Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
17 replies   3027 views

Description

https://imgur.com/a/ONubLvb

First D2R HC Death :( time to reroll this weekend!

Sorry for the quality - Just found the first tools I could find to convert to GIF :) Was a good distraction from the pain.

EDIT: Replaced with less potato quality video
Description by Teebling

Can be used to make Runewords:

https://imgur.com/a/ONubLvb

First D2R HC Death :( time to reroll this weekend!

Sorry for the quality - Just found the first tools I could find to convert to GIF :) Was a good distraction from the pain.

EDIT: Replaced with less potato quality video

LockeDown
Hardcore PC Ladder
My condolences :(

My first and last HC char in OG D2 died at lvl 7 .... feel a lil better now ? :)
OP
Voyager2k10 wrote: 2 years ago
My condolences :(

My first and last HC char in OG D2 died at lvl 7 .... feel a lil better now ? :)
Thanks much appreciated!

At least I died due to my own fault vs some lag or waypoint load delay.

I was really hoping to last out until ladder but Magdalena version 2 will hopefully come out much stronger!

LockeDown
Hardcore PC Ladder
My first was two weeks ago or so, my lvl 64 necro. I feel your pain. And I empathize with the validation of those inescapable consequences we embrace as hardcore. Once I get rolling on my replacement character, I always feel a solidarity with every character who has come before and been a conduit for my hopes and struggles.

Next time, lvl 99. You'll do it.

Deleted User 2817 0

Solid run to get to 85. I'm playing SC now but imagine I'll transition to HC soon enough. Chasing the Dragon like I did as a kid all those years ago.
I have nothing but respect for your attitude, Locke. The test of an HC player is not rolling an HC character. Anyone can do that and many do. They feel the excitement, the thrill of the risk, which is only natural.

However, that first Death, especially once you have levelled and gotten some decent drops you're pleased with - that's the test. Knowing how that feels, will you do the same again? Will you make the same choices?

I remember years ago, a father posting in an HC forum about playing HC D2 with his kid. Hew wanted to teach his son about responsibility and acceptance of the fact that actions have consequences. Real accountability. D2 HC proved to be a fun way to do that and bonding to boot.

HC has many pitfalls, but one of the best metaphors for how to succeed is an old comparison I heard years ago from a gambler friend of mine. He said he liked betting on college ball more than pro ball because when college team win big they are big men on campus for a time and get complacent. Odds are next game they will land hard.

This applies well to HC. Find an amazing drop, feeling well geared, over levelled for the area... in a word : invincible. That's the most dangerous moment.

Aaaaanyway .... I don't actually have much of a point beyond my respect for your chin up attitude and hopefully you'll forgive my rambling HC gospel according to Inethil. ;)

Peace.
OP
Inethil wrote: 2 years ago
I have nothing but respect for your attitude, Locke. The test of an HC player is not rolling an HC character. Anyone can do that and many do. They feel the excitement, the thrill of the risk, which is only natural.

However, that first Death, especially once you have levelled and gotten some decent drops you're pleased with - that's the test. Knowing how that feels, will you do the same again? Will you make the same choices?

I remember years ago, a father posting in an HC forum about playing HC D2 with his kid. Hew wanted to teach his son about responsibility and acceptance of the fact that actions have consequences. Real accountability. D2 HC proved to be a fun way to do that and bonding to boot.

HC has many pitfalls, but one of the best metaphors for how to succeed is an old comparison I heard years ago from a gambler friend of mine. He said he liked betting on college ball more than pro ball because when college team win big they are big men on campus for a time and get complacent. Odds are next game they will land hard.

This applies well to HC. Find an amazing drop, feeling well geared, over levelled for the area... in a word : invincible. That's the most dangerous moment.

Aaaaanyway .... I don't actually have much of a point beyond my respect for your chin up attitude and hopefully you'll forgive my rambling HC gospel according to Inethil. ;)

Peace.
Some great words!

D2 hardcore is the only game that really gives me that thrill / excitement / feeling of accomplishment working my way through Hell. I love the journey and each attempt I take makes it that much more exciting.

It's not my first hardcore Death but I always try to learn from it each time this happens. My first HC Death was playing via POD mod and the servers were about to restart and I just killed
Blood Raven
in Hell with ease. I figured I could rush tele to the waypoint for Stony Fields but teleported right into
Rakanishu
. Next was a Paladin I tried to rush before the same season was ending and ran up to a Death Knight elite that 1 shot me in the face.

This time I made the mistake of feeling to comfortable in higher MF gear with little to no resistance in the catacombs for Andy runs.

I also need to start wasting my Full Rejuvenation Potions -- I was running low for a while but ironically started getting a lot the past couple runs but I was being to stingy not using it. I usually stay a safe distance and have my merc do the tanking and use the heals on him. Nothing worse then seeing purple potions on your
Belt
on the Death screen :)

So this time around I will work on that and try not to be as risky when MFing and try to find some sturdier MF gear -- least something to keep me more survivable.

I was going to wait until this weekend to start a new HC sorc but I think I am just going to start it now before bed.

LockeDown
Hardcore PC Ladder
I have the same issue with potions. For some perverse reason (perverse because I have columns of every potion banked), I tend to be a bit conservative with them. I struggled to break myself of this habit as, after all, if I die then ... that saved potion is pretty irrelevant.

I love the point you make about learning from each mistake, each Death. My last Death was teleporting in Durance lvl 2 NM. In that 1.5 seconds it takes for your army to deploy (until then they are grouped atop you, providing no protection whatsoever) I was rushed by a group of champion dolls.

My lesson was simple. I do not, EVER,
Teleport
blind on HC unless I am completely confident of my destination. It differs when actually playing a sorc of course, but playing a necro with a
Teleport
staff in your switch is more ackward.
This is totally off topic and a little ... embarassingly nerdy, but that's what nerdy girls do.

When I make new characters in my mind they are somehow operating in a new dimension, without conscious knowledge of all the incarnations that have gone before, but ... kind of like the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mothers accessing all the female memories in their genetic line ... my new sorc/necro/etc is unconsciously standing on the shoulders of giants.

Yes, I have a very rich fantasy life. ;)

Stormlash 343Moderator

Paladin Europe PC
F

I know the pain all to well, back in D2 original I played paladin in HC, got to level 98, came drunk home one night and was like: Imma play some D2, can't remember a lot of it other than the headache in the morning, loggin in to D2 to find my Paladin dead as hell :')

~Your PC is so slow, even Jesus complains about the lag~
Hey hommie if you need help moving along let me know :) I can take you all the way through hell singing and laughing.
Remember the old Diablo 2 saying...

"Always, always, always, have 'cannot be frozen' on your gear somewhere"

I offer Uber Service, Rush Service and have many items for sale, Add me on battle.net | Hoost07#1211
OP
Inethil wrote: 2 years ago
This is totally off topic and a little ... embarassingly nerdy, but that's what nerdy girls do.

When I make new characters in my mind they are somehow operating in a new dimension, without conscious knowledge of all the incarnations that have gone before, but ... kind of like the Bene Gesserit Reverend Mothers accessing all the female memories in their genetic line ... my new sorc/necro/etc is unconsciously standing on the shoulders of giants.

Yes, I have a very rich fantasy life. ;)
Funny you should mention this.

I saw a post a while back on reddit discussing why some people enjoy playing Hardcore and somebody commented saying that they like to think of each HC character as a single story line with a beginning and end to their journey if they die.

I liked the idea however I am not good at coming up with new character names and I also tend to think of them as the same entity. Just a few days ago I was having this a similar discussion/thought in my head and decided maybe this is just a different parallel universe or timeline being experienced for this character at the start of the D2 story line. The greater storyline remains of course but they experience the adventure from start to finish slightly different.

Now with shared stash I guess they just stumble upon these items in their stash and have no idea how they got them but they do not question that.

I was actually planning to share this on this post today after work anyways but seeing your bonus post saying you do the same thing was pretty cool (PS Get out of my head haha jk).

LockeDown
Hardcore PC Ladder
OP
CapNCook wrote: 2 years ago
I know the pain all to well, back in D2 original I played paladin in HC, got to level 98, came drunk home one night and was like: Imma play some D2, can't remember a lot of it other than the headache in the morning, loggin in to D2 to find my Paladin dead as hell :')
Ha yeah this is why I never play my D2 Hardcore character when drinking. I save the drinking for HOTS with friends.

LockeDown
Hardcore PC Ladder
LockeDown wrote: 2 years ago
CapNCook wrote: 2 years ago
Ha yeah this is why I never play my D2 Hardcore character when drinking. I save the drinking for HOTS with friends.
Yeah I learned my lesson the hard way back than :p but now a days drinking and some R6 Siege goes pretty hand in hand

~Your PC is so slow, even Jesus complains about the lag~
Locke, lol, I hear you. Game's are at times somewhat bare, even beloved ones with rich Lore surrounding them, like this one. And perhaps that's what aids the immersion, that investment of imagination. As for hardcore, well ... better to have loved and lost, right?

Cap
, hell yeah that's a rule. Never play drunk or stoned. That's when to start a new funky character idea and tool around Act 1 or play some naughty card game. ;)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...