Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
5 replies   8519 views

Description

Update (18/8/2021): Currently, this guide is only valid for classic D2. Ethereal bugging was fixed as of D2R early access Beta, and this change may be pushed to the game's release build.

Hello,

This is a short write up on "bugging" ethereal armors, which is to take advantage of certain cube recipes that cause these items to have their base defense increased dramatically.

First, the recipes in question (taken directly from Arreat Summit):

Code: Select all

1 Tal Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Topaz + Normal Body Armor = Socketed Body Armor of same type

1 Ral Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal Helm = Socketed Helm of same type

1 Tal Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Ruby + Normal Shield = Socketed Shield of same type

And their equivalents on d2io are:

Recipe: Add Sockets to Normal Body Armor

Recipe: Add Sockets to Normal Shield

Recipe: Add Sockets to Normal Helm

Note: "Normal" here does not refer to normal/exceptional/elite variants.

I chose to omit the official details for each of these due to how lengthy they are, but the rules are basically this:
  • Low Quality, Superior, and Socketed items do not work
  • The item will receive a random number of sockets (based on type of armor, and restricted by item level)

What is the bug?

Using any of these recipes, ethereal armors - which have an innate +50% defense bonus - receive another 50% added to their total base defense, as the game erroneously applies the ethereal bonus twice (nice one, Blizzard). This has the potential to create some insane results, such as an ~1800 def Exile
Sacred Targe
or a ~4000 def Stone
Kraken Shell

Popular Runewords

For hirelings, common choices are Stone, Duress, Fortitude, and sometimes Prudence (has self-repair, so you can use it on your character too). The takeaway here is to focus on runewords that provide % enhanced defense, as this modifier will multiply the total defense. When picking a base, I suggest aiming for any elite that doesn't have an enormous strength requirement so that it can be equipped earlier, such as
Great Hauberk
or
Archon Plate
. Hirelings are affected by faster run/walk penalties, but I'd say a merc's move speed is unimportant, so go for heavier gear instead if that's to your liking.

A note on Treachery: While this one is very popular, I wouldn't recommend it for bugging for two reasons: lack of enhanced defense and the conflict between wanting Fade to proc versus your merc not getting hit at all. In situations where avoiding damage is not possible (e.g. Nihlathak's Corpse Explosion), Fade is preferable.

For characters, there's not as many great options. Exile is the obvious one that practically begs for an eth bugged base with its
Defiance
Aura, self-repair, and minimum 220% enhanced defense. As mentioned above, Prudence is viable, but its status as a mid-game runeword means an eventual replacement.

Conclusion

I should point out here that while the results of ethereal bugging can be great, defense isn't everything. There are plenty of excellent Unique armors (
Shaftstop
Duriel's Shell
, etc.) that can stay on your hireling forever; they'll still perform exceptionally well without high-end bugged equipment.

Thanks for reading, and stay safe.

- Khegan
Description by Khegan

Can be used to make Runewords:

Khegan 376

Update (18/8/2021): Currently, this guide is only valid for classic D2. Ethereal bugging was fixed as of D2R early access Beta, and this change may be pushed to the game's release build.

Hello,

This is a short write up on "bugging" ethereal armors, which is to take advantage of certain cube recipes that cause these items to have their base defense increased dramatically.

First, the recipes in question (taken directly from Arreat Summit):

Code: Select all

1 Tal Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Topaz + Normal Body Armor = Socketed Body Armor of same type

1 Ral Rune + 1 Thul Rune + 1 Perfect Sapphire + Normal Helm = Socketed Helm of same type

1 Tal Rune + 1 Amn Rune + 1 Perfect Ruby + Normal Shield = Socketed Shield of same type

And their equivalents on d2io are:

Recipe: Add Sockets to Normal Body Armor

Recipe: Add Sockets to Normal Shield

Recipe: Add Sockets to Normal Helm

Note: "Normal" here does not refer to normal/exceptional/elite variants.

I chose to omit the official details for each of these due to how lengthy they are, but the rules are basically this:
  • Low Quality, Superior, and Socketed items do not work
  • The item will receive a random number of sockets (based on type of armor, and restricted by item level)

What is the bug?

Using any of these recipes, ethereal armors - which have an innate +50% defense bonus - receive another 50% added to their total base defense, as the game erroneously applies the ethereal bonus twice (nice one, Blizzard). This has the potential to create some insane results, such as an ~1800 def Exile
Sacred Targe
or a ~4000 def Stone
Kraken Shell

Popular Runewords

For hirelings, common choices are Stone, Duress, Fortitude, and sometimes Prudence (has self-repair, so you can use it on your character too). The takeaway here is to focus on runewords that provide % enhanced defense, as this modifier will multiply the total defense. When picking a base, I suggest aiming for any elite that doesn't have an enormous strength requirement so that it can be equipped earlier, such as
Great Hauberk
or
Archon Plate
. Hirelings are affected by faster run/walk penalties, but I'd say a merc's move speed is unimportant, so go for heavier gear instead if that's to your liking.

A note on Treachery: While this one is very popular, I wouldn't recommend it for bugging for two reasons: lack of enhanced defense and the conflict between wanting Fade to proc versus your merc not getting hit at all. In situations where avoiding damage is not possible (e.g. Nihlathak's Corpse Explosion), Fade is preferable.

For characters, there's not as many great options. Exile is the obvious one that practically begs for an eth bugged base with its
Defiance
Aura, self-repair, and minimum 220% enhanced defense. As mentioned above, Prudence is viable, but its status as a mid-game runeword means an eventual replacement.

Conclusion

I should point out here that while the results of ethereal bugging can be great, defense isn't everything. There are plenty of excellent Unique armors (
Shaftstop
Duriel's Shell
, etc.) that can stay on your hireling forever; they'll still perform exceptionally well without high-end bugged equipment.

Thanks for reading, and stay safe.

- Khegan

Teebling 5807Admin

Europe PC
Concise and t0-the-point. Thanks for that explanation Khegan, great job. I wonder if they will keep this little trick in Resurrected?

They've said that they will stay true to the original game and even include known bugs, such as the Andy loot bug. I'd guess the
Eth
bug will stay, too, but ofc we'll have to wait and see to be certain.
As I had to painfully find out myself yesterday, it does indeed NOT work anymore in D2R. In the official Blizzard-forums there is this thread as well: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2r/t ... gone/14468

For trades: PrincipalO#2775
For DClone/Ubers: ForrestGrump#2731

BillyMaysed 2186Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
PrincipalOShagH wrote: 2 years ago
As I had to painfully find out myself yesterday, it does indeed NOT work anymore in D2R. In the official Blizzard-forums there is this thread as well: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2r/t ... gone/14468
Ya its really annoying they got rid of the WSG, Ebug and STR bug. They weren't hurting any of the gameplay, they only allowed more flexibility and options. Really bizarre they chose those to fix and then stand firm on.

Fend
seems to be still bugged? so they fix bug that benefits players, but don't fix the ones that affect negatively.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation