Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
10 replies   733 views

Description

Hi all. I was planning on respeccing my Hammerdin to a Smiter (level 90). I know the advice is always "mercs die in
Uber Tristram
so don't bother", but I was wondering if there's a way to Uber-proof a merc.

So these are the 2 options I came up with:
Act 2 Might merc
Obedience
Kira's Guardian

Guardian Angel

Act 1 Cold merc
Mist
Kira's Guardian

Guardian Angel

For the act 2 merc's resistances, a lvl 90 merc has 157 plus 30 from perfect Obedience, 68 from almost perfect kira's and 60 from pre-buff Treachery lvl 15
Fade
. Then subtract 100% from hell and 125% from
Über Mephisto
and it caps the 90 all res. Is this overkill? I thought about a build that caps on 75% all res, with
Crown of Ages
and Chains of Honor that would allow a Reaper's Toll, but then again, decrep overrides
Life Tap
. So maybe a Pride? eBOTD?

For the act 1 merc's we get 149 base, plus 40 from Mist, 66 from a slightly worse kira's and 60 from
Fade
. Minus 225 we get exactly 90 all res. We lose the Might aura, but gain lvl 12
Concentration

Any thoughts on these builds? Is the unkillable merc possible? Maybe there's a better combination of items, let me know your ideas.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hi all. I was planning on respeccing my Hammerdin to a Smiter (level 90). I know the advice is always "mercs die in
Uber Tristram

Act 2 Might merc
Obedience
Kira's Guardian

Guardian Angel

Act 1 Cold merc
Mist
Kira's Guardian

Guardian Angel

For the act 2 merc's resistances, a lvl 90 merc has 157 plus 30 from perfect Obedience, 68 from almost perfect kira's and 60 from pre-buff Treachery lvl 15
Fade
Über Mephisto
and it caps the 90 all res. Is this overkill? I thought about a build that caps on 75% all res, with
Crown of Ages
and Chains of Honor that would allow a Reaper's Toll, but then again, decrep overrides
Life Tap

For the act 1 merc's we get 149 base, plus 40 from Mist, 66 from a slightly worse kira's and 60 from
Fade
Concentration

Any thoughts on these builds? Is the unkillable merc possible? Maybe there's a better combination of items, let me know your ideas.
From my personal experience there is no guaranteed outcome for a given bout in
Uber Tristram
as far as hireling's survivability is concerned. To assist my
Frenzy
barbarian I use an act 1 merc equipped with a Mist grand matron, ethereal Fortitude and an ethereal
Andariel
's
Mask
. In one run yesterday I didn't have to use a single
Full Rejuvenation Potion
on either the barb or the hireling to complete it. On the second run she died within seconds. During two more runs today she kept dying very quickly. It squarely depends on how "smart" the hireling is to avoid being hit. The probability of it is next to nil.

Necrarch 1823Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Tend to agree with Bigbikefan on the random aspect, but depends against whom.

The main issue for the merc is
Mephisto
with his
Conviction
, but I don't bother changing his stuff just for that fight. Usually he dies, but if Meph targets me or my minions, he can live. Usually I circle around to be on the opposite side of my merc so that if I am targeted, he is not, and if he is, at least it does not hit me.

After Meph, that's a more classical fights with tons of DPS on the other side : enough full rejuvs can do the work. And after all it's only 50k gold to
Revive
them...

As for the type, my A2 usually dies against Meph but survives the others if I hit Ctrl+V (V is my full rejuv
Key
) quick enough.

A1 dies if she is targeted but quite often she is not, and as she wears Delirium (the famous Manic Pixie Dreamgirl build!) she can be a tremendous help confusing all other monsters around. But if one of the 3 brothers decides that she shall die... she does no matter what I do.

As for changing stuff just to help survivability, I am not a big fan : if changing his stuff prevents him from doing what he is supposed to do (A1 : cast
Confuse
all around, A2 : Mana refill, Might and bring his DPS), he can die, I won't care too much.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL

Schnorki 3354Moderator

PC
Generally speaking, most of a merc's survivability stems from dmg + leech, combined with typically (at least very close to) capped resistances across the board.

Ubers (considering all of it) mess with that in 3 distinct ways:
1) Lack of resistances: Uber meph wrecks your merc's resistances hard..much like he does your own
2) No leech due to lack of dmg: There's a fair few phys immune adds to be found along the way
3) Little to no life leech otherwise: due to a bunch of undead and low drain effectiveness

Now, in order to address those..
#3 is actually an easy fix since you as a smiter will bring
Life Tap
, eliminating that problem entirely. The only thing you then still need to do here is make sure your merc stays at least somewhere within the general area so he attacks life tapped targets and not some random uncursed stuff at the Edge of your screen. With A2 mercs, that tends not to be a problem. A1 mercs do whatever they want anyways (and suck in general imo, if you don't desperately need Faith) so...mweh... :P

#1 is also a relatively easy fix. Sure, you could gear your merc to passively "out-res" meph but if you do so, he'll be geared entirely to live through meph, inherently making him (FAR) worse at everything else. Keep in mind that you yourself also need to counter meph's aura. The single easiest way to do that imo is to simply get a point (or simply your leftover pts, of which a smiter has a fair few) in
Salvation
. That'll usually easily keep you fully capped against meph and it'll typically keep your merc close enough to the same (or still fully capped, depending on exact gear) as well. At the same time, you get to (both) stay geared for performance, rather than for meph, meaning you lose 0 performance anywhere else as you simply switch back to fana as soon as meph is dead. You can still easily gear a smiter to stay at max attack speed even without fana and CB doesn't need fana for dmg purposes so even on meph, with
Salvation
on, you still annihilate him in no time as well.

#2 is probably the hardest of the three to deal with as it requires babysitting on phys immunes and potentially a reposition of your merc if you take too long (thanks to sunders sadly not working for your merc). On the plus side, the PIs themselves tend to not be too challenging so even if your merc is at the Edge of the screen fighting those, you tend to have a ton of time before it becomes any sort of issue. The real issue here is if your merc is next to
Baal
Baal
suckerpunches your merc instead of you and your merc is busy ignoring
Baal
's assault but instead going for the stupid PI that's next to both of them. In that case, either kill
Baal
(or the PI) quick enough to where you save your merc in time or suck it up and reposition. The latter is annoying when fully dmg geared but no problem at all if you're an Enigma smiter. Though either way, this doesn't happen all too often so you don't reeaaaaaally have to worry about it with a geared merc.

Beyond those 3, the only real thing is that going through ubers has you facing some sources of (significantly) higher dmg than you do in other places. Most of those don't matter much as they're still easily out-leeched by
Life Tap
and such. The only one that still has a legit chance of simply annihilating your merc no matter what is
Andariel
herself as she just hits like a truck. Especially if you forget to clear the amp from her adds beforehand or your merc just charges at her with it still on.

Personally, I gear my smiter's merc much like any other (A2, fort, aura and weapon based on smiter's own preference for support) and he generally has no troubles living through
Tristram
(uber or normal for that matter).

___
If you want to add me on b.net, please message me here first. Random unexpected invites will be declined.

mhlg 1031

Americas PC
Dromar186 wrote: 4 weeks ago
Uber Tristram

Act 2 Might merc
Obedience
Kira's Guardian

Guardian Angel

Act 1 Cold merc
Mist
Kira's Guardian

Guardian Angel

Fade
Über Mephisto
Crown of Ages
Life Tap

Fade
Concentration

Only
Mephisto
kills my act2 merc, but if I can pipe him potion before he goes then he will generally make it. He survives
Mephisto
about 33.33% of the time, then he's good for both ubers
Baal
and Diablo and their minions right to the end.

Please post offer in item trade before adding me on Bnet

Necrarch 1823Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Schnorki for the right answers ! (Except he meant
Lilith
)

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus

TheDoo 336

Europe PC
Or you can use Act 5 Merc as he is mega tanky and with
Life Tap
+ his
Frenzy
available I really can't see how he can die fast (well if ignore the bs infamous one-hit from
Mephisto
which sometimes happen).

What I gathered from comments on this forum is that many people don't even bother healing Mercs with pots which I find very, very odd. I usually spend way more pots on Mercs than on myself (even more so I don't really run Ubers, did them several times but that's it) just speaking in general.

Ma neeeeeeema veeeeeeeze! xd

Someone much smarter than me already said once: "The real value of something doesn't reflect in a number of how much a seller is asking for it, but on how much a buyer is willing to pay for it."

Schnorki 3354Moderator

PC
Necrarch wrote: 3 weeks ago
Schnorki for the right answers ! (Except he meant
Lilith
)
She will always be uber
Andariel
to me. :P

___
If you want to add me on b.net, please message me here first. Random unexpected invites will be declined.

Necrarch 1823Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
TheDoo wrote: 3 weeks ago
Or you can use Act 5 Merc as he is mega tanky and with
Life Tap
+ his
Frenzy
available I really can't see how he can die fast (well if ignore the bs infamous one-hit from
Mephisto
which sometimes happen).

What I gathered from comments on this forum is that many people don't even bother healing Mercs with pots which I find very, very odd. I usually spend way more pots on Mercs than on myself (even more so I don't really run Ubers, did them several times but that's it) just speaking in general.
i definitely have my merc drinking more than myself his full rejuvs !

Annihilus
The Act 5
Frenzy
Merc is indeed tanky, and more-so if you equip him Sazabi's Set and a Lawbringer. Although the damage is somewhat meh, the 27% extra life, 15% lifesteal, 16% PDR, and 30% all-rez make him ridiculously tough. The Lawbringer's Santuary aura keeps all the Uber's summons off of the both of you. The only issue is
Decrepify
overwriting
Life Tap
, but overall, I find it a good trade-off for having to drink a few potions.

This Merc also provides excellent QOL in general play, as the 40% FRW helps him keep up. There is nothing like him scattering a Gloam pack, so you have time to get in there and thin them out.
Vaprrs wrote: 3 weeks ago
The Act 5
Frenzy
Merc is indeed tanky, and more-so if you equip him Sazabi's Set and a Lawbringer. Although the damage is somewhat meh, the 27% extra life, 15% lifesteal, 16% PDR, and 30% all-rez make him ridiculously tough. The Lawbringer's Santuary aura keeps all the Uber's summons off of the both of you. The only issue is
Decrepify
overwriting
Life Tap
, but overall, I find it a good trade-off for having to drink a few potions.

This Merc also provides excellent QOL in general play, as the 40% FRW helps him keep up. There is nothing like him scattering a Gloam pack, so you have time to get in there and thin them out.
Yeah, I'd also give the Act 5 Merc a shoutout for a candidate to survive Ubertristram. Act 5 is naturally very tanky, and has the fast attack-speed which lets it get the most from
Life Tap
-Also, if you use
Azurewrath
instead of Lawbringer you can get the
Sanctuary Aura
without the issue of
Decrepify
overwriting
Life Tap

Sazabi’s is a nice budget-option imo, but there are better options. For gear I’d suggest Chains of Honor and a
Cham
’ed
Arreat's Face
to overstack the resistance against Meph’s
Conviction
aura.

The interesting question is what to pick as the second weapon. That seems a lot less clear to me.
Azurewrath
has enough attack-speed to be used in main-hand so there are a lot of options for the second weapon:
- Grief /
Headstriker
for top damage.
- Crescent Moon for the static proc.
- Death for Crushing blow and Deadly strike.

Death is probably my favorite candidate here.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...