has been dropping relative to
Gul
for quite some time now. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few more months, 2
Ist
=
Gul
. I personally dislike
Ist
runes not only because they seem to be dropping in value but also because you can't convert them upward without losing value.
Gul
runes can cube all the way up to
Lo
and not lose any value! So,
Gul
runes are a lot more useful to stockpile because every
Gul
rune is an easy-to-convert fractional share of every rune higher than it until
Sur
Ist
being a base currency is kind of a tradition from the legacy D2, and in no way means it doesn't fluctuate. Dollars fluctuate.

That being said the currency for high-value trades is always
Ber
. But that's not very practical for new players.

Yeah on a hindsight
Gul
is more stable now but the mindset where people measure Wealth in
Ist
's is still there. But calling
Ist
Zim dollar is a stretch - at the very worst it will still be worth 1/2 of a
Gul
(fundamentally impossible to go lower whatsoever), and by extension 1/16 of a
Lo
. More like the Australian dollar...

TBH even if everything up to
Lo
settles at cube value it won't be much of a change from where it is now. I'd be more interested to see how long this
Lo
/
Sur
semi-equivalency can hold, as this will be the sole factor preventing
Ber
value from rising to an insane level.
Don’t take my post too seriously, it was meant to reflect sarcastic humor, not bitterness 😊
I agree to most of the valuation in the OP.

The big thing I want to add is that
Pul
= 2
Lem
. This would be very helpful, and important, to adjust for new players that do not have much to trade with and need to get most out of what they can find.

You can even argue that
Pul
= 1.5
Lem
. At som point a few weeks ago:
Pul
=
Lem

Also the following is more correct
Mal
= 1.5
Um
and
Ist
= 1.5
Mal
. But I think 2
Lem
=
Pul
is more important to adjust.
OP
czypher wrote: 2 years ago
I agree to most of the valuation in the OP.

The big thing I want to add is that
Pul
= 2
Lem
. This would be very helpful, and important, to adjust for new players that do not have much to trade with and need to get most out of what they can find.

You can even argue that
Pul
= 1.5
Lem
. At som point a few weeks ago:
Pul
=
Lem

Also the following is more correct
Mal
= 1.5
Um
and
Ist
= 1.5
Mal
. But I think 2
Lem
=
Pul
is more important to adjust.
That's a good point,
Lem
just has too many uses and almost every GF barb needs 12
Lem
I also feel
Mal
is now worth more than half an
Ist
now but the actual value is difficult to quantify. Will keep an eye on this.
If
Ber
= 2
Lo
, and
Ber
= 2
Sur
, then
Lo
=
Sur
. People trade these like for like all the time in games.

BillyMaysed 2170Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Congrats @Morphin on making the first thread to break 100 likes! The view count is also insane on this. :O

EnragedN3wb 179Moderator

PC
I gotta say, I've had my own spreadsheet going with values of runes
Lem
& up that I try to update every week or so, & this is pretty close to matching that, so it's pretty accurate right now.

Thanks for keeping this going to help people who don't want to bother with stuff like that. :)
Wow,
Zod
shooting up! I’m going to HODL then!
However people interpret price guidelines.. Both this thread, the stickied Value Guide thread, some videos of MrLlamaSC and the price history have all been very helpful in making decisions as someone who never played ladder and rarely traded.
As long as the disclaimers are present (which they are) that prices/values are relative based on source and time period it feels like the tools are available for people to make their own decisions on trades.

I was having a hard time getting a
Pul
or
Mal
a week ago while it felt like people were throwing Ists at them at weird ratios.
Guess it has to be expected on a free market with demands based on runewords, where people are progress wise, people not caring about prices and people trying to make a profit, etc.

Having the price-check for recent transactions on items has been very nice.
And even this comes with a downside; items that might benefit new or niche builds, possible post-2.4-builds which might not be reflected in the history, there's no way to catch it all without some personal investment (investigation).

And on this part (getting the information) the site has for me personally been very sufficient.

Edit: typo's, small addition.
Sorry, but this actually makes no sense. 4
Ist
make a
Vex
. That’s what it’s worth. A
Vex
isn’t somehow less than what it takes to make it. When talking about any rune
Lo
and below, it’s exactly worth what it takes to cube up to it. Base currency only made sense when soj’s were the currency because it wasn’t tied to cubing or runewords. Ists are more common because it’s a mid rune that buys a lot of small items. If you say an
Ist
is a dollar, why would a twenty dollar bill be worth $17.50?
Because someone who needs dollar coins to feed his parking machine doesn't need a 20 dollar bill. Yeah, they might take it and go through the effort of exchanging it into 20 dollar coins with someone else, but thats extra effort, so they'll take a discount on it.

That should be obvious.

So, as you have stated, higher runes are used for Runewords and are therefore much differently valued than their crafts. Yes, a
Cham
is not worth 250505 Ists. Neither is a
Zod
. A
Jah
is worth slightly more than a
Ber
because both of them are used for Enigma.

Why is a
Lo
almost equal to a
Sur
? Because a
Lo
is used in Grief. Why is
Sur
so expensive then? Because it cubes to
Ber

There are different use cases for the runes above
Lo
, as you have stated, but there is a large market for low level items where the
Um
is King, but the
Pul
is the Count, and the
Lem
is the Baron.

Would you spend an
Ist
on let's say an
Arreat's Face
? Of course not. You need smaller, but appropriate currency. So, how do you bid?

You say
Lem
. Someone else bids 2 Lems. You bid a
Pul
, they bid a
Pul
Lem
. You bid -
Um
. They bid -
Um
Pul
. What's your next bid?
Mal

This is where the mid level rune's worth comes from. Understanding that this is how people think will teach you a lot about how the economy works, how the stock market works, and how price setting works.
People who buy and trade high runes, and gear that’s more valuable then same named items, aren’t looking to move down in currency they are looking to move up, or equal, because end game items aren’t worth mid runes, unless the value is equal in mid runes. This idea is a special tax for poor people. It doesn’t make sense, illogical. My question was rhetorical, not to debate how to break ists into
Pul
’s. The supply and demand of it doesn’t make ists more valuable, it’s arbitrary.

Also yes, 2 ums would get you a
Mal
, so of course that is the next bid in runes, unless the item is only worth an
Um
+. There isn’t a supply shortage of ums or mals. Burden to break runes also isn’t on the seller. And citing this is how the stock market is traded is even more telling.
There seems to be a lack of appreciation as to what determines the prices of any runes on the open market. But no worries, we can turn this into a fun exercise to think about for everyone.

I have created a few questions for all the readers to think about together. I hope that everyone can logically follow the steps and by the end of it we should be able to understand the underlying message.
  • Question 1: If a
    Zod
    is the rarest rune ingame and if it takes 512x
    Ist
    to combine to a
    Zod
    , how many x
    Ist
    would you expect a
    Zod
    to sell for on the open market, if all actors were purely rational and no other information is given?
Spoiler
Based on the information given and a a purely rational market, a
Zod
would be priced at 512x
Ist
  • Question 2: How many Ists does a
    Zod
    sell for on the open market?
    Hint: use the price-checker function.
Spoiler
Based on the last 3 days of recorded sales, a
Zod
sold for about 6x-8x
Ist

New information:
All runes' primary purpose is to be used in runewords.
As an addition to the rationality of the market, some runewords are also more desired by the market than others.
Zod
can be used in only one runeword, Breath of the Dying, which is much less desired by the market than others.

• Question 3 a): Name the two major competing factors which are involved in arriving at the open market value of a
    Zod
    . How do those factors drive the price of a
    Zod
    ?
    Hint: As well as the above new information, utilise the information given to you in Question 1.
Spoiler
Based on the information given in question 1, one of the factors is scarcity of the
Zod
rune. Based on the new information above, the other factor is based on the use of the
Zod
rune, or in other words, desirability. These factors are clearly competing with each other, as a higher scarcity is expected to drive up the price of the rune, whereas the low desirability is expected to drive down the price of the rune.
  • Question 3 b): Utilising the answers to questions 1 and 2, which of the two factors is predominantly responsible for the open market value of a
    Zod
    ?
Spoiler
As the open market price of a
Zod
is 6x - 8x
Ist
, which is several orders of magnitude lower than the price expected by its scarcity (512x
Ist
), the main driving factor is clearly desirability of the
Zod
  • Question 4 -EXTRA CREDIT-: Summarising all the answers above, which are the three main things we should check every time before trying to sell a
    Zod
    on the market for x
    Ist
    ?
Spoiler
We need to check the following:
  • What is the recent market price for a
    Zod
    ?
  • Has the mathematical ratio of
    Ist
    to
    Zod
    changed, changing the scarcity of the rune?
  • Has the desirability of the
    Zod
    changed? (Were new runewords added to the game, or did the existing runeword gain popularity?

How was it? Did that make things clearer?
The principles at display here apply to any rune, no matter whether high or low, from
El
to
Zod
. They even apply to items!

If you have any questions, comments, or feedback, please fill out your student feedback forms and let me know, anonymously of course! Otherwise, happy studies! :D
nobody is valuing ists to
Zod
, or
El
to
Zod
, it's an irrelevant point. Runes
Lo
+ have special purposes and the value changes for those purposes. The reason 2
Lo
+ is about a
Ber
, because
Lo
is more useful than
Sur
since it's used in BIS items, and a
Sur
is just half a
Ber
. Trading anything below
Lo
to break mid runes making the seller discount their higher rune is an unneccessary and illogical tax, in most cases. Mostly, the demand for HR comes from each users need for that HR, including the person who holds more mid runes to trade up to HR. Expecting a person to take a discount for their HR for mid runes would have to have a need for using those runes to buy individuial small items, charms, etc, that's why they take the discount, they value the mid runes more now. That isn't a universal rule, if anything, most people are in need of end game BIS gear, and that gear is worth HR, or equal to the HR not mid runes. Becuase you can cube your runes to move up, a universal base value doesn't make sense. Bringing in
El
or
Zod
is absolutely irrelevant, this conversation is around
Lem
(i guess), really
Pul
to
Lo
, and anything else is a red herring. In fact this is common sense, and how most people you'll encounter operate. Someone who tries to overthink market value to make a universal rule for base currency isn't valueing their items to their own needs, and likely making bad trades, or talking people into bad trades.
What you are not considering is that people prefer certain increments, and a 1/3 ratio is not appropriate. Psychologically, people treat a
Pul
as almost half an
Um
, rather than a third of an
Um
, when compared to the
Um
itself. This is how it actually operates.

You are right that it's not what it's worth, but you can literally observe bidding behaviour and how it actually works supports that theory.

People are more likely to go
Lem
<
Pul
<
Um
<
Um
+
Pul
~
Mal

By the way, and perhaps this is where you are confused, it does not mean that a
Mal
is literally equal to
Um
+
Pul
. It means that people will often accept an
Um
+
Pul
instead of a
Mal
, as they consider the flexibility granted by an
Um
and a
Pul
to be valuable.

The pricing lists are not "made up to support a narrative". You can easily fact-check them by looking at actual selling prices.
Also currently prices for PGems are interesting… seeing people buying 5 PAmy for
Pul
, 10 for
Um
etc. Prices for mixed PGems also rise to 15-20 for
Pul
. Feel free to correct me, I find pricing rates fluctuate quite a bit as noted here for runes before

Please no private messages for trades
a
Pul
is half an
Um
. an
Um
is half a
Mal
. you need 1 more
Um
to make your
Mal
. you don't get a discount. and the person needing to spend time to break a
Mal
into an
Um
isn't spending their time wisely, because those runes are not rare, and they can buy twice as many materials or a better item with the better rune. it's not a theory, it's how the game was designed. i am considering your points, but it lacks depth. back before runewords, people traded soj's. that made sense as a base currency, even though there was a lot of duping going on, there was a good idea of what the supply was based on the scarcity of them to buy bis items, the value would be in a range of soj's based on how similar items traded. doing that for mid runes doesn't make sense. because the game allows you to cube runes. these mid runes also aren't scarce items, and the supply of them is so much it basically equals the demand. there isn't more demand to break mals into
Um
's. when you can run countess hell and get
Um
's to drop, or do hell cows, or anything in hell really, in 3-4 minutes, there is no scarcity of it, therefore no higher demand for it, therefore no reason it's priced higher. until you cube up to
Lo
, maybe an
Ohm
, you aren't able to accurately value BIS or HR's. Because the HR is really the base value, specifically probably
Ber
, since they are the currency for the bis items people want, in other words the items people won't trade once they get unless they have duplicates, the mid runes are equal to exactly their cube value. anything else is reaching, and honestly just doesn't make any sense. the only time there would be a need to take less for lower runes is you need to break your higher runes to buy a lot of gear that isn't worth one larger rune, and they make the decision to buy many smaller items instead of one larger item, because they see more value in it. Or they have bis gear, and they need mid runes to trade for charms they cant find in bulk, crafting materials, and this person will value their runes less then the charms and materials becuase they have bis gear already and their needs change. These two people are the supply side of the graph, they aren't creating the demand they are supplying it by taking discounts. that's why prices change per person based on their needs.
Ist
is usually the most common mid-rune people settle on to go higher or lower, and the items that are worth keeping long-term are usually worth atleast
Ist
Gul
's aren't suddenly worth less because more people have more Ists. That isn't how supply/demand works, which isn't a theory. The reality is HR's make the graph go the other way then what youre suggesting, because they are actually scarce and create demand, and can buy end game gear. There are currently 20,000+ active trades on this site, the scope of your search is in your experience. it isn't a universal rule by any stretch.
It seems like you have been thinking about my points, and incorporating them into what you are saying. Or perhaps I guessed correctly, and we are aligned, which makes me happy. But at the very end you seem to have lost me.

So, right now, what is the thing you disagree with regarding the mid-tier rune pricing list? Can you sum it up in one sentence so that we can see if we can address that as well?

It sounds like you are saying "there is no need for a base currency at the mid-range rune level", but also you acknowledge in the same sentence that it doesn't matter where you define the base currency, and that
Ist
is the most sensible base currency to be used, which is all true and reflected in the list.

You are also acknowledging that a trader who wants to mathematically split a rune into lower runes will likely need to offer something on top for that trade to happen. Which is also exactly true.

So what part do you not like?
i think you should read my points and make sense of it for yourself. i've said the same thing from the beginning. Also, an
Ist
being a common rune people use to go higher or lower or for spending on charms and bulk materials doesn't make it a base currency to devalue other higher runes. it's just a middle point. The base currency is the
Ber
, if anything, because end game items are the goal. maybe it's easier for you to just simplify things, and there is personal value in that, even though you end up losing. People trade on their needs, that creates the supply and demand. I am disagreeing with this list and most of what you say, so i would try to understand how supply and demand works better before giving away runes for no reason other then an arbitrary universal list of prices that doesn't meet your own needs. mostly this is common sense. but have fun, gl.
I'm fine ending the conversation here.
I have read all comments and mostly, the criticism and arguments are very understandable. There are different ways of looking at things when it comes to what they are worth, but it remains subjective. For example, heirlooms don't have to have material value to be the most important thing in the world to us.

The game is complex, much more than I have expected and it takes time to understand, which items are useless and which are probably really useful. Because especially for me as a new player, I am not sure, what is important and what is not. For e.g., as all of you, I have found hundreds of jewels, but I had no idea which are good and tradable. And it's the same for charms, bases, items, ...
Sure, there are tons of sites, guides etc. and I could read all day long, but I would no longer come to play.

Therefore, I am happy to find a short overview, which gives me a good guidance to have a better feeling, what runes are worth compared to each other.

My only wish would be to update the list regularly, because, no guide is better than a wrong guide ;-)

Switch Friends Code: 6184-4783-6702

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...