Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
9 replies   654 views

Description

I understand that blizzard had to institute a que system because of stress on the servers. i think its stupid, but i understand it. what i dont understand is that when the game crashes because they put out an inferior product that i have to wait in a que to get back in. there should be some kind of detection on there servers when a game crashes that puts you in front of the que. Am i wrong here or does that seem kind of ridiculous that the game can crash and then you have to wait in a que to jump play again.

Can be used to make Runewords:

Banjo 138

Sorceress Americas PC
I understand that blizzard had to institute a que system because of stress on the servers. i think its stupid, but i understand it. what i dont understand is that when the game crashes because they put out an inferior product that i have to wait in a que to get back in. there should be some kind of detection on there servers when a game crashes that puts you in front of the que. Am i wrong here or does that seem kind of ridiculous that the game can crash and then you have to wait in a que to jump play again.
I completely agree with you, the same problem has happened to me since the server queue thing , I hope they'll make things right at blizzard, and put people which are gettin out of the game cause of crashed, ahead in the queue!

Darq 86

Amazon Europe PC
And how should that work on a technical level? The problem of a hard crash is, there is no real functionality to make it known to the server without vulnerabilities for hacking. They should instead use that energy to fix the problem and don't work on a workaround and create new problems.
It would be nice if those that are not working on the global networking / architecture issue could look into the game crashing issues a bit more.

I feel like the game was pretty stable at launch. I had no issues playing my initial and main HC SORC character. Pretty sure I played 4 days straight without any crashing.

It wasn't until I created a Pali to play with my family that I had my first crash and initially thought hmm weird wonder if there is some issue with Pali but then the random crashing just starter occurring at anytime. My family that plays with me started seeing the crashes as well around the same time.

Not sure if others felt the same way at the start but to me it felt like something changed in the client to make it less stable and you think they would have enough crash reports to at least have an idea.

I guess it's possible it could be related to the server issues and maybe doesn't understand how to handle some desync issue but I doubt it as it crashes randomly sitting in the lobby which I would think would not have any real impact.

LockeDown
Hardcore PC Ladder

Deckard Cain, NA PC 0

I been in queue for 4 minutes now until my number finally changed
the higher your number the less frequently it moves the closer your get to 0 it becomes more frequent

NON LADDER THIS IS NON LADDER NON NON LADDER ALL TRADES ARE NON LADDER

Beardozer 445Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
The queue really does suck, and so does the rate limiting for interactions with the game database that they put in place. If you even try to join the next game in a series of runs before the game has been created, you can get locked out. If you make a typo, you can get locked out and the game fills while you're sitting in the lobby waiting.

I am hopeful that this is all temporary, blizz did send out that massive bluepost about the server situation. It does explain a lot of what's going on and what they are doing to fix it. It's really easy to get frustrated and want to flip your desk over, but it sounds like complicated database problems. You really can't see certain performance bottlenecks until you stress a system to failure, and you can't really simulate or test full production loads until you're in production. I hope they get it sorted soon.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood
OP

Banjo 138

Sorceress Americas PC
Darq wrote: 2 years ago
And how should that work on a technical level? The problem of a hard crash is, there is no real functionality to make it known to the server without vulnerabilities for hacking. They should instead use that energy to fix the problem and don't work on a workaround and create new problems.
So I’m fairly competent when it comes to networking and how clients communicate with servers. I know every time the game crashes I get a pop up on my screen that shows me that blizzards software recognized the game crashed. So they already have the ability to detect game crashes. Then they could use that info to flag your IP address and mark you for instant que for like 20 seconds. After that you back in the regular queue. Also, the people at blizzard are probably fuck tons smarter than I am I’m sure they could figure something out. I agree with you that yes they should just fix the server problem and fix the crashing problem, but in the meantime like I said it seems ridiculous that the game crashes cuz of their shitty release and then we’re further punished when the game crashes by having to wait 30 mins to hop back in.

Beardozer 445Moderator

Sorceress Americas PC
I remember classic wow had massively long queues at launch, 3-4 hours during the first week or so. The queues came back every now and then. If you crashed, you could get back in within a certain grace period.

However, different server, different game, different database, different software. Wow has always had a queue system in place ready to go. D2 has never had this. It is likely that significant time and development effort may be needed to add a grace period to their current system. That time is better spent on fixing the problem.

diablo2.io janitor | Odunga Brotherhood

Darq 86

Amazon Europe PC
Banjo wrote: 2 years ago
So I’m fairly competent when it comes to networking and how clients communicate with servers. I know every time the game crashes I get a pop up on my screen that shows me that blizzards software recognized the game crashed. So they already have the ability to detect game crashes. Then they could use that info to flag your IP address and mark you for instant que for like 20 seconds. After that you back in the regular queue. Also, the people at blizzard are probably fuck tons smarter than I am I’m sure they could figure something out. I agree with you that yes they should just fix the server problem and fix the crashing problem, but in the meantime like I said it seems ridiculous that the game crashes cuz of their shitty release and then we’re further punished when the game crashes by having to wait 30 mins to hop back in.
I never said, they can't detect it, i said they can't detect it without new vulnerabilities. If you simply want a solution to hop back in then there is like you said an easy way to do it. But a software engineer have to think ahead of that and have to understand what the consequences are. If there is a way to skip the queue then there is a way to abuse it. That means you need more ideas to prevent that abuse. And that needs time and new solution has new potential for more bugs. In my eyes, if they have good report for the crashes, they are faster in finding the bugs and fix it like Beardozer already said that.

I had no crashes before the queue system but 2 crashes after that (others said somethink like that too). This is no proof but is reasonable to believe, that the new queue system is a makeshift hotfix they created on one weekend ( and i have my respect for those engineers, it is almost impossible to write good code under such pressure and no time) and they should focus on the bugs first. Such thinks like queue rehoping is a nice feature but i should be done without a rush. We don't want more bug, just to fix other bugs.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...