Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
20 replies   2333 views

Description

What base do I put Death in? I have a low quality 5os pb but I feel like I should take advantage of the indestructibility

Can be used to make Runewords:

What base do I put Death in? I have a low quality 5os pb but I feel like I should take advantage of the indestructibility
most certenly not in low quality. i would say etherial and superior if u can afford or u have

Image...ladder also
if online, contact me via bn chat for fast trade or negotiations after placing reply here.
If u need help with SCNL "Socket" quest, ubers or waypoints, feel free to contact me. Will gladly help.
I think
Eth
Berserker Axe
is the gold standard.
Eth
Ettin Axe
is good and for barbs
Eth
Colossus Blade
is good also. You definitely want a good
Eth
base
so
Phase Blade
is very mediocre.

Check my profile for other trades!
OP
turbojami666 wrote: 1 year ago
I think
Eth
Berserker Axe
is the gold standard.
Eth
Ettin Axe
is good and for barbs
Eth
Colossus Blade
is good also. You definitely want a good
Eth
base
so
Phase Blade
is very mediocre.
If I use an
Axe
then I'm committed to
Axe Mastery
, right? So what do I put my Grief into?
OP
Alright so that base is wayy too expensive. What about a Grief (or two)? What's the ideal bases for them?
Akoto wrote: 1 year ago
Alright so that base is wayy too expensive. What about a Grief (or two)? What's the ideal bases for them?
I'd say
Phase Blade
is a safe bet.
OP
ALLEyezOnMe wrote: 1 year ago
I'd say
Phase Blade
is a safe bet.
For the Grief? I happen to have a pb but isn't there something better?

Schnorki 3150Moderator

PC
ALLEyezOnMe wrote: 1 year ago
I'd say
Phase Blade
is a safe bet.
For the Grief? I happen to have a pb but isn't there something better?
Something like 98 out of 100 (random guesstimate) Grief are rolled in a
Phase Blade
. And for good reason.
Not only are they indestructible (which Grief sadly doesn't give you itself) but their attack speed is insanely good.

Since Grief gets its damage via a flat +dmg and not the otherwise typical %enhanced damage, the base weapon damage matters very little and you're all about convenience and attack speed with it. Personally, I would never roll a Grief in anything other than a
Phase Blade
OP
^Awesome thanks
Could you state what you want to use the Death for? And what your current equipment is?

On workdays I am generally available for trade from 19:00 CET to 23:00 CET. Weekends variable.
DON'T ADD ME ON BNET WITHOUT POSTING HERE! I WILL NOT ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS FROM STRANGERS.
On the other hand, add me after you bid ;)
The Problem is the speed of the CB.

Stand and fight
Live by your heart
Always one more try
I'm not afraid to die
Stand and fight
Say what you feel
Born with a heart of Steel
OP
Verband wrote: 1 year ago
Could you state what you want to use the Death for? And what your current equipment is?
It's for my new
Frenzy
barb. Currents Fortitude,
Raven Frost
, arreats. That's about it.

Sean 32

Barbarian Americas PC
Grief is typically made into either a
Phase Blade
or
Berserker Axe
. Most other eligible bases are too slow. As Schnorki said, Grief has a +X flat damage bonus as opposed to proportional +X% enhanced damage, so you want a fast base to make the most out of it. An anti-perfect +340 Grief is still about as good as +1000% enhanced damage on a
Phase Blade

Phase blades are seen as the better pve weapon due to their indestructibility, and berserker axes are seen as the better pvp weapon due to their longer reach. Extra range on a
Berserker Axe
is more relevant for a
Whirlwind
barbarian, because wider AOE will make it easier to clip enemy players who are trying to avoid you. Since they have low maximum durability, fast attacks like
Frenzy
or
Whirlwind
will break a
Berserker Axe
very quickly. This is more of a pve thing, because you can kill most enemy players in several hits.

Grief for
Frenzy
may also work in a
War Spike
, but it will have less resale value than a
Berserker Axe

Death grants indestructibility, so your base for that runeword must be ethereal in order to get as much damage out of it as possible. A mid-tier +350% ED Death in an ethereal base will do as much damage as a non-ethereal base would if it had +575% ED. Phase blades cannot ever be ethereal due to always being indestructible, so you would want to use a different base if you're specialized into swords.

I do not ever recommend using a low quality base for runewords. Superior weapon bases will not improve your damage by an appreciable amount, but they will increase the repair cost by a factor of maybe 10. They're seen as more of a status symbol, and normal or normal-ethereal bases are sufficient.

You should check attack speed calculators like: https://warren1001.github.io/IAS_Calculator/ thoroughly to choose runeword bases that will give you the best possible damage over time.

Schnorki 3150Moderator

PC
It's for my new
Frenzy
Raven Frost
In that case, if you wanna go for Death still, I'd go with a Grief pb in the main hand and an
Eth
Death col sword in the offhand.
MH/OH is important because
Frenzy
only takes the ias from the MH so you want that to be Grief.

The base speed is averaged out across both weapons. So a col.
Blade
would leave you with lower IAS requirements but you can reach the wanted breakpoints with either, in which case a col. sword gives you slightly higher dmg.

More specifically, if you hit lvl 28
Frenzy
(which should be easy enough, that's done with merely arreat's, anni and a torch) and manage to snag a 40 IAS Grief, then all you need for max attack speed with a col. sword is 35 more IAS (e.g. highlord's and an ias jewel in arreat's). By contrast, if you go with a c.
Blade
, you still need 30 more so that's still something like highlord's and a jewel or highlord's and a 10ias item elsewhere. So for most builds, it won't be a noticeable difference in gearing to hit it with one or the other, making a c. sword the better choice for the higher dmg.
Additional skill points act to basically allow you to go for a lower IAS Grief (or 10ias with a c sword, rather than a jewel). 3 more for example (say highlord's,
Battle Command
and a bk ring) lower your IAS need beyond Grief from 35 to 32 (or you're down to needing a 37 ias Grief instead). If you get to lvl 36 total, you hit max IAS at +30 already.

Disclaimer: Numbers taken from maxroll, if they're off, blame them. :P

Disclaimer #2: Max speed above refers to hitting max attack speed with
Frenzy
stacked. You won't have max attack speed without stacks up so try not to lot them drop too often. Even with a
Phase Blade
for Death, you won't hit max speed at 0 stacks (though you will hit it much, MUCH sooner) - so some ramp-up is always there.
It's for my new
Frenzy
Raven Frost
I'd go
Colossus Sword
then. You need exactly 40 ias to get to 5.5 fpa with
Colossus Sword
in your right hand (left weapon slot) and
Phase Blade
in your left hand (right weapon slot) if you have
Frenzy
level 27.
ias on right weapon slot does not count, thus Grief ias does not matter.
Simply wear
Highlord's Wrath
and
Laying of Hands

And you need to reequip your Death each time you join a game or swap your weapon :/

On workdays I am generally available for trade from 19:00 CET to 23:00 CET. Weekends variable.
DON'T ADD ME ON BNET WITHOUT POSTING HERE! I WILL NOT ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS FROM STRANGERS.
OP
Thanks for your help everyone. The thing I've learned about Death is that the base is really expensive.

I feel (and tell me otherwise) that 2x Grief would be a fair bit cheaper.
Thanks for your help everyone. The thing I've learned about Death is that the base is really expensive.

I feel (and tell me otherwise) that 2x Grief would be a fair bit cheaper.
?????

OP
^Haha I was still thinking of the
Eth
Berserker Axe

yeah those are pretty cheap
deleted :)

Stand and fight
Live by your heart
Always one more try
I'm not afraid to die
Stand and fight
Say what you feel