Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
21 replies   19060 views

Description

Hi all,

I have a question about an Infinity base. I almost have all the runes I need for my first Infinity! As you can imagine, it's been a long time coming — but now I need to figure out the base.

I currently have an
Eth
4 OS CV but I hear that most people like the
Thresher
. The problem is that 4OS
Eth
threshers are selling for like a
Vex
or something right now, and that's really discouraging because it feels like it will take me forever to get one. I'm not worried about the +str requirement on the CV since my merc is currently using one and I'm not really worried about resale value since I doubt I'll ever part with it.

So I need some advice. What are the real pros to a
Thresher
over a CV and should I try and hold out for one? Or just make it in my CV base?

Thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Description by BillyMaysed

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hi all,

I have a question about an Infinity base. I almost have all the runes I need for my first Infinity! As you can imagine, it's been a long time coming — but now I need to figure out the base.

I currently have an
Eth
4 OS CV but I hear that most people like the
Thresher
. The problem is that 4OS
Eth
threshers are selling for like a
Vex
or something right now, and that's really discouraging because it feels like it will take me forever to get one. I'm not worried about the +str requirement on the CV since my merc is currently using one and I'm not really worried about resale value since I doubt I'll ever part with it.

So I need some advice. What are the real pros to a
Thresher
over a CV and should I try and hold out for one? Or just make it in my CV base?

Thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Answeredby Haippari2 years agoGo to post
Thresher and Giant Thresher have the fastest speed and are considered the best type of polearm for infinity. But they can get pricy. Colossus Voulge is the easiest to get because it rolls with max 4 sockets. If you care about reaching ias breakpoints get either Thresher. Expensive runes are wasted on mediocre polearms..

You can check the stats (and the minor damage differences) from http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/it ... arms.shtml

Thresher (either one) with Andariel's Visage with 15% ias jewel (15%ias/30%fire resist is optimal) and Treachery armor will just reach 4.54 attacks per second, which is pretty sweet for a weapon with 40% crushing blow.

On a personal note, i'm finishing up on the runes needed for Infinity myself and will be using (or buying) a Thresher (not Giant) for finishing it.

EDIT: Your CV with same gear would reach 3.84 attacks per second.

I offer Uber Service, Rush Service and have many items for sale, Add me on battle.net | Hoost07#1211

Fen 92

Amazon Europe PC
The
Thresher
seems to have a faster attack speed + lower req. for the Merc. Can't see any other pro, it has less dmg tho.

Prices are negotiable :)
Please DO NOT add me, before I accepted a trade or without comment, thanks! :)
Offers via pm will be ignored.

Banjo 138

Sorceress Americas PC
i believe the big thing is attack speed with
Thresher
v cv. i could be wrong, but i believe that is the major difference. also grats on getting close to your Infinity. I am also getting close and am pretty stoked.

However, when it comes to Infinity the big thing is that aura and the minus to resistance that makes is awesome, along with some of the other awesome bonuses that it provides. id say if you really dont wanna wait to acquire a
Vex
than go for it, it probably wont make that much of difference.
Thresher
and
Giant Thresher
have the fastest speed and are considered the best type of polearm for Infinity. But they can get pricy.
Colossus Voulge
is the easiest to get because it rolls with max 4 sockets. If you care about reaching ias breakpoints get either
Thresher
. Expensive runes are wasted on mediocre polearms..

You can check the stats (and the minor damage differences) from http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/it ... arms.shtml

Thresher
(either one) with
Andariel's Visage
with 15% ias jewel (15%ias/30%fire resist is optimal) and Treachery armor will just reach 4.54 attacks per second, which is pretty sweet for a weapon with 40% crushing blow.

On a personal note, i'm finishing up on the runes needed for Infinity myself and will be using (or buying) a
Thresher
(not Giant) for finishing it.

EDIT: Your CV with same gear would reach 3.84 attacks per second.
This post was marked as the best answer.
Considering the runes used, I would do
Thresher
for IAS focus which helps with leech, damage, and overall survivability.

I am still waiting for a second
Ber
rune before I make mine. Just looking for the right cow to finish the search.
Under optimal conditions (Attack Speed etc.) a
Great Poleaxe
does the most damage.
Calculated with Weapon, Andariels and Treachery or Fortitude.

But, a
Thresher
always gets 4 sockets in the socket quest, so if you find an Ethereal with 0 Sockets, you have your base item for free.
Edit: 5 Sockets, info was wrong

In my opinion, it's all just theory anyway, because Infinity can roll with bad ED (it was like that for me, for example),
but on the other hand, you wipe out everything with Infinity before the Hireling comes to the opponent (yes, there are a few exceptions ... ).
I made mine in
Thresher
and it make sense, the faster the attack speed, the faster you life leech back hence better survivability for your merch

Asha 334

Sorceress Europe PC
I personally prefer gpa - even if it's just a bit slower than
Thresher
. More consistent dmg makes up for speed - and it even looks more solid. Hell, it's even 63 lvl - exactly for
Ber
🙂
Bought 4os
Eth
one for
Vex
a couple of days ago - and i don't regret it one bit.

Update: finally got this beauty 🙂
OP
Update: I decided to buy an
Eth
Thresher
and try the cube recipe for sockets since this was a cheaper option.

This is how that went. Pain.

I offer Uber Service, Rush Service and have many items for sale, Add me on battle.net | Hoost07#1211
Wait for
Thresher
. Infinity has 40% CB so you're losing more than just the IAS dmg by using a CV, especially for boss kills. And considering you're spending like 8
Vex
easily on this, might as well pay one more
Vex
to get a better weapon with a better resale value.
4 OS
Eth
CV is honestly fine. Most people will skip on it because of its high strength requirement and low resale value. You mentioned you have enough strength and don't care about resale value. It has about the same average damage output as a
Thresher
. ~90 damage per hit on
Colossus Voulge
, ~90.5 on
Thresher
(these may be non-ethereal numbers, I can't remember). The IAS is slower, true, but unless you are using it to specifically kill bosses that your character can't kill, it only means you lifesteal slower on your merc (40% CB doesn't matter most of the time because your character will demolish most bosses before your merc's hits do anything). Many seasoned D2 players have
Eth
CV Infinitys, they use them because any time they find better bases they trade those bases for more value. The only real reason to not use a 4OS
Eth
CV is if you really feel like you will regret putting your 2
Ber
Mal
, and
Ist
runes in there. Most people feel this is a waste. But you don't have to.
Banjo wrote: 2 years ago
However, when it comes to Infinity the big thing is that aura and the minus to resistance that makes is awesome, along with some of the other awesome bonuses that it provides.
It is mainly aura and crushing blow. -%resistance does not apply to player attacks.

I would recommend
Thresher
/
Giant Thresher
base but in the end - if you are not strictly biased by resale value, any elitte ethereal Polearm will work and any base picking is mostly min-maxing. For ethereal
Colossus Voulge
, you'll need to use
Andariel's Visage
for its strength bonus (not bad thing) which should be then
Ral
'd (-30% fire resistance otherwise).

The sooner you'll have your Infinity, the sooner you will be able to benefit from it. Holding the runes does no good to you.
Cryptography wrote: 2 years ago
However, when it comes to Infinity the big thing is that aura and the minus to resistance that makes is awesome, along with some of the other awesome bonuses that it provides.
It is mainly aura and crushing blow. -%resistance does not apply to player attacks.

I would recommend
Thresher
/
Giant Thresher
base but in the end - if you are not strictly biased by resale value, any elitte ethereal Polearm will work and any base picking is mostly min-maxing. For ethereal
Colossus Voulge
, you'll need to use
Andariel's Visage
Ral

The sooner you'll have your Infinity, the sooner you will be able to benefit from it. Holding the runes does no good to you.
This is a very good point about time = money, although at the point you're making an Infinity, a
Vex
shouldn't feel like a big deal...
Bounder wrote: 2 years ago
Cryptography wrote: 2 years ago

I would recommend
Thresher
/
Giant Thresher
Colossus Voulge
, you'll need to use
Andariel's Visage
Ral

This is a very good point about time = money, although at the point you're making an Infinity, a
Vex
shouldn't feel like a big deal...
It depends. Some ten or more years ago, very little part of playerbase paid attention to Infinity base. CV was most popular choice due to ease of acquiring and it hardly made difference - people could still clear game in minutes time.

That small bonus in attack speed may or may not matter and it is often subjective. I would probably make it in
Thresher
, too, but only because I personally have issue with making that stuff into less than best possible bases. I'd probably chase 15/3 base as well though benefit from it is negligible.

Asha 334

Sorceress Europe PC
Btw - made some calculations to compare dps for all 5 bases. Took 300% ed and 80% ias setup. Interesting results:
1) GPA leads - about 2155 average dps, 4,14aps
2)
Cryptic Axe
- 2104 and 3,84aps;
3)
Giant Thresher
- 2097 and 4,54;
4)
Thresher
- 2079 and 4,54;
5) CV - 1989. Definitely crappiest - dmg identical to GPA, but 3,84aps... meh.

As I suspected earlier - consistency in this case is slightly better than 0,5fpa. The rest is personal choice tho.
for
Eth
CV (200 str req) I just use a
Crown of Thieves
with an
Amethyst
for STR :)
Hoost07 wrote: 2 years ago
Update: I decided to buy an
Eth
Thresher
and try the cube recipe for sockets since this was a cheaper option.

This is how that went. Pain.

Screenshot002.png
Just cubed a 5 soc EThresher :(
Damage calculations for both normal and
Jab
attacks according to maxroll.gg
Mercenary is wearing Ethereal
Andariel's Visage
socketed with 15% Increased Attack Speed Jewel and Treachery in Ethereal
Archon Plate

Note! Higher attacks per second not only increase raw damage from skill but also increase successful Crushing Blow procs and leech life.

Colossus Voulge
Cryptic Axe
Giant Thresher
Great Poleaxe
Thresher
I like
Cryptic Axe
due to its lower str requirements, allowing me to swap it around more easily. In the end you want it mostly for its
Conviction
aura.

I got the ethereal CB, but sometimes it hits too hard, which is a pain when you are farming Nillitak and your merc allows him to transform the surroundings into a mine field even if you got
Nature's Peace

Now between CB and
Thresher
Thresher
is a little better IMO

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector
here is another option :)

cheapest base there is.

and look at that sweet
Cyclone Armor

then you can use an Insight/
Prayer
merc to keep your engery shield and life up.

this runeword is too expensive for Kasim to hold imo and the -50 light res is in the right hands.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...