Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
19 replies   1815 views

Description

To preface: I've never beaten Hell difficulty, I only really played as a kid and typically gave up in NM so maybe that explains some things haha. However this sentiment also applies to other ARPGs I've played more recently, including D2 mods.

I just don't like the idea of respecing my character from an "early game build" to an "endgame" build. I prefer the fantasy of playing as the same build from 1-99, utilizing synergies so that I can transition from an early game skill to a late game skill within the same build.

I got to thinking about this while reading lots of builds online to get some ideas for D2R, especially on sites like maxrollgg, and found that most recommended starting as something completely different (like a lightning javazon starting as a fire bowazon) until reaching somewhere in the level 40-75 range, then switching to whatever endgame build you were actually looking for. But to me if I'm not playing as a build from level 1 then I'm not really playing as that build, you know?

Just wanted to start a discussion about this and see what everyone else does. Does anyone have any favourite builds that work from 1-99 and can clear Hell without respecing? Does anyone out there do the opposite and start every class the exact same way everytime until you actually respec into the desired build in NM/Hell?

Can be used to make Runewords:

DrBob 27

Sorceress Americas PC
To preface: I've never beaten Hell difficulty, I only really played as a kid and typically gave up in NM so maybe that explains some things haha. However this sentiment also applies to other ARPGs I've played more recently, including D2 mods.

I just don't like the idea of respecing my character from an "early game build" to an "endgame" build. I prefer the fantasy of playing as the same build from 1-99, utilizing synergies so that I can transition from an early game skill to a late game skill within the same build.

I got to thinking about this while reading lots of builds online to get some ideas for D2R, especially on sites like maxrollgg, and found that most recommended starting as something completely different (like a lightning javazon starting as a fire bowazon) until reaching somewhere in the level 40-75 range, then switching to whatever endgame build you were actually looking for. But to me if I'm not playing as a build from level 1 then I'm not really playing as that build, you know?

Just wanted to start a discussion about this and see what everyone else does. Does anyone have any favourite builds that work from 1-99 and can clear Hell without respecing? Does anyone out there do the opposite and start every class the exact same way everytime until you actually respec into the desired build in NM/Hell?
Yeah, same boat. I typically only respec to distribute stat points differently based on optimal gear. The skill points remain largely the same.

The only caveat I might make for D2R may be a wind druid, not sure how it would be feasible without some damage early game.
OP

DrBob 27

Sorceress Americas PC
Grizzlywise wrote: 2 years ago
Yeah, same boat. I typically only respec to distribute stat points differently based on optimal gear. The skill points remain largely the same.

The only caveat I might make for D2R may be a wind druid, not sure how it would be feasible without some damage early game.
I don't know how I feel about stat respec. On one hand I do hate when points in str/dex go to waste, on the other hand I don't want to respec everytime I want to remove 20-30 points from str just for ~100 more life. I'll probably try to find out what endgame items I want to use and see their str/dex requirements and just get my str/dex to those levels with hard points. If its ends up a little inefficient with +str/dex from gear then so be it

As for Wind Druid that is a good point... I intended on trying lots of builds and Wind Druid was one that caught my eye but I didn't consider that you keep
Arctic Blast
at lv 1 so your first real damage skill down that path is at 18 or 24. If absolutely necessary for a build like that I guess I will have to be okay respecing at 18 or 24 and running something as similar as possible until then, so in that case I would use the Fire side of the Elemental tree
D2 used to have no respecs. Once you created a character, and used a skill and stat point that was it. You couldn't take it back. If you messed up, or wanted a different build you had to create a new character. I remember when I first started playing D2 back in 2001. I made so many characters with so many builds. Once respec came along I didn't make as many characters like I used to.

OP

DrBob 27

Sorceress Americas PC
WhirLWinD wrote: 2 years ago
D2 used to have no respecs. Once you created a character, and used a skill and stat point that was it. You couldn't take it back. If you messed up, or wanted a different build you had to create a new character. I remember when I first started playing D2 back in 2001. I made so many characters with so many builds. Once respec came along I didn't make as many characters like I used to.
Do you remember what patch/year that was changed? As a kid I don't remember respecing but maybe it was because it actually wasn't an option back then haha. Maybe that's where I got into this mindset in the first place, which I then took with me into games like Silverfall, Titan Quest, Path of Exile, D2 mods, etc
In regard to guides commonly suggesting a different build for early game vs endgame, I think it has to do with scope and the role the guide is serving. It is written to advise a player through the most effective way to achieve the goal of the endgame character. That includes getting through the lower levels which, as far as the guide's goal, don't matter once you are past them. I guess it also depends if you are getting rushed through the game or not, which I imagine many guides probably assume.

Personally I've never really cared about the role palying aspect of any genre of games (to each their own). I will use rspec occasionally. Not terribly often for resetting after the early game (when I do it's around level 30-40). Most of the time it's when I misclick or otherwise accidentally screw up a build. However I personally won't use a respec to change endgame build of an entire characters. ie. If I decide after leveling a hdin to 90 that I want a smiter, I'll roll a new pally instead. For me that partly has to do with the nostalgia of how it was before rspec'ing existed, and because I like gearing new characters.

You do make a good point though, not everyone wants to blow through the early game or to have a path through the early game that gets wiped clean down the road. It would be cool to see modern guides include a paragraph mentioning early game optimal skill order that only involves the skills used in the end game build.

Any common build will work through endgame without ever respecing. It might just be substantially slower to progress and level up, which is why many go with an optimal early game builds and respec later.
DrBob wrote: 2 years ago
Do you remember what patch/year that was changed?
It was 1.13, came out in 2011
OP

DrBob 27

Sorceress Americas PC
Noemard wrote: 2 years ago

It was 1.13, came out in 2011
That's a lot later than I imagined, Diablo 3 was right around the corner by that point haha. Then I definitely played d2 before respecs, which means d2 is definitely the reason I have this mindset in the first place... by the time they arrived I had moved onto other ARPGs and mods that all seemed to feature respecs in some capacity. That's cool and sort of eye-opening for me. I guess I have false memories of d2 with respecs because of mods, a replaythrough I did several years back, and from looking up builds for D2R recently
Just rechecked, my quick google search showed the date for 1.13d, it would have been 23 March 2010. Still pretty later compared to how old the game was
OP

DrBob 27

Sorceress Americas PC
Noemard wrote: 2 years ago
Just rechecked, my quick google search showed the date for 1.13d, it would have been 23 March 2010. Still pretty later compared to how old the game was
Wow, still... by that point I had played Dark Alliance 2, Dungeon Siege 2, Silverfall, Titan Quest, Too Human, Torchlight, and probably countless others I'm forgetting.
This has been an insightful thread, for some reason in my mind d2 has been the same game since 2001. I never realized how much has changed since then. It makes me want to try classic mode in d2r. Actually, will classic mode in d2r be on patch 1.07? I'll definitely give it a shot if so
Yeah I miss "no respecs". It used to be part of the challenge to level without using many skill points early on. Would make the end result all the more much satisfying.

I still tend to play as if there are no respecs, but always feel silly as the points stack up.

BMAY 527

Assassin Americas PC
I miss no respecs too, but i've gotten used to the way it currently is in 1.14.

But newcomers will never know the love/hate relationship of min-maxing your PVP character to such an extent, that you recreate an entire new char every time you replace/upgrade an item.

THIS is the time I remember. I was weirded out when
Anya
offered me respecs I initially thought it was unlimited.
I haven't played much since 'respec' has been an option, to be honest.

I think it's nice to have the option though, especially on new ladder characters!

Being able to respec and optimize your character for end game is a treat as well.

I have messed up a few characters in my day, so I don't mind the feature. I just would have thought that Hardcore would have been limited to one or none, to be honest, but I believe they get three as well?
I really like the option to reset stats. It allows the character to grow with item upgrades or be rebuilt into something new. Having to remake a character was never a desirable option for me. This is especially the case when having higher level characters.

Optional stat resets also ensure that I will never again misplace a skill point and get so mad that I throw a chair across the room then smash a clock.
Yeah, I am OCD so I tend to stick with what I go for !
Only need enuff DeX and STR for Enigma that's it put all points in vita and mana

XBOX: MADDEN CHAMP419
D2LoD@USEast: ToaT & OldSkoolD2Playa
Played, Clan'D &
Ward
USEast
WarCraft II, StarCraft

I used to play D2 when Respec was not even an Option and i Feel you, my lvl 95 Poison Necro meant something, cause people knew the struggle was real before Death’s Web and Bramble and P charms etc

That being said, it’s a good thing for new players, most modern games take you by the hand, so it kinda makes sense i guess?

I do miss those old school days haha!
My 1st paladin... "died" at lvl 21 having lvl 20 Pray aura... lol
Those days you was able to rush from act1 normal to hell cows being lvl 2-3

DiabloDeDeadpool wrote: 2 years ago
May the loot be with you...
I don't understand missing "no respecs"

If you don't like respec'ing, you don't have to.

Why would you want to deprive everyone else on that option?

I once a accidentally put 300 points into strength with an accidental shift click (I thought it would dump 5 points, not all). No respecs would've made me have to make a character from Level 1-80 again just to fix that mistake.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...