Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
0 replies   1316 views

Description

Before I get into the results...

One of the most fun things about D2 is twinking your char. Balancing various forms of damage, survivability, MF, etc. Always making minor improvements, sometimes making massive improvements. I've always found this so engaging, as far back as middle school when I started playing 1.09.

Since D2R launch I've been playing this hybridzon (or "Fishyzon") exclusively. This build's dual-element aspect, both of which also pack significant physical damage and therefore leech and huge versatility, is just so much fun to optimize. Off-weapon IAS, off-weapon +skills, and off-weapon physical damage sources all improve all of your attack modes (
Freezing Arrow
Lightning Fury
, and
Charged Strike
). To make things even more interesting,
Charged Strike
effectively has damage breakpoints...damage per bolt increases with each level, but at certain levels, the number of
Bolts
also increments: 8 at level 25, 9 at 30, 10 at 35, and 11 at 40.

I've been mulling it over for a few weeks what will be my end-game
Helm
. I can't stand
Shako
. Worn it on probably 90% of the chars I've made over the years, and just completely done with it, especially now that we have this beautiful aesthetic remaster. Since I'm going to eventually use CoH (no
Teleport
), I decided to go with a rare
Circlet
with +2 skills, FRW and 2 sockets. Next the decision is, what to do with those sockets? My other end-game gear and the available IAS breakpoints dictate that I have at least 15% IAS in either my
Helm
or on my amulet.

If I put IAS jewel in one of my
Helm
sockets, then I can use a +2 skills
Blood Amulet
(style points, FRW), or
Mara's Kaleidoscope
(not as useful as you might think, with CoH covering resists).

If I don't use an IAS jewel, I must use
Highlord's Wrath
or
The Cat's Eye
, but I could put 2 facets in my
Circlet
for serious style points. Double cold, or 1 cold and 1 lightning. Before committing to this, I wanted to see if it was worth it. Thanks to the absurdity of
Titan's Revenge
and Spirit, I can still hit level 35
Charged Strike
(for that 10-bolt breakpoint) with Cat's Eye. But would the lack of +2 skills on amulet offset the facet damage? How much does facet really add?

Below are the results of my calculations for one +5/-5 cold facet, assuming a monster with base 50% cold resists. One of the very nice things about
Freezing Arrow
is that the Adds 24-38 Cold Damage mod from facet is not wasted -- it actually adds to your skill's splash damage as well and ends up being worth about a half skill point in itself.

With a fully-synergized level 35
Freezing Arrow
, against a monster with 50% cold res, a perfect cold facet adds as much damage as +4.6 to bow skills! If the monster had 25% cold res, the facet would be worth +3.7 bow skills. Also nice that it does not increase the mana cost of the skill! XD

Hope this inspires others to do the math on their next build!
Thanks for reading!
Description by moonlit

Can be used to make Runewords:

Before I get into the results...

One of the most fun things about D2 is twinking your char. Balancing various forms of damage, survivability, MF, etc. Always making minor improvements, sometimes making massive improvements. I've always found this so engaging, as far back as middle school when I started playing 1.09.

Since D2R launch I've been playing this hybridzon (or "Fishyzon") exclusively. This build's dual-element aspect, both of which also pack significant physical damage and therefore leech and huge versatility, is just so much fun to optimize. Off-weapon IAS, off-weapon +skills, and off-weapon physical damage sources all improve all of your attack modes (
Freezing Arrow
Lightning Fury
, and
Charged Strike
). To make things even more interesting,
Charged Strike
effectively has damage breakpoints...damage per bolt increases with each level, but at certain levels, the number of
Bolts
also increments: 8 at level 25, 9 at 30, 10 at 35, and 11 at 40.

I've been mulling it over for a few weeks what will be my end-game
Helm
. I can't stand
Shako
. Worn it on probably 90% of the chars I've made over the years, and just completely done with it, especially now that we have this beautiful aesthetic remaster. Since I'm going to eventually use CoH (no
Teleport
), I decided to go with a rare
Circlet
with +2 skills, FRW and 2 sockets. Next the decision is, what to do with those sockets? My other end-game gear and the available IAS breakpoints dictate that I have at least 15% IAS in either my
Helm
or on my amulet.

If I put IAS jewel in one of my
Helm
sockets, then I can use a +2 skills
Blood Amulet
(style points, FRW), or
Mara's Kaleidoscope
(not as useful as you might think, with CoH covering resists).

If I don't use an IAS jewel, I must use
Highlord's Wrath
or
The Cat's Eye
, but I could put 2 facets in my
Circlet
for serious style points. Double cold, or 1 cold and 1 lightning. Before committing to this, I wanted to see if it was worth it. Thanks to the absurdity of
Titan's Revenge
and Spirit, I can still hit level 35
Charged Strike
(for that 10-bolt breakpoint) with Cat's Eye. But would the lack of +2 skills on amulet offset the facet damage? How much does facet really add?

Below are the results of my calculations for one +5/-5 cold facet, assuming a monster with base 50% cold resists. One of the very nice things about
Freezing Arrow
is that the Adds 24-38 Cold Damage mod from facet is not wasted -- it actually adds to your skill's splash damage as well and ends up being worth about a half skill point in itself.

With a fully-synergized level 35
Freezing Arrow
, against a monster with 50% cold res, a perfect cold facet adds as much damage as +4.6 to bow skills! If the monster had 25% cold res, the facet would be worth +3.7 bow skills. Also nice that it does not increase the mana cost of the skill! XD

Hope this inspires others to do the math on their next build!
Thanks for reading!

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...

No matches

Value:
Hide ads forever by supporting the site with a donation.

Greetings adblocker...

Warriv asks that you consider disabling your adblocker when using diablo2.io

Ad revenue helps keep the servers going and supports me, the site's creator :)

A one-time donation hides all ads, forever:
Make a donation