Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
14 replies   5134 views

Description

Welcome to the guide nobody asked for, written for scenarios nobody wants, caused by people nobody likes.

What is Defensive Cowing?
If you have heard of Defensive Riding, it is a strategy that helps a motorcycle rider to always be in control and not to be surprised by the actions of others. It is about observing, anticipating, planning ahead and this strategy enables a motorcycle rider to remain in a safe controllable situation.

Defensive cowing is essentially this, except instead of looking out for other drivers/riders, you are looking out for POACHERS.

What is a Poacher?
A poacher is a player that enters the cow level and displays incredible feats of strength, strategy and gear choices. I'm fricking with you. They're there to loot, and nothing else. And by nothing else I mean they do not attack cows, they do not buff you, they do not debuff the enemy, they are there to loot. We are not referring to players that contribute or fight for their share.

But, where does the loot come from if they're not doing any of those?
From the Javazon. That's you. You kill the cows, they take the loot. Your effort, their reward. Simple isn't it?

Why not play single player then?
Off you go, then. No need to read this. Bye!
What, it was a genuine question? Please google "no drop chance vs playersx".

That was the introduction. Let's talk gear requirements specific to Defensive Cowing, or Personal Loot Protective Equipment (PLPE).

Personal Loot Protective Equipment
Enigma is an armor that many Javazons skip in favor of Chains of Honor. Under normal circumstances this would be fine. But for Defensive Cowing, you absolutely need this pinnacle of Mobility. A feasible alternative is the runeword Harmony on your offhand, but it means no CTA (arguably overkill for p8 cows) and for certain strategies outlined later, they require
Teleport

FCR breakpoint - 48 is sufficient for the purposes in this guide. You can achieve this either via Spirit and
Arachnid Mesh
, or Spirit and
Griffon's Eye

Understanding and recognizing the Enemy
Poachers come in many classes, but they are most frequently the melee classes with high HP pools. Be especially wary of druids and barbies. The simple reason is that they can rush in while you are still casting LF when a HR drops. There is no way you will be able to beat them to it in the middle of the melee, and they are unlikely to die in said melee.

The behavior is instantly recognizable - they stalk you at a close range, never attacking cows. Their ideal position is your 10 or 2 o clock when facing the cows at 12 o clock. This puts distance between them at the mobs but no farther than you, and they can react quickly to any orange text. If you have the habit of trailing the cows along and then firing at them as they come toward you, they may trail the cows at their 6 o clock, sometimes seeing loot that is even out of your screen.

Strategies
The general overarching rule is this: Kill as many cows as possible in the absence of other players. To your own preference, you might be comfortable with other fighting players sharing any possible HR drops, but for the purpose of this guide we will assume these noble souls do not exist and we stand only in the presence of the insidious, scum-eating, bottom-feeding, despicable poachers.

Lead a run where possible - creating a cow run with a middling number "Cow run 015" will generally pull joiners quickly. If the population is insufficient, it can't be helped then. But we will assume you are present when the portal is created.

Entering the portal
Once you enter the portal, do NOT stick around for anything.
Teleport
immediately away from the portal until no other players are on the minimap. This typically means you start your farm on the other end of the map from the portal. This is where
Teleport
outstrips
Vigor
, because it is far easier for a poacher to trace and stalk you if you're running.

Positioning against the cows
While the map is clear of other players, you can generally relax and kill as you normally would. however, once there are poachers present, you need to be between the cows and the poachers. DO NOT ATTACK whenever a poacher is nearer to your cows than you. This first part is pretty straightforward.

Poachers, Walls and You
Never, Ever place your back to the walls when LFing a herd. Your visibility is limited and there is a high chance a poacher will be on the other side of the herd. If you have lured the cows near a wall, make sure to round to the other side before LFing. Walls have good uses too in defensive cowing:

Using Walls Defensively
Poachers who manage to keep up with you and stick near you will tend to follow blindly. If you are able to lure the cows toward the wall, ensure a good seal by teleporting to the left and right so the cows form a concave shape against the wall with you and the poacher inside. Then,
Teleport
out, and away. Do not attack the cows. With any luck, you will soon see "POACHER was killed by
Hell Bovine
". If not, you still have purchased valuable time to attack other herds.

The Cow King
's sty is an excellent place to trap poachers. Run in, ensuring you have cows on as many sides as possible, and throw 1 or 2 javelins for show. The poacher(s) will gather like vultures.
Teleport
thru the wall without further damaging the herd. Any poacher without a
Teleport
skill or
Leap
will be instantly destroyed. This buys you a lot of time to kill the surrounding herds in Peace.

Herding cows
Herding cows in the presence of poachers trying to incessantly keep up with you is challenging. When you find the cows spread out,
Teleport
until you find a middling group, and stay still and wait for the pack to tighten. If no poachers arrive during this time, fire away. Otherwise, proceed to:

Defensive slaying
Cows will invariably form an oblong shape as they march toward you. If forced to kill in the presence of poachers, do so at close range after immediately teleporting to the side of this oblong, and firing into the middle of it. This ensure the middle segment dies early, since the piercing
Javelin
and its high damage only apply to the cows nearest to you, while the rest suffer lightning damage alone. Walk into the herd as you LF and as the pack tightens, consider switching to CS to pick them off.

Inventory Tips
Having the strategy is well and good, but there are nuances that may not bother the javazon who is accustomed to SP and might want to try this out.
Space - keep a 2 x 4 inventory space open in your stash as far as possible. This may seem excessive, but because a 4 OS Ethereal
Thresher
sells for a
Vex
, and bases drop from cows quite often, I assume you have no intention of missing out on these. I assure you, the poachers will not overlook Grey names like
Archon Plate
Mage Plate
Cryptic Axe
Giant Thresher
as well.
Maintenance - between packs, CHECK. You may have inadvertently picked up pots,
Arrows
Bolts
and the like. The last thing you want is for something good to drop, and you being able to click first - only to make it dance. FYI, poachers run these lands with an empty pack. They have no reason to carry skillers or any form of charms. There is no Parasite +1 GC.

Afterword
If you have read this far, congratulations! You've learned the painful lesson I did, minus the school fees I paid. The above strategies are by no means 100%, but they have served me well so far. At time of writing, this author has killed 2 poachers against walls, and 5 poachers inside
The Cow King
's sty. I look forward to many more.

This guide is dedicated to the following poached runes:
Ohm
rune, 22 Nov, 2355 hrs, southeastern wall
Ist
rune, 26 Nov, 2204 hrs, south of cow king's sty

Happy Javing, and Death to all Poachers.
Description by MarcWizard

Can be used to make Runewords:

Welcome to the guide nobody asked for, written for scenarios nobody wants, caused by people nobody likes.

What is Defensive Cowing?
If you have heard of Defensive Riding, it is a strategy that helps a motorcycle rider to always be in control and not to be surprised by the actions of others. It is about observing, anticipating, planning ahead and this strategy enables a motorcycle rider to remain in a safe controllable situation.

Defensive cowing is essentially this, except instead of looking out for other drivers/riders, you are looking out for POACHERS.

What is a Poacher?
A poacher is a player that enters the cow level and displays incredible feats of strength, strategy and gear choices. I'm fricking with you. They're there to loot, and nothing else. And by nothing else I mean they do not attack cows, they do not buff you, they do not debuff the enemy, they are there to loot. We are not referring to players that contribute or fight for their share.

But, where does the loot come from if they're not doing any of those?
From the Javazon. That's you. You kill the cows, they take the loot. Your effort, their reward. Simple isn't it?

Why not play single player then?
Off you go, then. No need to read this. Bye!
What, it was a genuine question? Please google "no drop chance vs playersx".

That was the introduction. Let's talk gear requirements specific to Defensive Cowing, or Personal Loot Protective Equipment (PLPE).

Personal Loot Protective Equipment
Enigma is an armor that many Javazons skip in favor of Chains of Honor. Under normal circumstances this would be fine. But for Defensive Cowing, you absolutely need this pinnacle of Mobility. A feasible alternative is the runeword Harmony on your offhand, but it means no CTA (arguably overkill for p8 cows) and for certain strategies outlined later, they require
Teleport

FCR breakpoint - 48 is sufficient for the purposes in this guide. You can achieve this either via Spirit and
Arachnid Mesh
, or Spirit and
Griffon's Eye

Understanding and recognizing the Enemy
Poachers come in many classes, but they are most frequently the melee classes with high HP pools. Be especially wary of druids and barbies. The simple reason is that they can rush in while you are still casting LF when a HR drops. There is no way you will be able to beat them to it in the middle of the melee, and they are unlikely to die in said melee.

The behavior is instantly recognizable - they stalk you at a close range, never attacking cows. Their ideal position is your 10 or 2 o clock when facing the cows at 12 o clock. This puts distance between them at the mobs but no farther than you, and they can react quickly to any orange text. If you have the habit of trailing the cows along and then firing at them as they come toward you, they may trail the cows at their 6 o clock, sometimes seeing loot that is even out of your screen.

Strategies
The general overarching rule is this: Kill as many cows as possible in the absence of other players. To your own preference, you might be comfortable with other fighting players sharing any possible HR drops, but for the purpose of this guide we will assume these noble souls do not exist and we stand only in the presence of the insidious, scum-eating, bottom-feeding, despicable poachers.

Lead a run where possible - creating a cow run with a middling number "Cow run 015" will generally pull joiners quickly. If the population is insufficient, it can't be helped then. But we will assume you are present when the portal is created.

Entering the portal
Once you enter the portal, do NOT stick around for anything.
Teleport
immediately away from the portal until no other players are on the minimap. This typically means you start your farm on the other end of the map from the portal. This is where
Teleport
outstrips
Vigor
, because it is far easier for a poacher to trace and stalk you if you're running.

Positioning against the cows
While the map is clear of other players, you can generally relax and kill as you normally would. however, once there are poachers present, you need to be between the cows and the poachers. DO NOT ATTACK whenever a poacher is nearer to your cows than you. This first part is pretty straightforward.

Poachers, Walls and You
Never, Ever place your back to the walls when LFing a herd. Your visibility is limited and there is a high chance a poacher will be on the other side of the herd. If you have lured the cows near a wall, make sure to round to the other side before LFing. Walls have good uses too in defensive cowing:

Using Walls Defensively
Poachers who manage to keep up with you and stick near you will tend to follow blindly. If you are able to lure the cows toward the wall, ensure a good seal by teleporting to the left and right so the cows form a concave shape against the wall with you and the poacher inside. Then,
Teleport
out, and away. Do not attack the cows. With any luck, you will soon see "POACHER was killed by
Hell Bovine
". If not, you still have purchased valuable time to attack other herds.

The Cow King
's sty is an excellent place to trap poachers. Run in, ensuring you have cows on as many sides as possible, and throw 1 or 2 javelins for show. The poacher(s) will gather like vultures.
Teleport
thru the wall without further damaging the herd. Any poacher without a
Teleport
skill or
Leap
will be instantly destroyed. This buys you a lot of time to kill the surrounding herds in Peace.

Herding cows
Herding cows in the presence of poachers trying to incessantly keep up with you is challenging. When you find the cows spread out,
Teleport
until you find a middling group, and stay still and wait for the pack to tighten. If no poachers arrive during this time, fire away. Otherwise, proceed to:

Defensive slaying
Cows will invariably form an oblong shape as they march toward you. If forced to kill in the presence of poachers, do so at close range after immediately teleporting to the side of this oblong, and firing into the middle of it. This ensure the middle segment dies early, since the piercing
Javelin
and its high damage only apply to the cows nearest to you, while the rest suffer lightning damage alone. Walk into the herd as you LF and as the pack tightens, consider switching to CS to pick them off.

Inventory Tips
Having the strategy is well and good, but there are nuances that may not bother the javazon who is accustomed to SP and might want to try this out.
Space - keep a 2 x 4 inventory space open in your stash as far as possible. This may seem excessive, but because a 4 OS Ethereal
Thresher
sells for a
Vex
, and bases drop from cows quite often, I assume you have no intention of missing out on these. I assure you, the poachers will not overlook Grey names like
Archon Plate
Mage Plate
Cryptic Axe
Giant Thresher
as well.
Maintenance - between packs, CHECK. You may have inadvertently picked up pots,
Arrows
Bolts
and the like. The last thing you want is for something good to drop, and you being able to click first - only to make it dance. FYI, poachers run these lands with an empty pack. They have no reason to carry skillers or any form of charms. There is no Parasite +1 GC.

Afterword
If you have read this far, congratulations! You've learned the painful lesson I did, minus the school fees I paid. The above strategies are by no means 100%, but they have served me well so far. At time of writing, this author has killed 2 poachers against walls, and 5 poachers inside
The Cow King
's sty. I look forward to many more.

Ohm
Ist

Happy Javing, and Death to all Poachers.

BillyMaysed 2185Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
MarcWizard wrote: 2 years ago
This really made me laugh, also thanks for the guide xD.

I have edited it to be more readable and removed the poachers names to avoid any witch-hunting, we don't allow that here. :)

Wow, who hurt you??
fun read though :-)
OP
FanciestCrab wrote: 2 years ago
Wow, who hurt you??
fun read though :-)
I named them, but they have been protected. It is frustrating but I do understand the logic.
OP
BillyMaysed wrote: 2 years ago
This really made me laugh, also thanks for the guide xD.

I have edited it to be more readable and removed the poachers names to avoid any witch-hunting, we don't allow that here. :)
Understandable. In that case I will leave the epitaph sans names.

Sorceress Americas PC
Ohm
Ist
RIP

Deleted User 632 0

awesome guide. love it.

Deleted User 632 0

lol. weird bug. shows old posts as recently posted. maybe some kinda bug related to when billy took over my posts?

Teebling 5806Admin

Europe PC
Udyret wrote: 2 years ago
lol. weird bug. shows old posts as recently posted. maybe some kinda bug related to when billy took over my posts?
It's because OP bumps this thread every day, so it updates the last post timestamp :P

Deleted User 632 0

Teebling wrote: 2 years ago
It's because OP bumps this thread every day, so it updates the last post timestamp :P
ah good to know. i was also getting some old quotes in the notification box. not to day. is that some similar thing?
OP
Teebling wrote: 2 years ago
ah good to know. i was also getting some old quotes in the notification box. not to day. is that some similar thing?
yea when someone bumps a sale thread that i posted an offer for 3 days ago it changes my offer timestamp to 15 minutes ago and then it looks like I offered it just.

Sorceress Americas PC
thats probably if someone bumps a thread and that last comment quoted you itll resend the notification.

Lol love this guide, early in my d2r javazon experience a poacher stole a
Ber
. Death to the infidels!

Asha 343

Sorceress Europe PC
I once entered the cow game almost farmed out, so i walked to collect some gems at least. Found an
Ohm
under a poppable Stone 🙂 who needs poachin then?
this was great ty.

I've seen these people with my blizz sorc.

wtf are they doing. they really come into cows and don't attack anything. Not even underleveled....just no weapons. maybe some wiz spikes to speed up their Hocking.

Funny I do the same thing as mentioned above.. Just stop attacking cows once you are good and surrounded...
Teleport
away and teach the gremlin a lesson.

cheers brah.
Last bumped by MarcWizard 2 years ago.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...