Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
7 replies   2869 views

Description

Hey guys! Recently i started D2 again, played online for the first time (btw thanks to the awesome people here for the trades!!!) and finally finished Hell!

I am trying to make my build a little better. My goal is not the best possible damage by itself, but an all around character who can pretty much do everything. Move around fast, be a little tanky, have a little MF, kill fast. It's not that i complain with my barb, but i think there is room for improvement without farming for months, and since i am a noob i got many many questions. So my current build is:

Azurewrath

Lightsabre

Arreat's Face

Duriel's Shell

String of Ears
(8/15)
Crafted
Gauntlets
: 5 LL, 9CB, 10 Life, 26LR, 27FR
Goblin Toe

Highlord's Wrath

Raven Frost
(20/227)
Yellow Ring: 94 AR, 3LL, 25 Life, 10LR, 30PR

Got 213 Strength, 227 Dexterity, 298 Vitality (3200 Life), And full resists unbuffed. My charms (besides 3 uniques with good rolls) are mostly FWR because i just can't stand slow moving when not under
Frenzy
XD

Sooo i got a GG
Arreat's Face
. I made the mistake of improving it and now it asks for 196 Strength. I cannot equip it.

Question 1: Do i need to have 196 Base strength or unbuffed without a helmet? (my current Arreat's gives +20 str so i hope it's that).

Question 2: Is FHR at all relevant for a
Frenzy
barb? I read in a guide "it's irrelevant because
Frenzy
cannot be interrupted".

Question 3: Are my
Gauntlets
GG? I was used to using
Venom Grip
for long and now this just seems divine, it does pretty much everything!

Question 4: With 3200 Life and maybe some +1 items increasing BO even more considered, wouldn't it be a waste adding even more vitality instead of Strength?

Question 5: I am at 9.900 attack rating buffed. What would be a good number to stay relevant for all content?

Second form: As for immediate improvements, i am considering to pay for some socket quests and do the following, please give me your feedback!

Azurewrath
-> socket with ???
Lightsaber -> switch with Death
Arreat's Face
-> switch with the upped one then socket with ???
Duriel's Shell
-> socket with ???
String of Ears
(8/15) -> Keep
Crafted
Gauntlets
: 5 LL, 9CB, 10 Life, 26LR, 27LR -> Keep
Goblin Toe
-> Switch with
Gore Rider
since Death has tons CB
Highlord's Wrath
-> Keep
Raven Frost
(20/227) -> Keep
Yellow Ring: 94 AR, 3LL, 25 Life, 10LR, 30PR -> ???

Request 6: Fill the blanks please :P or give alternatives :) Especially for the ring

Question 7: I just love symmetrical looks and have a liking for Phase Blades. Death might be my favorite runeword and not unreachable with my budget. What do i lose if i put it on a
Phase Blade
instead of a
Colossus Sword
/
Blade
?

(Almost) Final form:

Azurewrath
-> keeping for anti-Undead Aura and diversified (non-physical) damage
Death Sword
Arreat's Face

Enigma
String of Ears
(8/15)
Crafted
Gauntlets
-> ???
Gore Rider

Highlord's Wrath

Raven Frost
(20/227)
Yellow Ring-> Bul Kathos ???

So this is what i consider for my mid term-goal gear. Enigma solves all my mobility, strength and MF issues. Then i will tweak between MF, attack rating, max damage, +skills, and resists i might lose with charms.

Question 8: Any other ideas not including Grief?

Thanks a lot in advance guys!
Description by corvus4

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hey guys! Recently i started D2 again, played online for the first time (btw thanks to the awesome people here for the trades!!!) and finally finished Hell!

I am trying to make my build a little better. My goal is not the best possible damage by itself, but an all around character who can pretty much do everything. Move around fast, be a little tanky, have a little MF, kill fast. It's not that i complain with my barb, but i think there is room for improvement without farming for months, and since i am a noob i got many many questions. So my current build is:

Azurewrath

Lightsabre

Arreat's Face

Duriel's Shell

String of Ears
(8/15)
Crafted
Gauntlets
: 5 LL, 9CB, 10 Life, 26LR, 27FR
Goblin Toe

Highlord's Wrath

Raven Frost
(20/227)
Yellow Ring: 94 AR, 3LL, 25 Life, 10LR, 30PR

Got 213 Strength, 227 Dexterity, 298 Vitality (3200 Life), And full resists unbuffed. My charms (besides 3 uniques with good rolls) are mostly FWR because i just can't stand slow moving when not under
Frenzy
XD

Sooo i got a GG
Arreat's Face
. I made the mistake of improving it and now it asks for 196 Strength. I cannot equip it.

Question 1: Do i need to have 196 Base strength or unbuffed without a helmet? (my current Arreat's gives +20 str so i hope it's that).

Question 2: Is FHR at all relevant for a
Frenzy
barb? I read in a guide "it's irrelevant because
Frenzy
cannot be interrupted".

Question 3: Are my
Gauntlets
GG? I was used to using
Venom Grip
for long and now this just seems divine, it does pretty much everything!

Question 4: With 3200 Life and maybe some +1 items increasing BO even more considered, wouldn't it be a waste adding even more vitality instead of Strength?

Question 5: I am at 9.900 attack rating buffed. What would be a good number to stay relevant for all content?

Second form: As for immediate improvements, i am considering to pay for some socket quests and do the following, please give me your feedback!

Azurewrath
-> socket with ???
Lightsaber -> switch with Death
Arreat's Face
-> switch with the upped one then socket with ???
Duriel's Shell
-> socket with ???
String of Ears
(8/15) -> Keep
Crafted
Gauntlets
: 5 LL, 9CB, 10 Life, 26LR, 27LR -> Keep
Goblin Toe
-> Switch with
Gore Rider
since Death has tons CB
Highlord's Wrath
-> Keep
Raven Frost
(20/227) -> Keep
Yellow Ring: 94 AR, 3LL, 25 Life, 10LR, 30PR -> ???

Request 6: Fill the blanks please :P or give alternatives :) Especially for the ring

Question 7: I just love symmetrical looks and have a liking for Phase Blades. Death might be my favorite runeword and not unreachable with my budget. What do i lose if i put it on a
Phase Blade
instead of a
Colossus Sword
/
Blade
?

(Almost) Final form:

Azurewrath
-> keeping for anti-Undead Aura and diversified (non-physical) damage
Death Sword
Arreat's Face

Enigma
String of Ears
(8/15)
Crafted
Gauntlets
-> ???
Gore Rider

Highlord's Wrath

Raven Frost
(20/227)
Yellow Ring-> Bul Kathos ???

So this is what i consider for my mid term-goal gear. Enigma solves all my mobility, strength and MF issues. Then i will tweak between MF, attack rating, max damage, +skills, and resists i might lose with charms.

Question 8: Any other ideas not including Grief?

Thanks a lot in advance guys!
For Q1, whatever gets you to the 196 is, I believe, acceptable. So, if you want to get there via strength charms just temporarily, that is valid. Also, don't feel like more into strength is a waste. I know all the "guides" say "Strength for you gear then everything else goes into Vita or you will die instantly and be sad". Not quite that temperamental, and strength helps with damage, and therefore life, because enemies can't attack you when they are dead!

Gloves are one of those things that are dependent on what you want to do. I saw a "guide" once that said
Chance Guards
was BiS for a barb. Really? Chancies? I ran a pair of Soul Drainers for a bit, and now Steelrends for pure DPS and they work well for my trav horker.

I'll let others with more barb experience weigh in on the gearing. I did the cheesy 2x Grief+Fortitude
Sacred Armor
+all the other gear is pretty much moot gearing option.

Schnorki 3353Moderator

PC
Q1: You need to hit 196 strength with your base str + str from other gear combined, not counting the 20 from arreat's itself (you get those only after being able to equip it, pushing you to 216 with it).

Q2: I would say yes but not vital. Mainly because it helps if/when you get hit as you move from target to target. After all, single target melee means you do move a lot (added up) between kills.

Q3: Personally, I'd prefer something like
Steelrend
for the combination of CB and dmg (or drac's if you need the
Life Tap
to survive aka if you want to run ubers as well) but yours certainly aren't bad.

Q4: Yes and no. More life never hurts but it really isn't all that important if you already have 3k+. At the same time, only a little added strength doesn't do that much as it merely additively throws on extra ED on top of your other off-weap ED. Full str though..that'd be a different story. :)

Q5: If "all" includes Ubers, as much as you can possibly get. For everything else, honestly, around 10k is perfectly sufficient. More will of course help especially on bosses (I believe 10k was something around 70ish % hit chance on dia?) but considering how fast you attack with
Frenzy
, you'll still get enough hits in as is to both, stay alive and kill your target.

Q6: Do you want to run ubers? If not, then I personally would say get a Grief, a Fort and a
Raven Frost
to cover your dmg and anti-freeze needs and then you can use basically every other item slot and socket to get a bit of leech, MF and comfortably
Cap
your res. Anything outside of ubers doesn't really take all that much dmg-focused gear to steamroll. If you do want ubers though, add dracs as well, drop azure for Kingslayer or similar for extra CB and go for something like angelic to max out your AR. Generally speaking though, there's plenty of viable variations to make a
Frenzy
barb work very well.

Q7: Phase is baller for speed but fails in terms of base damage. Not only because it starts out a bit low but also because they cannot be ethereal and hence never get that 50% bonus. Because of that, phase blades are much better suited to things that add damage independent of base dmg (Grief) or things that you use primarily for the procs (Kingslayer, Death, ..).

Q8: Especially if you're going for Enigma, get 2 HotOs as your 2nd weapon set. They're not only the best solution in terms of +skills for your
Shout
(well, debateable..CTA+HotO offers +1 more to BO but costs you +2 to
Shout
for it) but they give you fairly respectable
Teleport
speed at the same time.

Just my tired last-minute-before-going-to-bed thoughts. :D

___
If you want to add me on b.net, please message me here first. Random unexpected invites will be declined.
OP
Thanks so much for all the replies! I will not actively go after Ubers (maybe just once for the fun of it) so i got a nice direction on how to proceed.

Specifically for Death, would you think that the proc of a
Phase Blade
is not so important considering the lack of base strength? Like "30% less overall damage because of this silly choice"?
I can't help you on the
Phase Blade
. I did dual Colossus Swords for my Grief for the base damage on them. But, I might have been myopic. The PB has the attack speed, and doesn't have repair costs, which can get quite high. There are times when I get done with
Charsi
and think, "well, that was $250k well spent...".

Regarding your ammy, Highlords is a good, strong choice. But, I will say consider
Atma's Scarab
. You miss out on the +1 skill, BUT the Amp damage proc makes things interesting. For a fast attacking
Frenzy
barb, you get that proc decently often, and it will break the physical immunes. I use it on my strafazon with great results. Highlords is likely overall better, but
Atma
's is something to consider if you find yourself not quite where you want to be or are tired of dealing with the physical immunes.
Before I had Grief, I enjoyed
Lightsabre
/ Lawbringer for the dual
Phase Blade
look on my
Frenzy
barb. You'll get
Decrepify
for physical immunes and
Sanctuary Aura
to leech undead. I did
Lightsabre
over
Azurewrath
because of the mana leech.

Eventually I upgraded to Oath / Lawbringer and then Grief / Lawbringer. Then respec to Berzerk once I got Enigma.

Before Enigma I was wearing
Tal Rasha's Guardianship
w/ a p
Topaz
for easy mf + res, highly recommended.

For gloves
Laying of Hands
is amazing vs demons, I really felt the difference. Hope that helps!
As a cheap option I would recommend to look for
The Grandfather
sword. I even prefer it more than Grief, use it in second weapon slot, just classy weapon with solid damage and also it gives + to all attributes and additional AR.
I've been having fun doing this one.

First tester I did was Static
Frenzy
, Schaefer hammer and
Stormlash
. Put a
Shael
in both ( Should have got
Eth
Stormlash
) not bad aside from repairing
Stormlash
. Great for initial flurry but slowed down after they stopped receiving static reduction. Second tester was Freezing
Frenzy
, Voice of Reason and a Rift. Wow this was crap, every single Ice orb proc my barb stopped swinging....
Numbers looked great on paper in reality worst decision ever. Took longer finding a 4os
Caduceus
than I spent on barb. Third build tried was Oath to
Frenzy
. X2
Eth
Scourge
Oaths ( Know who keeps 4os
Eth
Scourges ? No one that's who. ) Decent damage and clear speed, not too great not too bad very mediocre. Really not much to say about it besides its very average in all aspects. Fourth and current build I'm testing, Flaming
Frenzy
. Hand of Justice and Pheonix Scourges maybe with a Dragon armor. Most of these can be used in a PB I just choose Scourges because no one uses em.

Xbox GT: Cinomed541 add me if you need someone to play with.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...