diablo2.io is supported by ads
54 replies   16862 views

Manic Pixie Dreamgirl: An Alternative Endgame Hireling

No data yet

Description

Introduction

Greiz
, the Lut Golein Mercenary boss must be the wealthiest NPC in all of Diablo, because just about every hero across the realms keeps on paying him vast sums of Gold to constantly hire/resurrect his mercs.

They are very good mercs to be fair, straight up indispensible to certain builds, but they're not exactly exciting.

This here thread serves to showcase an alternative type of hireling certain builds may wish to try out for both fun and profit, which I dub: the Manic Pixie Dreamgirl.

What is it?

The Manic Pixie Dreamgirl hireling (MPD for short) is an Act I rogue built around the Delirium Runeword, which usually only ever sees play amongst Druids.

Delirium comes with an 11% chances to cast level 18
Confuse
(i.e. 15.3 ft radius) on striking, and the MPD's primary point is to proc this curse frequently for truly marvelous battlefield control with all the enemies on screen turning on each other, making them sitting ducks.

Compared to the standard Act II merc, it is a completely different play experience to have an MPD back you up, where it actually feels like the Hireling is adding something to the proceedings, rather than just making some of your own numbers bigger.

Also, when she turns into a
Bone Fetish
MPD actually keeps on firing
Arrows
and it's funny as hell to watch.

What do I need to get an MPD?

First and foremost, you need a Delirium (
Lem
Ist
Io
) helmet, which is equipable as early as level 51, assuming the base is a 3os
Diadem
(i.e. no str req).

If not going for a
Diadem
, the
Demonhead
has the lowest Str requirement at 102 (
Bone Visage
is the only viable alternative at 106).

To support the Delirium core mechanic, 2 things are needed on the MPD: Improved Attack Speed and Life Leech.

Breath of the Dying (
Vex
Hel
El
Eld
Zod
Eth
) comes with both a whooping 60% IAS and 12-15% LL, along with a litany of other great mods (30 all attributes, prevent heal, 300-400 ED, etc.)

One pricier alternative would be Ice (
Amn
Shael
Jah
Lo
), which only has 20% IAS and 7% LL, but comes with a level 18 (read, 20 with Delirium)
Holy Freeze
aura as well as some other goodies.

BotD will neccessitate a
Crusader Bow
or
Hydra Bow
base, whilst Ice can be made in the faster
Great Bow
or
Blade Bow
, potentially letting you hit a higher IAS breakpoint in total, which may balance out the lower LL.

For the chest slot, the ever popular
Archon Plate
Treachery (
Shael
Thul
Lem
) is a very solid choice here with it's 45% IAS, 20% FHR, and of course it's
Fade
(and Venom) proc that combines beautifully with Delrium's procs.

With a BotD in a
Crusader Bow
, this will get you to the 10 frame breakpoint, whilst with Ice in
Great Bow
it gets you down to 9 Frames.

The pricier altnerative here would be a Chains of Honor (
Dol
Um
Ber
Ist
), covering resistances and granting another 8% LL and 8% DR, but no IAS (i.e. 11 frames on Ice, and BotD).

Edit: As a super-budget option, Edge (
Tir
Tal
Amn
) reaches the 9 fps breakpoint with Treachery, but only has about a third or fifth the DPS/surviveability of the main two options, which combined with the bad scaling on
Thorns
relegates it to being viable in Nightmare only.

As a sample, here is the stats on a level 92 Act 1 Normal Rogue with BotD and Treachery.
Surely, this has been done before?

Whilst I've found the odd reference to putting Delirium on a rogue, there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive guide on this best I can find.

Also, don't call me Shirley.

Does MPD work for my build?

MPD works for any character that doesn't already rely on curses (i.e. some Necros) or absolutely need their Act II Merc to provide them with
Meditation
or
Conviction
aura (i.e. some Sorcs).

She pairs beautifully with most Paladins, especially Zealots but also Hammerdins, Trapsins and most physical damage dealers.

How is MPD's surviability?

Actually better than most Act II mercs best I can tell, especially when given a BO boost to health.

Unlike Act II Mercs, MPDs will actually aim to not walk into deathtraps first chance they get, and at the 10 FPS breakpoint (i.e. 2.5 attacks per second), she'll proc her11% chance Confusion in less than 5 seconds once she starts firing, and even then her defensive procs tend to take care of her attackers rather efficiently (also its a plus when
Fade
procs ofc).

Based on my own tests, MPD can handle Hell Cows,
Baal
Runs, Pindle Runs and most other common farming routes without issue, with the exception being
Travincal
. The combo of
Hydra
and Curses wreck MPD same as any merc, maybe worse.

Does MPD shine anywhere?
Other than making Cow farming even more of a breeze than it already is (pictured above), I have found MPD actully improves play in 3
Key
areas where Hirelings generally don't contribute.

1. Nihlatak runs: Over the course of 100 runs, MPD died exactly once from accidentally teleporting in right on top of a CE whilst cursed. On all other runs, she never needed healing and actually helped greatly by regularly procing Confusion on cursed rooms full of of Vipers and Chargers that would otherwise have been a headache to deal with.

2. Mini Ubers: With MPD, the
Furnace of Pain
was even easier than usual, and while the mobs in
Matron's Den
usually murdered my Act II merc frequently and were a headache to Hammer to Death, MPD's presence made getting to Uber
Andariel
trivial whist she never got close to dying. Certainly won't be red-portaling without an MPD ever again.

Uber Tristram
: MPD largely trivialises the nuisance that is the mobs spawned by the big 3. She's not remotely as untouchable here as she is in the lesser uber dungeons, but that bit of breathing room to hit a
Life Tap
and start Smiting away really makes the whole ride a lot smoother.

Okay, this sounds pretty sweet, but I'm not sure it's for me

Using the afforable options, you can make your own MPD for the price of a
Vex
Zod
Ist
, 2 Lems and some change for the other runes and bases. So like 10 Ists and change total.

Give it a try and watch in amazement as your Manic Pixie Dream girl completely changes your play experience.
Description by BahamutPrime

Can be used to make Runewords:

Introduction

Greiz
, the Lut Golein Mercenary boss must be the wealthiest NPC in all of Diablo, because just about every hero across the realms keeps on paying him vast sums of Gold to constantly hire/resurrect his mercs.

They are very good mercs to be fair, straight up indispensible to certain builds, but they're not exactly exciting.

This here thread serves to showcase an alternative type of hireling certain builds may wish to try out for both fun and profit, which I dub: the Manic Pixie Dreamgirl.

What is it?

The Manic Pixie Dreamgirl hireling (MPD for short) is an Act I rogue built around the Delirium Runeword, which usually only ever sees play amongst Druids.

Delirium comes with an 11% chances to cast level 18
Confuse
(i.e. 15.3 ft radius) on striking, and the MPD's primary point is to proc this curse frequently for truly marvelous battlefield control with all the enemies on screen turning on each other, making them sitting ducks.

Compared to the standard Act II merc, it is a completely different play experience to have an MPD back you up, where it actually feels like the Hireling is adding something to the proceedings, rather than just making some of your own numbers bigger.

Also, when she turns into a
Bone Fetish
MPD actually keeps on firing
Arrows
and it's funny as hell to watch.

What do I need to get an MPD?

First and foremost, you need a Delirium (
Lem
Ist
Io
) helmet, which is equipable as early as level 51, assuming the base is a 3os
Diadem
(i.e. no str req).

If not going for a
Diadem
, the
Demonhead
has the lowest Str requirement at 102 (
Bone Visage
is the only viable alternative at 106).

To support the Delirium core mechanic, 2 things are needed on the MPD: Improved Attack Speed and Life Leech.

Breath of the Dying (
Vex
Hel
El
Eld
Zod
Eth
) comes with both a whooping 60% IAS and 12-15% LL, along with a litany of other great mods (30 all attributes, prevent heal, 300-400 ED, etc.)

One pricier alternative would be Ice (
Amn
Shael
Jah
Lo
), which only has 20% IAS and 7% LL, but comes with a level 18 (read, 20 with Delirium)
Holy Freeze
aura as well as some other goodies.

BotD will neccessitate a
Crusader Bow
or
Hydra Bow
base, whilst Ice can be made in the faster
Great Bow
or
Blade Bow
, potentially letting you hit a higher IAS breakpoint in total, which may balance out the lower LL.

For the chest slot, the ever popular
Archon Plate
Treachery (
Shael
Thul
Lem
) is a very solid choice here with it's 45% IAS, 20% FHR, and of course it's
Fade
(and Venom) proc that combines beautifully with Delrium's procs.

With a BotD in a
Crusader Bow
, this will get you to the 10 frame breakpoint, whilst with Ice in
Great Bow
it gets you down to 9 Frames.

The pricier altnerative here would be a Chains of Honor (
Dol
Um
Ber
Ist
), covering resistances and granting another 8% LL and 8% DR, but no IAS (i.e. 11 frames on Ice, and BotD).

Edit: As a super-budget option, Edge (
Tir
Tal
Amn
) reaches the 9 fps breakpoint with Treachery, but only has about a third or fifth the DPS/surviveability of the main two options, which combined with the bad scaling on
Thorns
relegates it to being viable in Nightmare only.

As a sample, here is the stats on a level 92 Act 1 Normal Rogue with BotD and Treachery.
Surely, this has been done before?

Whilst I've found the odd reference to putting Delirium on a rogue, there doesn't seem to be a comprehensive guide on this best I can find.

Also, don't call me Shirley.

Does MPD work for my build?

MPD works for any character that doesn't already rely on curses (i.e. some Necros) or absolutely need their Act II Merc to provide them with
Meditation
or
Conviction
aura (i.e. some Sorcs).

She pairs beautifully with most Paladins, especially Zealots but also Hammerdins, Trapsins and most physical damage dealers.

How is MPD's surviability?

Actually better than most Act II mercs best I can tell, especially when given a BO boost to health.

Unlike Act II Mercs, MPDs will actually aim to not walk into deathtraps first chance they get, and at the 10 FPS breakpoint (i.e. 2.5 attacks per second), she'll proc her11% chance Confusion in less than 5 seconds once she starts firing, and even then her defensive procs tend to take care of her attackers rather efficiently (also its a plus when
Fade
procs ofc).

Based on my own tests, MPD can handle Hell Cows,
Baal
Runs, Pindle Runs and most other common farming routes without issue, with the exception being
Travincal
. The combo of
Hydra
and Curses wreck MPD same as any merc, maybe worse.

Does MPD shine anywhere?
Other than making Cow farming even more of a breeze than it already is (pictured above), I have found MPD actully improves play in 3
Key
areas where Hirelings generally don't contribute.

1. Nihlatak runs: Over the course of 100 runs, MPD died exactly once from accidentally teleporting in right on top of a CE whilst cursed. On all other runs, she never needed healing and actually helped greatly by regularly procing Confusion on cursed rooms full of of Vipers and Chargers that would otherwise have been a headache to deal with.

2. Mini Ubers: With MPD, the
Furnace of Pain
was even easier than usual, and while the mobs in
Matron's Den
usually murdered my Act II merc frequently and were a headache to Hammer to Death, MPD's presence made getting to Uber
Andariel
trivial whist she never got close to dying. Certainly won't be red-portaling without an MPD ever again.

Uber Tristram
: MPD largely trivialises the nuisance that is the mobs spawned by the big 3. She's not remotely as untouchable here as she is in the lesser uber dungeons, but that bit of breathing room to hit a
Life Tap
and start Smiting away really makes the whole ride a lot smoother.

Okay, this sounds pretty sweet, but I'm not sure it's for me

Using the afforable options, you can make your own MPD for the price of a
Vex
Zod
Ist
, 2 Lems and some change for the other runes and bases. So like 10 Ists and change total.

Give it a try and watch in amazement as your Manic Pixie Dream girl completely changes your play experience.

BillyMaysed 2185Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Thanks for the guide, very detailed. Although with 2.4 dropping and buffing/changing the A1 merc as well as runewords this will probably need updating.

OP
BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
Thanks for the guide, very detailed. Although with 2.4 dropping and buffing/changing the A1 merc as well as runewords this will probably need updating.
I shall do my utmost to remember to give it another look post 2.4

Teebling 5806Admin

Europe PC
Although with 2.4 dropping and buffing/changing the A1 merc as well as runewords this will probably need updating.
If anything this will be a huge buff to all Act 1 merc builds from what they were saying on the stream today!

Sorceress Americas PC
Teebling wrote: 2 years ago
If anything this will be a huge buff to all Act 1 merc builds from what they were saying on the stream today!
I sure hope so. I already love using the A1 merc so her getting a buff is super sweet to me. But what if they add/change runewords up for her or re-design how she works or something is what i meant. I doubt itll be a straight buff and nothing else.

Real curious what exactly this means and how good they'll be.
Blizzard wrote:
Act I new ranged skills with aoe damage effectiveness

OP
Real curious what exactly this means and how good they'll be.
Blizzard wrote:
Act I new ranged skills with aoe damage effectiveness
Mayhaps this'll be the dawn of a new age of MPD Act I Hireling supremacy. XD

Invest now in your own MPD before prices skyrocket! :P
Nice to see more alternatives to the A2 Aura soldiers as mercs. I'm just waiting and crossing my fingers for the A5 hireling to be buffed into relevance eventually.
I've been looking for something else to try and back in the day I used to hear about
Wand
-a-zon's that were pure melee
Wand
using zon's. I'm remaking mine and upgrading it to be an "immune-to-everything-wifflebat". The act 2 mercs didn't feel great and didn't sit with the play style, so been using an act 1 merc with a Harmony
Blade Bow
for more speed and a way to deal with phys immunes slightly faster. I think MPD is great and the more "outside of the box" thinkers we can get means more fun and wierdness happening.

How well does Fanatacism scale with MPD's abilities? Can you get to the 10fps with different gear? Can you get to 9fps?

I play this game, not because I'm good, but because I'm stubborn.
Also I play a wearbear amazon because I like punching things.
I grunt in your general direction good sir.
OP
Nathalanti wrote: 2 years ago
How well does Fanatacism scale with MPD's abilities? Can you get to the 10fps with different gear? Can you get to 9fps?
Getting to 9 FPS can be done with just gear via the Ice + Treachery gets you 9 fps as the Greatbow or
Blade Bow
as it's faster -10 speed with 65 IAS total hits that breakpoint.

If you're adding external
Fanaticism
you end up with a lot of wiggle room on the fps.

A level 1
Fanaticism
gets the BotD + Treachery to 9 fps. At level 4 it gets both the Ice + Treachery and BotD + Treachery to 8 fps (3.13 hits per second)

If you went with the slowest option of BotD + CoH for max LL (i.e 23%), you'd need a level 27
Fanaticism
to get it to 8 FPS.

For that investment you'd get 4095 DPS due to
Fanaticism
, that means MPD would heal 941 HP per second, i.e. probably the most surviveability you can get out of an MPD

Sorceress Americas PC
halflife wrote: 2 years ago
Nice to see more alternatives to the A2 Aura soldiers as mercs. I'm just waiting and crossing my fingers for the A5 hireling to be buffed into relevance eventually.
The new merc changes almost has me more excited than the class skill changes lol. A1 merc getting buffed + AOE, A3 merc getting buffed + New spells and A5 getting buffed +
Battle Cry
. I'm hoping they also do things like open up their weapon pools for more choices.

They also said some of the new runewords were designed specifically with A1,3 & 5 mercs in mind.

Deleted User 632 0

nice guide @BahamutPrime. this guide for mercenaries also uses Delirium on rogue Extensive Mercenary Builds Guide
OP
Udyret wrote: 2 years ago
nice guide @BahamutPrime. this guide for mercenaries also uses Delirium on rogue Extensive Mercenary Builds Guide
Interesting that, thanks for linking. :)

It does have the Ice / Treachery version in there, although it doesn't go into breakpoints, bases, level reqs, hitting enough LL, or most viable alternatives (e.g BotD, CoH), and I actually disagree that Wrath,
Riphook
or Witchwild are suitable options.

You do NOT want competing CtC% curses on there beyond that Delirum comes packaged with, it's decidedly counterproductive I think.

The barb version with Delirum and knockback might deserve a look after the 2.4 barb upgrades.

Deleted User 632 0

Edge could be interesting too. if blizzard boost
Thorns
damage in the balance patch.
OP
Udyret wrote: 2 years ago
Edge could be interesting too. if blizzard boost
Thorns
damage in the balance patch.
It would have to be a pretty sizeable boost.

Comparing Edge and Ice, both reach 9 fps with Treachery, but using lvl 92 baseline, the difference in dps is night and day, i.e. 417 on Edge in a
Great Bow
vs 2181 on Ice, which does not even incl the 30% cold damage boost on Ice
Arrows

For reference, BotD sits in the middle with 1369, but with 15 LL vs 7 LL on the two others, it comes out on top with surviveability.

If 2.4 gives MPD a good AoE cold attack Ice will become even better, so I don't see Edge beating it out, but with enough of a boost it might at least get in the same league as BotD damage wise.

Either case though, whilst I don't think Edge will work in Hell as is, I think it might actually make for an acceptable budget option on an MPD if one wanted to use one whilst leveling through Nightmare.
Hands down, the best bow is a Harmony in a
Great Bow
if you're using a Javazon and primarily running cows. There's no comparison.

Might be better than any merc, even Infinity, for cows.
Why Ebotd over say
Windforce
? Thought WF had more damage output. Even with just an
Amn
for LL. I might have to make this now...

Xbox GT: Cinomed541 add me if you need someone to play with.

Droid 12

Druid Europe PC
I did it! It turned out beatifully. And quite a good roll on the BOTD as well (392ed/15ll).

No trading via PM please ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Looking for
Perfect Amethyst
too (5 PA =
Lem
)

Necrarch 1584Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Hey ! With 2.4 now out for some time, was wondering if one @BahamutPrime or anyone else had some feedback on MPD ?

A buddy of mine runs happily a budget version (Edge in
Diamond Bow
/ Treachery / Delirium in Great
Crown
), with improvement on a1 merc + the ability to use Zon bows what would be an improvement ?
Thanks !

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL

Necrarch 1584Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
Additional question : As I found a
Lycander's Aim
, if I up it and
Amn
it, that could be a good budget alternative, right ?

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash and my crafts including my caster belts :), and my many cheap
Annihilus
/ Accepting payment in L or NL currency though I only play NL
Necrarch wrote: 1 year ago
Additional question : As I found a
Lycander's Aim
, if I up it and
Amn
it, that could be a good budget alternative, right ?
Edge in a high speed base is better because you want more hit => more
Confuse
proc.
Edge already has LL, no need to socket with Laruk quest.

Relax and have fun!

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation