Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
16 replies   2481 views

Description

I always struggle on making games in which I cow and others mf elsewhere. There will always be that dude who just doesn't care.

It just occurred to me today, If I leave the party- no one can enter my red portal right?
And, does this hurt my drop chance in any way? (Obviously improved drop chance from player proximity doesn't matter here, I want to farm alone)

Never saw anyone do this so I question myself.

Can be used to make Runewords:

I always struggle on making games in which I cow and others mf elsewhere. There will always be that dude who just doesn't care.

It just occurred to me today, If I leave the party- no one can enter my red portal right?
And, does this hurt my drop chance in any way? (Obviously improved drop chance from player proximity doesn't matter here, I want to farm alone)

Never saw anyone do this so I question myself.
i dont believe thats right. im pretty sure if you make a cow level in a public game ANYONE can go in. unfortunately your asking people to not do something in an online public game...people will do it just because you ask them not to

OP
Phins_up22 wrote: 1 year ago
i dont believe thats right. im pretty sure if you make a cow level in a public game ANYONE can go in. unfortunately your asking people to not do something in an online public game...people will do it just because you ask them not to
I once was hostile to someone and coulden't enter his cow portal. Don't know if it's because the hostile part or the non party part. Also, today I tried to enter a
Tristram
portal when the game host left the party. Couldn't. I'll have to test this...

Schnorki 3153Moderator

PC
It was indeed the hostile part.

The cow portal generally is a "public portal", much like
Anya
's portal to
Nihlathak's Temple
for example (any read portal really plus the blue ones created by portal shrines). Anyone can enter that, regardless of who opened it. Party or not.

If you are hostile with someone however, then you yourself cannot enter any portal other than your own, meaning you can no longer enter the cow level.

So basically, the only person you can prevent from entering the cow lvl is yourself (by going hostile with someone). Other than that, just create the portal somewhere off in a far corner to improve your odds of folks not spotting it and entering as a reflex.

Side note:
What's your game names? Are they clear enough in you cowing alone? From the (admittedly few) such games I entered, they seemed to work out decently well.
yes like schnorki said, try and put portal in some far corner of town or (depending on map you can put on end of long bridge out of town). In my experience if you want a private cow level in a public game, you need to hijack someones
Baal
game and do it there. If you tell someone your cowing and they cant, more often than not they will enter cows just because you told them not to lol

Well, since red portals are not restricted, you have to use other means to protect the level you just annexed. For example, you can play as Bone necromancer and just PK everyone you meet in cow level. Bone necros are great at farming cows, and also happen to be strong pvp chars.

Or the other method of pure fun: after entering cow level, seek Cow King and lure him and minions right under the red portal. That way people entering the portal will almost certainly be killed during their loading screen. Happy cancering xD

Schnorki 3153Moderator

PC
Putin wrote: 1 year ago
Well, since red portals are not restricted, you have to use other means to protect the level you just annexed. For example, you can play as Bone necromancer and just PK everyone you meet in cow level. Bone necros are great at farming cows, and also happen to be strong pvp chars.
Just curious, seeing how your portal disappears on going hostile and you can't enter the cow portal anymore, how exactly would you go about PKing them?

Unless of course you manage to be so irritating that people go hostile with you while you're in there and are then dumb enough to unhostile you to go back in. leaving them defenseless against you afterwards. But..let's not call that the norm. ;)

Khegan 376

or.houster wrote: 1 year ago
NoDrop chance won't go any higher than 62% for cows (same for most other plain enemies) if you're the only one in the game. If anything, having other players doing whatever else in your game can improve NoDrop (e.g., solo in P8 = 14%), but this makes newly-spawned cows harder to kill.
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
Just curious, seeing how your portal disappears on going hostile and you can't enter the cow portal anymore, how exactly would you go about PKing them?
That's something I remember from some legacy LoD patch, maybe not possible nowadays. But at least the second method should work fairly well with D2R huge loading times.
OP
It's a shame. Thought I found something after I couldn't enter that
Tristram
portal(no hostile players)
Schnorki wrote: 1 year ago
It was indeed the hostile part.

The cow portal generally is a "public portal", much like
Anya
's portal to
Nihlathak's Temple
for example (any read portal really plus the blue ones created by portal shrines). Anyone can enter that, regardless of who opened it. Party or not.

If you are hostile with someone however, then you yourself cannot enter any portal other than your own, meaning you can no longer enter the cow level.

So basically, the only person you can prevent from entering the cow lvl is yourself (by going hostile with someone). Other than that, just create the portal somewhere off in a far corner to improve your odds of folks not spotting it and entering as a reflex.

Side note:
What's your game names? Are they clear enough in you cowing alone? From the (admittedly few) such games I entered, they seemed to work out decently well.
The southernmost corner of the
Rogue Encampment
farthest away from all the NPCs is good because nobody will be able to spot the portal on their map from the campfire area or at any of the vendors.

I haven't personally experienced any issues playing in public MF games with people encroaching in my area, but I operate on the principle that most people aren't assholes. The ones that are though scream the loudest. I once had a player apologize after entering my MF area once they saw me there. In the same game though, there were two other players arguing over
Chaos Sanctuary

As for game name suggestions, it took me only one game to understand "I [BAAL|CHAOS|COW] U DONT #" so I find that works decently well.

PC | Softcore Non-Ladder | US Eastern Time (UTC-4)
Expansion Ladder Season 1 Level 99 (#115 Amazon, #584 Overall)

EPOCH FAIL
OP
yeah most people are cool, but always after 5-6 runs someone will make a mess, in my area or in others(making them leave, which is just as worse). But I have my tricks... I just thought I found a locked way of doing it.
Nevermind, as I said, most people are really ok and understanding.

Bisu 369

PC
If you have 3 copies of D2R, then there's a silly simple way to "physically" block off the cow level portal.
Bisu wrote: 1 year ago
If you have 3 copies of D2R, then there's a silly simple way to "physically" block off the cow level portal.
Isnt any sorc with
Telekinesis
able to overcome such blockage?
forming some kind of guild/chat with trusted players that express their areas of intrest and form coop is only way that might help with this.
try to contact all those u know that follow rules and make one.

Image...ladder also
if online, contact me via bn chat for fast trade or negotiations after placing reply here.
If u need help with SCNL "Socket" quest, ubers or waypoints, feel free to contact me. Will gladly help.
you've also got to remember you're playing with new people, and kids. I've met plenty who have no idea what "IcowUmf" means.

ATTENTION: I WILL BE MOVING ON JUNE 30TH, ALL TRADES WILL BE PAUSED. FIBER WILL BE INSTALLED ON JULY 5TH, IF YOU PLACE AN OFFER BETWEEN THOSE DAYS I WILL NOT SEE YOUR BIDS UNTIL JULY 6TH.
d2 is somehow really encouraging bad manors. I bet those people are nicer in real life :P probably because someone goes hostile on them is much more scarier in real life.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation