Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
9 replies   6944 views

Description

I am a cold sorceress. I have this
Eth
Giant Thresher
, 6 socketed and I want to make BOTD. I look at the stats for this and it seems perfect for a merc, however I'd have to make Insight in armor because I really need the
Meditation
aura.

From what I read it seems like an inferior build and with such an expensive runeword and this
Thresher
, I don't want it to be a waste.

I'm hoping someone with more experience, that has used this runeword on a merc, can give me their opinion or point me in the right direction.

Can be used to make Runewords:

I am a cold sorceress. I have this
Eth
Giant Thresher
, 6 socketed and I want to make BOTD. I look at the stats for this and it seems perfect for a merc, however I'd have to make Insight in armor because I really need the
Meditation
aura.

From what I read it seems like an inferior build and with such an expensive runeword and this
Thresher
, I don't want it to be a waste.

I'm hoping someone with more experience, that has used this runeword on a merc, can give me their opinion or point me in the right direction.
Insight can only go in Polearms (and staves) so that might help you make a decision!
What do you mean by "have to make Insight in armor"? Insight is for polearms and staves only. I dont think that you need BOTD on your Merc then, if you claim that you need the
Meditation
aura.

You could try giving your Merc another Runeword first, such as Obedience, and see how you manage without the Insight on him? I find that for short,
Teleport
-driven runs such as Countess or
Key of Hate
runs, Insight barely provides any value for me. However,
Ancient Tunnels
runs would be very annoying without Insight, in my opinion.
OP
Ah thanks, for some reason I thought Insight could go in armor, that kills that idea. I have a good Fortitude I'd rather not give up anyway.

I went without Insight for a while on another build, I can make the adjustments if needed. I mean BOTD looks amazing to me on paper but from what I read, maybe it's not worth it.

Asha 343

Sorceress Europe PC
There is an even cheaper option: try armin your merc with good (probably ethereal) Reaper's Toll - he gets leech, adds
Decrepify
, cuts down cold-immunies - and you get more control, esp if merc got
Holy Freeze
. My sorc (fire+cold) still goes with such setup despite havin an Infinity. For mana concerns, make sure you have at least 1 hard point in
Warmth

Durok 11

PC
botd is kinda meh for the price.

if you just want dmg you go with Obedience. Reapers is also an option.

even
Eth
Insight is okish for dmg, just bad against bosses, but since sorc has no issues with bosses that wont matter.
ultimately you run Infinity of course
Honestly does merc damage even matter for AoE characters? Their single target
Spear
attack is kind of sad.

The merc has two jobs, tank and give the aura buff. I once tried to deck the merc out with MF gear like tals armor and
Shako
and whatnot, but their damage is so poor that even after I get a boss low, I lose patience waiting for the merc to try and kill it.
sonnytai331 wrote: 2 years ago
Honestly does merc damage even matter for AoE characters? Their single target
Spear
attack is kind of sad.

The merc has two jobs, tank and give the aura buff. I once tried to deck the merc out with MF gear like tals armor and
Shako
and whatnot, but their damage is so poor that even after I get a boss low, I lose patience waiting for the merc to try and kill it.
Merc attack is great for immunities your character can't handle itself. Act 2 might merc with good weapon works well. Even better if you equip with an elite ethereal weapon with good +damage.

Zelym 123

Paladin Europe PC
Cold sorc too here.
I wasn't satisfied with
Fireball
damage against cold immunes so around L91 I went full Blizzard, dumped my remaining points in
Warmth
and slapped an Obedience
Eth
Thresher
instead of Insight on my merc.
I never looked back. No mana problems whatsoever and watching
Oblivion Knight
die in a single
Jab
is the most satisfying feeling ever.
Zelym wrote: 2 years ago
Cold sorc too here.
I wasn't satisfied with
Fireball
damage against cold immunes so around L91 I went full Blizzard, dumped my remaining points in
Warmth
and slapped an Obedience
Eth
Thresher
instead of Insight on my merc.
I never looked back. No mana problems whatsoever and watching
Oblivion Knight
die in a single
Jab
is the most satisfying feeling ever.

This is the way.

100% cold sorc with decent merc can farm any area without issue. Spec'ing into fire feels like a waste of time.

I still use an Insight - with pretty good rolls, granted - and rarely get stalled dealing with cold immunes. Instead of putting points into
Warmth
I'm adding last few points (up to level 94) into
Frozen Orb
for yet more
Ice Blast
synergy, having maxed the others.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...