Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
1 reply   1912 views

Description

Just as I was getting into my online melee sorc, Blizzard re-capped IAS. I'm not even sure how much this impacts my build, but I didn't bother to update my game client and have been playing offline since.

This brought me back to the old days of character editors, and then game file modding. Back in the day I'd give myself a billion DPS and it would be fun for all of about five minutes, but then I'd quickly get bored and quit. That whole experience kind of taught me that restrictions and limitations bring fun. There has to be the right framework in place to have fun with.

Turns out D2R really does re-use most of the legacy codebase, and game file editing guides from 20 years ago still work and apply to D2R. It looks like there have been some small modifications to the game's database and such, but for the most part I've been able to mod my offline game files and had a lot of fun with it so far.

Behold, my offline test build with the new Sorceress-only
Herald Of Zakarum
:
After kicking around the game files for a while, I decided on some minor modifications for offline play for myself:

- Moved
Zeal
, Fanatacism,
Shout
Battle Orders
Burst of Speed
, and
Battle Command
into the Sorceress cold talent tree
- The game crashes if all the classes don't have the exact same amount of skills as each other, so I swapped sorc talents into the other classes to replace the skills I stole
- Modified some synergies and gave a little boost to
Zeal
damage
- Made the sorceress class have the same starting stats as the barbarian, and the same attack rating and block modifiers as the paladin
- Swapped sorceress and Paladin class items with each other
- Upped magic find on
Topaz
gems (i.e.
Chipped Topaz
starts at 20% magicfind now)

My basic idea was to move a hybrid paladin-barbarian zealot build into the sorceress and play through offline and see how it plays. Just for funsies. My goal was to make it not OP enough to be boring, but strong enough to be fun. And that's entirely subjective, but it's for offline play by me for me, and I'm having fun with it.

Just figured I'd post this up here and bring up the idea that offline game modding is possible in D2R.

- I don't know if this will get me banned on battlenet
- I'm not going to try playing online with this game client
- If I get banned then so be it, I'm having fun

If anybody else wants to hop into the fun world of offline game file modding, the Phrozen Keep is an OG modding community which apparently is still around today and has a huge knowledgebase posted on how to do this.

https://d2mods.info/forum/kb/index

Have fun, and I take no responsibility if you get your own ass banned from battlenet in the process, lmao.
Description by BillyMaysed

Can be used to make Runewords:

Beardozer 457Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Just as I was getting into my online melee sorc, Blizzard re-capped IAS. I'm not even sure how much this impacts my build, but I didn't bother to update my game client and have been playing offline since.

This brought me back to the old days of character editors, and then game file modding. Back in the day I'd give myself a billion DPS and it would be fun for all of about five minutes, but then I'd quickly get bored and quit. That whole experience kind of taught me that restrictions and limitations bring fun. There has to be the right framework in place to have fun with.

Turns out D2R really does re-use most of the legacy codebase, and game file editing guides from 20 years ago still work and apply to D2R. It looks like there have been some small modifications to the game's database and such, but for the most part I've been able to mod my offline game files and had a lot of fun with it so far.

Behold, my offline test build with the new Sorceress-only
Herald Of Zakarum
:
After kicking around the game files for a while, I decided on some minor modifications for offline play for myself:

- Moved
Zeal
, Fanatacism,
Shout
Battle Orders
Burst of Speed
, and
Battle Command
into the Sorceress cold talent tree
- The game crashes if all the classes don't have the exact same amount of skills as each other, so I swapped sorc talents into the other classes to replace the skills I stole
- Modified some synergies and gave a little boost to
Zeal
damage
- Made the sorceress class have the same starting stats as the barbarian, and the same attack rating and block modifiers as the paladin
- Swapped sorceress and Paladin class items with each other
- Upped magic find on
Topaz
gems (i.e.
Chipped Topaz
starts at 20% magicfind now)

My basic idea was to move a hybrid paladin-barbarian zealot build into the sorceress and play through offline and see how it plays. Just for funsies. My goal was to make it not OP enough to be boring, but strong enough to be fun. And that's entirely subjective, but it's for offline play by me for me, and I'm having fun with it.

Just figured I'd post this up here and bring up the idea that offline game modding is possible in D2R.

- I don't know if this will get me banned on battlenet
- I'm not going to try playing online with this game client
- If I get banned then so be it, I'm having fun

If anybody else wants to hop into the fun world of offline game file modding, the Phrozen Keep is an OG modding community which apparently is still around today and has a huge knowledgebase posted on how to do this.

https://d2mods.info/forum/kb/index

Have fun, and I take no responsibility if you get your own ass banned from battlenet in the process, lmao.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood

BillyMaysed 2253Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Beardozer wrote: 2 years ago
Just as I was getting into my online melee sorc, Blizzard re-capped IAS.
IAS reversal as well as them removing A2 Merc glitch and
Fire Wall
nerf is giving me the sads.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...