Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
9 replies   6899 views

Description

Seeing the other topic about Grief inspired me to share how Grief managed to cause a lot of Grief yet again. I was running pit with my zealadin, having had Grief for less than a day, had a blast except for the occasional physical immune (no Reaper's toll) when I was karmically ended by nasty
Fanaticism
amp dmg stoneskin combo packs in Pit 2. I tried to retrieve my corpse a few times but the tight area where it was and all the mobs blocking made it very difficult.

Then the game crashed while using a way point, great well I'll just log back on and continue, logging back in retrieving my corpse I see my paladin standing there like an idiot with a
Kris
os2 as I begin feeling more of an idiot myself as I panically begin to fumble around in my inventory.

Needless to say my Grief had become exchanged for a smug
Kris
and Grief Irl, now trying to figure out what had happened, I remembered being piñatad back in the day at least twice, the particular incident I vividly remember to this day was someone dropping a bunch of garbage on my corpse in a pvp game when I was pretty green and pop, all my shit on the Ground, good times.

Now I am not posting this to try and receive stuff or sympathy, but more of a PSA for n00bs and more importantly a bit of posthumous investigation so I can avoid it happening again. The obvious thing is that I must have accidently picked up the godforsaken
Kris
when trying to retrieve my corpse, playing on the Switch, controllers doesn't really offer the epitome of precision.

I more or less got 1-shot so I never noticed, my inventory was full of charms and potions from the
Belt
, so I assume that I should drop the potions in town if my body is in a precarious situation to avoid it from happening again.

Does anyone know if when I logged back in if I was f#cked or if I still could have retrieved it had I made space in the inventory?

Sorry for the wall of text, just had to get it off my chest and hopefully someone can fill me in to avoid future Grief.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Seeing the other topic about Grief inspired me to share how Grief managed to cause a lot of Grief yet again. I was running pit with my zealadin, having had Grief for less than a day, had a blast except for the occasional physical immune (no Reaper's toll) when I was karmically ended by nasty
Fanaticism
amp dmg stoneskin combo packs in Pit 2. I tried to retrieve my corpse a few times but the tight area where it was and all the mobs blocking made it very difficult.

Then the game crashed while using a way point, great well I'll just log back on and continue, logging back in retrieving my corpse I see my paladin standing there like an idiot with a
Kris
os2 as I begin feeling more of an idiot myself as I panically begin to fumble around in my inventory.

Kris
and Grief Irl, now trying to figure out what had happened, I remembered being piñatad back in the day at least twice, the particular incident I vividly remember to this day was someone dropping a bunch of garbage on my corpse in a pvp game when I was pretty green and pop, all my shit on the Ground, good times.

Now I am not posting this to try and receive stuff or sympathy, but more of a PSA for n00bs and more importantly a bit of posthumous investigation so I can avoid it happening again. The obvious thing is that I must have accidently picked up the godforsaken
Kris
when trying to retrieve my corpse, playing on the Switch, controllers doesn't really offer the epitome of precision.

I more or less got 1-shot so I never noticed, my inventory was full of charms and potions from the
Belt
, so I assume that I should drop the potions in town if my body is in a precarious situation to avoid it from happening again.

Does anyone know if when I logged back in if I was f#cked or if I still could have retrieved it had I made space in the inventory?

Sorry for the wall of text, just had to get it off my chest and hopefully someone can fill me in to avoid future Grief.
Answeredby Jinsho2 years agoGo to post
So this is actually very important : D2R and D2 classic work the same way with regards to corpses.

When you die in a tough spot, the temptation is there to equip your 2nd best gear or some teleport staff or whatever, to make sure you can recover your corpse. But it will lead to you only partially recovering your corpse when you click it. The loot that could not be equipped will remain on your corpse.

Now imagine you die again, drop your partially recovered items into a new corpse, and out of frustration you Alt + F4 or just leave the game. But, if you ever log out of a game, even if only for a second, all your corpses disappear from the world!

ONLY THE CORPSE WITH THE REMAINING HIGHEST GOLD VALUE will be waiting in Town for you when you log back in. This means that it will be the corpse with most of your items, but whatever item you did not pick up from the initial corpse will completely disappear and will be unrecoverable.

It's probably happened to everyone.
GiantEnemyCrab wrote: 2 years ago
Fanaticism

Kris

Kris

Kris

Belt

hmm, most likely you grabbed the stupid kriss when trying to retrieve the body. Happened to me all the time. The only solution I found was to always mark the game name that I am playing (calling it, DavidsGame) so that, in case I lose anything, I can go back to that game, more so when carrying expensive equipment. Again OP, I'm soo sorry.

If it was a different game where you retrieved the body, you were indeed F*cked, since another body was left in that game with the Grief in the floor, unless you had stored the Grief before Death.

Had a Dream about getting a
Lo
, and all I found today was a
Wisp Projector
So this is actually very important : D2R and D2 classic work the same way with regards to corpses.

When you die in a tough spot, the temptation is there to equip your 2nd best gear or some
Teleport
staff or whatever, to make sure you can recover your corpse. But it will lead to you only partially recovering your corpse when you click it. The loot that could not be equipped will remain on your corpse.

Now imagine you die again, drop your partially recovered items into a new corpse, and out of frustration you Alt + F4 or just leave the game. But, if you ever log out of a game, even if only for a second, all your corpses disappear from the world!

ONLY THE CORPSE WITH THE REMAINING HIGHEST GOLD VALUE will be waiting in Town for you when you log back in. This means that it will be the corpse with most of your items, but whatever item you did not pick up from the initial corpse will completely disappear and will be unrecoverable.

It's probably happened to everyone.
This post was marked as the best answer.
This is why I always do the safe option, if I'm solo, die once, cry once, log out and retrieve your ONE body back in town in another game.

If in a game with friends, stay in town and let them clear the area and then retrieve the body.

I know it's easier said than done, but sometimes you gotta stop and reassess the situation before charging back in, and risking losing gear with the multiple bodies issue and accidentally equipping an item.
Really important point I forgot to add if you are playing online:

Let's say you die while doing organ farming or whatever, and you simply have no success getting to your body, but you do not want the game to disappear (maybe you saw a unique drop earlier but couldn't get it, or you don't want your Organ portals going to waste).

In D2R, if you're playing on an online character, and in D2 classic if you are playing on Battle.net, the game actually creates an online game for you. This follows the same rule as all other online games : If you've spend at least 5 minutes in the game, the game stays open for another 5 minutes even after you log out. So you can log in on your other characters and try to clear the zone around your corpse.
But you will need the game name and password in order to be able to re-join the game from the lobby on your alt. So write it down before you log out. It is normally shown on the Automap screen on the top right, unless you disabled that setting.
Jinsho wrote: 2 years ago
Really important point I forgot to add if you are playing online:

Let's say you die while doing organ farming or whatever, and you simply have no success getting to your body, but you do not want the game to disappear (maybe you saw a unique drop earlier but couldn't get it, or you don't want your Organ portals going to waste).

In D2R, if you're playing on an online character, and in D2 classic if you are playing on Battle.net, the game actually creates an online game for you. This follows the same rule as all other online games : If you've spend at least 5 minutes in the game, the game stays open for another 5 minutes even after you log out. So you can log in on your other characters and try to clear the zone around your corpse.
But you will need the game name and password in order to be able to re-join the game from the lobby on your alt. So write it down before you log out. It is normally shown on the Automap screen on the top right, unless you disabled that setting.
Excellent info and great safeguard for this kind of situation.

I will add to what Jinsho is saying and suggest creating games with easy to remember names and passwords, such as game name: KLP pw: KLP etc.
Me personally, I like to make them three or four letter/number games and make the PWs the same as the gamename.
Damn, that sucks.

I wish there was an option/button you could press that could make you not pick up any drop even if you click on it.

That's my fear anytime I go get my corpse, that I'll accidentally click on something while walking around, and then the game crashes at this exact time and I lose something valuable.
Personally, when i dien in d2 i just put on some other gear i have in stash, clear, undress into stash and then pickup the body
That is fine, but there is a risk if you do that.

If you die with that 2nd gear set, now you cannot leave the game before picking up at least one of the two corpses. Or else one of the corpses and all the gear on it will be forever lost.

It is always safest to just leave the game.
mishabg wrote: 2 years ago
Damn, that sucks.

I wish there was an option/button you could press that could make you not pick up any drop even if you click on it.

That's my fear anytime I go get my corpse, that I'll accidentally click on something while walking around, and then the game crashes at this exact time and I lose something valuable.

There is actually a command you can type in chat to not be able to pick anything on the floor unless you press the "show item" button and actually clicking on the name.
You have to type /nopickup (maybe with an S in the end, don't remember).. Don't know if it works on consoles though.. Let me know

HHTekill#2716

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...