Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
23 replies   869 views

Do Iron Golem (Metalgrid/Oath) worth for some serious build 🤔?

No data yet

Description

I imagine that there are some cool/funny ideas about builds that use
Metalgrid
/Oath on non-necromancers to have access to an
Iron Golem
ally (OK 👍)

But is there a serious build that can become better by changing his amulet/weapon for a
Metalgrid
/Oath to have an
Iron Golem
from a specific item?🤔🤔
(Supposing that the item cost is not a problem and you have no problem to keep the golem alive and close - if needed)

The possible candidates that crossed my mind would be:

- an attack build sacrificing his weapon/amulet to have a L20
Concentration
or L9
Fanaticism
from a Pride/Beast
Iron Golem
But on https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/ a Fury Druid would still deal more damage with
Highlord's Wrath
+ Breath of the Dying...

- a fire/lightning/cold build that could have
Lower Resist
and
Conviction
at the same time using Plague + Infinity (one with Merc and one with
Iron Golem
).
But on https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner a
Fissure
Druid would still deal more damage - versus Diablo - using Heart of the Oak + 2 skill amulet + Infinity Merc...
Description by fredkid

Can be used to make Runewords:

I imagine that there are some cool/funny ideas about builds that use
Metalgrid
/Oath on non-necromancers to have access to an
Iron Golem
ally (OK 👍)

But is there a serious build that can become better by changing his amulet/weapon for a
Metalgrid
/Oath to have an
Iron Golem
from a specific item?🤔🤔
(Supposing that the item cost is not a problem and you have no problem to keep the golem alive and close - if needed)

The possible candidates that crossed my mind would be:

- an attack build sacrificing his weapon/amulet to have a L20
Concentration
or L9
Fanaticism
from a Pride/Beast
Iron Golem
But on https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/ a Fury Druid would still deal more damage with
Highlord's Wrath
+ Breath of the Dying...

- a fire/lightning/cold build that could have
Lower Resist
and
Conviction
at the same time using Plague + Infinity (one with Merc and one with
Iron Golem
).
But on https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner a
Fissure
Druid would still deal more damage - versus Diablo - using Heart of the Oak + 2 skill amulet + Infinity Merc...

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18:00-21:00), weekends (09:00 - 21:00)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion
I'm afraid that if such a build was viable, we'd see such charactrs on BN and plenty of fanpages and fora (including this one) would have a guide about it. But there are none.

Also, players were hesitant to experiment and risk losing expensive aura-providing items, since non-native IG was bugged and fixed only in Patch 2.5.
OP
Trang Oul wrote: 3 weeks ago
I'm afraid that if such a build was viable, we'd see such charactrs on BN and plenty of fanpages and fora (including this one) would have a guide about it. But there are none.
I thought the same...

So hard to give up Mara/highlord/caster amu for metagrid.
Same for Oath, Grief is so op.

Relax and have fun!
The best golem is a level 22 one from
Metalgrid
, the other ones are even weaker (Stone level 16, Oath level 17).

This golem has 980 base life, a whopping attack rating of 80 and no resistances. It is worse than one
Skeleton
warrior of a skilled necromancers army.

You will loose this golem sooner or later. You may choose between a cheap item (that has no impact, most probably), or an expensive item, that you have to replace regularly.

Sadly, all of those item-based summons are quite useless in more dangerous areas. The one exception is Peace. A level 15
Valkyrie
is a more capable tank, and doesn't poof when you swap gear. But it's a mess to get her summoned with builds that would need her service, and Peace itself is a total waste for all characters that aren't amazon.

ElSolDolLol

For low items I also accept: Perfect Amys,
Ral
Hel
, Tokens, Keys. Please don't offer runes lower than
Pul
(with the named exceptions).

NO PM OFFERS PLEASE! BE FAIR AND WRITE INTO THE THREAD :)
OP
Correction (2024-08-23): Stone has
Clay Golem
charges, not
Iron Golem
😣

----

I know that those
Iron Golem
from charges are easy to kill...
And even that they weren't, in practice, you still have another problem that is to keep resonably close to the Golem to have the aura (or skill trigger) effect...

But my question is if, disconsidering those problems, would exist any item that you could use to create an
Iron Golem
that would be better than your regular BIS weapon/amulet (or body - forgot about Stone.... but what chances any item have against Enigma 😛)

Seem like there is no such item...
DasNarf wrote: 3 weeks ago
The best golem is a level 22 one from
Metalgrid
, the other ones are even weaker (Stone level 16, Oath level 17).

This golem has 980 base life, a whopping attack rating of 80 and no resistances. It is worse than one
Skeleton
warrior of a skilled necromancers army.

You will loose this golem sooner or later. You may choose between a cheap item (that has no impact, most probably), or an expensive item, that you have to replace regularly.

Sadly, all of those item-based summons are quite useless in more dangerous areas. The one exception is Peace. A level 15
Valkyrie
is a more capable tank, and doesn't poof when you swap gear. But it's a mess to get her summoned with builds that would need her service, and Peace itself is a total waste for all characters that aren't amazon.

It seems like Hustle in a weapon could be a decent use case, but the Golem would be so fragile that it would be all but useless. HOWEVER, I could see a Summon Necro sticking one hard point in
Iron Golem
and investing in
Golem Mastery
+
Summon Resist
as normal, and using the slvl 22 charges to summon a slightly better (i.e. higher defense)
Iron Golem
than his +Skills allows.

All trades are Switch only :)

Active most nights on Switch (Friend Code: 8500-1494-0819) from 0200-0500 UTC+00:00

Thank you 2.4 for making all of my wildest dreams come true!
OP
Hustle gives L1
Fanaticism
, Beast gives L9
Fanaticism
😉
But Beast
Iron Golem
was not enough for you to replace Weapon or Amulet on some tests that I did on https://maxroll.gg/d2/d2planner/ ....

Note: I tested Hustle with my Merc and the radius is VERY short, on my regular play I almost never got the effect... May work only if you are melee character and tele-walk 🤔
Aelanwyr wrote: 3 weeks ago
It seems like Hustle in a weapon could be a decent use case, but the Golem would be so fragile that it would be all but useless.

OP
Cleaver idea 👍
But I don't know what level the game actually use to create the golem when you start a new game - your own level or
Metalgrid
- and maybe the choice don't depend on how the Golem was originally created 🤔🤔🤔

Anyway many endgame summoners have a lot of +skill and don't need trick to reach L22, specially if you are willing to change equipment before exit (my necro has L23
Iron Golem
with his standard equipment and only 1 hard point).
Aelanwyr wrote: 3 weeks ago
HOWEVER, I could see a Summon Necro sticking one hard point in
Iron Golem
and investing in
Golem Mastery
+
Summon Resist
as normal, and using the slvl 22 charges to summon a slightly better (i.e. higher defense)
Iron Golem
than his +Skills allows.

Schnorki 3698Moderator

PC
There's a fair number of builds that would have their on-paper performance improved at least somewhat by dropping their neck (usually) for an IG with a fitting aura. Mind you, you generally don't want to just go "drop neck for
Metalgrid
, summon golem, done" but rather replace some other items at the same time, in order to make better use of said golem. Even more so when looking at something like a Beast golem that completely changes your IAS breakpoints.

That said, the emphasis is typically on "on-paper", simply because said IG is beyond annoying to keep alive, thanks to no mastery/res. Especially when you're talking about melee builds and generally builds without
Teleport
. Even with tele and ranged though, the second you have to waste your time repositioning that golem to keep him alive is when you typically lose all gain in clear speed the golem had provided up until that point and end up taking just as long, if not longer, and being more annoyed as you do so.
And that's not yet considering the repeated loss of benefit from constantly out-ranging your golem's aura (more or less annoying/impactful, depending on the exact aura/range).

d2jsp 90

PC

Good day to you partner!
I'm Saul Goodman and I can already tell that I'll be your best friend in this forsaken camp. 🏴‍☠️
OP
While a Insight
Iron Golem
may be a good "quality of life" improvement (I myself swap Spirit shield for Phoenix shield with my Javazon for similar reasons 😉)
Most people will prefer use mana potions from time to time and keep a +2/3 skill amulet (maybe with fcr)

With my
Chain Lightning
Sorceress when I swap Merc weapon from Insight to Infinity, I was afraid of having mana issues... But in practice I rarely need mana potions (very few times needed two potions in the same run)

Necrarch 1977Moderator

Necromancer Europe PC
I think the point for the sorc proposed is that it's an immortal one, so basing on
Energy Shield
. Those sorcs LOVE Insight as their mana pool is their life. Putting Insight, cheap runeword, on the IG allows to free merc slot for something else : Act 5 merc, Act 2 with Infi or Obedience...

Main: Necromancer / Second: Assassin / Third: Amazon / Check my stash, my crafts and my many cheap
Annihilus
OP
You are right, and that's really a good ideia if you not going lightning (or don't want self use Infinity...)

Didn't realize that 🤦‍♂️, because the build posted do not have points on
Energy Shield
😓... (Didn't notice
Prayer
and Cure on Merc... never saw the Cure + Insight +
Prayer
combo out of a
Energy Shield
build before🤔)
Necrarch wrote: 3 weeks ago
I think the point for the sorc proposed is that it's an immortal one, so basing on
Energy Shield
. Those sorcs LOVE Insight as their mana pool is their life. Putting Insight, cheap runeword, on the IG allows to free merc slot for something else : Act 5 merc, Act 2 with Infi or Obedience...

I use
Metalgrid
on a lot of my builds.
Not really for the
Iron Golem
though, it's more of a side affect.

Paired with
Nature's Peace
ring, the golem can be quite nice on p1 up until
Pandemonium Fortress
on hell difficulty.

All depends what you want.

(Enchantress makes very good use out of it.)

Oaths golem is useless though as the second you swap weapons your going to regret it.
Also the Stone runeword is excellent on a Fury druid for the golem charges. With a maxed
Oak Sage
the thing barely takes a scratch.
OP

OP
Correction (2024-08-23): Stone has
Clay Golem
charges, not
Iron Golem
😣

----
BoringTitle wrote: 2 weeks ago
Also the sto e runeword is excellent on a Fury druid for the golem charges. With a maxed
Oak Sage
What do you use with the
Iron Golem
?
Pride or Beast?
(Have to do the calculations 🧮 but maybe Fortitude or Treachery will gave more DPS than Stone +
Iron Golem
🤔🤔 )

OP
(in special if
Iron Golem
is the main reason to use
Oak Sage
instead of
Heart of Wolverine
)

fredkid wrote: 2 weeks ago
BoringTitle wrote: 2 weeks ago
Also the sto e runeword is excellent on a Fury druid for the golem charges. With a maxed
Oak Sage
What do you use with the
Iron Golem
?
Pride or Beast?
(Have to do the calculations 🧮 but maybe Fortitude or Treachery will gave more DPS than Stone +
Iron Golem
🤔🤔 )
Beast on a proper necro, with
Metalgrid
I pull a Bilbo Baggins and just use whatever I have in my pockets at the time. (Often Insight). I just treat it as any other disposable minion.

Iron Golem
is immune to poison and resists lightning 50% not spectacular, but worth taking into account. Also, pairs well with
Oak Sage
from Nature's gift. Thought that thing dies all too frequently.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...