Question about drop chances

Example:
-
M'avina's Embrace

-
Leviathan

In my playing experience, I get M'avina's a lot lot lot more often than
Leviathan

Both are Kraken Shells, so the required monster level for dropping the base is the same for both.
But M'avina's qLvl is 21, and
Leviathan
's qLvl is 73.

Question is: Given a "
Kraken Shell
- drop-capable" monster killed, what is the factor the determines the drop odds for M'avina's and
Leviathan
?
Is is just a Set / Unique percentage distribution? Or is also a qLvl factor? If so, how is qLvl determined ? Is is static forever, or based on a kill event?

I admit I only have a partial knowledge of overall drop logic based on TClasses and monster / area levels

Thanks
Description by YugoHell

Can be used to make Runewords:

Question about drop chances

Example:
-
M'avina's Embrace

-
Leviathan

In my playing experience, I get M'avina's a lot lot lot more often than
Leviathan

Both are Kraken Shells, so the required monster level for dropping the base is the same for both.
But M'avina's qLvl is 21, and
Leviathan
's qLvl is 73.

Question is: Given a "
Kraken Shell
- drop-capable" monster killed, what is the factor the determines the drop odds for M'avina's and
Leviathan
?
Is is just a Set / Unique percentage distribution? Or is also a qLvl factor? If so, how is qLvl determined ? Is is static forever, or based on a kill event?

I admit I only have a partial knowledge of overall drop logic based on TClasses and monster / area levels

Thanks

If you would like to make an offer, please add me in bnet and comment in thread with the offer. Thank you.
Errata (2024-08-30 10:35): It is Treasure Class (and not qLvl) that limits monster/chest level that can drop a item
(in the case both
M'avina's Embrace
Leviathan
and
Kraken Shell
have Treasure Class 81)

----

From what I remember 🤔 ... for a item have a chance to drop (beside other factors) the monster/chest level most be >= qLvl of the item, so only monster/chest L73 or more may drop
Leviathan

And once the game chooses the item that will drop (in the case
Kraken Shell
), when it determine the quality of the item, Unique has less change than Set.
chances: Normal > Magic > Rare > Set > Unique

So if monster/chest is L72- you have no chance to get
Leviathan

if monster/chest is L73, you have more chance to get
M'avina's Embrace
than
Leviathan

https://maxroll.gg/d2/items/base-items

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18:00-21:00), weekends (09:00 - 21:00)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion
On the same vibe... since I started to keep a tracking

I dropped
Immortal King's Stone Crusher
Ogre Maul

Windhammer
Ogre Maul

almost twice more the Set version...

(2
M'avina's Embrace
and 0
Leviathan
...)

OP
fredkid wrote: 2 weeks ago
From what I remember 🤔 ... for a item have a chance to drop (beside other factors) the monster/chest level most be >= qLvl of the item, so only monster/chest L73 or more may drop
Leviathan

Kraken Shell

Leviathan

M'avina's Embrace
than
Leviathan

What confuses me is that the base TC for dropping any
Kraken Shell
is TC 81, so M'avina's and
Leviathan
's qLevels are lower than their base item's level, so it leads me to think that any
Kraken Shell
dropping monster can drop either M'avina's or
Leviathan
. And other factor is responsible for Set / Unique choice odds.

Am I talking nonsense?

PS: I am talking about odds for a normal / champion monster who has levels and TC classes fixed by area. Not talking about bosses who has fixed Monster and TC levels.

BTW, if a chance for choosing Set is minimal but twice as the chance of unique, the drop odds for your
Ogre Maul
case make sense!

If you would like to make an offer, please add me in bnet and comment in thread with the offer. Thank you.
I think made a big confusion... 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
It is Treasure class (not Quality Level) that limits monster/chest level that can drop a item (that's why very few non-TZ monsters may drop
Griffon's Eye
- Treasure class: 87 Quality level: 84)

(but the part that "Set quality" have more chance to happen than "Unique Quality" is right 👍👍)

Really don't know what is the purpose of Quality level on Unique/Set item... 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

On Magic/Rare/Craft, Quality level (together with ilvl and "Magic Level") determine the max alvl of the affixes (OK)

OP

Really don't know what is the purpose of Quality level on Unique/Set item... 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔
I remember the case of very specific items like
Arachnid Mesh
where the item's qLvl (87) is greater than its TC (63), so only monsters with level 87 or higher can drop Arachnid. In this case qLvl plays a role.

Seems like max between qLvl and TC is used to cap the monster/chest level 🤔
YugoHell wrote: 2 weeks ago

I remember the case of very specific items like
Arachnid Mesh
where the item's qLvl (87) is greater than its TC (63), so any monster with level 87 or higher can drop Arachnid. In this case qLvl plays a role.

I had a question. An additional restriction on unique item drop chances is that each unique can drop only once per game session/reset. If the same unique tries to drop again, it will create a “failed unique” (a rare item with triple durability). How does this work when there are multiple uniques for the same base?

Say a group or monsters are high enough lvl and TC to drop both
Tyrael
’s Might and Templar’s Might. Say that each monster has a 1 in 1000 chance to drop a unique
Sacred Armor
. So each monster has a 4 in 5000 chance to drop a Templar’s Might and a 1 in 5000 chance to drop a
Tyrael
’s Might, since (I’ve heard that) 4 in 5 unique Sacred armors will be Templar’s Might when the monster that dropped it was high enough lvl to also be capable of dropping a
Tyrael
’s Might.

Say now that you kill one of these monsters and it drops a Templar’s Might. Do the remaining monsters now have a 1 in 1000 chance to drop a
Tyrael
’s Might, a 5X increase, or does each monster now have a 4 in 5000 chance to drop a failed unique
Sacred Armor
and an (unchanged) 1 in 5000 chance to drop a
Tyrael
’s Might? I imagine it’s the latter, but I’m not sure…

Besides the above example, this question could have significant practical applications any time you get a unqiue ring or amulet to drop and it’s one of the trashy and common ones.
Not sure if that restriction still exits on D2R 🤔
But Set items I already dropped the same item twice on the same boss one time (if I remembered correctly was
Isenhart's Case
...)

Errata (2024-08-30 10:35): It is Treasure Class (and not qLvl) that limits monster/chest level that can drop a item
(in the case both
M'avina's Embrace
Leviathan
and
Kraken Shell
have Treasure Class 81)

----

Leviathan

Kraken Shell

Leviathan

M'avina's Embrace
than
Leviathan

IIRC, the way it works is that the game takes rolls in descending order of quality (from unique to magic for what we care about (normal, socketed, superior, etc. come afterwards)) to determine what the item will be, affected by your Magic Find with inversely proportional effectiveness. That is, it first rolls to see if the item is Unique with heavily decreased Magic Find, then Set with greater effect, and so on. So I think that's why you end up having a greater chance to get a set item than a unique, for example.

I made a little spreadsheet to keep track of this for myself (and to know where I am in the horrible uniques diminishing returns curve).
Not sure if that restriction still exits on D2R 🤔
But Set items I already dropped the same item twice on the same boss one time (if I remembered correctly was
Isenhart's Case
...)
The restriction that a unique can only drop once per game DOES still exist in D2R, I’ve seen it happen and result in failed uniques.

In 2000, before LoD, there was a restriction that a unique item couldn’t drop if it already existed in game. That was taken away a long time ago due to how lame it was, but it allowed players to produce an SoJ with just like 1 million gold by gambling while having a
Manald Heal
and
Nagelring
but no SoJ. Odds of getting a unique when gambling were also insanely higher, like 1 in 30. But I digress…

This digression does raise an interesting question though: does finding a unique ring that is NOT an SoJ increase your chances of gambling an SoJ within the same game? I think odds of gambling a unique are supposed to be fixed at 1 in 2000. Say I’m sitting on 10 million gold that I want to gamble on rings and then I find a
Nagelring
. Should I run to
Gheed
within the samw game I found the
Nagelring
and gamble rings because the chances of gambling an SoJ has now increased by like 25%?
Curiously enough, for the same period of time playing D2R online non-ladder single player games only (multiple characters) I managed to find 2x
M'avina's Embrace
and 3x
Leviathan
. Go figure...

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...