Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
13 replies   5231 views

Description

Hey there,

Drowning in research / decisions about which way to take this build, and curious to hear your thoughts.

The way I see it, Enigma is far superior in many ways to a tri-
Tal
build in theory, though I'm not sure in practice. Obviously, it's a way more expensive route - let's neglect this for now.

If the goal is to optimize MF%,
Tal
's is definitely the way to go... but it feels like the small hit in MF % isn't worth all the benefits of an Enigma based build.

Enigma / Arach / Mara's
  • 6 to skills
  • 90% MF
  • Very few, if any, points into strength to meet Spirit req
  • All the other amazing things that come with Enigma (FRW, damage reduction, life on kill, etc.)
Triple
Tal
  • 3 to skills
  • 168% MF
  • Potentially large strength investment to meet Spirit req
  • Huge bump in resistances - easy to meet max without charms
In summary, it seems like if you're able to overcome the lack of resistances (seems possible with charms) and are willing to give up about 70% MF, Enigma has massive benefits over Triple
Tal
... what do people think?

I know that CoH is the meta for non-
Tal
sorceress builds... I just don't get it. Enigma seems superior in most every way except resistances.

Thanks for reading!
Description by BillyMaysed

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hey there,

Drowning in research / decisions about which way to take this build, and curious to hear your thoughts.

The way I see it, Enigma is far superior in many ways to a tri-
Tal
build in theory, though I'm not sure in practice. Obviously, it's a way more expensive route - let's neglect this for now.

If the goal is to optimize MF%,
Tal
's is definitely the way to go... but it feels like the small hit in MF % isn't worth all the benefits of an Enigma based build.

Enigma / Arach / Mara's
  • 6 to skills
  • 90% MF
  • Very few, if any, points into strength to meet Spirit req
  • All the other amazing things that come with Enigma (FRW, damage reduction, life on kill, etc.)
Triple
Tal
  • 3 to skills
  • 168% MF
  • Potentially large strength investment to meet Spirit req
  • Huge bump in resistances - easy to meet max without charms
In summary, it seems like if you're able to overcome the lack of resistances (seems possible with charms) and are willing to give up about 70% MF, Enigma has massive benefits over Triple
Tal
... what do people think?

I know that CoH is the meta for non-
Tal
sorceress builds... I just don't get it. Enigma seems superior in most every way except resistances.

Thanks for reading!

BillyMaysed 2185Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Depends what build and depends what you want. If you want more MF, tals, if you want to be more of a Tank CoH or Enigma.

Enigma is too rich for my blood, when i finally make one its going to my Hammerdin, not my sorc.
Energy Shield
makes her tanky enough.

Just remember after the first 300 MF you get those HUGE diminishing returns from Magic Find. Heres the graph:

interesting, ive never seen the graph explain it like that.

just looking at the graph, so essentially every point after, pretty much 300, you are more and more likely to just get magic items instead of uniques or set.

is that what it means? for example, if at 300, you have lets say , a 1/3 getting blue, 1/3 getting set or yellow, and 1/3 getting unique, where as at 600, its closer to 1/2 blue, 1/4th unique and 1/4th set or rare. is that how it works? or is mf figured out differently.

HFA 40

Sorceress Europe PC
I think it works top down when checking for items, so whenever an item drops it first checks if it's unique, then if it's set, then rare, then blue.
xiaosoap wrote: 2 years ago
for example, if at 300, you have lets say , a 1/3 getting blue, 1/3 getting set or yellow, and 1/3 getting unique, where as at 600, its closer to 1/2 blue, 1/4th unique and 1/4th set or rare.
As HFA says, works top down.
To clarify, also based on the roll for that monster; for example if the item selected has a 1% chance for unique then your ~160% MF gives you about 100% Better Unique Find, so it is now a 2% chance. So if you roll 1-98 you would fail unique, then it would roll for set, etc.

What the graph is saying that 600% MF only increases that base 1% chance to around 3% (a 200% increase).
Whereas if the chance to drop a magic item is 1% that gets increased by the full 600% so it would be 7% (if the rolls for unique/set/rare fail)
I see, so even though you see diminishing results, its still not bad to have more MF. ive heard have more killing power, but if im killing easily, with 500mf, i should keep the 500mf rather than going down, to kill easier? replace nagel rings for sojs or something, right?

EnragedN3wb 187Moderator

PC
Correct. There is no such thing as "too much Magic Find" unless it's dropping your kill speed enough that the gains are negated by making you slower than the increase is helping. It's a balancing act between kill speed & MF, but at no point will MF hurt your chance at getting unique items from a kill.
I'd prefer to have a
Ko
-
Ko
-
Mal
or Rhyme shield for +all resist lol.
Tal
armor can get a socket bringing total MF to 182 (with ptopaz), just something to keep in mind.
Tal
set is a ton cheaper than Enigma, giving massive magic find and decent damage and resistances.

In terms of raw damage potential, Enigma can be very strong, but I am afraid it may compete for attention with any other of your chars, since it literally works for every class.

(Realizes that this is a dead thread and says sorry!!!)

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector
Why would you waste an Enigma in a class that already can
Teleport
?
BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
Depends what build and depends what you want. If you want more MF, tals, if you want to be more of a Tank CoH or Enigma.

when i finally make one its going to my Hammerdin, not my sorc.
My Enigma is shared for all chars who can use it, I find it most useful on Paladin, Barb, Necro, somewhat good on trapsin and javazon. For my bliz soc, I use
Tal
, bliz is strong enough in most cases, I like the boost in MF and Res so I can have room in my inventory to pickup things without opening the Cube.

Enigma hammerdin is just brutal... with 13k hammer dmg, clearing 8 players game in similar speed as soloing.
If you neglect the fact that the Enigma based gear is much more expensive, I think it is better. You can just clear everything so fast and even if you have lower mf it is compensated by the clearing speed. The thing is that in players 1 there may not be a big difference in clearing speed but with top gear you can go in players 8 and clear
Arcane Sanctuary
quickly for instance. And aim for high runes :)
Also with Enigma it is actually great to have the +45% to run walk, it makes a difference while walking in town

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation