Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
23 replies   2701 views

Description

I see a lot of posts for people getting
Ber
runes and other GG drops here as well as other sites. However, the selection bias is strong. Most of us have never seen a
Ber
and are probably in the middle of long dry spells. Seeing those posts can make us feel: unlucky, jealous, discouraged, etc. Knowing that there are others out there with the same feelings can help us all.

I'll go first. I've been farming cows for 3 weeks now without any HR drops. I should feel lucky because of the good drops I got prior to this dry spell, but right now I'm feeling discouraged and could really use an
Ohm
or maybe a
Lo
from RNGesus to make me feel better.
Description by BillyMaysed

Can be used to make Runewords:

Ber
runes and other GG drops here as well as other sites. However, the selection bias is strong. Most of us have never seen a
Ber
and are probably in the middle of long dry spells. Seeing those posts can make us feel: unlucky, jealous, discouraged, etc. Knowing that there are others out there with the same feelings can help us all.

I'll go first. I've been farming cows for 3 weeks now without any HR drops. I should feel lucky because of the good drops I got prior to this dry spell, but right now I'm feeling discouraged and could really use an
Ohm
or maybe a
Lo
That happened to me too, from this weekend onwards, looking at a single
Ohm
from Diablo.

After additional 500
Travincal
runs, and getting my barb to lvl 92 on
Travincal
alone got me a
Lem

Thats when I started just
Key
farming, and then selling unidentifed torches for
Gul
. At least that gets me a
Gul
, almost guaranteed, except that on Monday, 100 countess runs yielded NO KEYS!!!.

Yesterday was a bit better, getting the
Gul
from trading.

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector
OP
One thing that helps me when I'm frustrated is to change things up and do something else. I rotate around between farming keys, cows, Chaos, leveling new chars, etc. The funny thing is that my best rune drop happened while I was just questing and not even thinking about drops.
Well this happens to all of us . I mostly farm Chaos ( best place in my opinion) with my light sorc or dual Dream pala. So for a solid 6 days i havent got anything good either rune or some good item drop . Was chilling and talking with a random guy here on the forum for some trade and he was saying he is very unlucky with drops and everything . i told him mate i havent got anything for like a week or so. be patient and humble .So as i was farming at the same time i got
Jah
drop . i told him so while he joined for a trade . we do the trade i leave the game i make a new one i go to Frigid(my starting spot always)and i get a
Lo
rune drop . Moral of the story be patient you will get your drops. We all have bad days.

Fen 92

Amazon Europe PC
Don't let yourself be discouraged. When I read there people were happy about their first
Vex
drop in 20 years of Diablo (no idea how active they played) - I just thought I'll never get any HR anytime soon. Since then I found
Vex
Sur
and a
Cham
There's just days one will not find anything useful/of value. It'll change :).

Prices are negotiable :)
Please DO NOT add me, before I accepted a trade or without comment, thanks! :)
Offers via pm will be ignored.
Also, a good percentage of reddit posts about d2r are about godly drops and rolls, which essentially represent a very minute fraction of the real struggles with this slot machine of a game.

In the end, due to falling prices in unique items, its relatively cheap to equip any hell viable character, which is my next objective: gear a Necro with hell-viable gear spending less than a
Mal
, as a challenge.

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector

wale 39

Druid PC
Don't judge average luck based on Reddit or your friends telling you about what they found, just like you shouldn't assume people's lives are analogous to their Instagram posts.
Ber
drops are (literally) 1 in a million for most monsters on Hell difficulty.
OP
Thanks for the input. Just a reminder, my point of this thread is not to complain or to have probability explained to me. I noted the selection bias in my first post and I'm well aware of the nature of this game and how rare it is for runes to drop as I've been playing off and on since Classic came out. I'm also aware that as I accumulate Wealth, my notion of what a good drop is changes and thus the dry spells naturally get longer because I no longer care about most drops. The point was to help others who may be feeling unlucky know that they're not alone and that when you get that next drop it will feel even better after the dry spell. Good luck everyone and happy holidays. May Santa bring you all a
Ber
rune.

Banjo 138

Sorceress Americas PC
wale wrote: 2 years ago
Don't judge average luck based on Reddit or your friends telling you about what they found, just like you shouldn't assume people's lives are analogous to their Instagram posts.
Ber
yeah i like to think about it like this. people only post (generally) when they find something. imagine how many posts in the forum there would be if everyone posted. Didnt find a
Ber
rune today! youd see 1 out of 30,000 people find one while everyone else doesn't
OP
Banjo wrote: 2 years ago
Ber
yeah i like to think about it like this. people only post (generally) when they find something. imagine how many posts in the forum there would be if everyone posted. Didnt find a
Ber
rune today! youd see 1 out of 30,000 people find one while everyone else doesn't
Yes, exactly. That's basically the definition of selection bias and the reason I'm trying to counter that with a thread where people who have been grinding for a while and have nothing to show for it can vent and share their feelings. Despite being aware of this bias and the extremely low probabilities of these drops, it still doesn't feel great to work really hard at something and come up empty handed. However, luck can change in an instant and that's what keeps people coming back.

Banjo 138

Sorceress Americas PC
eltair wrote: 2 years ago
Banjo wrote: 2 years ago
Ber
Ber
Yes, exactly. That's basically the definition of selection bias and the reason I'm trying to counter that with a thread where people who have been grinding for a while and have nothing to show for it can vent and share their feelings. Despite being aware of this bias and the extremely low probabilities of these drops, it still doesn't feel great to work really hard at something and come up empty handed. However, luck can change in an instant and that's what keeps people coming back.
oh yeah. dont get me wrong mate. i dig the idea of the thread. currently in quite the brutal dry spell myself. had a great run probably two or weeks ago or so. found an
Ohm
Zod
Vex
Gul
, and
Sur
. all with in a week or two. makes you feel like finding HR's is super easy. then this happens and you don't squat for what feels like forever. so yeah to anyone out there also in a dry spell, may RNGesus bless you with his divine randomness soon.
Just keep killing cows or make new characters and keep killing cows. Just kill fast and start again or farm trav and come back.

Ohm
just popped tonight. (took about a few days of nothing from Cows)
Gul
the other night.

But I hear ya, I always see
Sol
or
Amn
pop in cows but you just have to think one of these runes off the cows is gonna be an HR...

Now I'm just hunting for gems to upgrade my runes off cow drops.

Currently running: Shenk/Eldritch/Pindle/Nithilthak/trav/meph/cows/andy/diablo (used to farm pits but I haven't gotten anything good there before).

Asha 344

Sorceress Europe PC
The only HR drops i actually got (with this char, i mean) for 94 level grinded on low/1 ppl were: 1
Sur
, 1
Vex
, 1
Ohm
. That's it - for 2 months of active hell farming here, there, everywhere. Obtained/cubed/traded several CtA's and HotO's in the process. Finally - yesterday created my very own Infinity. I'm just sayin you can make much more profit from clever and careful trading -bc HR drop is very unreliable thing.

So: it's either hard everyday work split-farmin several ppl games (and sooner or later you'll get these sneaky stonies) - or trading your loot and active stock-brockering, which involves no less effort, in fact. Of cource, we're all waiting for a sudden stroke of luck - but imo, it's just more reliable to work, work and work.

Besides, there is another way of thinkin here: forget about greed, drop and rune huntin - and just play your own way, which you personally enjoy the most. The game is sort of alive - and it doesn't like to be grinded/farmed. It wants you dive deep, and have a pleasant gameplay. And if you do - it'll reward you sooner or later, sometimes even more than you can expect 🙂
OP
Asha wrote: 2 years ago
The only HR drops i actually got (with this char, i mean) for 94 level grinded on low/1 ppl were: 1
Sur
, 1
Vex
, 1
Ohm
. That's it - for 2 months of active hell farming here, there, everywhere. Obtained/cubed/traded several CtA's and HotO's in the process. Finally - yesterday created my very own Infinity. I'm just sayin you can make much more profit from clever and careful trading -bc HR drop is very unreliable thing.

So: it's either hard everyday work split-farmin several ppl games (and sooner or later you'll get these sneaky stonies) - or trading your loot and active stock-brockering, which involves no less effort, in fact. Of cource, we're all waiting for a sudden stroke of luck - but imo, it's just more reliable to work, work and work.

Besides, there is another way of thinkin here: forget about greed, drop and rune huntin - and just play your own way, which you personally enjoy the most. The game is sort of alive - and it doesn't like to be grinded/farmed. It wants you dive deep, and have a pleasant gameplay. And if you do - it'll reward you sooner or later, sometimes even more than you can expect 🙂
I agree 100% with the notion of playing how you enjoy. I find herding cows into a giant mass and blowing them all up with a couple
Javelin
throws to be soothing when I'm in the mood to relax. However, to break the monotony, I built a Pitzerker for an entirely different and interesting play experience (haven't found anything good there yet though). I also farm keys with my trap assassin, or Chaos/
Baal
with my summon necro. I have been blessed enough by RNGesus to acquire Enigma, HotO, CtA, and Grief, as well as many nice unique drops to fill out my different characters. I'm at the point where I basically just want an Infinity to feel complete before Ladder starts. I know it's going to be a long grind unless two
Ber
runes drop tonight (*crosses fingers*).
OP
Just a quick update on this epic dry spell. Since my last post I've been running mostly pindle/eldritch/trav/Chaos/
Baal
with my summon necro. I also mixed in a bunch of cow and pit runs. For all of this I had very little to show (no high rune drops). A few skillers and a blue trap claw that would have been gg if only it rolled on
Greater Talons
. Still, I traded what I could, slowly accumulating some currency. Just yesterday, I was thinking I'll probably never get Infinity, but kept grinding anyway.

Last night, I finally broke my rune dry spell with a
Vex
. Then this morning (just a few runs later), a
Sur
dropped! So, for those who may be on a 6+ week dry spell like I was, keep at it! Eventually, you'll get some good drops. I'm now about 3/4 of the way to Infinity and can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Biggest piece of advice I can give is just to change up your routine to make it more interesting. Cows and Chaos get boring fast. Hit up some other areas with high monster density, like
Flayer Jungle
, or if you want some XP, Worldstone Keep and Nihlithak. All have waypoints so no Enigma necessary. Can run to The Pit pretty easily as well, and nearby
Black Marsh
has high density too.

Also remember MF does nothing for rune, charm, and gem drops. You’d be amazed how much of this stuff rains down in
Flayer Jungle
if you have some broad AoE damage (
Frozen Orb
Lightning Fury
Poison Nova
Strafe
, etc). Plus gloams are there which have like 5x the odds of dropping runes than a typical monster.
Been farming hell cows with my Javazon for a long time and never got any rune over
Lem
there. Currently players 5.

And I have been playing since launch.
I run hell cows constantly with my poison necro and haven't got a single decent hr. But what I do find is bases for runewords.
Eth
CV
Eth
Thresher
Sup DS, Sup Archons the list goes on. For HR pop them seals in Chaos, charms I honestly find a crap ton in A3
Great Marsh
and
Flayer Jungle
and some of the dungeons before trav. Unique Unique sets always good from Andy and meph

Xbox GT: Cinomed541 add me if you need someone to play with.
eltair wrote: 2 years ago
Ber
Ber

Ohm
or maybe a
Lo
Hey I didn't think I would ever see an
Eschuta's Temper
let alone own one but I was doing a Chaos run while waiting to trade runes I killed the ghost seal boss and guess what a unid
Eldritch Orb
drops my jaw dropped the moral is keep trying you will get something eventually
Yesterday I saw a post from a guy documenting his cow runs. Within 50 runs he had round a
Jah
Gul
and some other stuff.
Meanwhile I finished 160 cows and found a
Mal
+ 2
Ko
. RNGesus can be cruel.

All prices are negotiable.
All trades are Non-Ladder.

Advertisment

Hide ads