16 replies   1651 views

Did you play D2 before D2R

Poll ended at 2 years ago

Yes (95%)
No (5%)
Total votes: 38
Total votes: 38

Description

Hey everyone. New D2 player here. I was just curious in the active d2r community how many played the original D2 vs didn't. I'm one of the only people I know who didn't play the original and while the learning curve was steep. Between content creators and resources like this site I've learned so much and I love this game. It's all I've played since release and I normally bounce around games. Anyway I pose the question did you play the original and if so is the game/community what you remember? Would love to hear everyone's stories!! GLHF!
Description by BillyMaysed

Can be used to make Runewords:

Hey everyone. New D2 player here. I was just curious in the active d2r community how many played the original D2 vs didn't. I'm one of the only people I know who didn't play the original and while the learning curve was steep. Between content creators and resources like this site I've learned so much and I love this game. It's all I've played since release and I normally bounce around games. Anyway I pose the question did you play the original and if so is the game/community what you remember? Would love to hear everyone's stories!! GLHF!

BillyMaysed 2188Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
Long time veteran here. Played since launch but i learned 90% of what i know from watching tons of YT videos prior to D2R launch lol. So many things i never knew blew my mind. lots of new resources available now a days. That's why i made the D2: New Players Guide and Other Guides as well. This game is truly amazing and insanely in-depth. Couldn't of asked for a better game to remaster, or a better remaster. 11/10.

xSD 143

Barbarian Americas PC
First game I was ever obsessed with as a kid after I got into PC gaming via AoE2.

I remember being awful at first, but then finding a legit trading community that refused to deal in dupes or runes above
Gul
and it made the game amazing. Playing in a semi-closed ecosystem with like minded gamers was awesome.

If you ever need fun builds, tips, good resources or rushes/ubers feel free to reach out!
Played since 2003 or so. In 2012, stopped with the no-life and pvp. Up until 2018, I was just building a single character every odd season and min-max them for fun. Good times.
When I first started I was in high school and I think I spent more time playing D2 than attending school. I don't think there has been a full month since 2003 that I haven't at least walked through Normal on SP, it was the first thing I installed on any new computer - I still have my CDs with their now very-worn manuals and keys.

Barely here.
PC & Switch.
OH MAN
the old days.

i Remember playing gothic 1+2
Age of Empires 2
diablo 2 LoD joined at 1.09
baldurs gate 2
Heroes of might and magic 3+4
damn those were some gems in gaming history

i stopped playing d2 and came back a lot.

im actually surprised that the curse
Iron Maiden
in act 4 is gone now :o

missed the change
MDK91 wrote: 2 years ago
OH MAN
the old days.

i Remember playing gothic 1+2
Age of Empires 2
diablo 2 LoD joined at 1.09
baldurs gate 2
Heroes of might and magic 3+4
damn those were some gems in gaming history

i stopped playing d2 and came back a lot.

im actually surprised that the curse
Iron Maiden
in act 4 is gone now :o

missed the change
IM from Chaos was patched years ago, I think it was 1.12 or 1.13 in Legacy.

35px 77

PC
I played very intensively for two years after the release, but lost interest as patch 1.10 droped. Since then I've played every now and then for a few days at a time.
OP
All these replys make me jealous my first ever PC game was MOP WOW so i feel like i missed out on a great time but better late than never!

Banjo 138

Sorceress Americas PC
my friends and I used to play all the time when we were teens. we would literally play from friday to sunday nonstop, but we all had to play at my friends house cuz he was the only one with a decent internet connection. now this was back in dial up days and if you dont know what dial up is you probably didnt play original d2 either.
Veteran here as well. I can remember my first heart attack when I dropped my first
Jah
in PIT :D
Played the crap out of D2. I found the first
Shako
in my LAN cafe and people thought it was fake xD

Started in 1.07, full rej bug.
What I miss from online play was you picking up your corpse and the items exploding because you accidentally equipped a trash from the floor, haha.

Wish JSP didn't exist and refuse to use it. The beauty of D2 trade was joining random games and finding your fortune. The way the internet is today I much rather D2 had an auction house. d2jsp is like a casual way of real money trading because iirc you can buy fg with cash.
I did but I don't really count it as I got to A3 and quit. I also found in the save dir I think items at the time were stored separately so I duped some unique armor my friend had and ruined the game for myself.
This was pre ladder
Yes, but I stopped playing during 1.09. Coming back to D2R has felt like a completely different game. Most of the gg items from before aren't that great anymore, and learning that Enigma exists blows my mind.

I miss a lot of the features that have been stripped out of D2R though, like actual chat channels, clans, functioning game lists, open Bnet where people would pit their haxor chars vs. other haxor chars to find out who was the more leet haxor. A lot of the social aspects that made the game fun have been ripped out, or just moved toward external communities. Not that it's bad though - I had some really good friends on the /f l way back that I'll never be able to find again.
I did, when I was like 8. Played my Fathers Mule Char and helped moving items around, which isnt necessary anymore. my biggest achievement back then was reaching act 3 XD

BillyMaysed 2188Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
JohnWayne wrote: 2 years ago
layed my Fathers Mule Char and helped moving items around, which isnt necessary anymore
We may not need mules to Xfer, but we still need lots of mules for all our items :(. More stash tabs damnit!!

Started with D2 Classic (where Perfect Skulls were the base currency), switched 2001 to LoD (SoJ instead of PS as base currency) and had a 1.08
Saracen's Chance
in 1.09+. There was the time where everyone wanted
Perfect Gems
for cubing, before or after everyone wanted Chipped Gems for cubing. Then there was the time where everyone wanted a 4OS 100 life armor or the 300ED weapons. Bugged rune word weapons, Buriza Amazons in Cow levels, or "Bloody" runs (
Bloody Foothills
) from Act 5 WP1 back to
Harrogath

Thousand of hours total, many hundreds of hours only for
Mephisto
and Pindle. Grinding hard. Good old times.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...