diablo2.io is supported by ads
47 replies   7962 views

Description

Can be used to make Runewords:

ShadowHeart wrote: 1 year ago
zilonka wrote: 1 year ago

A win for barb players. Finally.
I take it back. RIP to Barb players. While the new IAS calc on 2H is a buff; however, on dual wield is a nerf.
Can you explain, as if explaining to a child, why it's a nerf? I have never really payed much attention to how
Whirlwind
works (I made an effort once a long time ago to try to understand it but there were so much conflicting information I gave up), and the patch notes made it sound like the changes should be a buff all-around. I haven't really given it that much thought though, so if you (or someone else) could explain it, I would greatly appreciate it.
Now when you start out as a
Whirlwind
barb, you get more damage at the beginning for the lower WW levels (1-26), but less damage once you get up to 27+ WW, compared to before the patch.

Which sounds like it makes it better for leveling, but less desirable as an end-game Barb skill. I prefer
Frenzy
, myself.

When I'm not slaying demons, I'm usually out hiking mountains.

ShadowHeart 1735Moderator

Europe PC
Ah, well I get that, thanks! I thought there something more to it with the "RIP" comment. Like noticeably fewer attacks per second while dual wielding than before.

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.
Ah, well I get that, thanks! I thought there something more to it with the "RIP" comment. Like noticeably fewer attacks per second while dual wielding than before.
Here's a nice summary I just found (credit to Ubeogesh):

"New
Whirlwind
still needs a lot of analysis, like how dual wielding works, and what’s gonna happen with faster weapons, and need to actually try the playthrough version.

But on the 2-handed end-game side of things, on the IK side of things… looks like a moderate nerf to me."

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2r/t ... ses/136247

When I'm not slaying demons, I'm usually out hiking mountains.
Well, they pretty much buffed it for the 3 people, who actually play through the game with a
Whirlwind
Barbarian, and nerfed it for everyone else. So it's R.I.P. in a sense indeed. I, for one, don't like the fact that my WW barbarian is weaker following the patch :D Oh, but on the other hand I seem to have gotten an extra 1% chance of hitting the council members, yay?

Europe PC
Zero187 wrote: 1 year ago

Here's a nice summary I just found (credit to Ubeogesh):

"New
Whirlwind
still needs a lot of analysis, like how dual wielding works, and what’s gonna happen with faster weapons, and need to actually try the playthrough version.

But on the 2-handed end-game side of things, on the IK side of things… looks like a moderate nerf to me."

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d2r/t ... ses/136247
Interesting read, thanks! Maybe we'll get even more in-depth analysis from the community.

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.

A win for barb players. Finally.
I take it back. RIP to Barb players. While the new IAS calc on 2H is a buff; however, on dual wield is a nerf.
Can you explain, as if explaining to a child, why it's a nerf? I have never really payed much attention to how
Whirlwind
works (I made an effort once a long time ago to try to understand it but there were so much conflicting information I gave up), and the patch notes made it sound like the changes should be a buff all-around. I haven't really given it that much thought though, so if you (or someone else) could explain it, I would greatly appreciate it.

Few things happened how the WW works.
Holy Freeze
/
Decrepify
now affects WW and hits mobs at a reduced rate. Before the patch, you were able to do 6 hits (or 4 frame max). This was probably the only advantage that barb players had over other AOE characters.
2. The WW damage output was slightly reduced from 8% to 5% per level. Not a big thing, but the fact that they reduced the damage output for the end game just didn't make sense with me. Early game damage boost was a good approach though.
3. The new IAS calc. This is definitely a buff to 2-handed weapons and weapons such as
War Pike
now have a good use in the game. However, if you are wielding two weapons the IAS from both weapons is averaged and so you are now forced to add more IAS from your equipment. For example, Greif on
Colossus Blade
only needed 39% IAS to get max 6 hit. But with the change it now requires 75%. If you are using
Colossus Sword
then you need to have 89% IAS, which means you have give yup a lot things to accomplish max hit.

So yea, I didn't expect the patch to be turn out this way...

Europe PC

Holy Freeze
/
Decrepify
now affects WW and hits mobs at a reduced rate. Before the patch, you were able to do 6 hits (or 4 frame max). This was probably the only advantage that barb players had over other AOE characters.
2. The WW damage output was slightly reduced from 8% to 5% per level. Not a big thing, but the fact that they reduced the damage output for the end game just didn't make sense with me. Early game damage boost was a good approach though.
3. The new IAS calc. This is definitely a buff to 2-handed weapons and weapons such as
War Pike
now have a good use in the game. However, if you are wielding two weapons the IAS from both weapons is averaged and so you are now forced to add more IAS from your equipment. For example, Greif on
Colossus Blade
only needed 39% IAS to get max 6 hit. But with the change it now requires 75%. If you are using
Colossus Sword
then you need to have 89% IAS, which means you have give yup a lot things to accomplish max hit.

Thanks for taking the time to summarize that!

So for dual wielding, you are essentially forced (may be a too strong word) to have 2 weapons of equally high attack speed?

Holy Freeze
/
Decrepify
War Pike
Colossus Blade
Colossus Sword

Thanks for taking the time to summarize that!

So for dual wielding, you are essentially forced (may be a too strong word) to have 2 weapons of equally high attack speed?
Pretty much. So, runewords like "Death" is not viable if you are looking for max hit or max frame.

Edit: But, Weapons like Grandfather is viable because of IAS taken from other equipments.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...