Ber
from
Chaos Sanctuary
... I've invested some time there.
After that, got a
Zod
from
Lord De Seis
or one of his minions - didn’t even realize it properly at first, because this time I "just played" the game.
Second
Sur
... I don't know where it came from anymore - Meph
Council Member
maybe or a chest in Act 2.
Second
Zod
from
Nihlathak
Area 3 from a Ghost - thought wtf,
Zod
used to be super rare!?

No
Um
Mal
Ist
Vex
Ohm
(!)

After that I grinded
Chaos Sanctuary
for hours without a good rune drop.
Logged out as Sorc and played one game with Paladin -> Third
Sur
Rune from Diablo.

After that a
Vex
from High Council with my Barb.

Most of the time I spent with the Sorc, but the best runes came from the Paladin (no Enigma) where i just have played.

I played Diablo 2 from the beginning, until around 2012 I would estimate - and back then I never found a high rune.
Probably it is really just random with an increased drop chance compared to before.

But the best were the drops where you don't think about it ;-)
If you're looking for High Runes the trick is killing constant density. Obviously the higher amount of players the more runes that drop, but if you're not killing at decent speed then you're gimping yourself for rune chances. Most of my HRs have come from the White mobs in cows and Chaos, I've gotten 3
Jah
, 1
Ber
, 4
Cham
, 2
Ohm
, 2
Sur
, 1
Lo
, 3
Vex
, and many more lower HRs. Sometimes you get stuck in a dry streak for a week or two and you just got to keep farming your way out of it.
I play roughly 15-20 hours a week since launch. I've found a
Lo
from a random poppable in LK, a
Gul
in durance lvl 3, and a
Vex
in
Stony Field
off a random enemy.

I don't tele much because doing so means you miss many opportunities to kill uniques. Also found a
Shako
from Pindle and another from Diablo. Those have been my best drops to date. 300 mf. Single player online.
Act 3 has worked for me., specifically
Flayer Jungle
and
Spider Forest
. So many fetishes in particular. One dropped a
Zod
, another a
Ber
. I don't know what their drop chances are, but there's so many of them, and they're easy to kill with decent enough gear even with alot of people in game, which in turn allows for a lot of chances over time
LeoCarstein wrote: 2 years ago
So ligically speaking spending 15h/week on farming "MF gear" to get let's say an
Ist
to
Gul
value is rather not impressing. In comparison on average you need 6h on Chaos/Travi/Cows to get a HR. I wanted to test it out. For the last week and a half done a barb and went to travi. Made ~600 Travi Runs for my goal - Enigma. Got
Cham
Ohm
Sur
Lo
Ber
and a few lower runes like
Mal
Um
's,
Pul
's and 4-5 of
Ko
Lum
and a
Fal
. So in term's of making value it's about constantly doing spots that have a high chance of getting you runes: Travi (for barb horker) , CS, Cows,
Arcane Sanctuary
(Ghosts) and
Lower Kurast
on high player games. Luck is of course still a factor but on average you have much higher chances to get the runes there.
You got insanely lucky, congrats on those rune finds. Apart from people running bots, luck is always the biggest component. You do need to run the odds, but that's not enough unless you have infinite stamina.

Based on p1 drop rates it should take you around 3800 Trav runs including horking to find a
Ber
from the High Council. Presuming that you are referring to
Lo
as baseline when you say HR, finding a
Lo
should still take like 2800 runs at p1 with horking.

I'm too lazy to think through the cumulative odds, but thankfully some intrepid people have done so already.

This guy calculated the number of Trav runs to find
Sur
-value of runes. Not a
Sur
+ rune, but just reaching that value in cumulative rune finds ---> https://libredd.it/r/diablo2/comments/p ... ing_guide/ He calculated it as 713 runs without horking, and 401 runs with horking.

The other person had many interesting calculations, including odds for lower rune finds and approximate runs/time to build an Enigma just by finding and cubing runes: https://www.purediablo.com/forums/threa ... guide.149/

They found:
Drop rates for 55% hork barb on p3
Pul
-
Cham
: ~117 runs
Um
-
Cham
: ~148 runs
Vex
-
Cham
: ~358 runs
and also, figuring that you'd cube Surs up to Bers,
Area:
Travincal
p3
Character: sorceress
- for barbarian 55% hork divide numbers of runs by 1.597, and for 56% hork divide by 1.608
Average runs to cube/farm
Ber
: ~3162 runs
Average run-time and time needed to farm
Ber
:
26s: ~22.8h
22s: ~19.3h
18s: ~15.8h
Which is still 2000-ish runs for horker barb.

So altogether your prediction of "6h on Chaos/Travi/Cows to get a HR" is unsupportably optimistic, and even if it wasn't your Trav results are still way better than average. You can't get away from spending the time of course to make things like Enigma, but you had to spend far less time than would be anticipated and that's luck. Consider that for every person like you who found those runes within 600 runs, there are others who will take much longer than average to find them. It's entirely possible for people to do several thousand runs and still not have their Engima.
Short:
Just play the game, the fun char the fun build your favorite area and forget about drops and probabilities.. :-)

Long:
Its actually (bad)luck and i cant even tell if its the moment you create the game or the char or the timing or a combination of everything.
Currently i have a barb 91, sorc 91, jav 87, smiter 90.
On my sorc i found 3x
Lo
and some random lower runes.
On the Barb 1x
Ber
, 1xZod, 2xOhm (which is insane in my opinion)
AND on my Javazon (doing a lot of cow runs) i found 0 YES ZERO HR so far.

So what iam trying to say is. Don't search for the "holy grail" area/method whatever. Because there is none. Just do what you enjoy. If you try to force you to do stuff it will feel like work and you might get disappointed quickly.

What every method/area you do, just enjoy and the drops will come when fortuna wants it. :D
Sekraan wrote: 2 years ago
LeoCarstein wrote: 2 years ago
So ligically speaking spending 15h/week on farming "MF gear" to get let's say an
Ist
to
Gul
value is rather not impressing. In comparison on average you need 6h on Chaos/Travi/Cows to get a HR. I wanted to test it out. For the last week and a half done a barb and went to travi. Made ~600 Travi Runs for my goal - Enigma. Got
Cham
Ohm
Sur
Lo
Ber
and a few lower runes like
Mal
Um
's,
Pul
's and 4-5 of
Ko
Lum
and a
Fal
. So in term's of making value it's about constantly doing spots that have a high chance of getting you runes: Travi (for barb horker) , CS, Cows,
Arcane Sanctuary
(Ghosts) and
Lower Kurast
on high player games. Luck is of course still a factor but on average you have much higher chances to get the runes there.
You got insanely lucky, congrats on those rune finds. Apart from people running bots, luck is always the biggest component. You do need to run the odds, but that's not enough unless you have infinite stamina.

Based on p1 drop rates it should take you around 3800 Trav runs including horking to find a
Ber
from the High Council. Presuming that you are referring to
Lo
as baseline when you say HR, finding a
Lo
should still take like 2800 runs at p1 with horking.

I'm too lazy to think through the cumulative odds, but thankfully some intrepid people have done so already.

This guy calculated the number of Trav runs to find
Sur
-value of runes. Not a
Sur
+ rune, but just reaching that value in cumulative rune finds ---> https://libredd.it/r/diablo2/comments/p ... ing_guide/ He calculated it as 713 runs without horking, and 401 runs with horking.

The other person had many interesting calculations, including odds for lower rune finds and approximate runs/time to build an Enigma just by finding and cubing runes: https://www.purediablo.com/forums/threa ... guide.149/

They found:
Drop rates for 55% hork barb on p3
Pul
-
Cham
: ~117 runs
Um
-
Cham
: ~148 runs
Vex
-
Cham
: ~358 runs
and also, figuring that you'd cube Surs up to Bers,
Area:
Travincal
p3
Character: sorceress
- for barbarian 55% hork divide numbers of runs by 1.597, and for 56% hork divide by 1.608
Average runs to cube/farm
Ber
: ~3162 runs
Average run-time and time needed to farm
Ber
:
26s: ~22.8h
22s: ~19.3h
18s: ~15.8h
Which is still 2000-ish runs for horker barb.

So altogether your prediction of "6h on Chaos/Travi/Cows to get a HR" is unsupportably optimistic, and even if it wasn't your Trav results are still way better than average. You can't get away from spending the time of course to make things like Enigma, but you had to spend far less time than would be anticipated and that's luck. Consider that for every person like you who found those runes within 600 runs, there are others who will take much longer than average to find them. It's entirely possible for people to do several thousand runs and still not have their Engima.
Stuff like this is the issue with this games community. New players are coming into the game thinking their games broken because they didn't farm Enigma first week.

I'm not blaming you, but just the excessive and obsessive need to act like a statistical analyst for everything. Just play the game, find a build you enjoy and you'll eventually find runes and items over time.

I can almost guarantee those numbers are outdated anyway, found considerably more during d2r than I ever did in lod And even if the numbers are the same it's just dumb luck which will always be the case so stop overthinking it and trying to gauge people's luck based off of these numbers online and just play the game.
snakk0r wrote: 2 years ago
Short:
Just play the game, the fun char the fun build your favorite area and forget about drops and probabilities.. :-)

Long:
Its actually (bad)luck and i cant even tell if its the moment you create the game or the char or the timing or a combination of everything.
Currently i have a barb 91, sorc 91, jav 87, smiter 90.
On my sorc i found 3x
Lo
and some random lower runes.
On the Barb 1x
Ber
, 1xZod, 2xOhm (which is insane in my opinion)
AND on my Javazon (doing a lot of cow runs) i found 0 YES ZERO HR so far.

So what iam trying to say is. Don't search for the "holy grail" area/method whatever. Because there is none. Just do what you enjoy. If you try to force you to do stuff it will feel like work and you might get disappointed quickly.

What every method/area you do, just enjoy and the drops will come when fortuna wants it. :D
Can't agree more.
People need to stop trying to play the game in some optimized fashion that they saw some guy do on YouTube.

He plays the game FOR A LIVING and does 100 straight cow runs for CONTENT so I don't get why players Pidgeon hole themselves into doing boring mundane runs endlessly because they saw someone drop a
Ber
doing it. The person was probably livestreaming for 10 hours straight before it happened.

Just play the game the way you enjoy and stop trying to find some stupid get rich fast scheme and you'd have so much more fun.
kevdrogo wrote: 2 years ago
Stuff like this is the issue with this games community. New players are coming into the game thinking their games broken because they didn't farm Enigma first week.

I'm not blaming you, but just the excessive and obsessive need to act like a statistical analyst for everything. Just play the game, find a build you enjoy and you'll eventually find runes and items over time.

I can almost guarantee those numbers are outdated anyway, found considerably more during d2r than I ever did in lod And even if the numbers are the same it's just dumb luck which will always be the case so stop overthinking it and trying to gauge people's luck based off of these numbers online and just play the game.
I think we're pretty much in agreement. The only reason I went digging through the numbers was to provide context to - and refute, if we're being honest - the other poster's insinuation that luck is a small component whilst simultaneously sharing their unbelievable string of luck.

There are certain areas to target if you want particular items. For runes, just find areas that can drop the ones you're interested in and play whatever suits you.

People's perceptions get skewed by posts talking about finding multiple bers, surs, etc. Meanwhile the huge corpus of people who found diddly squat aren't making similar posts.

The odds of finding HRs are similar to lotteries. Our brains aren't equipped to comprehend probabilities at that scale, so we fill in more flattering explanations to rationalize why some people found a ton of stuff and others didn't. Effort is a piece of it, but dumb luck is by far the largest ingredient.

On a side note, I do disagree with your dismissive take of statistical analysis. For some that's part of the fun! My fondest memories of classic D2 are of building my future character on paper, plotting out the stat points and skills, researching what might work, building theories. It's a fulfilling side game of its own. An unfortunate downside is that newer players seeking to optimize will latch on to that type of work and perhaps miss out on enjoying the full experience. But don't hate on the stats nerds for that!

I think we're pretty much in agreement. The only reason I went digging through the numbers was to provide context to - and refute, if we're being honest - the other poster's insinuation that luck is a small component whilst simultaneously sharing their unbelievable string of luck.

There are certain areas to target if you want particular items. For runes, just find areas that can drop the ones you're interested in and play whatever suits you.

People's perceptions get skewed by posts talking about finding multiple bers, surs, etc. Meanwhile the huge corpus of people who found diddly squat aren't making similar posts.

The odds of finding HRs are similar to lotteries. Our brains aren't equipped to comprehend probabilities at that scale, so we fill in more flattering explanations to rationalize why some people found a ton of stuff and others didn't. Effort is a piece of it, but dumb luck is by far the largest ingredient.

On a side note, I do disagree with your dismissive take of statistical analysis. For some that's part of the fun! My fondest memories of classic D2 are of building my future character on paper, plotting out the stat points and skills, researching what might work, building theories. It's a fulfilling side game of its own. An unfortunate downside is that newer players seeking to optimize will latch on to that type of work and perhaps miss out on enjoying the full experience. But don't hate on the stats nerds for that!
I agree with you on your latter point as well. I was being much too blunt about it, but it was more so directed at the OP and others asking the 'what am I doing wrong' questions.

This being coupled with streamers and online content pushing people to believe that this is the ONLY way to play the game is what's bothersome to me, that's all!

It'd just be nice to have new players come into the game and be able to enjoy it and learn at their own pace without feeling like they've somehow failed at a game by not living up to some standards for how fast you're supposed to get geared.

Also really have to add I don't think I've ever found so much intelligent discussion on a forum in a long time.
Maybe all of the returning D2 players makes for a mature crowd, idk.
Beeker88 wrote: 2 years ago
-countless cow runs
Got a
Cham
from a cow yesterday.
I can admit that I also enjoy theorycrafting, and actually even more that the gameplay itself. I do with with full knowledge that I'll probably never get the perfect items for those theoretical build.
This being coupled with streamers and online content pushing people to believe that this is the ONLY way to play the game is what's bothersome to me, that's all!

It'd just be nice to have new players come into the game and be able to enjoy it and learn at their own pace without feeling like they've somehow failed at a game by not living up to some standards for how fast you're supposed to get geared.
This. How can a new player enjoy the game, if virtually all sources claim that the only "correct" builds are MF sorc (with mandatory Infinity), smiter for UT (only for UT - it sucks for general gameplay) and hammer (with mandatory Enigma)? The amount of what we know today (and the ease of getting such information) is indeed overwhelming.

The players evolved - now we have the perfect knowledge about the game (just look at the fine technical details gathered by the Amazon Basin) - but the game not at all. After 1.11 (2005 !) there were no significant gameplay changes, and no new challenges. New players have a steep learning curve to climb.
Hey! I guess more people in party could be helpful, cause it would decrease amount of mobs who rolled as NoDrop mobs. So if there is more mobs which can drop something and less no-drops, your chances to get a HR are higher.

I was playing about 8-10 hours a day (lol) for last 3 weeks and get only
Lo
rune when was in party with my friend.

Then I started playing games where are a lot of people and got some
Mal
Um
Pul
Lem
and other runes.

Try to have more people in lobby and go to location where you can find a lot of mobs.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...