Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
4 replies   3396 views

Description

Since Ladder S1 began I've been testing out the changes made to
Leap Attack
in patch 2.4. I've mentioned this in other threads but I figured I'd make one dedicated to my findings. So, let's begin:

Changes in 2.4

Leap Attack
prior to 2.4 was pretty much just a basic movement skill for the Barb. If you leveled it up, it could do significant single-target damage, but there was really no point in doing this. With 2.4, the following was changed:
Blizzard wrote:
Leap Attack

Speed of the
Leap
motion increased by 75%
Leap Attack
now has a minimum jump height and duration
Damage baseline increased from 100% to 200%
Attack Rating baseline increased from 50% to 100%
Attack Rating per level increased from 15% to 20%
The Barbarian now deals extra physical damage to surrounding enemies within a range of 4.6 yards when landing from a
Leap Attack
. Damage scales per level – increased scaling compared to the PTR implementation
Leap
synergy bonus applies to the AoE damage in addition to the attack
Increased mana cost of
Leap Attack
from 9 to 10
Leap Attack
will be performed even when targeting adjacent enemies (used to perform a basic attack)

Looking at this, you may think "Oh these look like nice changes! Maybe I'll make a build around this!". I thought so too, until I did a week and a halfs worth of testing. This bit in particular intrigued me the most:
The Barbarian now deals extra physical damage to surrounding enemies within a range of 4.6 yards when landing from a
Leap Attack
. Damage scales per level – increased scaling compared to the PTR implementation
After some experimentation with 3 different sets of gear, here were my findings:

This build needs high FHR, CTB and FCR

While experimenting, I did both 1h/Shield and 2h setups with
Blade Mastery
and found that 1h/Shield with high FHR, CTB and FCR is much more viable. Because you're landing in a pack of mobs with no CC, you have to have a way to recover from any blows you take.

Even at high levels, Leap Attack's Splash Damage is still awful

I was able to get both
Leap
and
Leap Attack
anywhere from 30-35 and while it's single target damage ranged anywhere from 5K with a shield equipped to 17K 2H (using an
Eth
Breath of the Dying for example), it's small AoE damage caps out at just under 2K damage. Here's an example of this on my Barb I use to respec and tests builds with:

How can this be made viable?

Since
Leap Attack
now causes AoE, but no CC, adding some kind would benefit this greatly, as well as increasing that radius by .5% every 2 levels. For example, upon landing the Barbarian could
Stun
enemies next to him for 1-2 seconds. Or perhaps he could cast something like
Battle Cry
when landing that reduces the attack and defense of monsters. The splash damage increase per level should also be increased significantly.

Final Thoughts

I wanted so badly for this build to work. This is the only skill the Barb has besides
War Cry
that is considered AoE. Blizzard, if you happen to read this post (I highly doubt, but still praying regardless), please consider making these changes to
Leap Attack
for patch 2.5. You guys were headed in the right direction, but don't be afraid to make the Barb ... good. There are many out there that would greatly appreciate it.
Description by LuckyAce

Can be used to make Runewords:

Since Ladder S1 began I've been testing out the changes made to
Leap Attack
in patch 2.4. I've mentioned this in other threads but I figured I'd make one dedicated to my findings. So, let's begin:

Changes in 2.4

Leap Attack
prior to 2.4 was pretty much just a basic movement skill for the Barb. If you leveled it up, it could do significant single-target damage, but there was really no point in doing this. With 2.4, the following was changed:
Blizzard wrote:
Leap Attack

Speed of the
Leap
motion increased by 75%
Leap Attack
now has a minimum jump height and duration
Damage baseline increased from 100% to 200%
Attack Rating baseline increased from 50% to 100%
Attack Rating per level increased from 15% to 20%
Leap Attack
Leap
synergy bonus applies to the AoE damage in addition to the attack
Increased mana cost of
Leap Attack
from 9 to 10
Leap Attack
will be performed even when targeting adjacent enemies (used to perform a basic attack)

Looking at this, you may think "Oh these look like nice changes! Maybe I'll make a build around this!". I thought so too, until I did a week and a halfs worth of testing. This bit in particular intrigued me the most:
Leap Attack
After some experimentation with 3 different sets of gear, here were my findings:

This build needs high FHR, CTB and FCR

While experimenting, I did both 1h/Shield and 2h setups with
Blade Mastery
and found that 1h/Shield with high FHR, CTB and FCR is much more viable. Because you're landing in a pack of mobs with no CC, you have to have a way to recover from any blows you take.

Even at high levels, Leap Attack's Splash Damage is still awful

I was able to get both
Leap
and
Leap Attack
anywhere from 30-35 and while it's single target damage ranged anywhere from 5K with a shield equipped to 17K 2H (using an
Eth
Breath of the Dying for example), it's small AoE damage caps out at just under 2K damage. Here's an example of this on my Barb I use to respec and tests builds with:

How can this be made viable?

Since
Leap Attack
now causes AoE, but no CC, adding some kind would benefit this greatly, as well as increasing that radius by .5% every 2 levels. For example, upon landing the Barbarian could
Stun
enemies next to him for 1-2 seconds. Or perhaps he could cast something like
Battle Cry
when landing that reduces the attack and defense of monsters. The splash damage increase per level should also be increased significantly.

Final Thoughts

I wanted so badly for this build to work. This is the only skill the Barb has besides
War Cry
that is considered AoE. Blizzard, if you happen to read this post (I highly doubt, but still praying regardless), please consider making these changes to
Leap Attack
for patch 2.5. You guys were headed in the right direction, but don't be afraid to make the Barb ... good. There are many out there that would greatly appreciate it.

Deleted User 632 0

Spoiler
it does sound fun to play this build. i think i might try this one next. i'm guessing you just have a strong 2 handed weapon on swap for when shield is not needed.
OP
Udyret wrote: 2 years ago
Spoiler
it does sound fun to play this build. i think i might try this one next. i'm guessing you just have a strong 2 handed weapon on swap for when shield is not needed.
Yes, I recommend an
Eth
Breath of the Dying in a
Colossus Blade
😋. Swords are great and the most versatile weapon choice for this build.

I should mention that it DOES work in Hell, just … not in anything above players 4. Works great in Players 1. If enough people are interested, I’ll write a guide for it 😉

Deleted User 632 0

LuckyAce wrote: 2 years ago
Udyret wrote: 2 years ago
Spoiler
Yes, I recommend an
Eth
Breath of the Dying in a
Colossus Blade
😋. Swords are great and the most versatile weapon choice for this build.

I should mention that it DOES work in Hell, just … not in anything above players 4. Works great in Players 1. If enough people are interested, I’ll write a guide for it 😉
i don't think i will get Breath of the Dying. i'm mostly about leveling. i was thinking of using Insight on swap.

Deleted User 632 0

and maybe Obedience or Oath when i get to hell.
i think i will use this build. max
Leap Attack
and
Leap
, max
Polearm Mastery
, max
Find Potion
, rest in 1 point wonders and
Battle Orders
. skill calc

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation