Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members

Drive for donations - let's upgrade our server!

No data yet

Description

Hello all,

The traffic isn't dying down, actually getting scared that this might have been a success :lol: It's becoming a bit too much to handle for the machine I'm currently using for hosting.

I've raised £70 in donations today, if I were to receive another £70 I'd be able to put the site on a dedicated server for a month, which would significantly speed up the site and allow for these kinds of sustained numbers. No more CAPTCHA as well as it has some extra security features.

If you want to help with these costs, please make a donation here. You get a cool gold coin next to your name and a purple username colour, plus a wee badge on your profile.

That's it for now, this all came at me really quick so I could only scrap together this simple system - I know some of you would have wanted to see something robust but hopefully this'll be enough to raise funds for now.

Teeb

Can be used for Runewords

Teebling

Trust

A measure of trading reputation

This is the number of times this member had one of their trades marked as trustworthy.

Members with higher trustworthiness are less likely to scam or try to cheat you in-game and generally enjoy faster and higher quantities of responses.

Build up your own trust in the d2io marketplace by creating detailed trade ads and executing deals quickly. A friendly attitude always helps :)

Europe PC

Hello all,

The traffic isn't dying down, actually getting scared that this might have been a success :lol: It's becoming a bit too much to handle for the machine I'm currently using for hosting.

I've raised £70 in donations today, if I were to receive another £70 I'd be able to put the site on a dedicated server for a month, which would significantly speed up the site and allow for these kinds of sustained numbers. No more CAPTCHA as well as it has some extra security features.

If you want to help with these costs, please make a donation here. You get a cool gold coin next to your name and a purple username colour, plus a wee badge on your profile.

That's it for now, this all came at me really quick so I could only scrap together this simple system - I know some of you would have wanted to see something robust but hopefully this'll be enough to raise funds for now.

Teeb

BillyMaysed

Trust

This is the number of times this member had one of their trades marked as trustworthy.

Members with higher trustworthiness are less likely to scam or try to cheat you in-game and generally enjoy faster and higher quantities of responses.

Build up your own trust in the d2io marketplace by creating detailed trade ads and executing deals quickly. A friendly attitude always helps :)

Sorceress Americas PC

Can we get donator badges on our accounts to flex upon other unsuspecting members?

OP

Teebling

Trust

Europe PC

You get some cool decorations already :)

See CN's post at the top - gold coins before his forum level, purple username, 'Donator' title.
See CN's post at the top - gold coins before his forum level, purple username, 'Donator' title.
Profile badge on his profile page.
Profile badge on his profile page.

BillyMaysed

Trust

Sorceress Americas PC

Teebling wrote: 3 weeks ago
You get some cool decorations already :)
You spent an insane amount of time on the finer details of this site. I am still randomly discovering new features with posting threads and comments, the trade section and the database. Its infinitely more complex than any other forum or D2 site ive ever seen. This site literally looks like you spent 10 years on it Teebs.

The tiny little icons, the intense nostalgia. Its like you worked for blizzard north on the OG diablo. Can't thank you enough for everything you've done here and we can already see this site is finally getting the attention it deserves.

OP

Teebling

Trust

Europe PC

Thanks for your donation Billy! I've ordered a new server already guys, hopefully have it live Monday.

retrocola

Trust

Paladin Europe PC

Teebling wrote: 3 weeks ago
Thanks for your donation Billy! I've ordered a new server already guys, hopefully have it live Monday.
Good job!

siulk

Trust

Assassin Europe PC

@Teebling The amount of money I gave, isn't enough to pay you or the team for the time and work you guys put into this project.

Tavron

Trust

Paladin Europe PC

Glad to hear about your efforts with the server! And even more about the popularity of the site (you did good with it though, so ofc usernumbers exploded ;) )
Nice, that you made it possible to just donate a small amount so people like me could help a bit too!

"Seven Evils spawned of seven heads. Seven realms birthed from Death."

Butter

Trust

Americas PC

Just some growing pains. Thank you for your work.

pixelated

Trust

Sorceress PC

We told you some pages are too heavy to load even on the client side. For example, all trades show up in a single page. It's ridiculous.

OP

Teebling

Trust

Europe PC

pixelated wrote: 3 weeks ago
We told you some pages are too heavy to load even on the client side. For example, all trades show up in a single page. It's ridiculous.
EDIT: changed now to batches of 200 with pagination, which breaks filtering but works well. At the moment is at 600-ish trades in the last 6h, so moving at around 100 trades an hour. I'm doing my best to keep up with a system I expected to maybe get 1 or 2 trades per hour if I was lucky.

This was an emergency patch on this very thing you mentioned - specifically to bring network requests down. There are too many threads because of the high amount of both organic and malicious traffic on a scale I hadn't anticipated. A dedicated server has a much greater thread count (bigger CPU), which will alleviate the unusually high amount of traffic. Client-side - as you mentioned - has nothing to do with that, bar the number of requests on each page, which as I said has already been hotfixed in the most practical and time-efficient manner to keep the site live.

If you think you can come up with a better solution, then I'm all ears.

BillyMaysed

Trust

Sorceress Americas PC

pixelated wrote: 3 weeks ago
This site had literally 400 members a month ago. now its rapidly going to soar past 4,000 in a single weekend DESPITE the DDoS attack and despite @Teebling being a one-man army back here doing it all.

I think he's done an insanely good job considering the situation, and he will fix all the issues is record time as he has in the past. For F-R-E-E.

Beardozer

Trust

Sorceress Americas PC

I think this site is blowing up faster than anybody expected. Glad to see it happen, now just gotta deal with some big growing pains.

diablo2.io janitor

CitationNumber

Trust

Amazon Americas PC

So how much do you need for next months server hosting? Maybe we can get a monthly donation goal somewhere?

Beardozer

Trust

Sorceress Americas PC

How much should we donate to the Hair Dye for Teebling fund so we can help Teebs combat all the gray hair he's undoubtedly growing this week seeing his server catch fire from explosive user growth?

diablo2.io janitor

Jandar

Trust

Paladin Europe Xbox

It's so weird how people even bother to DDoS sites like these!

I was trying to donate with Paypal but they have a two-factor authentication going with a wrong phone number and no way to fix that on their website. Doh. I'll look into it later and see if I can do it via mobile instead.

Otherwise think Patreon is a natural, established system for these sort of things, especially to easier get recurring payments going.

BillyMaysed

Trust

Sorceress Americas PC

Jandar wrote: 3 weeks ago
Otherwise think Patreon is a natural, established system for these sort of things, especially to easier get recurring payments going.
ya i was also going to ask if @Teebling can set up reoccurring donations through patreon or something like that. Maybe $1, $5, $10, $25/month?

Greenr04

Trust

Sorceress Americas PC

I would pay (more) to have captchas turned off for my account. I'm also a bit concerned that I may be a bot since I keep failing so many captchas.

Reptyler

Trust

Amazon Americas PC

Greenr04 wrote: 3 weeks ago
I would pay (more) to have captchas turned off for my account. I'm also a bit concerned that I may be a bot since I keep failing so many captchas.
I was thinking the same thing!

Relevant xkcd:
https://xkcd.com/329/
https://xkcd.com/329/

sO_ShysluShy

Trust

Americas PC

Greenr04 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Every captcha everytime was select the planes. Always planes. So many planes.

Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions.

BillyMaysed

Trust

Sorceress Americas PC

sO_ShysluShy wrote: 3 weeks ago
Every captcha everytime was select the planes. Always planes. So many planes.
Planes? Trucks? Buses?

I am now a certified expert at this point. Can spot one at 500 yards at night in a snowstorm.

nyRo

Trust

Necromancer Americas PC

Incredible site and it is exactly what the community needs in terms of trading. The #1 issue people talked about when I mentioned this site on reddit was the slow server speed; easy decision to donate for me.

Bubblesmcgoo

Trust

Thanks for the purple name! Fav color!

berserkingyadis

Trust

Assassin Europe PC

thanks for all the work on this great site. nice seeing donators getting special names. but please do not bump their trades in the list or give other "advantages". keep it fair for everyone.

BillyMaysed

Trust

Sorceress Americas PC

berserkingyadis wrote: 2 weeks ago
but please do not bump their trades in the list or give other "advantages". keep it fair for everyone.
Ya this site is definitely designed to not give anyone any unfair advantages. I'm just happy to donate to support the site for the community. The trade section & and the database are truly awesome creations.

darkrezus

Trust

Europe PC

Just made my donation, this site deserved a good server :) thanks for the great work.

BillyMaysed

Trust

Sorceress Americas PC

darkrezus wrote: 1 week ago
Just made my donation, this site deserved a good server :) thanks for the great work.
your deeds of valor will be remembered.

We're about to need another... few upgrades with how the membership seems to be rising exponentially :O

bckq

Trust

Sorceress Europe PC

optimize your website instead of upgrading the server

OP

Teebling

Trust

Europe PC

bckq wrote: 1 week ago
We are. You think optimisation alone can help having half a million pageviews a day? :lol:

bckq

Trust

Sorceress Europe PC

Teebling wrote: 1 week ago
We are. You think optimisation alone can help having half a million pageviews a day? :lol:
on 150 euro/month dedicated server you can easily handle more than that. I'm not trying to offend you or brag or something, I just don't want you to spend too much money for nothing. I'm just saying that your website is not really optimized, online counter on main page, random entries and propably some other heavy logic / db requests that throttle the whole website with each page view instead of at least caching it for a short time, it all will just drain your money on server when you can instead make some changes to the script itself

OP

Teebling

Trust

Europe PC

on 150 euro/month dedicated server you can easily handle more than that. I'm not trying to offend you or brag or something, I just don't want you to spend too much money for nothing.
It's on a 350 usd a month dedicated server at the moment.
online counter on main page
Span of the last 2 mins - not a very heavy query, especially as I truncate the sessions table regularly.
random entries
This is cached, so no effect on performance.
propably some other heavy logic / db requests that throttle the whole website
These are being indexed and re-organised by @Byte-Size.
instead of at least caching it for a short time
A lot of stuff is cached, actually everything that can be without affecting users too much.

Thanks for all this advice but you don't know what has been done so far ^ so there's some pointers for you. We're doing everything we can.

bckq

Trust

Sorceress Europe PC

Teebling wrote: 1 week ago
on 150 euro/month dedicated server you can easily handle more than that. I'm not trying to offend you or brag or something, I just don't want you to spend too much money for nothing.
It's on a 350 usd a month dedicated server at the moment.
online counter on main page
Span of the last 2 mins - not a very heavy query, especially as I truncate the sessions table regularly.
random entries
This is cached, so no effect on performance.
propably some other heavy logic / db requests that throttle the whole website
These are being indexed and re-organised by @Byte-Size.
instead of at least caching it for a short time
A lot of stuff is cached, actually everything that can be without affecting users too much.

Thanks for all this advice but you don't know what has been done so far ^ so there's some pointers for you. We're doing everything we can.
True I don't know what was done so far, but good to see that you're working on it I appreciate it, good luck!

Synack

Trust

Amazon Americas PC

Sent ya $25! Thanks for this server that feels much more legit than d2jsp

pattywack1991

Trust

Sorceress Americas PC

Patreon ftw. Subbed for ya. Hoping we can get the site to run more smoothly because it's AWESOME otherwise!

berserkingyadis

Trust

Assassin Europe PC

NGL the site is much faster now. dono's and tech upgrades doing good work!

BillyMaysed

Trust

Sorceress Americas PC

berserkingyadis wrote: 1 week ago
NGL the site is much faster now. dono's and tech upgrades doing good work!
Pretty insane how quickly they are improving things. I honestly expected the improvements to take weeks or longer considering its just Teebling and a couple helpers.

I love it when people with this level of programming skill create things in their free time just to help the community. Like all the many OG D2 mods and calculators made back in the day. The resources we have access to now because of people like them is truly incredible. :D

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...