Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
13 replies   5236 views

Description

I just found my first high rune a couple days ago, and I was wondering what people's opinions are on whether making a Fortitude for my Merc would be better than trading the
Lo
rune for other runes such as a few
Vex
runes or Ists. I currently have Insight / andariels visage / Treachery on the merc. If I were to trade the
Lo
rune I would probably make a HOTO and trade for other gear / a torch. Is Fortitude that much better than Treachery on the merc or would getting more "end game" gear on the character be better?

Can be used to make Runewords:

I just found my first high rune a couple days ago, and I was wondering what people's opinions are on whether making a Fortitude for my Merc would be better than trading the
Lo
rune for other runes such as a few
Vex
runes or Ists. I currently have Insight / andariels visage / Treachery on the merc. If I were to trade the
Lo
rune I would probably make a HOTO and trade for other gear / a torch. Is Fortitude that much better than Treachery on the merc or would getting more "end game" gear on the character be better?
I was in a similar situation. I was very tempted to make fortitde. I ended up trading it. Was able to make HOTO and trade for an arachinid mesh and a 28ar maras and still had some leftover. I feel like it was 100% the right choice.
Man it really depends on what you decide to play. For example, the price increase of the Fortitude for your merc may not be too justifiable (even when using much cheaper Duress, Treachery or ethereal
Duriel
Shell).

If you intend to play other characters, a
Lo
is vital in making Grief (the most broken piece of sword in the game) or a Fortitude armor for a Paladin or Barb, which you can exchange freely across them.

However, you brought a good point, you can trade your
Lo
for some combination of
Vex
or
Ohm
, which will allow you to make some nice runewords, if you want those more.

The other issue is that Torches vary massively in price, so I would not spend a HR or equivalent (which hold price reasonably well depending on what are their uses) compared to torches, which are currently being farm like crazy.

In my personal experience, I ended up making a Grief with the
Lo
I found, then trading a
Sur
for another
Lo
to make a second Grief, and again trading a
Sur
for a third
Lo
to make Fortitude.

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector
Fortitude is something you make cuz you got too many
Lo
's sitting around and want to make a nice armor for your merc.

If you want a Grief, use the
Lo
for yourself. Otherwise, trade it to gear up. I would personally make a Grief and farm Trav with a Horker. It pays for itself.

Eventually when the market stablizes, all of these highly desireable runes will be roughly worth around each other
Lo
Jah
, and
Ber

AGKS 17

Paladin PC
Definitely trade for other items to gear up first.

In Search Of The Total Peace Of Mind
Fortitude is quite expensive to begin with so you want the best possible base for it (
Eth
Sacred Armor
or
Shadow Plate
) and those do cost a pretty penny and your merc needs about 220 str for them.

It's a great armor, no doubt about that. But it's also a high end solution for ppl who can afford it.

My recommendation is to trade the
Lo
for smaller runes and then trade for stuff that really improves things for you. Treachery, Insight and Andy or Gaze is a very powerful and much cheaper combination.

Peacku 186

Sorceress Europe PC
Think about what each options enables and that should help you decide:
-
Lo
on Fortitude -> merc gets tankier, dies a bit less
-
Lo
on Grief -> huge dmg boost to you Smiter or similar melee character
-
Lo
on non
Eth
Fortitude -> huge survivability boost to your melee character
- Trade
Lo
for gear -> dmg/survivability/mf boost for your character, potentially best in slot items can be acquired

Like others have said, trading it far outweighs the other options, although I will say it also means you need to be trading a lot which you may consider annoying if that's not your thing.

Fortitude for your merc is super nice, but don't think that he will be invincible as a result, he'll still get one shot by some uniques, rekt by
Conviction
/
Fanaticism
auras and die to poison every once in a while if you're not carefully feeding him health pots and rejuvs.

But in the end, regardless of the potential value, you got this
Lo
and whatever you make of it will be fine. If you only play one character, don't want to trade and just want that sweet
Eth
Fortitude, who is gonna stop you?
Peacku wrote: 2 years ago
If you only play one character, don't want to trade and just want that sweet
Eth
The guy selling the base .......

;-)

Banjo 138

Sorceress Americas PC
I would definitely say it depends on what your needs are. For me personally I really need my merc stay alive cuz I’m a one element cold sorc, so i literally can’t kill anything with cold immune, since I got Fortitude on my merc he’s been practically unkillable unless it’s super high magic damage. He can stand in a field of cows forever and not die. That may not be what you need at the moment, but it’s what I needed. Have no use for a Grief at the moment, and already had a hoto. Good luck and whatever decision you make will be the right one. Unless you’re trade that
Lo
for a
Mal
rune. That would be the wrong decision.
I had a merc with Fortitude, Andy's Visage, and swapping between Insight and Obedience. Then, I traded the Fortitude++ for a
Ber
and now use a Treachery on my merc since I'm poor. Honestly, I don't even notice the difference. Take that for what it's worth.
Keep in mind
Lo
is about half a
Ber
- for that reason I'd never recommend crafting Fortitude for merc or trading it down until you've hit all your crucial runewords.
Peacku wrote: 2 years ago
Think about what each options enables and that should help you decide:
-
Lo
on Fortitude -> merc gets tankier, dies a bit less
-
Lo
on Grief -> huge dmg boost to you Smiter or similar melee character
-
Lo
on non
Eth
Fortitude -> huge survivability boost to your melee character
- Trade
Lo
for gear -> dmg/survivability/mf boost for your character, potentially best in slot items can be acquired

Like others have said, trading it far outweighs the other options, although I will say it also means you need to be trading a lot which you may consider annoying if that's not your thing.

Fortitude for your merc is super nice, but don't think that he will be invincible as a result, he'll still get one shot by some uniques, rekt by
Conviction
/
Fanaticism
auras and die to poison every once in a while if you're not carefully feeding him health pots and rejuvs.

But in the end, regardless of the potential value, you got this
Lo
and whatever you make of it will be fine. If you only play one character, don't want to trade and just want that sweet
Eth
Largely agree, but would elaborate on 3rd point - for a melee player I would imagine a league start runeword order as something like:
[*]Oath
Phase Blade
(s) - farm hell Trav
[*]Grief
Phase Blade
(s) - farm hell Trav/CS
[*]Gambling for dual-leech rings
[*]Enigma - summoner > trav > meph > nithalak, trade for
Terror
keys and start Ubers.
[*]
Cham
Helm
to replace "can't be frozen" off
Duriel
's in chest slot
[*]
Arachnid Mesh
to cast speed teleports
[*]Hoto for teleports/horking.
Wouldn't consider Fortitude until all of the above was done. Zealot works decently there since they have access to 1 point
Smite
for Ubers, while Barb has access to
Find Item
for extra rune drops off Trav. Sorc I would exclusively trade
Lo
to work towards Infinity.

rikus 139

Amazon Americas PC
Aegis200 wrote: 2 years ago
Man it really depends on what you decide to play. For example, the price increase of the Fortitude for your merc may not be too justifiable (even when using much cheaper Duress, Treachery or ethereal
Duriel
Shell).

If you intend to play other characters, a
Lo
is vital in making Grief (the most broken piece of sword in the game) or a Fortitude armor for a Paladin or Barb, which you can exchange freely across them.

However, you brought a good point, you can trade your
Lo
for some combination of
Vex
or
Ohm
, which will allow you to make some nice runewords, if you want those more.

The other issue is that Torches vary massively in price, so I would not spend a HR or equivalent (which hold price reasonably well depending on what are their uses) compared to torches, which are currently being farm like crazy.

In my personal experience, I ended up making a Grief with the
Lo
I found, then trading a
Sur
for another
Lo
to make a second Grief, and again trading a
Sur
for a third
Lo
to make Fortitude.
What are you playing for dual wielding Grief?
Frenzy
barb? What’s your build?

goodluck, and may the RNG god be with you.
Frenzy
Barbarian, I got a carver for
Find Item
(swap), but will put some solid points on it after I reach lvl 90. 1BK 1RF for rings, and a Highlords pendant The rest of the gear depends on the situation. Got a Lawbringer at hand in case ghosts decide to be annoying.

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...