diablo2.io is supported by ads
35 replies   7275 views

Worrysome: Korean game centers to receive MF/GF buffs during gameplay

No data yet

Description

https://news.blizzard.com/ko-kr/diablo2 ... 5%EC%A7%80

Translated:
Hello Diablo Korean community,

To commemorate the launch of Diablo II: Resurrection, we would like to inform you about the events held in the PC room and the benefits you can receive from the PC room.

Diablo II: Resurrection PC Room Benefits

If you play Diablo II: Resurrection in the Battle.net PC room (a Blizzard Entertainment affiliate), you can enjoy the benefits below during gameplay.

+25% increased gold from monsters
+25% increased chance of finding magic items
- PC room benefits are applied at the time of launch.

- This benefit will not be applied in ladder mode. (More information about the ladder mode will be released after release and when ready-to-go.)

Blizzard Korea Diablo Team Dream
Nope. Just nope.
GTFO.

This is how it all starts...
Description by Stormlash

Can be used to make Runewords:

BMAY 527

Assassin Americas PC
https://news.blizzard.com/ko-kr/diablo2 ... 5%EC%A7%80

Translated:
Hello Diablo Korean community,

To commemorate the launch of Diablo II: Resurrection, we would like to inform you about the events held in the PC room and the benefits you can receive from the PC room.

Diablo II: Resurrection PC Room Benefits

If you play Diablo II: Resurrection in the Battle.net PC room (a Blizzard Entertainment affiliate), you can enjoy the benefits below during gameplay.

+25% increased gold from monsters
+25% increased chance of finding magic items
- PC room benefits are applied at the time of launch.

- This benefit will not be applied in ladder mode. (More information about the ladder mode will be released after release and when ready-to-go.)

Blizzard Korea Diablo Team Dream
Nope. Just nope.
GTFO.

This is how it all starts...

This type of thing was mentioned in the Korean interview posted early today or yesterday.

As long as it doesn’t become a “pay to win” type of thing or have super special items/gear/skills/characters/maps locked behind promos like this, it should be fine.

Edit: not that it’s good/right, but this IS Blizzard post Activision acquiring them. And it’s 2021. The days of a “game just being a game” are long gone.

"And I...am...Iron Lesbian."
*snap*
OP

BMAY 527

Assassin Americas PC
Getting a bonus for playing from a specific internet cafe seems like a form of pay-to-win to me.

If it's not the whole snowball already, it's definitely a snowflake on a slippery slope.

I don't know how closely people here follow classic wow. When they redid the burning crusade they put experience boosts in the cash shop.

I can see them doing the same for this game too.
+25% MF is literally nothing.
OP

BMAY 527

Assassin Americas PC
Krythic wrote: 2 years ago
On the contrary, it's literally 25% MF.
Or equivalent to a free extra
Ist
rune in your
Helm

It's not the fact that they're gettin some outrageous advantage, its the Principle of it.
Old diablo 2 would never implement something like this.

And if it's accepted without any push back, they will continue down a path that could lead to microtransactions and other terrible ideas.

Khegan 376

BMAY wrote: 2 years ago
On the contrary, it's literally 25% MF.
Or equivalent to a free extra
Ist
rune in your
Helm

It's not the fact that they're gettin some outrageous advantage, its the Principle of it.
Old diablo 2 would never implement something like this.

And if it's accepted without any push back, they will continue down a path that could lead to microtransactions and other terrible ideas.
I agree. It could've been just a measly +1% magic find boost, but the point would still remain that it sets a precedent that D2 has never seen.

Not to say that Blizz is likely to push this further. I'm sure they're aware of the massive backlash they would receive if they tried something like this with their Western audience.

BillyMaysed 2186Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
BMAY wrote: 2 years ago
Personally, this is by far the most troubling news I have yet in regards to the possible direction of things to come.
eh i agree its a bit iffy. but 25%? meh who cares. its super tiny and temporary. As long as this doesnt somehow spiral out of control into a "pay for MF boost" then i think this is just fine.

OP

BMAY 527

Assassin Americas PC
Personally, I have gone out of my way to maximize MF on certain builds, and to me 25% is not really unsubstantial. I can concede this is subjective and largely irrelevant to some.

But again, just the nature of having this exist implies that Activation Blizzard has more, similar pay-to-win ideas up their sleeve. Give 'em an inch, they'll take a mile. You can believe that.

The 25% MF isn't the point - it's the sale of in-game boosts.

Krythic wrote: 2 years ago
Exactly, also this only applies to non ladder.

However I think they are also gauging the communities reaction to this to see if they can insert microtransactions into other regions. So who knows what the future entails for us.

Setu 14

Sorceress Europe PC
This is truly worrysome. And if the majority is not against it (and let it be heard), Blizzard might implement even worse pay-to-win "features" in the future. It might look like an irrelevant boost to most people, but it IS a pay-to-win mentality that I would never have thought would hit D2R. I am quite disappointed actually.

Tavron 132

Paladin Europe PC
This is definitely very worrysome and is not something that should just be swept under the rug, because it's 'only 25 MF'. Blizzard needs to hear that this has NO place in Diablo 2 or even in the near vicinity of it.

"Seven Evils spawned of seven heads. Seven realms birthed from Death."

klh 52

Assassin Europe XLinux
Yeah, if they see no pushback on this then we might wake up a year later with RMAH or an item shop in the game.

phifi 19

Assassin Europe PC
omg - so this is how the downfall of d2r begins - even before launch day...

A little pessimistic, i know, but Activision has done nothing to earn trust for any matter. In fact, its the other way round.
Honestly don't care at this point. Its not a traditional mmorpg, if it was that would be fucked.

Imo, I'm just here to chill, grind, max, help others, and play. Will some smaller portion of the game receive a small charms worth more then me, ok. What about the elephants in the room. I don't know how big business works but I mean, its not fair but life is never fair or on even grounds so shit.

Beardozer 442Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Khegan wrote: 2 years ago
Not to say that Blizz is likely to push this further. I'm sure they're aware of the massive backlash they would receive if they tried something like this with their Western audience.
Since the entire world now plays together on the same 'server', stupid shit like this carries over to all markets. I agree with others here that 25MF isn't the end of the world, but it's in the game now. What other stupid promotional or paid services they gonna add?

I argue that it doesn't matter how minor the RMT buff is, I don't want RMT in this game. This can get out of control pretty quickly, and I disagree with this based on principal.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood

Khegan 376

Beardozer wrote: 2 years ago
Khegan wrote: 2 years ago
Since the entire world now plays together on the same 'server', stupid shit like this carries over to all markets. I agree with others here that 25MF isn't the end of the world, but it's in the game now. What other stupid promotional or paid services they gonna add?

I argue that it doesn't matter how minor the RMT buff is, I don't want RMT in this game. This can get out of control pretty quickly, and I disagree with this based on principal.
Hey, I agree with you, boss. I said that the "buff" itself is not the point in the first half of my post - it's the principle of it that's the issue.

Beardozer 442Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Yeah I'm just emphasizing that regional things like this impact all of us. I was reading on the official forums and people kept arguing that this is only a korean server thing, lol. Was surprised to see how many people weren't aware that we're all on one big happy 'server' this time around.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
While Blizz has a terrible record lately with respect to pay to win practices (I am done with WOW forever thanks to this), I don't see this as being in any way akin to that.

This is a promotion relating to a specific location in the world, an event promo that bridges gaming with real world commercial interests. There is no pay to win element here, as you are being rewarded for showing up and playing (and presumably spending) in this partner's locale.

I'm not saying the fears are unfounded or alarmist, however, but D2 does benefit from a passionate community who will, hopefully, protect the integrity of the game for some time to come. Rather, I hope that this sort of promotion will keep developers improving this new (for all extents and purposes) title for some time to come.

Call me an unwarranted optimist, perhaps, but in this case I am choosing to see the positive.

Tetra 180

Paladin Europe PC
First, nice Necromancy over there.

Second, nice vouching for an event that give (or was giving) an advantage to some players if they pay for Korean Internet Café time.
There is NO positive, NONE.
Stop fooling yourself: there is money involve, and there is a bonus received.
Money = Bonus, therefore, it's P2W.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...