Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
16 replies   654 views

Description

Hello, I have a feeling that the drop rate of gems isn't entirely random because all types are roughly in the same quantity in my stash... everytime.

If i have all types except of Amethysts.. lets see what will drop next..
Amethyst
! Same observation for you?

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hello, I have a feeling that the drop rate of gems isn't entirely random because all types are roughly in the same quantity in my stash... everytime.

If i have all types except of Amethysts.. lets see what will drop next..
Amethyst
! Same observation for you?

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Not really, for myself, apart from skulls that seem more rare, others seem rather equally distributed.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
It is now known by some, via a YT video that I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post or not, that item drops in this game are not entirely random. The gems are almost certainly a part of this as well. The video is fascinating and certainly makes you wonder about a number of things. Basically, loot is part of a specific drop table that, if conditions and actions are exactly right, will always come up and drop you the same item, over and over.

Please note: this can only be done via Single Player Offline, as far as I know.

Bisu 369

PC
Bash wrote: 1 month ago
I have a feeling that the drop rate of gems isn't entirely random because all types are roughly in the same quantity in my stash... everytime.
I am not sure how your observation supports your hypothesis in this case.
OP
vectorViridian wrote: 1 month ago
It is now known by some, via a YT video that I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post or not, that item drops in this game are not entirely random. The gems are almost certainly a part of this as well. The video is fascinating and certainly makes you wonder about a number of things. Basically, loot is part of a specific drop table that, if conditions and actions are exactly right, will always come up and drop you the same item, over and over.

Please note: this can only be done via Single Player Offline, as far as I know.
I know what you mean, guaranteed for example
Ber
rune drop via lanch settings (seed param).
There are some mechanics behind the scene which are not random at all ..
OP
Necrarch wrote: 1 month ago
Not really, for myself, apart from skulls that seem more rare, others seem rather equally distributed.
Thats my point.. Why are they equally distributed? Why dont you get lets say 30% Diamonds? If theyre so random, why some gems arent superior to others?

1..100 | % {get-random -Minimum 1 -Maximum 7} |group |sort count

Count Name Group
----- ---- -----
13 1 {1, 1, 1, 1...}
13 2 {2, 2, 2, 2...}
16 4 {4, 4, 4, 4...}
17 6 {6, 6, 6, 6...}
18 5 {5, 5, 5, 5...}
23 3 {3, 3, 3, 3...}
let me do moo moo farm 20 times to see how many flawless can be collected
dx1000 wrote: 1 month ago
let me do moo moo farm 20 times to see how many flawless can be collected
You'd need a lot more than 20 runs. Probably closer to 200 before your results become reliable.

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.
Bash wrote: 1 month ago
Thats my point.. Why are they equally distributed? Why dont you get lets say 30% Diamonds? If theyre so random, why some gems arent superior to others?

1..100 | % {get-random -Minimum 1 -Maximum 7} |group |sort count

Count Name Group
----- ---- -----
13 1 {1, 1, 1, 1...}
13 2 {2, 2, 2, 2...}
16 4 {4, 4, 4, 4...}
17 6 {6, 6, 6, 6...}
18 5 {5, 5, 5, 5...}
23 3 {3, 3, 3, 3...}
100 iterations with 6 separate variables isn't a large enough sample size.

All trades can be accomplished via PC or xbox. All reasonable offers will be considered and probably accepted.
bit off topic, always have a
Flawless Amethyst
with you if you run into a gem shrine so it can become perfect, Gem shrines upgrade a gem in your inventory to next quality level, if you have no gems on you, it drops a random chipped gem. (do not work if you have it in the Cube)
Illusions wrote: 1 month ago
Flawless Amethyst
with you if you run into a gem shrine so it can become perfect, Gem shrines upgrade a gem in your inventory to next quality level, if you have no gems on you, it drops a random chipped gem. (do not work if you have it in the Cube)
And Gem Shrines has no icon šŸ˜“šŸ˜“
A few times i clicked on it by mistake before realizing it was a Gem Shrine, and gained just a chipped gem šŸ˜“šŸ˜“

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18-21), weekends (09-21)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion
Hence "always have", not "pay attention to shrines and in case of a Gem Shrine go back to town for a Flawless Gem".
Can
Perfect Gems
drop from regular monsters/uniques?

(i drop lots of Flawless, but can't remember dropping a Perfect one...)
(according to https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2-drop-calculator they can't drop...)

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18-21), weekends (09-21)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion

Necrarch 1606Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
No, only "drop" without cube is through gem shrine on a Flawless or
The Hellforge
quest.

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
Illusions wrote: 1 month ago
Flawless Amethyst
and make sure that gem is in your inventory and not in your cube (if you're the type who keeps their cube in their inventory).

result of moo moo farm 100 times as following:
1, no tz time,
2, three players in one game and all in the farm,
3, cleaned 99% monsters, sometimes may leave one or some more,
4, picked up 99% gems, sometimes maybe covered by some other items.

all the gems are flawless:
Amethyst
Diamond
Emerald
Ruby
Sapphire
Topaz
Skull
total-------414
Skulls are indeed rarer.

Look at treasureclassex.txt file. All the gems (rows 6-10; columns Item1 - Item10) have equal probability (columns Prob1 - Prob10) except the last one. Those with codes skc, skf, sku, skl, skz are skulls (as they are misc items, use misc.txt and column code to decipher them).

(By the way, the Perfect Gem treasure class is nowhere referenced (besides the definition), not in another treasure class, not directly in monstats.txt, so Necrarch's assertion that pgms do not drop is correct.)

So, with that expected ratios and actual data from dx1000 we can perform a statistical test (in R):

Code: Select all

> actual_freqs   = c(49, 55, 69, 67, 67, 67, 37)
> expected_freqs = c( 3,  3,  3,  3,  3,  3 , 2)
> chisq.test(actual_freqs, p=expected_freqs, rescale.p=TRUE)

Chi-squared test for given probabilities

data:  actual_freqs
X-squared = 5.9911, df = 6, p-value = 0.4242
Since the p-value is so large, greater than any commonly used significance level (even the most common 0.05), we fail to reject the null hypothesis (that drop rates are different).

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation