Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
4 replies   141 views

Description

I'm starting a new HC SSF run with one character of each class.
But I'm not sure what assasin build I should go for.

Some extra rules for this run:
  • Only sunder charms in the shared stash to start. I can share what I find.
  • No runes in equipment (can be used in the cube)
  • One character for each sunder type. (assasin has free choice, as I have one for each already)
  • Start the build from level 1 (no skill tree swapping for faster levelling)
  • New builds (I finished one classic and one LOD run before) - so no
    Phoenix Strike
    this time.

I see three options for my assasin.
  • Trapsin - Seems pretty safe, but mana intensive and I don't like being passive (ex. disliked fishymancer) - I'd rather not...
  • Bladesin - Also seems pretty safe, yet mana intensive. How runeword dependent is a bladesin?
  • Kicksin - Seems fun. How runeword dependent is a kicksin? - preferred choice, I think...

Is there any advice here?
Even for the others build, tips are very welcome...

• Fire - Elemental Druid - had a Fire claw +
    Maul
    Bear in my last run, which might well be my favorite toon
  • Cold - Blizzard Sorc - would have preferred a lightning sorc, but Cold it is
  • Lightning - Lightning Zon - Fury or Strike, not sure yet. probably Strike because of mana
  • Phys - Throw Barb - would have preffered a Singer, but that seems very, very mana heavy
  • Poison - Poison necro - I loved
    Plague Javelin
    , looking forward to this despite the mana demand.

Can be used to make Runewords:

I'm starting a new HC SSF run with one character of each class.
But I'm not sure what assasin build I should go for.

Some extra rules for this run:
  • Only sunder charms in the shared stash to start. I can share what I find.
  • No runes in equipment (can be used in the cube)
  • One character for each sunder type. (assasin has free choice, as I have one for each already)
  • Start the build from level 1 (no skill tree swapping for faster levelling)
  • New builds (I finished one classic and one LOD run before) - so no
    Phoenix Strike
    this time.

I see three options for my assasin.
  • Trapsin - Seems pretty safe, but mana intensive and I don't like being passive (ex. disliked fishymancer) - I'd rather not...
  • Bladesin - Also seems pretty safe, yet mana intensive. How runeword dependent is a bladesin?
  • Kicksin - Seems fun. How runeword dependent is a kicksin? - preferred choice, I think...

Is there any advice here?
Even for the others build, tips are very welcome...

• Fire - Elemental Druid - had a Fire claw +
    Maul
    Bear in my last run, which might well be my favorite toon
  • Cold - Blizzard Sorc - would have preferred a lightning sorc, but Cold it is
  • Lightning - Lightning Zon - Fury or Strike, not sure yet. probably Strike because of mana
  • Phys - Throw Barb - would have preffered a Singer, but that seems very, very mana heavy
  • Poison - Poison necro - I loved
    Plague Javelin
    , looking forward to this despite the mana demand.

Schnorki 3757Moderator

PC
Somewhat ironically, the one I would personally hard exclude is your preferred choice. Kicksins are just painfully "mweh" without runes (and hence without Mosaic).

You can still play through, sure, but you're certainly making things unnecessarily hard for ya.

Trapsins are just brilliant allrounder characters. They do use a fair bit of mana, yes, but that won't be as bad for you as your "no runes" removes Enigma and hence all of the mana consumption that goes with chain teleporting, giving your mana time to regen while running instead. Insight is still nice and all but even without it, you can make them work with little to no mana pots (mine runs on infinite mana without pots or Insight, despite Enigma spam-tele-mana-usage between traps).

Blade
sins are fairly fun (subjective, naturally) and equally work well enough without runes, though they do work far better if you get the rune-based dmg scaling options (weapon variety, fort, ...). Mana usage usually isn't an issue at all because mana steal does work with
Blade Fury

Hell, even a shadow sin works surprisingly well (for playthrough purposes, not so much for speed farming later on, obv). Get your master buffed to hell and back, start Venom-sniping stuff alongside him, .. gimmicky but actually kinda fun and surprisingly not-terrible. :)
I also play HC NL like yourself.

If I had to pick a build, I would probably go with either blades or
Lightning Sentry
trap sin. And between those 2 I think blades is a little more fun (less meta)

I do have a endgame one of these that I started from scratch, and it was able to hold its own throughout the climb probably a little better then light in hell difficulty.

I did this though without the use of
Death Sentry
. I wanted to evaluate the character on its own merits.

It does shine on maps with tight, narrow corridors, and hallways (Maggot/ Niths Temple/ Worldstone and throne)

Setting up sentries with the effective casting and manipulation of
Shadow Warrior
, (my preference over master because it uses the same skills you do)
allows you to "bait" enemies into your "razor welcome mat".

This character is NOT Ias dependant Fury being a fixed frame attack, and being chilled is only annoying and not more problematic like it would be with the LS variant.

Your typical end game best in slot would be a rare claw with skills and high enhanced damage,
the more the merrier. This will incentivize you checking your rare claw drops more often (thus more in line with your goals for the character)

This character does get the bonuses from
Claw Mastery
so running one of these will be your overall best option.

Even Bartuc's or a
Shadow Killer
or nats claw and set if found will serve this character well.

My last 2 reasons for recommending the build is #1 the last patch fix, the channeling is not longer halted when the initial target is killed. #2 There are fewer physical immunes overall in the game, so running a
Bone Break
and not having to lower lightning resistances is a better overall option from a safety standpoint, and wont involve needing to find specific resistance charms to compensate for this.

Come to Hardcore, Embrace the Dread ;)
Please Review my about me post for Ground rules before you make posts in my topics, if these are violated (even in ignorance) the consequence is the same.
OP
Great input. Thanks!

I'm leaning towards blades now. But I am a bit confused about the kicksin needing Mosaic to shine.

I thought they usually stick to just
Dragon Talon
, Venom and
Death Sentry
, ignoring the
Charge
up skills?
Weren't kicksins pretty powerful even before Mosiac? Or did their power always come from runewords?

Schnorki 3757Moderator

PC
Lumumba wrote: 3 hours ago
[..]
I thought they usually stick to just
Dragon Talon
, Venom and
Death Sentry
, ignoring the
Charge
up skills?
Weren't kicksins pretty powerful even before Mosiac? Or did their power always come from runewords?
With that approach, you're either looking at constant re-charging-upping which is beyond annoying and pretty bad performance overall or you ignore
Charge
-ups entirely and end up with rather 'mweh' single target damage, all while being semi-squishy in melee range.

Dragon Tail
you could actually push to 'overkill' levels even without any
Charge
ups but takes a fair bit more rather specific gear that you're unlikely to get as part of just your normal combined playthroughs.

You can still make it through the game, sure, same as pretty much any other class/build one could Dream up, but it is kinda bad by comparison imo.

Death Sentry
is kind of a different topic imo..I wouldn't consider that a kicksin, seeing how you get nearly the same effect just dropping them sentries and having your merc (and/or master) kill the initial couple mobs. Your main focus/dmg/whatever at that point is the
Death Sentry
, not the kicking.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...