Search the database
Search forum topics
Search members
Search for trades
diablo2.io is supported by ads
diablo2.io is supported by ads
16 replies   24522 views

Description

I just traded away my 2nd Grief and now I need a new off-hand weapon. I want Last Wish but I'm still 2
Jah
away from it so I need something cheaper in the meantime. I was thinking about trying something new instead of just making another Grief.

I've been considering something like BotD or Death in an Ethereal
Colossus Blade
. I suppose Death could also go into an Ethereal
Colossus Sword
... I don't fully understand the differences between Colossus Blades and Swords in terms of which is best for a
Frenzy
Barb. I'm kind of torn between these two... 50% crushing blow on Death seems like a very strong option, but the 60% IAS on BotD also seems like it would be really strong. Does anyone have any experience with these runewords that they could offer me some guidance? Is Grief just flat-out better that I should skip this and just go with 2nd Grief again? I have the runes to craft Death but I would need to trade for
Zod
for BotD.

Here is my current character build sans small charms: https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner/k701068u

Can be used to make Runewords:

I just traded away my 2nd Grief and now I need a new off-hand weapon. I want Last Wish but I'm still 2
Jah
away from it so I need something cheaper in the meantime. I was thinking about trying something new instead of just making another Grief.

I've been considering something like BotD or Death in an Ethereal
Colossus Blade
. I suppose Death could also go into an Ethereal
Colossus Sword
... I don't fully understand the differences between Colossus Blades and Swords in terms of which is best for a
Frenzy
Barb. I'm kind of torn between these two... 50% crushing blow on Death seems like a very strong option, but the 60% IAS on BotD also seems like it would be really strong. Does anyone have any experience with these runewords that they could offer me some guidance? Is Grief just flat-out better that I should skip this and just go with 2nd Grief again? I have the runes to craft Death but I would need to trade for
Zod
for BotD.

Here is my current character build sans small charms: https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner/k701068u

Khegan 376

You don't have any CB in your setup. Are you planning to run bosses? If yes, then Grief + Death is my pick. Otherwise, Grief + BotD for most style points. Dual Grief obviously has the highest raw damage output, but I think it's boring.

Colossus Sword
vs
Colossus Blade
:

CS is slower for barbs, slightly more average damage, and can have 5 sockets at most. No hassle base for Death.

CB is faster for barbs, slightly less average damage, and can have 6 sockets. You need 15 more dex to use vs CS, or only 88 with BotD.

Edit: I forgot to subtract 10 dex for ethereal CB.

Asha 344

Sorceress Europe PC
Imho, BotD is a bit better than Grief - assuming you have crushing/openwounds/etc on your other gear. High speed, solid dual leech, massive stats - for ww barb it works great. Choosing a Grief tho, you make sure you'll hit good speed breakpoint with it - and then, it is also awesome.
OP
Khegan wrote: 2 years ago
You don't have any CB in your setup. Are you planning to run bosses? If yes, then Grief + Death is my pick. Otherwise, Grief + BotD for most style points. Dual Grief obviously has the highest raw damage output, but I think it's boring.

Colossus Sword
vs
Colossus Blade
:

CS is slower for barbs, slightly more average damage, and can have 5 sockets at most. No hassle base for Death.

CB is faster for barbs, slightly less average damage, and can have 6 sockets. You need 15 more dex to use vs CS, or only 88 with BotD.
Yeah I'm looking to replace the offhand Lawbringer
Phase Blade
with one of the options discussed here. I'll be sticking with Grief PB in main hand. I do run bosses, but I'm leaning towards BotD because of the much higher attack speed, and 50% chance to cast
Poison Nova
on killing an enemy is going to be a lot of fun to watch. It sounds like I can't really go wrong with either option.

Thanks for highlighting the differences between CS and CB for me.
Hi, about Last Wish:
It curses
Life Tap
, so it curses over
Decrepify
if your merc has
The Reaper's Toll
Hit Blinds Target in turn curses over
Life Tap
, so you only profit of
Life Tap
for one hit.
The weapon cannot be ethereal and thus it does less damage than Death, Oath or Breath of the Dying
The Might aura of your mercenary is stronger.

On workdays I am generally available for trade from 19:00 CET to 23:00 CET. Weekends variable.
DON'T ADD ME ON BNET WITHOUT POSTING HERE! I WILL NOT ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS FROM STRANGERS.
On the other hand, add me after you bid ;)
OP
Verband wrote: 2 years ago
Hi, about Last Wish:
It curses
Life Tap
, so it curses over
Decrepify
if your merc has
The Reaper's Toll
Life Tap
, so you only profit of
Life Tap
for one hit.
The weapon cannot be ethereal and thus it does less damage than Death, Oath or Breath of the Dying
That Hit Blinds Target counts as a curse seems like a massive oversight in the design of that weapon. Thanks for letting me know. I guess it's not worth the cost.
Another info: Only the ias of your primary weapon counts. As you should use Grief in a
Phase Blade
in your primary weapon slot, the ias of Breath of the Dying does not count.

On workdays I am generally available for trade from 19:00 CET to 23:00 CET. Weekends variable.
DON'T ADD ME ON BNET WITHOUT POSTING HERE! I WILL NOT ACCEPT FRIEND REQUESTS FROM STRANGERS.

Schnorki 3175Moderator

PC
Trubbs wrote: 2 years ago
Hi, about Last Wish:
It curses
Life Tap
, so it curses over
Decrepify
if your merc has
The Reaper's Toll
Life Tap
, so you only profit of
Life Tap
for one hit.
That Hit Blinds Target counts as a curse seems like a massive oversight in the design of that weapon. Thanks for letting me know. I guess it's not worth the cost.
Sadly, yeah. If it didn't have the blind it'd be glorious. But with it..mweh.
Another info: Only the ias of your primary weapon counts. As you should use Grief in a
Phase Blade
well i am curious about that
Grief in pb in main hand, Death in
Eth
CB as offhand, what's the outcome?
it seems to me you get an hybrid scenario that ends up in having slow attack speed

Sweet Lovely Death
Just waiting for your breath
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress
OP
Phase Blade
I thought it would apply the 60% IAS from offhand weapon to only the offhand weapon's attacks. You're saying it wouldn't do anything at all? That seems like a rip-off. In that case I'd lean towards Death but as someone also pointed out, wouldn't that leave me with rather slow attack speed? I find myself tempted to use Hero Editor or whatever its called to do some single-player offline testing.

I also noticed that when I equip my
Doombringer
in my offhand it does not seem to apply the 40% bonus to attack rating, to either my main hand or my offhand.
The
Frenzy
barb weapon speed calculation is very complicated. If you want to wear a Grief
Phase Blade
and you have
Frenzy
level 25, then you need 78% ias for max speed with
Colossus Sword
and 72% ias with a
Colossus Blade
You should use a calculator for this. Unfortunately I only know one in German.

The
Frenzy
barb weapon speed calculation is very complicated. If you want to wear a Grief
Phase Blade
and you have
Frenzy
level 25, then you need 78% ias for max speed with
Colossus Sword
and 72% ias with a
Colossus Blade
You should use a calculator for this. Unfortunately I only know one in German.
well i used a calculator but no one i found seems to be very accurate
just one last question, when you say ias you mean from equip other than Grief weapon ias or should we take that into account too, to get to the 78/72 % ias?

Sweet Lovely Death
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress
Steccothal wrote: 2 years ago
just one last question, when you say ias you mean from equip other than Grief weapon ias or should we take that into account too, to get to the 78/72 % ias?
Can you link your calculator? If linking is not allowed in threads then in a PM plz.
Primary weapons ias counts. The char screen reflects this. I have a Grief with 36% ias in my primary slot and a Breath of the Dying in my secondary slot. When I unequip my Grief, the advanced stats tab jumps from 66% ias to 90% ias.

Steccothal wrote: 2 years ago
Can you link your calculator? If linking is not allowed in threads then in a PM plz.
Primary weapons ias counts. The char screen reflects this. I have a Grief with 36% ias in my primary slot and a Breath of the Dying in my secondary slot. When I unequip my Grief, the advanced stats tab jumps from 66% ias to 90% ias.
thanks man, i actually use a mobile app and some site i found around, don t have the link now
i'll pm you some more info, now it is 1 am here, just killed dclone after a quite long wait so heading straigth to bed

Sweet Lovely Death
Come sweet Death
One Last Caress
I tried out that character planner in the start post and it works perfectly. I need to change my Grief that I currently have to a 38% ias one or I need to wear a
Nosferatu's Coil
. Not my current Barb, but the one I would like to build.
https://d2.maxroll.gg/d2planner/2q0106tc

Khegan 376

It's true that the IAS of the primary weapon is used to calculate
Frenzy
speed, but only if the first attack in the sequence misses or is blocked. If the first attack successfully hits, then the second attack is also involved in attack rate calculation. There was a topic about this long ago on another site that I can't seem to find anymore. However, the difference is hardly noticeable (about 1 frame slower if the first attack lands), so it's not inaccurate to say that primary weapon speed is most important.
OP
I took a closer look at that attack speed calculator built into the paper doll website I linked in my first post. Thanks for pointing that feature out, I didn't realize it was there.

Also, it occurred to me that bosses are immune to Hit Blinds Target and therefore Last Wish is maybe not as flawed as I thought.

Right now I'm leaning towards just remaking a 2nd Grief.

Advertisment

Hide ads

Greetings stranger!

You don't appear to be logged in...