Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
7 replies   2921 views

Description

I’ve been using a Crescent Moon
Phase Blade
on my Tesladin with Grief on switch for light immunes - but I’m wondering if a 4x 5/5 Light Facet +
Zod
Ethereal Runemaster could be better?

Is there a calculator for this? What would be stronger? -35% Enemy Light Res or -20% Light Res and +20% Light Skill Damage?
Description by sonnytai331

Can be used to make Runewords:

I’ve been using a Crescent Moon
Phase Blade
on my Tesladin with Grief on switch for light immunes - but I’m wondering if a 4x 5/5 Light Facet +
Zod
Ethereal Runemaster could be better?

Is there a calculator for this? What would be stronger? -35% Enemy Light Res or -20% Light Res and +20% Light Skill Damage?
a model scenario:

enemy with 50LR
you deal 1-1000 light

to 50LR without anything you deal 1-500
to 15LR 1-850
to 30LR and +20% 1-840

On a paladin they are equivalent mostly, on a sorceress the +5% light damage is mostly worthless (because of
Lightning Mastery
), she should care only about - resists.

Cost of 4x light facet is ~
Jah
and
Zod
is expensive too.

If you get a PM offer, post it in the trade. Promote healthy competition instead of settling for less. ;)
Depends how much res the monster has.

A rule of thumb is that at 50% res, then minus 5% res results in a roughly 10% increase in effective damage (twice as effective as +skill%). Exact ratio is 0.5 divided by 0.45, and hopefully that makes sense.

At 0 res, minus res is equivalent to +skill%.

At 95 res, minus 5 res would DOUBLE your damage. Ratio is 0.10 / 0.05

You would notice minus res most against champs, uniques, and bosses, since they often have higher res than most normal monsters.

EDIT: if focusing on lightning damage (Grief on switch for immunes), I’d stick with Crescent Moon.
Static Field
is OP and you need speed.

Schnorki 3163Moderator

PC
The short answer is "it depends". On the remainder of your gear and the targets on your route that is.

If all you have is base damage (say 100 for the sake of easy math) and all your targets have 0 resistance, then dmg and -res are effectively the same. 5% dmg would yield 105 total. And -5 res would cause your 100 dmg to do 5% amplified dmg due to the -5 res, resulting also in 105 total.

Now, if you don't just have base lightning damage but already have things that give you +%dmg, things shift because further +%dmg would be added to the existing and not work multiplicatively while -res would still work the same. So say you have 10% +dmg already, then you're at 110. Add 5% dmg now and you get to 115 (+15% onto the base 100). If you now get -5 res though, you do 115.5 effective damage (105% * 110 dmg). So the more %dmg you already have, the further it shifts towards favoring -res. The same concept works in the opposite direction as well.

And to then make it a bit more complicated for you, you also need to look at the resistance of your target mobs. If they're at 0 resist, then -5% res would give you 5% more dmg. If they are at 50% res however, then you would normally do 50 dmg (100*0.5), with -5 res you'd end up doing 55 instead (100*0.55) as their resist is down to 45%. That's suddenly a relative increase of 10%. I.e. the higher your target's resistances are, the more it again shifts in favor of -res. At the same time, if you are running an Infinity merc or are running your own
Conviction
or something, it shifts in the opposite direction as you've already got -85 res from his aura or even more from yours. Also keep in mind that you can't drop mobs below -100 res so if you're already there due to a high lvl
Conviction
, further -res is entirely useless on pretty much any mob except ones with immunities you just broke.

The answer hence sadly isn't quite as simple as "-res is better" or "+dmg is better". It really depends on your build, gear and farming route.
OP
Thanks all.

I have a
Zod
already (although I'm loath to spend it since it's self-found and a souvenir) and I have enough "money" to afford to make this
Axe
if I really wanted to.

Just wanted to know if it was going to be worth it.

I run organic
Conviction
(Level 25) and there are already monsters in Chaos whose immunes I can't break, so I'm guessing switching to such an
Axe
would make things worse.
moonlit wrote: 2 years ago

A rule of thumb is that at 50% res, then minus 5% res results in a roughly 10% increase in effective damage (twice as effective as +skill%). Exact ratio is 0.5 divided by 0.45, and hopefully that makes sense.

You would notice minus res most against champs, uniques, and bosses, since they often have higher res than most normal monsters.

EDIT: if focusing on lightning damage (Grief on switch for immunes), I’d stick with Crescent Moon.
Static Field
Hello,

with +skill% you mean something like
Lightning Mastery
I assume?

So the statement is when a monster reaches 0% resistances minus enemy resistances and % damage are equal?
So from 0% to -100%?

What is the value of the flat damage you get from plus skills or other sources of flat damage?
Where can you find the calculations that tell you what gives you more damage?

For example, a
Nova
sorceress who already reaches -97 enemy minus resistances with Infinity and griffons?
When wearing a Sunder charm would it make more sense to invest in skill level?
Atmicinclusion wrote: 3 months ago
moonlit wrote: 2 years ago

Static Field
Hello,

with +skill% you mean something like
Lightning Mastery
I assume?

So the statement is when a monster reaches 0% resistances minus enemy resistances and % damage are equal?
So from 0% to -100%?

What is the value of the flat damage you get from plus skills or other sources of flat damage?
Where can you find the calculations that tell you what gives you more damage?

For example, a
Nova
sorceress who already reaches -97 enemy minus resistances with Infinity and griffons?
When wearing a Sunder charm would it make more sense to invest in skill level?
I think it just means that when you have +400% lit skill damage from
Lightning Mastery
, -res is more important than having +405% lit skill damage.
Should be added that +%dmg is most effective on Cold Sorc as her mastery provides -Res and not +% Dmg like fire and lightning do. +5%dmg/-3% res Cold RBF are not that expensive and realy worth it on a cold build.

Post ur offer before adding me. No PM. Only add me if u offer bin/lf. No reply after 3 days=offer rejected
No socketing service. No offer lower than
Lem
please.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...