Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
28 replies   913 views

Description

So I really want Cannot be Frozen on my A2 merc. When that dude is frozen the attack speed is just super painful to watch. I am thinking, what is the more versatile helmet to do this with? Versatile in the sense that I can reuse this merc
Helm
for other classes/builds super effectively. Personally, I don't want to waste a
Cham
rune (which I haven't found yet anyway) on an
Andariel's Visage
due to the helmet's inherent fire resistance penalty. So, I am juggling between either punching a hole in
Guillaume's Face
or a
Vampire Gaze
(preferably ethereal variant but haven't found yet). Any thoughts from the community? Thanks as always.

Can be used to make Runewords:

So I really want Cannot be Frozen on my A2 merc. When that dude is frozen the attack speed is just super painful to watch. I am thinking, what is the more versatile helmet to do this with? Versatile in the sense that I can reuse this merc
Helm
Cham
Andariel's Visage
due to the helmet's inherent fire resistance penalty. So, I am juggling between either punching a hole in
Guillaume's Face
or a
Vampire Gaze
(preferably ethereal variant but haven't found yet). Any thoughts from the community? Thanks as always.
Kiras guardian
Tiara
is good cbf
Helm
with massive resist

Not
Helm
but Gladiators bane armor is great for merc. It has cannot be frozen mod as well

The best for surviability armor imo

Can trade on PC or SWITCH

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18:00-21:00), weekends (09:00 - 21:00)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion
ghostpos wrote: 1 month ago
Helm
Cham
Andariel's Visage
Guillaume's Face
or a
Vampire Gaze
To satisfy your requirements Hearth checks all boxes.

- You can use it at L35 with the most basic 3 OS base '
Mask
' for instance (iLvl41 - can be chanced in Normal Act5 or TZ with the appropriate leveled char.)
- Runes can easily be farmed in NM Tower
- Cold theme with 2 variables and a guaranteed CBF.
- Great twinking gear.

Offer if price is not stated

⊕ Join New Tristram Talk! ⊕

While the snow remains,
veiled in the haze of evening,
a cold leafless branch.
Flowers are only flowers because they fall,
but thankfully the Wind.
I mean, does it have to be head armour? What chest piece did you have in mind?

Either way, I second Kira, I guess. Just because it can drop at tragically. Makes it a fairly easy one to acquire.

Also, is 2 pieces with freeze duration 1/2 a thing?

Usually, try to rock
Duriel's Shell
myself.
https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Cannot_be_Frozen

Here's a list of all sources of cannot be frozen. Hope it helps.

ShadowHeart 2582Moderator

Europe PC
That site is not updated for D2R. For example, it does not include the rune words added by D2R, there's a new helmet rune word called Hearth (as mentioned by Skai) that has Cannot Be Frozen. There's in fact also another new rune word with CBF, called Metamorphosis, but that's only for Druid Pelts.

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.
Hearth ladder only though isn't it?
Lol, I still play Lod from time to.time myself. Gotta go with what I know best.

Lol, I was also going to suggest simply upping movement speed/attack speed on the Merc to.the point where being frozen doesn't matter.

Easier to do on some mercs rather than others.
ShadowHeart wrote: 1 month ago
That site is not updated for D2R. For example, it does not include the rune words added by D2R, there's a new helmet rune word called Hearth (as mentioned by Skai) that has Cannot Be Frozen. There's in fact also another new rune word with CBF, called Metamorphosis, but that's only for Druid Pelts.

Europe PC
BoringTitle wrote: 1 month ago
Yes, Hearth (and Metamorphosis as well, not that it matters for non-Druids) is ladder-only. They're both available offline as well, just not online non-ladder.

Oh yeah, these old classic D2/LoD sites are still relevant... for D2/LoD 😉

Gotta be careful though when looking up D2R things. Rune words have been added, skills have been changed (and not just numbers, some have had more impactful changes), mercs have had significant changes, and all the rune words that used to be ladder-only in LoD are now available on non-ladder in D2R (there's a long list of stuff that's still ladder-only in LoD as you know). People still sometimes get confused to this day when looking up rune words' non-ladder availability cause they find wikis and articles that were never updated for D2R 😅

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
Eh, I guess now that Hearth is outta the way we have all of the relevant cannot be frozen equipment outta the way and the OP is free to decide fornthemselves though.

I think that's the main thing here anyway. Don't really want to derail the topic.
Yes, Hearth (and Metamorphosis as well, not that it matters for non-Druids) is ladder-only. They're both available offline as well, just not online non-ladder.

Gotta be careful though when looking up D2R things. Rune words have been added, skills have been changed (and not just numbers, some have had more impactful changes), mercs have had significant changes, and all the rune words that used to be ladder-only in LoD are now available on non-ladder in D2R (there's a long list of stuff that's still ladder-only in LoD as you know). People still sometimes get confused to this day when looking up rune words' non-ladder availability cause they find wikis and articles that were never updated for D2R 😅
In your opinion though, would you agree that though impossible to specifically target farm that
Cham
is probably still the best possible option?

That's what i think anyway, opens up way more possibilities, despite its rarity and usefulness in a couple runeword.

Europe PC
In your opinion though, would you agree that though impossible to specifically target farm that
Cham
is probably still the best possible option?
Personally, I think
Duriel's Shell
is a great option. It has both resistances and CBF (and some other decent stats), and it's reasonably easy to find. But if the armor slot is reserved for something else (like Fortitude or Treachery), then
Cham
'ing a unique/set
Helm
is a good option too, at least if you can trade for it. Its rarity makes it hard to find on your own - it takes on average almost 2000 runs of The
Secret Cow Level
on Hell to find one
Cham
(on p1).

But I can make this easier for the OP - if he needs a
Cham
on non-ladder, he can have one for free.

What do you say, @ghostpos? :)

Schnorki 3686Moderator

PC
Assuming you aren't just talking about an interim solution but solid, top-end merc gear:

1) You typically want a merc to have some sort of life steal to stay alive with.

2) A2 mercs are generally aura sticks more than anything else. I.e. the weapon is dictated by your own build and more likely than not will not have life steal on it.

3) You still want your merc to perform in a fight which in turn usually leaves you with something like Fortitude as the armor and hence again no life steal.

4) You hence want to cover both, your life steal and your anti-freeze on your headpiece. You won't find a headpiece that has both innately and you can't socket life steal into helmets, meaning you will be socketing a
Cham
into a life steal headpiece.

Considering the better options available for that, you're left with a select few real choices, depending on preference:
-
Vampire Gaze
: The defensive choice. Just excellent.
-
Crown of Thieves
: Helmet of choice for your gold-find trav runner's merc.
-
Stealskull
: Helmet of choice for your MF char's merc. Also a solid more offensive choice if the 10 IAS happen to push your merc past another breakpoint.

Andariel
's pretty much disqualifies itself, thanks to the -fire res which remains the most dangerous thing for many a merc.

There's a few other life steal helmets out there but RWs won't get CBF socketed and the others just aren't as good by comparison. Honorable mention for
Tal
's
Mask
at this point I suppose which is certainly not bad by any means but since you shouldn't need the res beyond Fortitude, it also pales next to gaze.

Exceptions obviously apply, as always. Life-tap spamming smiter pallies for example don't necessarily need their merc to have his own life steal. Or you might be running one of the few builds that end up with life steal on their merc's weapon/armor.
The Amazon Basin is being updated to D2R. For example, here is the CBF page with all the sources.

Europe PC
Trang Oul wrote: 1 month ago
The Amazon Basin is being updated to D2R. For example, here is the CBF page with all the sources.
Yes, I know :) I was thinking of linking it, but I know that it's not available in all countries - they have completely blocked access from certain parts of the world. Plenty of our members have experienced problems accessing it due to this.

d2rppa69 wrote: 1 month ago
Kiras guardian
Tiara
is good cbf
Helm
with massive resist

Not
Helm
but
The Gladiator's Bane
armor is great for merc. It has cannot be frozen mod as well

The best for surviability armor imo
I was dropping in to comment this. Cannot be Frozen and a whole lot of flat DR/MDR makes it much better than the lack of resists would initially lead one to believe.

All trades are Switch only :)

Active most nights on Switch (Friend Code: 8500-1494-0819) from 0200-0500 UTC+00:00

Thank you 2.4 for making all of my wildest dreams come true!
While Cannot Be frozen is considered mandatory for attack builds, especially the melee ones.
(mainly obtained by using
Raven Frost
)
And I agree for those builds.

I never feel the need of Cannot Be frozen on my Mercs or on my caster characters 🤔🤔

And most of the guides seem to agree, as they normally do not include Cannot Be frozen equipment on the BIS setup for Merc or Casters.

If you really want, I would go with one of the uniques/sets that have natural Cannot Be frozen instead of spending a
Cham
(and maybe a
Larzuk
quest)

Time Zone: GMT-3
Online: workdays (18:00-21:00), weekends (09:00 - 21:00)
Non-Ladder | Softcore | Expansion
unless you're SF, just punch a hole and
Cham
it. if not, go gladiator's bane. it'd help if you posted your merc's gear and why you want to hire a2. if anything, consider thawing potions in a
Belt
slot.

Th3ory 535

Paladin Americas PC
If you really wanted to save on the hole punch and the
Cham
, consider Wisdom.

Yes, nearly all other stats will not apply from an A2 mercenary perspective, but you can start with Wisdom and then follow the guidelines of all prior posts.

You can get life leach from
Skin of the Flayed One
temporarily, and this armor can also roll ethereal for defensive benefits.

---

To be clear, I don't think you should necessarily prioritize Wisdom, but if that really is your primary fixation its far more affordable on a
Pul
;)

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...