Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
9 replies   1556 views

Description

I understand that this might be a tough question to answer, since the market changes with time and with potential disruptors (such as new rune words). I've been trading off a lot of my unneeded items in favor of runes, with the assumption that runes hold value better than items. What I'm curious about is whether some runes are better than others at storing value--and if some items tend not to decrease in value as much as others. What I mean by that is (for example) I crafted a 38/392 Grief that I suspect would hold value due in part to its high roll modifiers perhaps not being common enough to devalue it quickly.

I know I'm probably being overanalytical here, especially with the ladder coming next year. But it still seemed like a reasonable question to get opinions on.
Description by BillyMaysed

Can be used to make Runewords:

I understand that this might be a tough question to answer, since the market changes with time and with potential disruptors (such as new rune words). I've been trading off a lot of my unneeded items in favor of runes, with the assumption that runes hold value better than items. What I'm curious about is whether some runes are better than others at storing value--and if some items tend not to decrease in value as much as others. What I mean by that is (for example) I crafted a 38/392 Grief that I suspect would hold value due in part to its high roll modifiers perhaps not being common enough to devalue it quickly.

I know I'm probably being overanalytical here, especially with the ladder coming next year. But it still seemed like a reasonable question to get opinions on.

Usually online various times between 1000 to 2100 Eastern.
If I purchase your item, message me on BNet.
I prefer a counter offer to being ignored.
In my opinion,
Ber
and
Jah
hold good value, mostly because they are very much needed for a ton of end game runewords. Their relative value is difficult to assess, but at the moment
Ber
=
Jah
+
Vex

If the new runewords are cool, perhaps after the ladder
Cham
and
Zod
will become more valuable.

Lo
and inferior tanked in value, making it hard to get an equivalent trade for a
Sur
, for example.

Perhaps the best way to store value is still
Ber
, but maybe 5/5 Lighning facets or other GG pvp items may hold value even better, as more people transition into pvp.

Things that may devalue:

SOJ and
Annihilus
, if the method to obtain it is easier overall, and SOJs become a mana version of BK.

Unid torches:

Right now takes a long time to sell for 2
Ist
or a
Gul

Your Grief may hold decent value, as people get tired of re-rolling and want to buy wan asap. However, why not just keep it? Do you use it?

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector
OP
Aegis200 wrote: 2 years ago

Your Grief may hold decent value, as people get tired of re-rolling and want to buy wan asap. However, why not just keep it? Do you use it?
Yeah, I use the Grief and I do plan on keeping it. But when I thought about the modifiers, it made me curious about higher modifiers holding value better. For example, I'd imagine a 6/6/4 CTA would hold value better than a 2/1/1 would (where the latter wouldn't even be worth the runes used to craft it). I heard about some items losing value recently, but I wasn't aware that
Lo
and inferior runes tanked in value. I imagine you mean they tanked in value relative to
Ber
and
Jah
, or--in other words--
Ber
and
Jah
jumped in value while other high runes remained where they were?

Usually online various times between 1000 to 2100 Eastern.
If I purchase your item, message me on BNet.
I prefer a counter offer to being ignored.
Alberic wrote: 2 years ago
Aegis200 wrote: 2 years ago

Yeah, I use the Grief and I do plan on keeping it. But when I thought about the modifiers, it made me curious about higher modifiers holding value better. For example, I'd imagine a 6/6/4 CTA would hold value better than a 2/1/1 would (where the latter wouldn't even be worth the runes used to craft it). I heard about some items losing value recently, but I wasn't aware that
Lo
and inferior runes tanked in value. I imagine you mean they tanked in value relative to
Ber
and
Jah
, or--in other words--
Ber
and
Jah
jumped in value while other high runes remained where they were?
Yup

Lo
Wisp Projector
Perfect or near perfect items hold value better. If you are buying a Vipermagi or Mara's at this point you probably want a perfect one.

Aegis
is spot on with the rune assessment. End game charms can also be good store of value, such as 3/20/20s or +life skillers. Charms in general are liable to increase in value from early season to mid/late as people look to tweak mostly finished characters. But for runes,
Ber
/
Jah
is likely best.
Perfect charms are gold equal in-game. 20life/5@, 20life/17mana, 45life skillers, 322s, 451psn, 3frw/5@ and so on. These will rarely drop in value considering rarity. Took some over 15 years for supply in Legacy non-ladder to overcome demand.

Perfect Rune Words are always expensive, more variable modifiers = more expensive.

Perfect upgraded uniques can be a goldmine, collectors are going crazy at some point over these. Say, perfect ethereal upgraded Arreats Face, non-
Eth
Vipermagi, Waterwalks, Magefists, Kira's etc.

Some uniques are expensive as perfect as is - Griffons,
Crown of Ages
Tomb Reaver
(good luck finding perfect),
Death's Fathom
, Escuta's and lots more. End-game min-maxing will dry up supply quickly.

There are so rich players in D2, you would not even imagine. Some are willing to pay anything for their needs if your item is only one to fit those needs.

Asha 334

Sorceress Europe PC
Long ago, i managed to find pestilent small charm of anthrax - but it was offline, i didn't like it's effect very much, so it was gone (don't even remember, perhaps i was reinstallin smth, or just sold it to vendors). It was quite some time after that to discover that collectors are goin meow about such charm, and ready to pay cosmic value for it. Ah well, whatever 🙂
Asha wrote: 2 years ago
Long ago, i managed to find pestilent small charm of anthrax - but it was offline, i didn't like it's effect very much, so it was gone (don't even remember, perhaps i was reinstallin smth, or just sold it to vendors). It was quite some time after that to discover that collectors are goin meow about such charm, and ready to pay cosmic value for it. Ah well, whatever 🙂
PVP is what drives the truly insane item values - e.g., JMOD. Poison charms fall into this category.

The value of some of these items isn't obvious to those who aren't into PVP. I shudder to think at how many ludicrously expensive items have been
Charsi
'd or left unidentified on the Ground because people didn't recognize.
Sekraan wrote: 2 years ago
Asha wrote: 2 years ago
PVP is what drives the truly insane item values - e.g., JMOD. Poison charms fall into this category.

The value of some of these items isn't obvious to those who aren't into PVP. I shudder to think at how many ludicrously expensive items have been
Charsi
'd or left unidentified on the Ground because people didn't recognize.
I agree. Some 5 Nado Druid helms, 6 40 javelins and JMODS just hold crazy value.

Lo
Wisp Projector
Something I expect to drastically increase in value, but slowly over time, is low-level-dueller gear. It's often just very hard to find since people don't know it's valuable, they don't list it for trade. Once people get bored with their level 97
Whirlwind
barbs, they'll come looking for those near-perfect damage jewels and charms for lvl9, lvl18, lvl30.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...