Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
8 replies   5877 views

Modding binaries/TCPIP through modding reinstated in Resurrected? [Blue Post]

No data yet

Description

Blizzard wrote:
...a form of modding will still be possible. Players will have the ability to modify specific files which include adjusting values of skills, items, and more. However, keep in mind the Classic client of Diablo II will still exist and that is not going away. Multiplayer mods will still be able to exist and thrive on that platform by our community there.
^ From their latest dev update

Can anyone make sense of this? By reminding us that the original game rests underneath, are they saying that full binary modding will be permitted?

Or are they saying that there will be limitations? If so, seeing as the full post was in the context of TCP/IP support, could they be suggesting that this feature is allowed through modding?
Description by Teebling

Can be used to make Runewords:

Teebling 5807Admin

Europe PC
Blizzard wrote:
...a form of modding will still be possible. Players will have the ability to modify specific files which include adjusting values of skills, items, and more. However, keep in mind the Classic client of Diablo II will still exist and that is not going away. Multiplayer mods will still be able to exist and thrive on that platform by our community there.
^ From their latest dev update

Can anyone make sense of this? By reminding us that the original game rests underneath, are they saying that full binary modding will be permitted?

Or are they saying that there will be limitations? If so, seeing as the full post was in the context of TCP/IP support, could they be suggesting that this feature is allowed through modding?

I interpret that as saying, "If you want mods that interact with the client binary, you can also go play Diablo 2 classic. We aren't going to shut that down".

Deleted User 632 0

looks to me like multiplayer mods like path of diablo, project diablo etc. will now only exist on original diablo 2. and no longer on resurrected.
The only mod I ever used was plugy, and D2R is basically plugy, but with some well defined constraints for stash, which arguably Plugy needed. I can honestly say that I have no desire to use mods, because I've always been a purist at heart. Don't really mod any games. I tried Skyrim mods once, but it feels wrong and unbalanced to use any content that wasn't part of the original vision of the developers.

I get that some people love mods, though. You guys shouldn't kid yourselves though when it comes to this game being entirely cracked wide open within the first month. Clearly the modding community exists; they will find a way.
Hopefully they change their stance on the subject after release...

Beardozer 442Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Udyret wrote: 2 years ago
looks to me like multiplayer mods like path of diablo, project diablo etc. will now only exist on original diablo 2. and no longer on resurrected.
I read the statement differently. You seem to interpret their mention of the original game client as a statement of mods only working on the original client. And they probably only do work on the existing original game client, because they were written for it. But I think they are nodding towards being able to create new ones for the new version of the game. I think they are just mentioning that the original game client still exists because (as far as I know) the original WC3 game client was removed during the WC3:r debacle. I think they're just mentioning that the original D2 client remains in case people want to keep playing old mods like the current PD2, for example. They do mention being able to modify the D2:R game files.

So instead of:

"no mods for D2R, if you want to mod D2 go play the original version"

I read their statement as:

"you can modify D2R and create custom game modes like Project D2, and if you still want to play the original & modified original version of D2 then it will still be available as well."
Blizzard wrote:
Despite this change, a form of modding will still be possible. Players will have the ability to modify specific files which include adjusting values of skills, items, and more.
The change they're talking about is lack of TCP/IP multiplayer support. Wasn't the TCP/IP mode for players connecting directly to each other's computers instead of a central server like battle.net? If this is the case, it sounds like a game modder would still be able to stand up their own server, like the current Project D2 server. I think that's how you'd play a modded game, similar to how its done today. You just wouldn't be able to direct-dial a friend's computer and bypass a central game server somewhere.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
Seegon wrote: 2 years ago
It may be necessary to disable TCP / IP only for the first time to fight piracy. After the first waves of sales, a patch may be released to bring TCP / IP back into the game.

Perhaps the modification of the Alpha version from Fareb played a cruel joke and without her everything would have turned out differently?

Qpd 6

Paladin Europe PC
Seegon wrote: 2 years ago
I hope so to. The game needs this.
Krythic wrote: 2 years ago
The only mod I ever used was plugy, and D2R is basically plugy, but with some well defined constraints for stash, which arguably Plugy needed. I can honestly say that I have no desire to use mods, because I've always been a purist at heart. Don't really mod any games. I tried Skyrim mods once, but it feels wrong and unbalanced to use any content that wasn't part of the original vision of the developers.

I get that some people love mods, though. You guys shouldn't kid yourselves though when it comes to this game being entirely cracked wide open within the first month. Clearly the modding community exists; they will find a way.
Thank You!! Me to, like I love mods and seeing what people make games but ultimately I just want to play in the confines of what was intended. I am happy with that, but damn I needed a bigger stash thank you plugy!

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation