockets than the inherent maximum ('Sockets') which is listed on the [Weapons and Armor] pages, if the ilvl is not sufficiently high. Use ilvl > 40 if you want the inherent maximum sockets in general."

Is that website outdated?

The website is correct. The quoted response is just wrong. Or maybe just misunderstood. It doesn't flat out "add 1 socket", it adds the max for that particular item (not item type mind you). So if you use it on a rare or unique or the like, it does only add 1 socket, regardless of what the item is. If you use it on a base item however, it adds the max for that particular item which is then either the max for that item type if the lvl is high enough or the max for the item type at the particular lvl of your item (note: that's ilvl so dependent on where the item dropped, nothing to do with your char level or the like).

The piece you quoted to me sounds more like "you can only socket items once with that quest" (based on the "should not spend [waste] it to make an Obedience") as in "Obedience isn't worth blowing the quest on, save it for something more important". Though I'd disagree with that, seeing how you can always just do a quick socket rush and with 5-10 minutes get another socket over and over again.

All of that having been said...did you already make your Obedience? If not, add me. I have a spare ethereal
Cryptic Axe
Obedience that you can have for free.
OP
Ah, right, gotcha! I already have my Obedience, but thank you so much for the offer. :)

Asha 334

Sorceress Europe PC
And nobody mentioned a
Great Poleaxe
... Almost the same speed as threshers, but more consistent and solid in terms of damage. Ok, whatever "shrugs"
I had someone in a free room in normal drop an
Eth
Cryptic Axe
5 socketed. That is the weapon I made my Obedience with almost 1100 max damage too!

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation