Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
3 replies   369 views

Multiple language support for diablo2.io (especially items)

No data yet

Site Feedback

Description

Hi there,

I play the game in German and have to search partly for the English names of the items I want to trade. It would be great if other languages can be optionally stored and the search then matched to both names.

Regards
Heckenklatscher

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hi there,

I play the game in German and have to search partly for the English names of the items I want to trade. It would be great if other languages can be optionally stored and the search then matched to both names.

Regards
Heckenklatscher
Request fulfilledby Teebling2 years agoGo to post
I'm afraid that localisation of the site will not be happening, sorry. I know there are a lot of German players and Russian players, but localising the entire site is a huge undertaking.

Teebling 6005Admin

Europe PC
I'm afraid that localisation of the site will not be happening, sorry. I know there are a lot of German players and Russian players, but localising the entire site is a huge undertaking.
This post was marked as the best answer.

Teebling wrote: 2 years ago
Data base entries (items, monsters and so on) translation is (relatively) easy - just extract strings from the game.
Site engine, phpBB, has translation packages available.
Regarding customizations (such as trading), have you considered crowdsourcing, for example Crowdin? I'm pretty sure D2 community can handle it. :)

Teebling 6005Admin

Europe PC
Trang Oul wrote: 2 years ago
Data base entries (items, monsters and so on) translation is (relatively) easy - just extract strings from the game.
You guys think it was as simple as that for even English? It really wasn't. There's a lot more to building a database than just extracting game data. For example none of the variant names are stored next to monster base names in the game files - they had to be manually paired with codes in different tables to get the output names. These weren't capitalised and had spelling mistakes (yes there are spelling mistakes in D2's core files, which are fixed later in the program by something else).
Site engine, phpBB, has translation packages available.
This is not a standard phpBB installation - it's modified far from the original intended package. Language packages can't be bolted onto diablo2.io like a standard phpBB installation unfortunately.
Regarding customizations (such as trading), have you considered crowdsourcing, for example Crowdin? I'm pretty sure D2 community can handle it.
It's not a question of the D2 community being able to handle it. The database itself is testament to the hard work of all the contributors and people crowdsouring info about the game. The issue is the development side of things - why should I spend a month preparing the site for crowdsourced localisations when I can spend that time working on more important things that are relevant to all users.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...