diablo2.io is supported by ads
13 replies   3534 views

Description

Hi all. If i'm making a
Rabies
dudu with Grief, will the Venom proc trash my
Rabies
?
I read that Venom makes all poison damage last for 0.4 sec(Venom poison duration), which will make
Rabies
do like 100 damage and be done.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hi all. If i'm making a
Rabies
dudu with Grief, will the Venom proc trash my
Rabies
?
I read that Venom makes all poison damage last for 0.4 sec(Venom poison duration), which will make
Rabies
do like 100 damage and be done.

Schnorki 3024Moderator

PC
I would recommend you test that (if you don't have Grief yet,
Arachnid Mesh
or
Andariel's Visage
charges will do).

The reason I'm saying that is because there used to be exceptions but unless someone else can confirm, I'm not sure just how they translated to current D2:R implementations.

What I recall is that Venom basically completely trashed any other poison dmg from items by cutting the duration of all such poison down to Venom's 0.4 seconds.
For (at least some) skills however, that used to not be the case and for those, Venom instead added its damage and added to the duration (albeit only 0.4s) which in turn made for a more than potent combination because Venom's DPS addition is actually quite high at that point.

If you do test it, do be so kind and report back your findings. :D
OP
Wow I feel i'm on mission now. I'll do it after my frost zon gets me that
Lo
. That'll take some time cause she's not ready yet but i'll report back.

Schnorki 3024Moderator

PC
Good luck with that :)

Zelym 123

Paladin Europe PC
Disclaimer:
I didn't test anything myself, I do trust maxroll.gg on this topic (https://d2.maxroll.gg/resources/poison-damage).

Venom cutting item poison duration to 10 frames is actually a huge dps increase because the total poison damage is applied over Venom's shorter duration.
Venom

Adds a Poison Bit Rate to Weapon attacks and attack Skills for the duration.
Truncates all Poison Damage source's Lengths to 10 Frames (0.4 Seconds).
This applies their total Bit Rates over a much shorter Length, drastically increasing their damage.

Venom's Bit Rate and Length are added to the lengths of
Poison Dagger
Poison Javelin
and
Plague Javelin
Javelins. (Not their clouds)
+xx% Poison Skill Damage is applied when cast and also when the Bit Rate is applied by attacks / Skills.
For other poison skills, both length and bit rate are added. That's also a damage increase.

I'm not sure about
Rabies
interaction, this skill use a variable called Infection Length and may work under different rules.
But no interaction between
Rabies
and Venom seems to be the worst case scenario.

Schnorki 3024Moderator

PC
The truncate is not a dmg increase. At least it didn't used to be. It had no effect on the damage/time of other poison sources, it merely made them stop after 0.4s, resulting in a significant damage decrease (unless you managed to reapply every 0.4s or less in which case it would make no difference).

I dare say maxroll just misinterpreted AB here:
"Once cast, sum of Venom and item poison bit rates is only applied for Venom's length: item poison lengths are ignored."

That's the sum of damage/time, not the sum of damage over each entire duration.

Schnorki 3024Moderator

PC
Addition:
Maxroll themselves (correctly) count it as a decrease, not sure why they left that statement in on other pages though.

If you look at the planner and create an assassin for easy confirmation:
1) Add a toxic small charm (100 dmg / 5 secs)
2) Look at attack damage and notice it adds 100 poison dmg per attack
3) Pump Venom to 20 and apply (425-445)
4) Look at attack damage and notice it adds 433-453 poison per attack. So that's Venom damage + 8.

Coincidentally, 100 / 5 secs * 0.4 secs = 8. So they are calculating it correctly by just cutting it off after 0.4 secs but using the same damage/time.

Schnorki 3024Moderator

PC
Addition #2, more relevant to OP:
Just checked maxroll's
Rabies
/Venom interaction, for the hell of it.

Rabies
(20):
924-997 psn over 11.6 secs

Venom proc (15):
305-325 over 0.4 secs

Rabies
w/ Venom up:
10105-10781 over 12 secs

So at least maxroll calculations still agree with the original implementation on both accounts. Item poison is reduced (cut off after 0.4). Skill poison massively gains dmg as it pumps the duration of the skill by 0.4s and then extends Venom duration to the same total while keeping dmg/time the same.
OP
I'll test. Not testing quick for fun purposes... after the frost maiden is made, I want a goal for her.

Zelym 123

Paladin Europe PC
I wouldn't assume d2planner is right, this definitely needs further in-game testing.
or.houster wrote: 1 year ago
I'll test. Not testing quick for fun purposes... after the frost maiden is made, I want a goal for her.
Yes please ^^
Going to test it too, not sure yet how.
Has anyone tested it? Does it work well with
Rabies
like using Venom with
Poison Dagger
?
OP
Greys_Prey wrote: 5 months ago
Has anyone tested it? Does it work well with
Rabies
like using Venom with
Poison Dagger
?
Venom didnt terminate
Rabies
Rabies
is very very vey bad though, optimal gear used.
Needs some love.

ShadowHeart 1557Moderator

Europe PC
Yeah,
Rabies
is one of those skills that seems cool on paper, but waiting for the "disease" to spread is just annoying. I never tried a complete endgame gear setup with it, but I did try it out a bit while leveling a new Druid once.

I'm in CET (Central European Time), so that's UTC+1 normally and UTC+2 during DST.
My profile says Ladder, but I play both Ladder and Non-Ladder.
Guys, just test the desired build offline. I make builds from time to time, and there are often mistakes on Maxroll.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...